HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who Will the Rangers Target At the Center Position this Summer?

Old
06-22-2014, 01:01 PM
KingWantsCup
Grinch who stole...

vCash: 350
Who Will the Rangers Target At the Center Position this Summer?

Here are a few realistic options that the Rangers have.

Joe Thorton (San Jose)

'13-'14 Regular Season Stats: GP: 82 G: 11 A: 65 PTS: 76 +/-: 20

'13-'14 Playoffs Stats: GP: 7 G: 2 A: 1 PTS: 3 +/-: -6

Contract status: $6.75M AAV, 3 years remaining on current deal.

Paul Stastny (UFA)

'13-'14 Regular Season Stats: GP: 7 G: 5 A: 5 PTS: 60 +/-: 9

'13-'14 Playoffs Stats: GP:7 G: 2 A: 4 PTS: 10 +/-: -1

Contract status: Top UFA of this summer's UFA class, coming fresh off of a 5 year $33M contract at a $6.6M AAV. Will very likely require a 7 year deal. Expect AAV money to be around $6.6M-$7.5M.

Ryan O'Reilly (RFA, Colorado)

'13-'14 Regular Season Stats: GP: 80 G: 28 A: 36 PTS: 64 +/-: -1

'13-'14 Playoffs Stats: GP: 7 G: 2 A: 4 PTS: 6 +/-: 3

Contract status: ROR is a an RFA coming off of a two year, $10M total, $5M AAV deal. Colorado and ROR seem to be on the rocks (again) with their contract negotiations headed to club-elected salary arbitration. The following is from Av's fan writer Jeremy Lambert on fansided.com (you don't need an insider for the following information, so a fan will do). The link to the article is http://milehighsticking.com/2014/06/...lly-situation/

"This all started two years ago when the Avs and O’Reilly couldn’t come to terms on a deal and O’Reilly held out. The Avs wanted O’Reilly to take a two-year “bridge contract” much like Matt Duchene did after his rookie contract was up while O’Reilly wanted to sign a long-term deal right then. The Calgary Flames swooped in with an offer sheet and forced the Avs to sign O’Reilly to a big money two-year deal.

Now the two-year deal is up and the Avs and O’Reilly are once again at a standstill."

ROR signed an offer sheet two years ago so he would definitely do it again. He's looking for security in term and pay around $6.5M AAV.

Nazem Kadri (Toronto)

'13-'14 Regular Season Stats: GP: 78 G: 20 A: 30 PTS: 50 +/-: -11

'13-'14 Playoffs Stats:N/A

Contract status: $2.9M AAV, 1 year remaining on current deal.

Jason Spezza (Ottawa)

'13-'14 Regular Season Stats: GP: 78 G: 23 A: 43 PTS: 66 +/-: -26

'13-'14 Playoff Stats: N/A

Contract status: $7.0M AAV, 1 year remaining on current contract.

Who do you believe the Rangers will target? Who do you believe they should target?

edit: Mods you can keep this or move it, just felt the center issue was a big deal with the Richards BO.

KingWantsCup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 01:03 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
I feel like you're missing the most obvious target.

http://rangersunlimited.com/2014/06/...et-marcel-goc/

#shameless #selfpromotion

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 01:06 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

vCash: 500
I'm in the mega-minority, but I want Spezza. I think Sather and co. look at Thornton and ROR, realize the asking prices are too high, and either get creative with something off the radar (like Goc) or pray Brassard can handle 2C, and Miller can handle 3C.

Do we really want Miller centering MSL, though? ........

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 01:11 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
I'm in the mega-minority, but I want Spezza. I think Sather and co. look at Thornton and ROR, realize the asking prices are too high, and either get creative with something off the radar (like Goc) or pray Brassard can handle 2C, and Miller can handle 3C.

Do we really want Miller centering MSL, though? ........
Yes. Especially over Spezza. If you think Nash can disappear, Spezza takes the soft, invisible cake.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 01:18 PM
BringBackLibertys

Once we take care of signing our own players (even without Boyle), we will not have money for any of these expensive options. I guess Goc could come in at a lower price, but I don't really see any reason to pay him over Miller.

BringBackLibertys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 01:21 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackLibertys View Post
Once we take care of signing our own players (even without Boyle), we will not have money for any of these expensive options. I guess Goc could come in at a lower price, but I don't really see any reason to pay him over Miller.
Because having spots for kids with no serious challengers is a fool's game.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 01:22 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
Yes. Especially over Spezza. If you think Nash can disappear, Spezza takes the soft, invisible cake.
I'm gonna post my thoughts again, I think they're good, dammit!
  • He's on a one year deal, so he provides the perfect stop gap (hopefully) for Miller and/or Lindberg
  • He's a right-handed shot. We are desperately missing another right-handed forward. You can see it in our power play where Stepan is the only one. We have no one available to distribute or potentially shoot from the left-wing circle.
  • In regards to Spezza v. Thornton specifically, Spezza will cost wildly less assets, and again, has that one-year deal
  • Back to the one-year deal, it keeps the window impressively open from this season to next with another legitimate top line center. MSL and Spezza here for one more year. Nice.
  • He's a real 2C, 1C option. Miller is not a real 3C option. Brassard is a fantastic 3C.
  • In terms of Spezza vs. ROR, I have no positive for Spezza in this matter except the right-handedness, and the assets each will cost relatively to each other.
  • Spezza has a history of being a playoff performer. He's just over a point-per-game (literally, one point) for his regular season totals. He's four points under a PPG in the playoffs.
  • 9 goals, 22 points on the PP last season.

I also don't think Nash is soft at all. I actually thought in the general scheme of things, he played a very hard (read: rough) game in the playoffs. He just couldn't score for ****. I don't necessarily equate not scoring with disappearing.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 01:23 PM
pld459666

I think Stastny is the target. Stralman is the casualty here. Well Stralman, Boyle and quite possibly Pouliot.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 01:51 PM
LyNX27

Bryan Little.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 01:53 PM
Lundquest
♔ -30- ♔

vCash: 572
ROR and Kadri definitely intrigue me, in that order. The other two, not so much because age and other factors.

Lundquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 01:53 PM
Calad
Section 422

R'OR or bust. Id love Thornton on this team but he'd cost too much to get here, so he'll end up staying in SJ. Want no part of Spezza and not really keen on Stastny, has the potential to turn into another Brad Richards scenario

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
I'm gonna post my thoughts again, I think they're good, dammit!
  • He's on a one year deal, so he provides the perfect stop gap (hopefully) for Miller and/or Lindberg
  • He's a right-handed shot. We are desperately missing another right-handed forward. You can see it in our power play where Stepan is the only one. We have no one available to distribute or potentially shoot from the left-wing circle.
  • In regards to Spezza v. Thornton specifically, Spezza will cost wildly less assets, and again, has that one-year deal
  • Back to the one-year deal, it keeps the window impressively open from this season to next with another legitimate top line center. MSL and Spezza here for one more year. Nice.
  • He's a real 2C, 1C option. Miller is not a real 3C option. Brassard is a fantastic 3C.
  • In terms of Spezza vs. ROR, I have no positive for Spezza in this matter except the right-handedness, and the assets each will cost relatively to each other.
  • Spezza has a history of being a playoff performer. He's just over a point-per-game (literally, one point) for his regular season totals. He's four points under a PPG in the playoffs.
  • 9 goals, 22 points on the PP last season.

I also don't think Nash is soft at all. I actually thought in the general scheme of things, he played a very hard (read: rough) game in the playoffs. He just couldn't score for ****. I don't necessarily equate not scoring with disappearing.
We've already moved 2 1st round picks in the next 2 years. I don't see spending more assets to acquire a "bridge" to one of our youngsters as a wise move going forward. I'd rather invest them in something that would be here long term (See R'OR)

Calad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 01:55 PM
JeffMangum
Man Girardi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
Come on. I am very high on Miller, but Spezza blows him out of the water right now. He's a legit 1C. But his health concerns me. I don't particularly want to make a move for him, but it would be far from the worst thing in the world (unless we massively overpay).

06-22-2014, 01:56 PM
Lundsanity30

Miller centering MSL?? oh God.. and I dont hate Miller at all but that's a train wreck waiting to happen.

Lundsanity30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 01:57 PM
LotsOfHags
Hag You Much

Send a message via AIM to LotsOfHags Send a message via Yahoo to LotsOfHags
I don't know about you guys but I'm all for letting the young kids play. No more stop gaps. Let the kids play. Stop trying to sign a center and see what Miller can do throughout the year.

Sign some players that give us depth and let the kids show us what they can do. Lindberg, Fast, Kristo, and the rest of them.

LotsOfHags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 01:58 PM
Lundsanity30

Only reason I dont want spezza is the price because were in the east. 30 goal scoring big center with a right handed shot

Old
06-22-2014, 01:59 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotsOfHags View Post
I don't know about you guys but I'm all for letting the young kids play. No more stop gaps. Let the kids play. Stop trying to sign a center and see what Miller can do throughout the year.

Sign some players that give us depth and let the kids show us what they can do. Lindberg, Fast, Kristo, and the rest of them.
Are we going to be edmonton now? Because with all their young talent theyre always contenders..

Old
06-22-2014, 02:00 PM
NYR1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calad View Post
R'OR or bust. Id love Thornton on this team but he'd cost too much to get here, so he'll end up staying in SJ. Want no part of Spezza and not really keen on Stastny, has the potential to turn into another Brad Richards scenario

We've already moved 2 1st round picks in the next 2 years. I don't see spending more assets to acquire a "bridge" to one of our youngsters as a wise move going forward. I'd rather invest them in something that would be here long term (See R'OR)
I get why ROR looks attractive, I just don't like the idea of a guy who has held his team hostage over salary (twice now, I think, but I could be wrong) in a young impressionable locker room like ours.

NYR1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 02:06 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Much happier to go with Miller/Lindberg/some bargain FA signing at 3C rather than go after Spezza/Thornton/Stastny. Kadri or ROR could be interesting, depending on the price, but I have reservations about both. I continue to hope for something outside the box. If we're dealing Staal, I want a guy like Coyle, Zibanejad or Bjugstad back. Maybe one of the Buffalo centers - or someone like McD that the scouting staff has long coveted, but is not on our collective radar.

The key is to identify the next Schiefele/Johansen/Galchenyuk BEFORE he breaks out and becomes unattainable.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 02:09 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I think Stastny is the target. Stralman is the casualty here. Well Stralman, Boyle and quite possibly Pouliot.
Precisely what I'm thinking. if we cut those 3 lose, get Zucc + Brass signed for under 4 a piece, we could afford to give Stastny 7-7.5

Kreider-Stastny-Nash
Zucc-Brass-MSL
Hag-Step-Miller
Carc-Moore-Fast

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 02:13 PM
Matt4776
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 143
JT Miller.

Matt4776 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 02:14 PM
Lundsanity30

[QUOTE=BrooklynRangersFan;86781095]Much happier to go with Miller/Lindberg/some bargain FA signing at 3C rather than go after Spezza/Thornton/Stastny. Kadri or ROR could be interesting, depending on the price, but I have reservations about both. I continue to hope for something outside the box. If we're dealing Staal, I want a guy like Coyle, Zibanejad or Bjugstad back. Maybe one of the Buffalo centers - or someone like McD that the scouting staff has long coveted, but is not on our collective radar.

The key is to identify the next Schiefele/Johansen/Galchenyuk BEFORE he breaks out and becomes unattainable.[/QUOTE]

actually that's what drafting is for, but we blow at that..

Old
06-22-2014, 02:29 PM
jerseyjinx94
I jinx players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotsOfHags View Post

Yeah, I think the idea is to acquire a guy who can play to start the year, with the hopes that if an injury occurs Miller can establish himself a legitimate NHL player.

Locking yourself into a 4-5 year deal on a guy like Legwand is not prudent, and dealing Miller for a guy like Spezza or Thornton is not prudent either, in the cap world.

We need to have flexibility after next year to sign MSL/Stepan/Hagelin/Staal.

That's going to be a ****** ****ing offseason.

jerseyjinx94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 02:31 PM
jerseyjinx94
I jinx players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Ranger View Post
Precisely what I'm thinking. if we cut those 3 lose, get Zucc + Brass signed for under 4 a piece, we could afford to give Stastny 7-7.5

Kreider-Stastny-Nash
Zucc-Brass-MSL
Hag-Step-Miller
Carc-Moore-Fast
And then next year how do we sign Hagelin/Stepan/MSL with two players making $7.5M already on offense and no second pairing on defense.

jerseyjinx94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 02:33 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
Here are a few realistic options that the Rangers have.

Joe Thorton (San Jose)

'13-'14 Regular Season Stats: GP: 82 G: 11 A: 65 PTS: 76 +/-: 20

'13-'14 Playoffs Stats: GP: 7 G: 2 A: 1 PTS: 3 +/-: -6

Contract status: $6.75M AAV, 3 years remaining on current deal.

Paul Stastny (UFA)

'13-'14 Regular Season Stats: GP: 7 G: 5 A: 5 PTS: 60 +/-: 9

'13-'14 Playoffs Stats: GP:7 G: 2 A: 4 PTS: 10 +/-: -1

Contract status: Top UFA of this summer's UFA class, coming fresh off of a 5 year $33M contract at a $6.6M AAV. Will very likely require a 7 year deal. Expect AAV money to be around $6.6M-$7.5M.

Ryan O'Reilly (RFA, Colorado)

'13-'14 Regular Season Stats: GP: 80 G: 28 A: 36 PTS: 64 +/-: -1

'13-'14 Playoffs Stats: GP: 7 G: 2 A: 4 PTS: 6 +/-: 3

Contract status: ROR is a an RFA coming off of a two year, $10M total, $5M AAV deal. Colorado and ROR seem to be on the rocks (again) with their contract negotiations headed to club-elected salary arbitration. The following is from Av's fan writer Jeremy Lambert on fansided.com (you don't need an insider for the following information, so a fan will do). The link to the article is http://milehighsticking.com/2014/06/...lly-situation/

"This all started two years ago when the Avs and O’Reilly couldn’t come to terms on a deal and O’Reilly held out. The Avs wanted O’Reilly to take a two-year “bridge contract” much like Matt Duchene did after his rookie contract was up while O’Reilly wanted to sign a long-term deal right then. The Calgary Flames swooped in with an offer sheet and forced the Avs to sign O’Reilly to a big money two-year deal.

Now the two-year deal is up and the Avs and O’Reilly are once again at a standstill."

ROR signed an offer sheet two years ago so he would definitely do it again. He's looking for security in term and pay around $6.5M AAV.

Nazem Kadri (Toronto)

'13-'14 Regular Season Stats: GP: 78 G: 20 A: 30 PTS: 50 +/-: -11

'13-'14 Playoffs Stats:N/A

Contract status: $2.9M AAV, 1 year remaining on current deal.

Jason Spezza (Ottawa)

'13-'14 Regular Season Stats: GP: 78 G: 23 A: 43 PTS: 66 +/-: -26

'13-'14 Playoff Stats: N/A

Contract status: $7.0M AAV, 1 year remaining on current contract.

Who do you believe the Rangers will target? Who do you believe they should target?

edit: Mods you can keep this or move it, just felt the center issue was a big deal with the Richards BO.
Hopefully none of these guys.

Im for signing a relatively cheap guy like Grabovski or Goc and having that player battle with Miller for the 3C spot.

These other guys? Too much money, too many assets, too much risk.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 02:34 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Yea. Who needs depth when you can be underwhelmed by a wildly expensive Paul Stastny?

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote