HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Stan Fishler: Am i the only one who can't stand him?

Old
03-28-2007, 01:11 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
It's not that he doesn't have a grasp on the history of the game it's just that he more or less shills for whoever will pay him--mostly the Isles, Devs or Rangers. There's very little you get from him during a pregame and I wouldn't mind if they found a replacement who could add some real substance.
I think they're trying to find that between-periods guy. Glenn Anderson has done a little of that. There were rumors earlier that they wanted to get Leetch to do it. Seems like they can't find the right guy to pair with Trautwig or Giannone.

03-28-2007, 01:23 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I think they're trying to find that between-periods guy. Glenn Anderson has done a little of that. There were rumors earlier that they wanted to get Leetch to do it. Seems like they can't find the right guy to pair with Trautwig or Giannone.
As much as I love him, Leetchie would be AWFUL. He's too quite. Richter or Beuk would be great. Graves would be cool, too.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 01:24 PM
shmekel

Quote:
I've never liked him. The biggest problem I have is the way he's presented. If he was treated like an old, lovable curmudgeon it would be one thing. But MSG uses him like he's some sort of hockey insider and an "expert". And that's just not the case. Stan's a character more than he's a legitimate hockey source for insider info or info period.
Seriously. He's like the Andy Rooney of the NY hockey scene. He'd be so much more tolerable if, like you said, he was presented like the putz he is.

shmekel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 01:25 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
As much as I love him, Leetchie would be AWFUL. He's too quite. Richter or Beuk would be great. Graves would be cool, too.
Agreed. Not sure Graves would be the right choice either.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 01:27 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Agreed. Not sure Graves would be the right choice either.
Yeah, he's probably too quite, too. You need someone with some character that might be entertaining as well as informative.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 01:28 PM
shmekel

Well, Richter certainly seems to have the best personality for the job, IMO.

shmekel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 02:10 PM
HenrikO'doyle

I cant stand him, hes annoying.

HenrikO'doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 02:16 PM
HockeyBurd*

He's unlistenable to. His understanding of what's actually going on on the ice leaves a lot to be desired. I have no clue how he has risen to his position.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 02:30 PM
DevFan-RU-

Send a message via AIM to DevFan-RU-
He's a genius!

PP + S = G.

DevFan-RU- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 02:44 PM
94now

Quote:
That's basically what I said earlier in the thread. He's not an analyst and he's not a insider. He is a throwback who could do very interesting expose pieces.
No one is. MSG intentionally avoids any serious analytical presentation assuming it might be boring for many. They stick to entertaining the public rather then inform it. There's nothing new in the approach like that... Maven is, in other words, doing exactly what he was told i.e. to play a "hockey clown". Clowns for the most part annoy audience, unless it is comprised of little kids or idiots. Since Dolan is both he must be liking Stan alot.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 02:49 PM
Onion Boy

I like Stan.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 02:59 PM
Stoney La Rock

Stan's harmless. He really does have an incredible knowledge of the game - he just doesn't always present it in the right way...that whole Chuck the Duck or whatever its name is thing that he does for the Devils drives me up the wall, but I guess it serves some kind of purpose.

I'm pretty sure we'd have to consider Stan an Isles guy at heart, no? And doesn't anyone else but me remember during the early or mid-80's, Stan's son had some kind of heart problem and a lot of the players really rallied around him? Maybe I'm losing my mind - it's all downhill after 35 - but I vividly remember that.

Stoney La Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 03:05 PM
eco's bones

Richter would probably be great--but I think Richter has other things in mind than hockey. Anderson might be good. Is Eddie O still with the Penguins? He might be good too. Darius?

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 03:06 PM
Fletch

forechecker...

don't you think Graves would be as quiet as Leetch?

I actually disagree on Richter - can't put my finger on as to why - I think he'd actually be a bit stiff in the booth.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 03:07 PM
Phil333

I agree, I feel he's knowledgeable overall but he a) is annoying and b) doesn't add much substantial.

Phil333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 03:13 PM
joe_shannon_1983*

Send a message via MSN to joe_shannon_1983*
How can anyone call Stan Fischler a "good hockey historian" or "very knowledgeable about the game"?

This is the same guy who said Wayne Gretzky wouldn't have been able to crack the Maple Leafs during the 1950's.

How can a guy like that have any credibility?

joe_shannon_1983* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 03:27 PM
Fletch

Personally...

I didn't say 'hockey historian'. I actually enjoyed his piece on the NY subways and the end of the red cars.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 03:28 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
don't you think Graves would be as quiet as Leetch?

I actually disagree on Richter - can't put my finger on as to why - I think he'd actually be a bit stiff in the booth.
Stiff no. But I could see him being too vocal and talking too much to get quick points across.

Old
03-28-2007, 03:29 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Richter would probably be great--but I think Richter has other things in mind than hockey. Anderson might be good. Is Eddie O still with the Penguins? He might be good too. Darius?
Eddie O was mentioned as being a candidate to replace JD but he got a job with another team (not the Pens). Kaspar does not have a good enough grasp of the English language, IMO.

Old
03-28-2007, 03:37 PM
RedLightDistrict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
I love Stan. Actually, I love all the New York area hockey personalities:

Stan, Steve, Joe, Howie, Sam, Deb, Billy, Doc, Chico, and whoever else I'm forgetting.
Same here, although I'm more obligated to like Stan, especially considering at one point i worked for the guy.

RedLightDistrict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 03:47 PM
PJGooch

I used to work for Stan as well. What people don't take into account much is that he is basically working for all three teams, so at one time or another a fan of one team will think he's a homer for another team, then a fan of that team will think he's a fan of another team, and on and on.

He's also really a writer first. He has dozens of published books under his belt, the latest of which -- the Subway book -- is quite good. Contrary to belief, he's a wealth of hockey knowledge -- though I can see how some may not care for his in-game analysis.

PJGooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 03:57 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJGooch View Post
I used to work for Stan as well. What people don't take into account much is that he is basically working for all three teams, so at one time or another a fan of one team will think he's a homer for another team, then a fan of that team will think he's a fan of another team, and on and on.

He's also really a writer first. He has dozens of published books under his belt, the latest of which -- the Subway book -- is quite good. Contrary to belief, he's a wealth of hockey knowledge -- though I can see how some may not care for his in-game analysis.
I don't have a problem with him being a homer. It's the fact that he says things without justifying anything that bothers me.

Old
03-28-2007, 04:04 PM
RedLightDistrict

Quote:
I don't have a problem with him being a homer. It's the fact that he says things without justifying anything that bothers me.
That can be a trait he does seem to exhibit from time to time. But if you've ever seen the guy, he's actually a workorse when it comes to doing his research, but yes, as PJGooch suggested, broadcasting isnt exactly his forte.

RedLightDistrict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 04:11 PM
eco's bones

We already have Trautwig with all his trivial b.s.--Stan is pretty much mining the same lode of nonsense. It's just overkill. There's no analysis that amounts to anything from either one of them. As for Stan's books I have a couple of them and I've read several others though it's been probably about 20 years or so since the last one--for the most part nothing all that extraordinary--o.t. a little the best Ranger book was written by Larry Sloman--though now that I see there's another thread about Rangers books the Barry Meisel one--Losing the edge--mentioned is excellent too.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 04:16 PM
Salz

Fischler was really bad during the lockout. He was basically a mouthpiece for the owners during their battle with the players. He sarcastically mocked the players arguments and bashed Goodenow to no end. It was really rather disgraceful. You didn't see one bad word about Bettman and the NHL Board of Governors in his articles. He was their puppet, probably a paid one too.

Salz is offline   Reply With Quote