HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 Offseason - Roster Building / Trade Speculation Thread III

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2014, 07:49 PM
jerseyjinx94
I jinx players.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Sather View Post
1) Made up stat alert
2) I'm sure you're basing this on your vast amount of seeing the Coyotes 4 times last year. Twice? Nine? Zero? Do you actually watch them? Are you making your read on Yandle based on anything?
Dude McDonagh>Yandle AINEC

Old
06-22-2014, 07:53 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Doughty, Keith, Karlsson, Weber, Subban (since he won it last year) and now to a lesser extent Chara due to his age, are Norris caliber.

Yandle isn't.

Old
06-22-2014, 08:03 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
Winnik-Moore-Fast is a terrible 4th line?
Yes.

Old
06-22-2014, 08:03 PM
Evil Sather
YOU KILL THE JOE

If McDonagh and Yandle have a gap, it's a really, really small one.

Norris consideration, outside of like Suter, Weber, and now Doughty is going to be flavor of the month stuff (Karlsson is a prime example being that he's actually not good at defending, Yandle is as well when he came out of nowhere and now its expected he get 50 points so ho hum), or guy with randomly higher point totals / team becomes super stingy and he's the leader.

But yeah sure, McDonagh #1 GOAT Good Ol' American Boy etc. and so on. Who cares.

Old
06-22-2014, 08:05 PM
Evil Sather
YOU KILL THE JOE

Back to the subject at hand, the Rangers don't have an asset or group of assets outside of McDonagh to get Yandle, so no, Staal + will not be enough. Especially with Staal coming up on a new contract - they have no money, if they want to pay market rate for Staal they could just wait for him to go FA.

Old
06-22-2014, 08:07 PM
ElectrocutedCat

McDonagh needs more recognition regarding the Norris.

Doughty is fawned over, but McDonagh out scored him in the regular season, had one less point in the playoffs, and is the better defensive player.

The Norris is supposed to be awarded to the best overall defenseman, not the points leader amongst defensemen, or who Canadian media latches onto at the time.

Old
06-22-2014, 08:08 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
How so? Fast is very good defensively as is Moore. Moore is great at defensive zone faceoffs. Winnik is also good in his own end and can chip in a few.

And Bird in my scenario I moved Dorsett to add some more cap space. I personally don't think he's very good and was riding on the coattails of Boyle/Moore.

That said if Boyle didn't price himself out I'd 100% take him over Winnik.
Dorsett wasn't very good? When he was healthy, he was excellent. The only issue with him is that he has had some injury problems.

Old
06-22-2014, 08:09 PM
ElectrocutedCat

If we lose Boyle, it would be a HUGE loss.

Old
Lundsanity30

If we're not going to upgrade at center, we need to get some guys who can play with size.

Old
Evil Sather
YOU KILL THE JOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectrocutedCat View Post
McDonagh needs more recognition regarding the Norris.

Doughty is fawned over, but McDonagh out scored him in the regular season, had one less point in the playoffs, and is the better defensive player.

The Norris is supposed to be awarded to the best overall defenseman, not the points leader amongst defensemen, or who Canadian media latches onto at the time.
Doughty is a significantly better player. lol he was arguably Canada's best defenseman the Olympics in 2010 as a 20 year old.

Old
06-22-2014, 08:11 PM
Lundsanity30

I'd like Boyle back..

but I'd have no problem with a line of Fast/Lindberg-Moore-Dorsett on the 4th line.. could maybe grab someone else like Winnik or something instead.. Moore can do almost everything Boyle can for a fraction of the cost IMO.. boyle is gonna get paid.

Old
06-22-2014, 08:12 PM
Evil Sather
YOU KILL THE JOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
If we're not going to upgrade at center, we need to get some guys who can play with size.
This is reasonable, but this is why you trade a guy like Staal for a pair of young, speedy hitters for the bottom 6. You can't keep it all, but outside of Miller we're really unlikely to graduate any AHL guys outside of maybe Conor Allen.

We've signed guys for the 4th line in the last few years and they've been busts. Rupp, Asham, Halpern, Powe, I feel like there are others. Grinding ages you. The ones who have worked out, Prust, Dorsett, have been in their mid 20s when we traded for them.

Moore is an exception for a variety of reasons.

Old
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird Law View Post
Yes.
If it's because of Fast, then I can see your point. However, Winnik and Moore are great 4th line players.

Old
Lundquest
♔ -30- ♔

vCash: 772
Quote:
I'd like Boyle back..

but I'd have no problem with a line of Fast/Lindberg-Moore-Dorsett on the 4th line.. could maybe grab someone else like Winnik or something instead.. Moore can do almost everything Boyle can for a fraction of the cost IMO.. boyle is gonna get paid.
I think it's pretty unlikely Boyle ends up back with the Rangers. He had a good showing in the playoffs and some team out there will pay him and give him the opportunity for more playing time.

Old
06-22-2014, 08:16 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
If it's because of Fast, then I can see your point. However, Winnik and Moore are great 4th line players.
I tell ya.. I'd rather Fast on the 4th line than Miller centering the 3rd thats for sure.. in a perfect world anyway.

Old
06-22-2014, 08:16 PM
Evil Sather
YOU KILL THE JOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundquest View Post
I think it's pretty unlikely Boyle ends up back with the Rangers. He had a good showing in the playoffs and some team out there will pay him and give him the opportunity for more playing time.
Boyle can put up 30 points in the right situation, I can see him getting like 3/9 or something.

He's a bad sign because as soon as he loses a little speed he's donezo as a player. He'll also not be able to block shots and not break bones forever, you gotta walk away.

Old
06-22-2014, 08:18 PM
Lundsanity30

What would Steve Ott look for? could we afford him?

Old
06-22-2014, 08:20 PM
Evil Sather
YOU KILL THE JOE

Quote:
What would Steve Ott look for? could we afford him?
Ott was TERRIBLE in st. louis. He's an old, old 31. 150+ PIM agitators age poorly.

I'd guess he looks for 3/9 or 4/10 or something. It's def. his last significant deal.

Old
06-22-2014, 08:22 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Ott was TERRIBLE in st. louis. He's an old, old 31. 150+ PIM agitators age poorly.

I'd guess he looks for 3/9 or 4/10 or something. It's def. his last significant deal.
Didn't pay much attention to STL was he really that bad?

Old
06-22-2014, 08:23 PM
Lundsanity30

If we lose both Pouilot and Boyle we'd literally have no size outside of Kreider, and Nash well when he doesn't want to play like a ***** that is.

Old
06-22-2014, 08:24 PM
Evil Sather
YOU KILL THE JOE

Quote:
Didn't pay much attention to STL was he really that bad?
Really, really bad. lol

Old
06-22-2014, 08:25 PM
Lundquest
♔ -30- ♔

vCash: 772
Quote:
If we lose both Pouilot and Boyle we'd literally have no size outside of Kreider, and Nash well when he doesn't want to play like a ***** that is.
Yup. That could certainly end up being a problem.

Old
06-22-2014, 08:38 PM
Evil Sather
YOU KILL THE JOE

A big shakeup deal I'd like to see would be Staal and Zuccarello to Anaheim for Vatanen and 2 of Smith-Pelly, Etem, Palmieri, Bonino, or Silfverberg.

IDK if its exact even value, but Getzlaf and Perry aren't getting younger and they could use a bookend for Fowler and Lindholm. Selanne retired so they'll have a RW hole and iirc Beauchemin faded last year and who wants to lean on Bryan Allen?

They have a huge amount of capspace too so absorbing the hit wouldn't be all that hard.

Old
06-22-2014, 08:42 PM
dethomas07

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjinx94 View Post
Re posting this.

I don't understand why a 45 point 2C is terrible. The Top 30 Centers in the NHL last year scored 54 points. Derick Brassard was 48th among centers in points with 45. That puts him squarely in the middle of the 2C pack.

Furthermore, only 14 teams in the NHL had 2 centers that were ranked ahead of Brass. That's according to the NHL.com at least. Some of those "centers" probably played wing, like O'Reilly (who's on there).

Those teams are:
PIT 2 (Crosby, Malkin)
ANA 2 (Getlzaf, Bonino)
SJ 3 (Thornton, Pavelski , Couture)
LA 2 (Kopitar, Carter)
COL 4 (Duchene, O'Reilly, MacKinnon, Stastny)
BOS 3 (Krejci, Bergeron, Soderberg)
NYI 2 (Tavares, Nielsen)
OTT 2 (Spezza, Turris)
CBJ 2 (Johansen, Dubinsky)
NSH 2 (Smith, Fisher)
TB 2 (Filppula, Johnson)
TOR 2 (Kadri, Bozak)
CGY 2 (Hudler, Cammalleri)
PHX 2 (Ribeiro, Vermette)

NYR 2 (Stepan, Brassard)

Of those 14 teams, 6 missed the playoffs (NYI, OTT, NSH, TOR, CGY, PHX). Of the remaining 8 playoff teams - 1 won the Stanley Cup (LA), 2 made the Conference Finals (NYR-LA), 5 made the second round (BOS-NYR-PIT-ANA-LA), and 4 were bounced in the first round (COL, CBJ, TB, SJ).

The rest of the playoff teams had only 1 center who scored more points than Derick Brassard.

CHI - Toews (Conference Finals)
DAL - Seguin (Round 1)
MON - Desharnais (Conference Finals)
MIN - Koivu (Round 2)
STL - Backes (Round 1)
PHI - Giroux (Round 1)
DET - Legwand (not even half a year?)

We need to stop acting like this is a huge deal if Brassard only scores 45 points. It seems that 45 points would be enough for a 2C.

And the whole "we need to replace his 51 points" - as others alluded to, Kreider's production is likely to increase, whoever we get to play 3C will score some, MSL's will be there for a full season, and even if he doesn't light the world on fire, whatever he puts up that outproduces Callahan of last year would go to the 51 needed to replace Richards. Increases maybe for Zucc and Stepan.

I'm not that concerned about Brass as a 2C. I think he's really underrated and can still blossom. Go ahead...call me crazy.
i like what you said here..

brass is a top 6 center.. and FYI for you guys... richards played avg 18+ mins a night while brass was 14-15mins... more mins this coming year will be more impact full for him, pt totals, and really show his worth.. i rather sign from/promote from within then keep $$$$$$ big money.. let Miller take 3c and let it ride..

Old
06-22-2014, 08:43 PM
Raspewtin
Early To The Party

vCash: 470
Quote:

Agreed, Ott is REALLY going downhill.