HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers books

Old
03-28-2007, 03:39 PM
kickice

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to kickice
Rangers books

Hi folks.

Got a nice old Rangers book today, I bought it from Amazon (cost me a grand total of 5 including shipping from the US to the UK ), it's the Rangers 'Broadway's Longest Running Hit' book from a few years back. It's great.

anyway, a question - there is some blank pages in it! Just wondering if this is how the books are, or if mine is a bit of an odd copy. It's only a few, and they are not hampering on anything (ie they dont cut off in the middle of an article or anything).

Another question, what other good Rangers books are there? I have the Rangers 75th anniversary book, which I bought at the Garden when I was over in January, thats a really nice book as well.

kickice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 03:55 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickice View Post
Hi folks.

Got a nice old Rangers book today, I bought it from Amazon (cost me a grand total of 5 including shipping from the US to the UK ), it's the Rangers 'Broadway's Longest Running Hit' book from a few years back. It's great.

anyway, a question - there is some blank pages in it! Just wondering if this is how the books are, or if mine is a bit of an odd copy. It's only a few, and they are not hampering on anything (ie they dont cut off in the middle of an article or anything).

Another question, what other good Rangers books are there? I have the Rangers 75th anniversary book, which I bought at the Garden when I was over in January, thats a really nice book as well.
Start collecting the yearly media guides. theyre fun.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 04:06 PM
TheRedressor

Nightmare on 34th Street is a must read for all the Sather haters. It outlines in a day-to-day journal the entire 2000-2001 season from the weeks before Glen Sather was hired as President and General Manager and goes all the way up to the Rangers missing out on Jagr and instead trading for Lindros. Excellent read. It also makes you appreciate our prospect pool!

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 04:26 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Another great read is Losing the Edge: The Rise and Fall of the Stanley Cup Champion New York Ranger by Barry Meisel. A very interesting look into the '94 season. It focuses heavily on the behind the scene things between Smith and Keenan and Keenan's ultimate bolt to St. Louis. It concludes with Campbell taking over.

03-28-2007, 04:34 PM
TheRedressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Another great read is Losing the Edge: The Rise and Fall of the Stanley Cup Champion New York Ranger by Barry Meisel. A very interesting look into the '94 season. It focuses heavily on the behind the scene things between Smith and Keenan and Keenan's ultimate bolt to St. Louis. It concludes with Campbell taking over.

Hmm that actually sounds like something positive to read about, unlike my suggestion. Where could I pick one of these up? Borders/B&N?

Old
03-28-2007, 04:36 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post
Hmm that actually sounds like something positive to read about, unlike my suggestion. Where could I pick one of these up? Borders/B&N?
http://www.amazon.com/Losing-Edge-St...5111931&sr=1-1

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 04:43 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Two quick stories from the book:

1) Keenan hated Mike Gartner and Mike Hartman. One game the Rangers were losing late in the game. Both Gartner and Hartman has played little and had been benched for the entire third. With about 3 minutes left Keenan yells "Mike Gartman! Get out there!" Gartner and Hartman didn't know who he was talking to.

2) Glen Healey gave an interview where he said there was a big difference between Keenan and Al Arbour. He was vague but hinted that he liked Arbour and didn't like Keenan. Keenan hauls Healey into his office to yell at and intimidate him. He said, "Tell me, what's the difference between me and Arbour?" Healey replies. "4 rings." Keenan yells "GET THE @#$! OUT OF MY OFFICE!"

Old
03-28-2007, 04:46 PM
RedLightDistrict

Quote:
Hi folks.

The most recent book by John Halligan detailing various Rangers greats favorite games is a good read. Metro Ice is always a good coffe table size book to thumb through occasionally.

RedLightDistrict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 04:49 PM
TheRedressor

Quote:
Two quick stories from the book:

1) Keenan hated Mike Gartner and Mike Hartman. One game the Rangers were losing late in the game. Both Gartner and Hartman has played little and had been benched for the entire third. With about 3 minutes left Keenan yells "Mike Gartman! Get out there!" Gartner and Hartman didn't know who he was talking to.

2) Glen Healey gave an interview where he said there was a big difference between Keenan and Al Arbour. He was vague but hinted that he liked Arbour and didn't like Keenan. Keenan hauls Healey into his office to yell at and intimidate him. He said, "Tell me, what's the difference between me and Arbour?" Healey replies. "4 rings." Keenan yells "GET THE @#$! OUT OF MY OFFICE!"
LMAO im gonna have to pick this up.

Old
03-29-2007, 12:17 PM
kickice

Send a message via MSN to kickice
Quote:

Is that Barry Meisel as in the 'Meigray' jerseys guy? I met him time before last I was over, I went over to Meigray offices in New Jersey to pick up my Prucha pre season jersey
<--------------------

Very cool guy he is.

kickice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 12:20 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Is that Barry Meisel as in the 'Meigray' jerseys guy? I met him time before last I was over, I went over to Meigray offices in New Jersey to pick up my Prucha pre season jersey
<--------------------

Very cool guy he is.
I don't know.

Old
03-29-2007, 12:42 PM
BernieNicholls9

Another really good Rangers book is , Thin Ice : A Season In Hell by Larry Sloman, it deals with the 79-80 rangers the year after they went to the finals, its got alot of really good stories about the fans and the players on and off the ice.
Also collecting the media guides is pretty interesting, I have every one since 1967-68

BernieNicholls9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 02:14 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
What's a pre season jersey?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 02:34 PM
FmmF3*

#58 rather than 25.

FmmF3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 03:14 PM
streen1000

Send a message via MSN to streen1000
I bought that Messier book, aptly named "Messier". It was pretty good tbh.

streen1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 06:41 PM
Gamma82

Quote:
Thanks for the recommmendation, just picked it up from Amazon for $5 bucks, don't think I can go wrong with that.

Gamma82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 11:57 PM
frozenrubber

Forgotten

A forgotten book would have to be

Broadway Blues by Frank Brown.

This book covers the disastrous 92-3 season, Roger Nielson's firing; the Ricther/Beezer controversy (Richter struggled mightly), Neil Smith's trade for Lindros, and the lead up to the cup.

It's still amazing to think of the possible package the Rangers gave up for Lindros:

Kovalev
Weight
Amonte
Vanbiesbrouck(Beezer was a UFA, so James Patrick if he didn't sign), #1 pick in 93, 94 and 96
$12 million.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 02:25 AM
mucker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
A forgotten book would have to be

Broadway Blues by Frank Brown.

This book covers the disastrous 92-3 season, Roger Nielson's firing; the Ricther/Beezer controversy (Richter struggled mightly), Neil Smith's trade for Lindros, and the lead up to the cup.

It's still amazing to think of the possible package the Rangers gave up for Lindros:

Kovalev
Weight
Amonte
Vanbiesbrouck(Beezer was a UFA, so James Patrick if he didn't sign), #1 pick in 93, 94 and 96
$12 million.
Why is it when I went on amazon.com I couldn't find this or many the 79-80 title?
Where and how do you know of these?

Are there any books on the history of the Rangers, comprehsive, you could recommend?

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote