HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why is it always up and down like this?

Old
03-28-2007, 01:34 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

vCash: 500
There's already another thread like this with someone with a "holier than thou" attitude calling out every other Ranger fan on the board for "flip-flopping" when it hasn't happened recently.

To you people that are doing this...

Get a life.

And Mods, start locking these kinds of threads, please.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 04:47 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
Show their passion or whine uncontrollably?
I guess the answer you are looking for is whine uncontrollably.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 06:16 PM
Pruch025

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 View Post
There's already another thread like this with someone with a "holier than thou" attitude calling out every other Ranger fan on the board for "flip-flopping" when it hasn't happened recently.

To you people that are doing this...

Get a life.

And Mods, start locking these kinds of threads, please.
Wait a minute. You are asking the mods to lock a thread because you don't agree with what is being said?

But it's ok for fans to rant and rave all day long?

Cmon, gimme a break.

Pruch025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 06:20 PM
Pruch025

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post
To answer the original poster: Nature of the beast? Ranger fans are INHERENTLY flip/flop types. They are very proud of their team and are quick to show them in a different light. That said, when things look good, they look real god. But, on the other end of the spectrum, when things look grim, they look real bad. How many times do you hear booing then cheering come from the same fans, to the same players every game at the Garden? Ranger fans expect a lot, an are a rough crowd who are quick to flip. Definitely a tough town to play for, but when you do good, they treat you the best.
Well said. But I think it's gotten beyond absurd now. In all the major sports pretty much.

I mean this is a town that booed Arod all year after he wins an MVP (I'm not even a Yankee fan). They boo Beltran during the 1st week of his second season. They always say it's a tough place to play for. The flip/flop stuff is only part of it. I think there is also the nature in many to want to taunt opposing fans. Sometimes, I think fans just watch so they can taunt. Hence the "potvin sucks" chant so often now. During an Isles game, I get it. When it's all the time, it makes us Ranger fans look dumb and makes us look like we think about the Isles all the time. It's kind of like how sometimes you will hear "yankees suck" chants at Patriot games.

I also agree with the one poster who spoke about the maturity level. My stomach still turns during games but I'm not about to go off after each one.

I think my biggest pet peeve is when the coach gets secondguessed. When people think that their ideas are better than the coach. I always wonder why they are posting their coaching theories here and not an NHL coach themselves.

Old
03-28-2007, 06:38 PM
Fletch

Rangers fans are flip-floppers...

because over the better part of ten seasons, none of their teams have shown any kind of consistency and have been flawed and were teases. The Rangers fans' emotions went up and down with the play of the Rangers. It was very frustrating to say the least.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 06:49 PM
Pruch025

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
because over the better part of ten seasons, none of their teams have shown any kind of consistency and have been flawed and were teases. The Rangers fans' emotions went up and down with the play of the Rangers. It was very frustrating to say the least.
But there are so many newer fans doing this. The Potvin sucks chants have gotten to happen way more often than they used to happen. i swear it's like 25 times per game even if they are playing the Blue Jackets.

I think it's just the NY fanbase. The Yankees haven't teased their fans. They get there, have won some too. But they still boo. I just wish it was more like how it is up in Canada. The only US city I know of that shows that type of support is St Louis.

Old
03-29-2007, 08:59 AM
Fletch

The Yankees are booed...

because they have by far the league's largest payroll and the expectation is to win the World Series each season - when the team falters, fans feel compelled to boo.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 11:04 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

This fan stuff is also a product of 7 years out of the post season.

The Rangers have to build that respect back and it may take more than a few seasons.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 11:14 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

It's one bad game in how many? I mean seriously, you could see this game coming. Just like Renney said in the post-game.

They'll smack the Flyers around somethin' awful on Saturday.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 02:45 PM
Pruch025

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
because they have by far the league's largest payroll and the expectation is to win the World Series each season - when the team falters, fans feel compelled to boo.
That's part of it but I also think it's the fanbase in NY. It's not just in sports. Look at something like pro wrestling. When they hold events in NYC or like Philly, the crowd is always a bunch of "wiseguys" who come up with many taunting chants.

If you go to other cities, many people tend to think we, as NYers, think we are better than everyone else. There might be some truth to that when it comes to this stuff. We expect pretty much to win it all. While that is good to always strive for success, it also brings impatience sometimes.

I know the fans are passionate but I would also contend that the fans in Montreal were MORE passionate because when the team was starting to blow the lead, they cheered much louder to show support and the Habs came around. In NY, it would have been silent or a bunch of booing and I"m almost sure the Rangers would have blown the lead.