HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

What if a shootout decides who's in the PO's?

Old
03-28-2007, 04:23 PM
SML

vCash: 500
What if a shootout decides who's in the PO's?

I was talking the other day about how this eastern race is tighter than any I have ever seen. It came up, what the heck would happen if it came down to the last day of the season and a shootout determines who gets in and who doesn't ? The last day of the season has Montreal vs. Toronto, two teams that could very well come down to the final day. How would the league react? How would fans feel? I can't imagine the outrage if either one of these teams were to be eliminated from the playoffs under these circumstances. Would it change your opinion about using the shootout to determine something that important, basically a one game playoff series? I don't know how i would feel if the Rangers got knocked out because they got beat at the "skills competition" but I hope I don't find out...

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 04:25 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

If a team has to face that ending then its their own fault for not getting enough points the rest of the 80 plus games they played.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 04:26 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
A team should have played better early in the season so as to not have to rely on help from other teams on the last day of the season.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 04:35 PM
hlundqvist30*

Teams have to realize the shootout is part of the game. Whether you like it or not is a different story. It isn't like Gary Bettman surprised them with the shootout, the teams should know that the shootout could and will affect a lot. Think about the team we have this year and had last year, and think of their shootout success. Now think about how well we would have done without the shootout. Both teams were built for the shootout, with Jagr, Sykora, Prucha, Nylander, Straka, Cullen, Shanahan, et al. If not for our shootout success, we'd probably be talking about catching the 8th spot rigght now. Teams need to realize the shootout is there, and be ready for it.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 04:47 PM
SML

I guess I was wondering if there would be enough outcry from two Major Canadian teams, both of whom have enormous fan bases, to get the league to change it's stance on the issue.

Old
03-28-2007, 04:48 PM
broadwayblue

Kind of a silly question in my opinion. Why is a shootout on the last day of the season any more or less important than one that took place on opening night? This is the system they have in place that's how it works. If anything the two teams should be happy if they get a chance to advance due to a shoot win...if it was decided the same way as in previous years the game would end in a tie, and the advancing team would be determined by the tie-breakers (Wins, Head to head, coin toss, or whatever.) So in answer to your question, I think that would be the most fair way to decide it and the teams would probably be happy about it knowing they controlled their own destiny down to the very end.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 05:08 PM
RangersAM99

I think that if a team really wanted to make the playoffs they would win in regulation or overtime. Not in a shootout.

RangersAM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 05:10 PM
Fletch

Aren't shootouts...

a losses in overtime already deciding who's in the playoffs?

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 08:49 PM
cringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Why is a shootout on the last day of the season any more or less important than one that took place on opening night?
Bingo!

Shootouts have been effecting playoff races all along.

cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 08:55 PM
bogans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
a losses in overtime already deciding who's in the playoffs?
agreed, without the shootout the playoff picture would probably look much different right now. And, I hate to say it, but most of us would probably not like that picture, considering how bad we have been in 4-4 overtimes, but how good we have been in the shootouts.

bogans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 09:06 PM
Nich

what if the shoot out decides who has home ice advantage!!! oh wait, they already do.

non topic!!! get over it

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 10:16 PM
SML

Alright, you can call it a non topic all you want... but does anyone care to give an Over/Under post count for the thread about it if it happens????

Old
03-28-2007, 10:51 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
Alright, you can call it a non topic all you want... but does anyone care to give an Over/Under post count for the thread about it if it happens????
It will be a non-issue if it happens. Tie games are broken by shootouts. If the final playoff spot is to be determined on the final day of the season from the outcome of the Montreal vs. Toronto game, everyone should actually be happy that the current system is in place. In this hypothetical situation the right team will advance. It's not like the league would have otherwise stepped in and said "hey guys, the winner of this game is going to the playoffs so let's just play as many OT periods as necessary to decide this one." So all things considered, the current system will actually provide for the most fair outcome. No winner in regulation or OT...shootout winner takes all. Sounds a lot better than just ending the game as a tie and handing Montreal the playoff spot because they had two more wins on the season, doesn't it?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 07:51 AM
Kluivert4Ever

Ask Pavel Bure if a penalty shot is just a "skill competition" when it in fact is a great meaningfull skill that could turn around a whole series.

Kluivert4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 08:08 AM
nyscene

As everyone has already said, Its already affected standings.

What I'm waiting for is for a team in their last game or so, possibly in the Habs-Leafs game, to pull their goalie in a tie game so the other team doesnt' get a point. Its been my hope for a while now to see that.

nyscene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 08:20 AM
towely

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyscene View Post
As everyone has already said, Its already affected standings.

What I'm waiting for is for a team in their last game or so, possibly in the Habs-Leafs game, to pull their goalie in a tie game so the other team doesnt' get a point. Its been my hope for a while now to see that.
........what?... how would pulling your goalie keep the other team from getting a point?

towely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 08:24 AM
nyscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by towely View Post
........what?... how would pulling your goalie keep the other team from getting a point?
Say Montreal holds the eight spot (93 pts) and the tiebreaker over everyone. Toronto has 92 points, and therefore have to jump over Montreal to get to the playoffs. In a tied game, they could pull their goalie in regulation time to try to get the goal so the Habs dont' get the OT point.

Sorry for not being clear before.

nyscene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 08:34 AM
ogie

You know it is interesting. Back in December i was watching the Rangers play Buffalo with my brother. It was a great game that eventually went to the shootout. In which the Rangers lost. At the end of the game my brother said "oh well at least we got a point, there is still alot of games left to play". Now four months later that 1 point we could have gained if we had won the shootout would mean the world. Back in December it was inconsequential but coming down to the wire even one point could make or break our season.

What i find even more interesting is that as important as the shootout is most teams do not practice for them. The only thing the Rangers do to prepare for shootouts is ...well nothing. The King challenges other players at the end of practice to sharpen his skill in the SO. And that is all.

You would think with the importance of the SO that teams would take a little more time to work on it. Not saying that they should devote as much time to it as they PK and PP, but at least something is better than nothing. It could be that if they worked on it they might find someone other than their top guys that is really good at shootouts(like Malik's little through the legs shot vs Kolzig). Also they should definitely work on strategy, keeping an eye on the other goalies and players in the league. So that when there is a SO, they can say "this goalie has a week glove hand so go to his glove side" or "this guy likes to shoot to the stick side" etc.

Points are so important now-a-days that to give one up simply because or poor planning is unacceptable.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 04:58 PM
rickyrod

That's how it goes, if it happens. As long as it isn't deciding a Stanley Cup final, I don't mind. It really bothers me in soccer that penalty shootouts decide who wins the Champions League and World Cup.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 03:01 AM
pavvento

I also have to think as far as highlight shows go, how great that would be for hockey. We all know hockey doesn't get the exposure it deserves, but I'd think that something like that would.

pavvento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 03:11 AM
Ola

All I know is that if I am watching, and its our PO's that are on the line, I would be damn nervous.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 03:54 AM
boredmale

Shootouts might affect the playoff standings. Tampa i believe has 10 shootout wins and Carolina has 0, that's 10 extra points Tampa has on Carolina due to a skills competition.

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 10:33 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
I was talking the other day about how this eastern race is tighter than any I have ever seen. It came up, what the heck would happen if it came down to the last day of the season and a shootout determines who gets in and who doesn't ? The last day of the season has Montreal vs. Toronto, two teams that could very well come down to the final day. How would the league react? How would fans feel? I can't imagine the outrage if either one of these teams were to be eliminated from the playoffs under these circumstances. Would it change your opinion about using the shootout to determine something that important, basically a one game playoff series? I don't know how i would feel if the Rangers got knocked out because they got beat at the "skills competition" but I hope I don't find out...

Of course there is already a split on those for or aginst the SO in general.

If this scenario did arise it would just highlight all thats good and bad about the SO.

It would be VERY DRAMATIC SUPER HIGH ENERGY MOMENT = GOOD

Skills competion ends your season = Not so good

Being a Ranger fan I rather like the SO, so.....well ther ya have it

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 10:51 AM
FmmF3*

What if a tie decided who's in the POs? Even more anticlimactic. Non-issue.

FmmF3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 10:56 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
All I know is that if I am watching, and its our PO's that are on the line, I would be damn nervous.
hahah oh my goodness. I've been going crazy the past few weeks I've been so nervous with each game. If our playoff hopes came down to a shootout on the last game of the year I think I would have a heart attack. If they lost no one would be able to talk to me for atleast two weeks....

hmmmmmmmmmm.....kind of like how I felt watching Mets/Cardinals Game 7 I guess....the emotional roller coaster of that game was unbelieveable. Yadier Molina...that fat, stupid little...ahhhhh....I'm over it though, really.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote