HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

GDT • New York Rangers @ Montreal Canadiens • 3/27 • 7:30PM • MSG

Old
03-28-2007, 08:25 PM
FLYLine24*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Girardi -2
Strudwick -1
Malik E

No Girardi bashing?
Why? He's a rookie and he is going to make mistakes and that is expected. Plus how solid he has been he gets some leeway when he has a rare bad game.

On the other hand when you have a vet like Malik playing like garbage every other game people start to get fed up with him.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 07:43 AM
Kluivert4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Why? He's a rookie and he is going to make mistakes and that is expected. Plus how solid he has been he gets some leeway when he has a rare bad game.

On the other hand when you have a vet like Malik playing like garbage every other game people start to get fed up with him.

Exactly, rookies are entitled to rookiemistakes, if they wern΄t then we would never have any rookies getting meaningfull playing time (see Muckler John).

Regarding this game, I personally didn΄t believe we would make the playoffs before the game so I of course dont believe so now, but for those who did believe in it before this game should not change their views because the Rangers had won 5 straight, getting points in 6 straight games, losses happen even if it was very bitter that it had to happen against a playoff rival, but hey thats the way it is.

It was only one game (or one bad period to be fair), so if you had faith in the Rangers before this game nothing should have changed, the Rangers have the Flyers next and if they win that everything is back on track before the huge homegame versus the Leafs.

Also if this game were to happen it was better that it happened now with a 3 game lay-off and a very beatable Flyers team next (despite what happened to Carolina).

Kluivert4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 09:54 AM
chosen

Quote:
I was being sarcastic about bashing Girardi because another poster pointed out that Malik was on for 4 goals against. When I checked the stats I found that Malik was Even for the game so singling him out (admittedly the norm here) is silly once again.

Quote:
If your statement was anywhere near accurate he would be a minus player for the year no matter your opinion of +/- stats.

Malik remains the best first pass out of the zone defenseman we have and that is a skill that is incredibly important even if most choose to not see or recognize it.

Yeah, he's slow and doesn't put people through the boards (no other D-man here does that anyway) but despite public perceptions it's usually not his gaffes that lead to goals against.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 10:28 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
I was being sarcastic about bashing Girardi because another poster pointed out that Malik was on for 4 goals against. When I checked the stats I found that Malik was Even for the game so singling him out (admittedly the norm here) is silly once again.

If your statement was anywhere near accurate he would be a minus player for the year no matter your opinion of +/- stats.

Malik remains the best first pass out of the zone defenseman we have and that is a skill that is incredibly important even if most choose to not see or recognize it.

Yeah, he's slow and doesn't put people through the boards (no other D-man here does that anyway) but despite public perceptions it's usually not his gaffes that lead to goals against.
Thank you. I'm sick and tired of D-men bashing... Hockey is the game, it has to do with luck as much as with effort. Otherwise better skilled would always take over as soon as they try hard. MTL had couple lucky bounces plus they were better focused that allowed them to beat our goalie who took a game off. That's it. Turnovers in neutral zone have been, are and will be the part of the game. There is no sense to put a blame on that for last loss. Habs should be given a credit for a win.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 01:49 PM
polako

In agreement with Chosen and 94now

Defensemen are the NHL's corrollary to NFL cornerbacks...always getting noticed for what they fail to do, rather than what they contribute.

It's a thankless job, really.

polako is offline   Reply With Quote