HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Today's Post - Brooks about Avery

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-29-2007, 08:55 AM
  #1
Nemchinov13
Registered User
 
Nemchinov13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Gravesend
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,726
vCash: 500
Today's Post - Brooks about Avery

http://www.nypost.com/seven/03292007...rry_brooks.htm
Check it out - is Brooks suggesting to sit Avery for the Flyers game?

Quote:
Avery has played center the past four games, but he'll shift to the wing if Renney decides to move Martin Straka from Michael Nylander's and Jaromir Jagr's left side to center another unit. The coach will do that if he feels Jagr at this point is more effective playing with a big, physical, straight-line winger than with a pair of artists. If that's the call, Brad Isbister will return after sitting the last three games and thus bump a forward.

But who would it be? Not likely Ryan Hollweg against the Flyers. Certainly not Colton Orr. Jed Ortmeyer, who could probably use a breather, is too important killing penalties, isn't he? Petr Prucha is on the first power-play unit. Who? Callahan?

If only Avery weren't so overrated, perhaps the decisions would come easier for Renney.

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 09:01 AM
  #2
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,252
vCash: 500
Brooks is saying...

that if you take Avery off a line, that line gets worse, so where exactly do you put him to make the lines optimal.

I think the overrated comment is in jest as Larry's suggesting the Rangers would not be this far without his play since he became a Ranger.

But it's really tough to read what Larry's getting at. For anybody to sit in favor of Isbister would be a total joke. He has 3 points in 14 games whlie getting 13 minutes of ice time, while playing a lot with the best player in the world. That's a joke.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 09:03 AM
  #3
jerseydevil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,855
vCash: 500
I think it's Brooks jab at the fact that Avery was just voted the most overrated player in the league by his fellow players in the espn polls..

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 09:03 AM
  #4
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,802
vCash: 500
Awards:
The person who should probably sit is Straka. He's not healthy and while he's showing a ton of guts by playing is he really being effective?

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 09:04 AM
  #5
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,802
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil View Post
I think it's Brooks jab at the fact that Avery was just voted the most overrated player in the league by his fellow players in the espn polls..
That's how I read it.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 09:05 AM
  #6
rick1042
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Verdun
Country: Canada
Posts: 266
vCash: 500
As a Habs Fan who just watched Avery play this is my view on the Avery:

Avery is overated if you look at his career in Los Angeles because he is the type of player that needs to be a part of a certan type of team, a team with some good veteran leadership. In Detroit, these veterans kept him under control a little therefore he was not a destructive force. In L.A. he did not get this and started acting like a nuissance which then affected his play. I think that with Shanahan being an important part of the Rangers, he becomes an excellant pick-up for them as he brings them an element of passion and physicality.

I have not had a chance to watch the Rangers play too much this year due to the birth of my daughter but I am curious to know if other Rangers fan agree.

rick1042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 09:17 AM
  #7
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,496
vCash: 500
I think Avery also likes playing in NY more. He's already a fan favorite.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 09:26 AM
  #8
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
For anybody to sit in favor of Isbister would be a total joke. He has 3 points in 14 games whlie getting 13 minutes of ice time, while playing a lot with the best player in the world. That's a joke.
Isbister is underrated, unlike Avery. Him playing with Jagr could be mutually beneficial. You can say the fact that we won all the games Isbo played on first is co-incidence... I wouldn't be so sure.
The fact is that our 1st line consists of cycling masters. You cannot do cycling without 3rd (beside Jagr and Nylander) guy that is strong presence in the corners and able to puckhandle well above average. Avery is much worse than Isbister in that respect, Straka became marginal due to tentative play caused by shoulder pain. Callahan has everything, but needs coaching and time to adjust, something that Straka does not. That is why Renney tried many things after Hossa injury... I agree with Brooks Isbo is the best choice now for that job. Prucha should sit since Shanny and Avery will not.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 09:27 AM
  #9
Nich
Registered User
 
Nich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wantagh
Country: Croatia
Posts: 6,895
vCash: 500
straka should sit

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 09:39 AM
  #10
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,252
vCash: 500
SBoB...

would you move Straka into a lesser role (i.e., no PP point and maybe in a role in which he gets less minutes) or would you play Isbister? I actually think that a hurt Straka can be more valuable than a healthy Isbister - anything to not see him on a top line with Jagr.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 09:42 AM
  #11
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,496
vCash: 500
In the 12 games Isbister played (on his 2nd stint) he had 2 points (two assists). One in a loss and the other in the 7-0 game. In that stretch Nylander had 8 points, 3 of which came on the Powerplay. Jagr had 12 points, 5 of which came on the PP. That means that Isbister was out on the ice (could be less, you don't know if someone else was on the ice for that point) for 5 of Nylander's points in that 12 game stretch and 7 of Jagr's. I wouldn't say that he's really been too great of a help on the Scoring line.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 09:43 AM
  #12
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,802
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
would you move Straka into a lesser role (i.e., no PP point and maybe in a role in which he gets less minutes) or would you play Isbister? I actually think that a hurt Straka can be more valuable than a healthy Isbister - anything to not see him on a top line with Jagr.
If Straka can't shoot the puck, I really don't see what role he plays. I'm not a huge Isbister fan but he did play well with Jagr and Nylander. He didn't score but he created chances and was good in the corners.

Maybe they move Straka down to center the second line. I don't love Avery playing center.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 09:46 AM
  #13
Larry Melnyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Gloomsville, USA
Posts: 4,376
vCash: 500
Sitting a hurting Straka would be my first choice (if he is), butthat ain't happening...So, Callahan should sit against the Flyers..Outside of the Bruin game, he really hasn't had much of an impact, especially in tight games..Throw that together with his decreased ice time (right or wrong) and how the team was playing a much more solid, responsible and grinding game (even if Boring) when Isbister was in, I'd dress Isbister over Cally for a game and see what shakes..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 09:46 AM
  #14
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,496
vCash: 500
Here's how I'd do it:
Prucha-Nylander-Jagr
Shanny-Straka/Dubinsky-Callahan
Avery-Cullen-Ortmeyer
Hollweg-Betts-Orr

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 09:48 AM
  #15
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,439
vCash: 500
Personally, I have a little hard time to see that Shanahan couldn't play in Isbisters role on our top line, I mean he is so adjustable, and we are in the middle of a extremely important stretch. The adjustment for Shanny is that he have to play the way Nyls and JJ wants too, unless he got a opertunity to shoot, meaning that at times if he gets the puck he should just hand it over to one of his linemates. Fundamentally they think a bit diffrent.

My instincts tell me that if you got a sniper like Shanahan, who are 38 y/o and just comming back from a injury, you put him in a situation where he is as isolated as possible to do what he does best, and thats shooting the puck, and spending time in the attacking zone.

We can't even come close to providing that enviorment for Shanny, besides next to Nyls and Jagr...

Shanny-Nyls-JJ//Shanny gets a opertunity to concentrate at shooting the puck.
Avery-Cullen-Callahan//Would be a really feisty line, Callahan gets a opertunity on the right side, where he belongs.
Prucha-Straka-Ortmayer//This line is kind of "unproven". But I really like it. Straka would play in a role where he is expected to build up the play, not finnish it.
Holly-Betts-Orr

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 09:51 AM
  #16
cringer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NY, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick767 View Post
As a Habs Fan who just watched Avery play this is my view on the Avery:

Avery is overated if you look at his career in Los Angeles because he is the type of player that needs to be a part of a certan type of team, a team with some good veteran leadership. In Detroit, these veterans kept him under control a little therefore he was not a destructive force. In L.A. he did not get this and started acting like a nuissance which then affected his play. I think that with Shanahan being an important part of the Rangers, he becomes an excellant pick-up for them as he brings them an element of passion and physicality.

I have not had a chance to watch the Rangers play too much this year due to the birth of my daughter but I am curious to know if other Rangers fan agree.
I would agree that Avery became a loose cannon in LA. His remarks about Europeans and French Canadians did not win him any new friends. From what I read, even his own teammates grew tired of the Avery show out west.

In Detroit, he was just breaking into the league and also he had the likes of Shanny, Yzerman, Lidstrom etc. to keep him in check - those are some of the most respected names in the league. So like you said the steady veteran leadership likely acted as a buffer between Avery and the world at large.

When I first heard he was joining the Rangers I'll admit I was not a happy camper... I just thought the guy was a complete and total a**, end of story. There were also some concerns with the trade... like the shield-wearing Europeans on the Rangers might not welcome Sean with open arms... or his assenine comments during the lockout might have angered Shanahan, who was busy trying to mediate and save the game.... Maybe some friction there. But success has a way of making that stuff melt away, and for the most part it looks like Avery has fit right in - even getting on Jagr's good side - something not to be underestimated in Rangerland.

Like all Ranger fans I have been thrilled with what he has brought to this team. I can't remember a trade deadline acquisition in recent memory that has had this much impact - They really look like a different bunch when Avery's doing his thing. It's not something you can really pinpoint in the stats, it's just something you can feel when you watch games.

So yes - an excellent pickup when all is said and done

cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 09:52 AM
  #17
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,802
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Shanny-Nyls-JJ//Shanny gets a opertunity to concentrate at shooting the puck.
Avery-Cullen-Callahan//Would be a really feisty line, Callahan gets a opertunity on the right side, where he belongs.
Prucha-Straka-Ortmayer//This line is kind of "unproven". But I really like it. Straka would play in a role where he is expected to build up the play, not finnish it.
Holly-Betts-Orr
I actually don't mind these lines at all.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 09:59 AM
  #18
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26
 
Lion Hound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,701
vCash: 500
Avery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick767 View Post
As a Habs Fan who just watched Avery play this is my view on the Avery:

Avery is overated if you look at his career in Los Angeles because he is the type of player that needs to be a part of a certan type of team, a team with some good veteran leadership. In Detroit, these veterans kept him under control a little therefore he was not a destructive force. In L.A. he did not get this and started acting like a nuissance which then affected his play. I think that with Shanahan being an important part of the Rangers, he becomes an excellant pick-up for them as he brings them an element of passion and physicality.

I have not had a chance to watch the Rangers play too much this year due to the birth of my daughter but I am curious to know if other Rangers fan agree.
I guess the leadership could have something to do with it. Maybe in the grand scheme of things in NY he is just a better fit than in LA. I really don't think he is overrated at all though. If anything after seeing Avery play on a regular basis I would say the exact opposite. "Where was this guy all along?" is more like it. I always knew he was a pest, and also knew that he dropped the mitts from time to time against mid level fighters. What I didn't know is that the guy sees the ice very well, and definately has above average hockey istincts. He is a very crisp passer, and he loves the high traffic areas. Something that was sorely missed on this Ranger club for quite sometime. The guy is a breath of fresh air, on a team that sorely needed it.

The only thing personally I could do with out is the running of opposing goaltenders. Avery does it often, and IMO there is no place for that.


Still trying to decipher Brooks message though. Not sure if he is taking a jab at the players poll, or at Avery, or Renney.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 10:13 AM
  #19
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post

Shanny-Nyls-JJ//Shanny gets a opertunity to concentrate at shooting the puck.
[
At this point in time that is a good idea. Shanny may not like it, though, and, also, if it doesn't work, it would be hard to fix on the fly... I still think that Isbister gives Renney better options.
Isbo-Nyls-JJ
Shanny - Avery- Callahan
Straka -Cullen-Orts
Holly-Bettsy-Orr

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 10:18 AM
  #20
cringer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NY, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
What I didn't know is that the guy sees the ice very well, and definately has above average hockey istincts. He is a very crisp passer, and he loves the high traffic areas. Something that was sorely missed on this Ranger club for quite sometime. The guy is a breath of fresh air, on a team that sorely needed it.
Very Very well put. That's more or less what I wanted to say. The guy can flat out play - which came as somewhat of a surprise to me. Although a pleasant one.

The Rangers needed exactly the type of catylst that is Avery. He makes things happen. It seems like the team has momentum for a much bigger parts of games overall since his arrival.

cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 10:29 AM
  #21
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Tromelin
Posts: 9,481
vCash: 500
Straka should sit....or dare i say our 38 year old paper captain Shanny...

Neither one is producing....

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 10:32 AM
  #22
ThirdEye
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 11,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Straka should sit....or dare i say our 38 year old paper captain Shanny...

Neither one is producing....
Shanny has 5 points in the last 4 games. Coincidence or not I think he should be out there.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 10:38 AM
  #23
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Shanny has 5 points in the last 4 games. Coincidence or not I think he should be out there.
Shanny looks quite fragile to me. He does not shoot hard. Hard slapper could cause a headache. The most important thing for him now should be to stay healthy through summer. Rangers priorities are not the same...

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 10:41 AM
  #24
NYROrtsFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,931
vCash: 500
I think Avery's already shown that he doesn't quite fit with jagr. Occasionally yes, but over a full game no.

I'd go:

Callahan Straka Jagr
Avery Nylander Shanahan
Prucha Cullen Ortmeyer
Hollywood Betts Orr


Keeps Avery and Shanahan together which i think is good. Puts a very creative guy like Nylander in between two guys who like to shoot first, rather than pass first.

With Jagr, it gives him one of his guys in Straka and it also gives Callahan who is responsible and has a shooting type of attitude which would work well with Jagr and Straka who are very good passers. Also think Callahan would really fit up top there with Jagr. He has enough offensive awareness to pull it off.



And regardless of numbers, Shanahan looks bad out there... He's doing very little. There is no physicality there and he's not quite making the amazing plays with his hands that make up for the other areas he isnt good at now. Not popular becuase Shanahan seems to have that "can do no wrong" thing with Rangers fans right now but the bottom line is he's not helping the team much at all. All the guys in there now are better than Isbister though so they should all stay. Straka included.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 10:49 AM
  #25
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Tromelin
Posts: 9,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
I think Avery's already shown that he doesn't quite fit with jagr. Occasionally yes, but over a full game no.

I'd go:

Callahan Straka Jagr
Avery Nylander Shanahan
Prucha Cullen Ortmeyer
Hollywood Betts Orr


Keeps Avery and Shanahan together which i think is good. Puts a very creative guy like Nylander in between two guys who like to shoot first, rather than pass first.

With Jagr, it gives him one of his guys in Straka and it also gives Callahan who is responsible and has a shooting type of attitude which would work well with Jagr and Straka who are very good passers. Also think Callahan would really fit up top there with Jagr. He has enough offensive awareness to pull it off.



And regardless of numbers, Shanahan looks bad out there... He's doing very little. There is no physicality there and he's not quite making the amazing plays with his hands that make up for the other areas he isnt good at now. Not popular becuase Shanahan seems to have that "can do no wrong" thing with Rangers fans right now but the bottom line is he's not helping the team much at all. All the guys in there now are better than Isbister though so they should all stay. Straka included.
It's a joke...it's like he's played here for 10 years when he's been here for 6 months...

The guy looks washed up..he looked it before his injury....

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.