HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Today's Post - Brooks about Avery

Old
03-29-2007, 11:58 AM
JayMan82

vCash: 500
I wish I can be washed up and average around a point per game when I'm 38....

JayMan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 12:10 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan82 View Post
I wish I can be washed up and average around a point per game when I'm 38....
how has he done since idk...lets pick a date here...oh..i don't know how bout..December 3rd..37 games ago for our Shanny..Our REAL CAPTAIN..

37 games...11 goals...

2 even strength goals...

9 special teams goals..

WOW that's amazing...38 years old....should not be resigned...

Hey what player was out of the lineup and dressing room when the rangers were playing there best hockey of the season...oh yeah...broadway brendan...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 12:12 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick767 View Post
As a Habs Fan who just watched Avery play this is my view on the Avery:

Avery is overated if you look at his career in Los Angeles because he is the type of player that needs to be a part of a certan type of team, a team with some good veteran leadership. In Detroit, these veterans kept him under control a little therefore he was not a destructive force. In L.A. he did not get this and started acting like a nuissance which then affected his play. I think that with Shanahan being an important part of the Rangers, he becomes an excellant pick-up for them as he brings them an element of passion and physicality.

I have not had a chance to watch the Rangers play too much this year due to the birth of my daughter but I am curious to know if other Rangers fan agree.
Yes Sean has raised his leval of play....Likely just because he's on a good team that actually has a shot to do some damage in the playoffs. And thats ok. Motivates many players. Playing in LA was likely boring a lot of the time....

03-29-2007, 12:18 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
It's a joke...it's like he's played here for 10 years when he's been here for 6 months...

The guy looks washed up..he looked it before his injury....
I agree. Renney wont sit Shanny, though. Nor would he sit Avery. We short on C, so Straka is in. Orr could a good choice after his dismal play at Habs. I'd go with Prucha out.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 12:29 PM
McRanger

Shanny does look bad out there, but i think its due to his timing being off from so much inactivity.

11 goals in 37 games still puts him on pace for 25 goals, a "low" amount that would almost definitely increase with less icetimes so early in the season.

I still think Shanny is good for 30+ goals as a 2nd liner, and is the kind of vet I want with this influx of young players. Is he going to be a liability NOW till he gets back on his game? Maybe, but if gets back into form he will be a huge asset, especially since he should be fresh.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 01:02 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemchinov13 View Post
http://www.nypost.com/seven/03292007...rry_brooks.htm
Check it out - is Brooks suggesting to sit Avery for the Flyers game?

It would be nice if Larry could surprise me....just once.

What a bore. Moving on.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 01:10 PM
blue2noise

As much as i got on renney for mixing up the lines too much, it is hard to argue that lately when he does it he has been successful. I'm gonna trust he knows what he is doing for the best chance to win.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 01:10 PM
Pruch025

Avery should NOT sit. His energy is a lot of the reason they started winning.

if the need a big guy on the 1st line until Hossa comes back, use Orr. I'm sure the Flyers will run Jagr so he needs the protection anyway.

Pruch025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 01:11 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I agree. Renney wont sit Shanny, though. Nor would he sit Avery. We short on C, so Straka is in. Orr could a good choice after his dismal play at Habs. I'd go with Prucha out.

No way you sit orr in Philly or Toronto.

Enter Sandman!

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 01:15 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruch025 View Post
Avery should NOT sit. His energy is a lot of the reason they started winning.

if the need a big guy on the 1st line until Hossa comes back, use Orr. I'm sure the Flyers will run Jagr so he needs the protection anyway.
I'm sure that Orr, Hollweg, Avery, and whoever else will run the Flyers too..Jagr would be a target no matter who he plays with...

If it were me I'd scratch Straka and throw Shanny on Jagrs line...Maybe Shanny gets lucky and scores a couple being fed the puck by Jagr and Nylander...

Old
03-29-2007, 01:32 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Whatever happens, they need to skate together in practice tomorrow, so it's not a complete surprise on Saturday. It'll be interesting to read Sam's practice report to see if there were any line shifts.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 01:49 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Today's practice lines:

Isbister-Nylander-Jagr
Avery-Straka-Shanaha
Prucha-Cullen-Callahan
Hollweg-Betts-Orr

Ortmeyer sat out to rest a banged up knee.

http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 01:51 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
It's a joke...it's like he's played here for 10 years when he's been here for 6 months...

The guy looks washed up..he looked it before his injury....
No, what you just said is a joke.

8 points in the 8 games leading up to the Philly game.

5 in the 4 games since his return.

I agree that he hasn't looked like the old Shanny, but he's 38 years old and missed over a month of action. Expecting him to come back and immediately begin tearing it up again is absurd. As Brooks wrote, he's essentially in his second week of training camp again. And he's not going to be able to work his way back into shape for the playoffs if he doesn't play in the games. It's a tough situation I admit, but I'll take Shanny at 75% during the final push over a healthy Dubinsky or Isbister if it means that he'll be back in top form for the postseason.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 02:10 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post

I agree that he hasn't looked like the old Shanny, but he's 38 years old and missed over a month of action. Expecting him to come back and immediately begin tearing it up again is absurd. As Brooks wrote, he's essentially in his second week of training camp again. And he's not going to be able to work his way back into shape for the playoffs if he doesn't play in the games. It's a tough situation I admit, but I'll take Shanny at 75% during the final push over a healthy Dubinsky or Isbister if it means that he'll be back in top form for the postseason.
I agree. This team doesn't have an abundance of guys who put the puck on the net...but Shanny is one of those guys. By his own admission his timing is still off a bit, so I think he'll come around soon.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 02:17 PM
Pruch025

Quote:
I'm sure that Orr, Hollweg, Avery, and whoever else will run the Flyers too..Jagr would be a target no matter who he plays with...

If it were me I'd scratch Straka and throw Shanny on Jagrs line...Maybe Shanny gets lucky and scores a couple being fed the puck by Jagr and Nylander...
Shanny is not at that level yet. I can see he is still scared of being hit. Having a concussion once before, I know that feeling personally.

If it's me, I put Orr or Hollweg on the first line as they play big. More Ortmeyer down to the 4th line with Orr and Betts.

Let Shanny play with Callahan and Straka and move Avery to the line with Cullen and Prucha for the speed line.

But I trust whatever Renney does will be what is best for the team. He is the coach.

Old
03-29-2007, 02:20 PM
Fotiu22

Send a message via AIM to Fotiu22
Quote:

Fotiu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 02:35 PM
coolbean04

Yea that's a smart idea. Let's sit our best player (behind Lundqvist) since the acquisition. We were DEAD until he came and with his intensity and hard work, he woke this team up. We would NOT make the playoffs if it wasn't for that trade. We'd probably be in 10th place right now.

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 02:44 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:

You agree he hasn't looked like the Shanny of old...i don't care he missed a month of action he wasn't scoring before he was hurt..wow 8 points in 8 games..no way how many were power play points? how many were goals?

How many wins did the Rangers have in those games? Did the Rangers come together as a team when Shanny was out of the dressing room and off the ice?

certain Rangers fans with short memories are going to be crying about a 39 year old shanny next season...

Old
03-29-2007, 03:19 PM
94now

Quote:

How many wins did the Rangers have in those games? Did the Rangers come together as a team when Shanny was out of the dressing room and off the ice?

certain Rangers fans with short memories are going to be crying about a 39 year old shanny next season...
He-he... Most Rangers fans have short memories. Dolan knows that. The reason I come here is to read someone like SOS. Courageous post.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 04:12 PM
John Torturella

It has been said on Sams blog, Avery having defensive responsibility could be hurt his game

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 04:13 PM
NYROrtsFan

Those practice lines indicate that they are poised to sit Callahan imo... Either him or Ortmeyer anyway.

They wouldnt go with those lines in practice unless they intend on keeping the three of them together. Ortmeyer typically plays on that 3rd line RW and Callahan was moved there...

Dont think it is the right move obviously.

I think Callahan brings more to the table than Isbister and Callahan should play there on the Jagr line.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 05:10 PM
storm fan

Does this mean that Callahan is headed back to Hartford?

storm fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 05:21 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm fan View Post
Does this mean that Callahan is headed back to Hartford?
I think it depends what the plan for Orr is.

There is seldom any use for a enforcer in the PO's, something we have right now.

I personally would like to see Orr taken out of the equation come the playoffs, though I don't mind him now.

If thats Renney's plan I guess Harry will be up for a while longer, and maybe rotate in and out the rest of the season.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 05:29 PM
Pruch025

Callahan will be and should be headed by to Hartford when Hossa returns, if they make the playoffs. This is Callahan's first year as a pro. Throwing him in the stanley cup playoffs isn't smart. Hossa has earned his spot and he will go on the top line with Jagr again, which is good.

Old
03-29-2007, 05:32 PM
Pruch025

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post

If thats Renney's plan I guess Harry will be up for a while longer, and maybe rotate in and out the rest of the season.
Are you calling him Harry Callahan?