HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cam Talbot - Starting NHL Goalie?

Old
06-22-2014, 02:01 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Similar numbers in roughly the same amount of games.

Yeah it was two 2nd's, thought it was a first since they had two firsts at the '12 draft where they chose Vasilevski.

Again, I wouldn't trade him either, but he may ask for a trade if he thinks he has a shot as a starter.
Yeah, I suppose it was similar in that it was way to small an NHL sample to be given a starting job.

Looking back, it was two 2nds and a 3rd. So a pretty huge package anyways.

If he asks for a trade because he thinks he should be a starter, I would ask him to take a drug test.

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 06:12 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

vCash: 500
Talbot is living his dream, why would he ask for a trade? And 31 is right about what the Rangers should do, if he does.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 08:57 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Well, obviously the thing to do is to give talbot the toughest 20 games next season, so his stats suck and noone wants him.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 12:34 PM
Crease

Talbot likely will not ask for a trade. If he puts up similar numbers next year, however, it is a good bet he will walk. Kids don't grow up dreaming of being career backups. He'll sign with a team that has an open-ended goalie situation. Even if he starts for one season then fizzles out, it'll be worth it.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 02:50 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Talbot likely will not ask for a trade. If he puts up similar numbers next year, however, it is a good bet he will walk. Kids don't grow up dreaming of being career backups. He'll sign with a team that has an open-ended goalie situation. Even if he starts for one season then fizzles out, it'll be worth it.
Yeah, I think the most he can expect realistically after this season is a 1B situation.

Old
06-25-2014, 11:24 AM
chosen

If any team wants Cam and offers something good, Rangers will jump on it. Hope it happens, but doubt it will.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 11:26 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Talbot is living his dream, why would he ask for a trade? And 31 is right about what the Rangers should do, if he does.
No one dreams of being a backup.

Old
06-25-2014, 11:54 AM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Dream is a good word for him potentially getting a starters job next season, I think.

Old
06-25-2014, 01:15 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Dream is a good word for him potentially getting a starters job next season, I think.
Ya never know what will happen with which goaltenders will end up as starters. Every season brings surprises.

Old
06-25-2014, 02:58 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianNYR View Post
We saw some really good play out of Cam Talbot this year. I for one was very impressed on how this guy can keep his cool when the ice gets tilted towards him. For a backup he had amazing stats this year. 12-6-1 with 1.64 GAA and .941 SV%.

So here's the question: Do you think this guy has what it takes to take a starting job for another NHL team, or is he a career backup? Obviously the GAA and SV% are unrealistic numbers to keep over the course of a full season, but I for one think this guy could put up some good numbers if given the reins somewhere.

If he did go somewhere else, I'd miss his mask big time though. I think that's one of the best paint jobs in the league.

Thoughts?
He might be. It only takes one team to feel that way...but goaltender jobs are filling up fast. If there's any market at all, I expect he will be traded.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 03:00 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

Quote:
Ya never know what will happen with which goaltenders will end up as starters. Every season brings surprises.
Yeah, but I would rate Talbot in the long tail of unlikelies, instead of those knocking on the door of a starting job.

Old
06-25-2014, 03:36 PM
Thesensation19

It will be very interesting to see the path that Cam Talbot takes. I think that he can easily have a much larger role elsewhere in the NHL and has a bright future. It only sucks that he is fighting for a spot that is already won right now. And is years away from a second though of it. Talbot is a future NHL starter... just I dont see how it can be for the Rangers.

No reason for him not to be patient and stay one more year as a back up under Henrik. Prove his worth this year as a strong back up.

Depending how he does, he either leaves or resigns for back up but I assume one team will snatch him when in need.

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 07:59 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
For another year, as a stepping stone towards free agency? You realize I was responding to someone who suggested Talbot should ask the Rangers to trade him this season?

Very few goalies jump into the league and make 60 starts. Especially when that goalie was never drafted and spent his college career at the University of Alabama-Huntsville.

Talbot has come a long way--probably farther than anyone thought. And even being a backup in the NHL is not exactly chopped liver either.

Last edited by Brooklyn Ranger: 06-25-2014 at 08:04 PM.
Old
06-25-2014, 08:02 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

It's pretty much a guarantee talbot leaves if he posts another good year next season. He's going to want to sign to a team who'll give him a chance to start, or at the minimum, where he can earn the starter's role.

That simply isn't possible here. He's a young player. It's not like he's an older player who's at the end of his career and is content sitting on the bench for the 3/4ths of the season. He's going to want a shot at more then that.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 10:37 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
For another year, as a stepping stone towards free agency? You realize I was responding to someone who suggested Talbot should ask the Rangers to trade him this season?

Very few goalies jump into the league and make 60 starts. Especially when that goalie was never drafted and spent his college career at the University of Alabama-Huntsville.

Talbot has come a long way--probably farther than anyone thought. And even being a backup in the NHL is not exactly chopped liver either.
Sammy's had the best chopped liver.

Old
06-26-2014, 10:43 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Believe it or not, they're still there and not too bad

I'm more of a pastrami reuben from carnegie deli guy, chopped liver is my backup. Very much like Cam Talbot !

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 04:10 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Sammy's still has the best schtick in town. The chopped liver used to be good at the 2nd Ave Deli, but I haven't been there since they moved.