Notices

If We Make It............

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2004, 05:28 PM
FLAMESFAN

vCash: 50
If We Make It............

Who would you guys rather see the Flames play?

I think the top 4 will be Col, Det, SJ, Van.

In 4 games against Colorado we have yet to win, and Forsberg always seems to kill us, so that's a definite no.
In the past we've had success agianst Detroit, only played them once so far this year, losing 3-0. Still 3 more coming up, so the jury is still out here, but still they are pretty scary.
San Jose you just know Sutter would love to play, upsetting his old team and showing who's the better coach. In 3 games we've beat them twice, each time the home team wins. This would be a good series I think, and we could make up for that crazy upset sometime around 96 (I think?).
Vancouver I would love to see them play. In 5 games (3 in VC) we're .500. The Flames always seem to get reved up for the Canucks. It would be a very entertaining series, and we could rub it in to all the 'Nuck fans

So, I'm hoping for a 5th place finish - who knows, maybe we could even pass the Nucks and get home ice

Old
02-15-2004, 05:41 PM
Badger Bob

vCash: 500
One thing is for sure every year. It is guaranteed that there will be upsets of solid contenders in the first round. Without Scotty Bowman's guidance, getting over more of Dominik Hasek's shenanigens, an aging cast and the overrated Cujo's inconsitency, the Red Wings are ripe. Slapping them down would provide a major boast in confidence, much like the Ducks received last year. If they encounter another hot goalie (in this case, Kiprusoff) they can be given another lesson in humility. Save the showdown with Vancouver for later.

Old
02-15-2004, 05:47 PM
FLAMESFAN

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob
One thing is for sure every year. It is guaranteed that there will be upsets of solid contenders in the first round. Without Scotty Bowman's guidance, getting over more of Dominik Hasek's shenanigens, an aging cast and the overrated Cujo's inconsitency, the Red Wings are ripe. Slapping them down would provide a major boast in confidence, much like the Ducks received last year. If they encounter another hot goalie (in this case, Kiprusoff) they can be given another lesson in humility. Save the showdown with Vancouver for later.
Yeah, I'm kinda waiting to see the results of their last 3 games before I judge this series though. But could you imagine the panic in HockeyTown if we won the first game?

Old
02-15-2004, 08:20 PM
Stifler

San Jose!

It would be nice to see both Darryl Sutter and Miikka Kiprusoff stick it to thier former team.

Old
02-15-2004, 08:50 PM
Edler Von Gud

Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN

So, I'm hoping for a 5th place finish - who knows, maybe we could even pass the Nucks and get home ice
You sure you want it? We suck against the Flames at home, but always seem to do well in Calgary. I think it's more like Road ice advantage. The Canucks have also been better on the road the last few years, and they do better as the underdog than the favorite, so I think the Flames would rather finish 5th.

Old
02-15-2004, 11:12 PM
Snakeeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koltsov
You sure you want it? We suck against the Flames at home, but always seem to do well in Calgary. I think it's more like Road ice advantage. The Canucks have also been better on the road the last few years, and they do better as the underdog than the favorite, so I think the Flames would rather finish 5th.
The problem with facing the Canucks is that this city is full of people who have been "lifelong Canuck fans" since three years ago. There would be too many Canuck bandwagoners in the dome. I'd rather our first playoff series in a decade was vs a team where the Flaming C would have 100% support.

OTOH, there is something wonderful about the idea of shoving it down the Canucks throat...

Old
02-16-2004, 12:07 AM
OMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeeye
The problem with facing the Canucks is that this city is full of people who have been "lifelong Canuck fans" since three years ago. There would be too many Canuck bandwagoners in the dome. I'd rather our first playoff series in a decade was vs a team where the Flaming C would have 100% support.

OTOH, there is something wonderful about the idea of shoving it down the Canucks throat...
The Canuck bandwagon is extremely full here in Calgary.

Ideally i'd want San Jose. They are a good team, but are the least challenging of the top 4. Sutter's knowledge of that club, coupled with the fact that Calgary would be 110% behind the Flames would make for a great matchup for us.

Detroit is another team that would matchup with Calgary relatively well. Our size and speed could make for an interesting series.

I don't like a matchup vs. Colorado or Vancouver. Colorado owns us, and Vancouver worries me (even though we have beaten them).

But in all honesty, i really don't care who we face. I just want a playoff berth!

Old
02-16-2004, 02:49 AM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
I'm hoping we can finish in 6th and face the Sharks. I think we'd have the best chance to upset them against any of the top teams in the West. Also Sutter would have an easy time getting the team ready for the series.

Old
02-16-2004, 03:37 AM
calgarylen13

I'm just hoping we make the playoffs, period! I don't care who we play against, because no matter who it is, when you get there its a whole new game, and nothing in the regular season means anything.

Ideally though,

Calgary v San Jose would be good to see, but not straight away...i'm liking this:
7Calgary v Detroit2 Calgary wins
7Calgary v San Jose3 Calgary wins
7 Calgary v Vancouver4 Calgary wins

then the Stanley Cup final being Calgary v Montreal! 2 reasons:
1. about time the cup came back to Canada
2. I like the idea of beating the Habs!

However, as i said, forget who we play, if we play Colorado I reckon we wouldn't go down with a fight, and you can't throw Dallas out of the picture to come third. Now a Calgary v Dallas series, would love to see that, considering the game i saw when i was in Canada was against Dallas!

Old
02-16-2004, 04:22 AM
ES

If Calgary makes it to the playoffs, I don't matter which team is opponent. Being 7 years out it would be fantastic to be in.

Interesting thing if Calgary is in, the team with longest streak without playoffs could be...Rangers.

Closed Thread