HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

*** 2014 FIFA World Cup ~ Brazil ~ 6/12-7/13 [ESPN] ***

Old
06-26-2014, 02:25 PM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
when is our next game?

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 02:51 PM
GlasgowRanger

Tuesday, 1st July

GlasgowRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 02:51 PM
AHB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
belgium have been less than the sum of their parts so far.
Yea they were a "dark horse" but people are writing them off because of their performance in the group. They haven't looked anything like a top 3 team whatsoever thus far. Their group was a joke.

AHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 03:34 PM
Lundquest

vCash: 266
Survive and advance! USA!

Lundquest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 05:10 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Greece and USA are my teams, and both advanced to the final 16 knock out round!

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 05:21 PM
94wasagoodyear

Not trying to look ahead here but if (big if) USA was somehow able to beat Belgium, imagine the game in the next round? USA - Argentina..USA vs Messi, qtr finals of the World Cup..July 4th weekend. Would destroy soccer ratings in the US.

94wasagoodyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 05:34 PM
jniklast

I really think the US has a chance against Belgium. They have quite a few talented players, but so far they have been underwhelming. I hope you guys get through!

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 06:45 PM
AHB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
I really think the US has a chance against Belgium. They have quite a few talented players, but so far they have been underwhelming. I hope you guys get through!

They certainly have a chance. I just want to see an Argentina-USA matchup. Any US Soccer fan knows that getting out of the group is a successful world cup, anything from here on out is cream.

A win against belgium would be huge.

AHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 07:33 PM
GlasgowRanger

The one thing you guys have in your favour, is low expectations.

As previously pointed out, if we're being brutally honest, these games now are bonus games for USA, Belgium will be expected to run out comfortable winners, a title they haven't worn well in this tournament thus far.

Having lower expectations should mean you can relax a little, without totally switching off, as your boys will have already exceeded all expectations.

GlasgowRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 10:39 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94wasagoodyear View Post
Not trying to look ahead here but if (big if) USA was somehow able to beat Belgium, imagine the game in the next round? USA - Argentina..USA vs Messi, qtr finals of the World Cup..July 4th weekend. Would destroy soccer ratings in the US.
That would be epic!

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 10:54 PM
Dr. Ogrodnick

vCash: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
Look, US has a chance against anybody, in a slightly better than 1980 US olympic hockey kind of way. They are all professionals, at any point Howard could have a statement game, and they are certainly capable of putting away chances, especially if Altidore can make it back.

And Belgium hasn't impressed me. They'll be tough, and it will take a tremendous effort, but its not a once in a lifetime prayer type situation.

Last edited by Dr. Ogrodnick: 06-26-2014 at 11:06 PM.
Dr. Ogrodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 11:08 PM
Machinehead
★★★★

It was a nice run by USA but I will be completely flabbergasted if they beat this Belgium side.

DEUTSCHLANDWELTMEISTER2014
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 11:36 PM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
That would be epic!
Let's just wait and see if they beat Switzerland first

06-27-2014, 01:06 AM
sycamore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
It was a nice run by USA but I will be completely flabbergasted if they beat this Belgium side.
USA pretty much dominated Portugal and went toe to toe with one of the favorites to win it all, Germany. Plus Belgium lost a starter today from a red card. They can take "les Belges".

sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 01:17 AM
Rangerfan4life90

I think USA will win against Belgium. It's the following round that worries me if they end up advancing and playing Argentina.

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 02:41 AM
SwissLeaf

vCash: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Kreiderman View Post
Let's just wait and see if they beat Switzerland first
They won't! We will beat Argentina!

Why? The "Messi of the Alpes" will outplay Messi! Shaq-Attack!

SwissLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 03:41 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Ogrodnick View Post
Look, US has a chance against anybody, in a slightly better than 1980 US olympic hockey kind of way. They are all professionals, at any point Howard could have a statement game, and they are certainly capable of putting away chances, especially if Altidore can make it back.

And Belgium hasn't impressed me. They'll be tough, and it will take a tremendous effort, but its not a once in a lifetime prayer type situation.
Yeah, that's what I meant. Obviously anything can happen (heard that one before ) especially in a one game knockout, but some matchups would be pretty lopsided, while against Belgium I'd probably put the odds at 60:40 or something like that...

Old
06-27-2014, 05:13 AM
Chimp

The World Cup ranking of floppings. Top teams: Brazil, Chile, Honduras, Nigeria and Mexico. No surprises there. The least flopping teams: Bosnia, Netherlands, Portugal, Australia, Ghana(!) and Argentina(!).

Bosnia had two floppings during the entire tournament for a total of 24 seconds, while Honduras players lied in extreme "pain" for almost 8 minutes in round robin at 15 occasions. Brazil had the biggest number of floppings with 17.

Actual playing time: 55,5 minutes. Last WC it was 69,8 min. Almost an entire quarter of playing time was gone. Something has to be done about all the diving and acting. Although some of it was surely tactical to get some water and rest in the extreme heat, many teams were allowed to milk it for infinity when they protected a favoured result. Balls kicked away during free kicks, taking an eternity to make the throw in or freekick... sometimes it was just ridiculous.

Last edited by Chimp: 06-27-2014 at 05:21 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 05:59 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
The World Cup ranking of floppings. Top teams: Brazil, Chile, Honduras, Nigeria and Mexico. No surprises there. The least flopping teams: Bosnia, Netherlands, Portugal, Australia, Ghana(!) and Argentina(!).

Bosnia had two floppings during the entire tournament for a total of 24 seconds, while Honduras players lied in extreme "pain" for almost 8 minutes in round robin at 15 occasions. Brazil had the biggest number of floppings with 17.

Actual playing time: 55,5 minutes. Last WC it was 69,8 min. Almost an entire quarter of playing time was gone. Something has to be done about all the diving and acting. Although some of it was surely tactical to get some water and rest in the extreme heat, many teams were allowed to milk it for infinity when they protected a favoured result. Balls kicked away during free kicks, taking an eternity to make the throw in or freekick... sometimes it was just ridiculous.

It would be interesting to have that list ranked as writhing time per injury...

Also the playing time number is flawed, as the numbers from 2010 obviously include games with extra time during the knockout stages. Actual playing time probably is less this year, but it's not that big.

Old
06-27-2014, 09:51 AM
ecemleafs

does that list include actual injuries like altidore and dempsey? those 2 took a while to get off the pitch because they were actual serious injuries.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 10:21 AM
Rust Heisenberg

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
does that list include actual injuries like altidore and dempsey? those 2 took a while to get off the pitch because they were actual serious injuries.
The US has not been diving. This chart is interesting but in no means an indication of anything more than a few repeat offenders and a few teams that are unlucky.

Haven't seen one US player fake injury yet in this world cup.

There was the time that I thought Dempsey faked being injured when he was trying to ice the ball in the Ghana corner but upon a close up review on TV, you can clearly see a Ghana guy kicking him in the ankle.

Beasler had a pulled hammy that he left the game for, he also had that cramp in menous. The Jones/Bedoya head clash is probably in that accrued time frame.

I hate diving, and i'd be the first to call the US out for it if I thought it was happening, but we're fortunate that we're not watching it happen on a consistent basis, if any basis, at all.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 10:53 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Heisenberg View Post
The US has not been diving. This chart is interesting but in no means an indication of anything more than a few repeat offenders and a few teams that are unlucky.

Haven't seen one US player fake injury yet in this world cup.

There was the time that I thought Dempsey faked being injured when he was trying to ice the ball in the Ghana corner but upon a close up review on TV, you can clearly see a Ghana guy kicking him in the ankle.

Beasler had a pulled hammy that he left the game for, he also had that cramp in menous. The Jones/Bedoya head clash is probably in that accrued time frame.

I hate diving, and i'd be the first to call the US out for it if I thought it was happening, but we're fortunate that we're not watching it happen on a consistent basis, if any basis, at all.
Hardly any of these inuries are true dives, most are embellishment and many simply were real injuries. And the US isn't the worst, but let's not act like they never do it. Beasley for instance had to be carried off the field against Portugal, only to return like 10 seconds later - coincidentally just after the US team scored to make it 2:1...

Last edited by jniklast: 06-27-2014 at 10:58 AM.
Old
06-27-2014, 08:44 PM
Lundquest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I wouldn't be surprised. I'm honestly expecting a win.

Old
06-28-2014, 10:10 AM
Lundquest

Brazil vs. Chile is the first game today, followed by Columbia vs. Uruguay

Old
06-28-2014, 11:41 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Neymar is ****ing ridiculous. Every time he touches the ball he's making something happen.

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote