HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mike Ribeiro Buyout Possible

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2014, 02:58 PM
Trottier
Very Random

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckOutHere View Post
I mean 47 pts in year one of a contract, below his standards, but still productive. I never judge a UFA deal on the first year unless it's a premium player.
I, too, have a hard time believing this rumor, as teams won't typically rush to judgment on a guy in whom they just invested significantly less than 12 months ago. That said, he was a healthy scratch at critical times late last season.

Regardless, the Coyotes (and especially Tippett's) issue with Ribeiro no doubt has little to do with his offensive production. It has everything to do with the 99% of the time he does not possess the puck. As has been the issue throughout his career.

Old
06-27-2014, 03:00 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
I, too, have a hard time believing this rumor
Given it's Dreger reporting it I to have a hard time believing it(I personally believe unless it's contract signings, Dreger has as much credibility as Eklund)

Old
06-27-2014, 03:03 PM
newerabegins

Quote:
Originally Posted by letowskie View Post
If Ribeiro is a bad fit for Tippett; Spezza would be far worse. He actually knew Rib pretty well from their time in Dallas.

Spezza was be chewed up alive and spit out in shreds under Tipp.

Stop making up unsubstantiated garbage, and be a shill for Dreger.
I'll say what I want, and as far as I'm concerned, it's called speculation.

Old
06-27-2014, 03:04 PM
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan

vCash: 297
Where did Dreger "hear" this, hfboards? He's full of ****.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
He wasn't very good, but I don't think he's buyout-after-one-year-of-a-five-year-contract bad.
First, it's a 4 year contract, and second, Ribeiro was good this year. He almost led PHX in points despite spending much of his even-strength time playing with Dave Moss and Rob Klinkhammer. When he was on the ice with good linemates (ie: Shane Doan, Radim Vrbata), he tore it up. On the powerplay, he tore it up. Took some immature penalties at some very inopportune times, but "he wasn't very good" is strong evidence that you didn't actually watch any Coyotes games this year.

Old
06-27-2014, 03:05 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Given it's Dreger reporting it I to have a hard time believing it(I personally believe unless it's contract signings, Dreger has as much credibility as Eklund)
Dreger, a.k.a., "The Coiffed Empty Suit".

Old
06-27-2014, 03:11 PM
ScottyFreakinUpshall

I heard that the end of the year meetings went horribly with Ribeiro. Off-season he doesn't train and didn't want anything to do with training after playing in the league for so long. Maybe it just rubbed phoenix wrong, they don't want to deal with him? Teams are having a hard time spending/caps, is he really worth 6M last 2 years?

Old
06-27-2014, 03:13 PM
letowskie

Quote:
Originally Posted by newerabegins View Post
I'll say what I want, and as far as I'm concerned, it's called speculation.
I wouldn't be surprised that what you said above is just being a paid shill by Dreger to stir up malcontent on this forum. You could very well be one.

As far as I'm concerned, it's called speculation.

Old
06-27-2014, 03:14 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised that what you said above is just being a paid shill by Dreger to stir up malcontent on this forum. You could very well be one.

As far as I'm concerned, it's called speculation.
lolwuttttt

Old
06-27-2014, 03:16 PM
letowskie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
lolwuttttt
LOL; these Sens fans are getting out of control

Dreger making up garbage to increase hit rate on his site.

And then sends some of his flunkies to stir up trouble on forums.

Well, just my speculation.

Old
06-27-2014, 03:20 PM
SR

Quote:
If Ribeiro is a bad fit for Tippett; Spezza would be far worse. He actually knew Rib pretty well from their time in Dallas.

Spezza was be chewed up alive and spit out in shreds under Tipp.

Stop making up unsubstantiated garbage, and be a shill for Dreger.
Whoa, take it easy man. Hes just saying what everyone else is saying. If ribs were bought out it would most certainly be for opening up actual money for someone and Spezza is rumored to be on the move, no need to kill the guy.

As far as I am concerned I dont see Ribs being bought out. Phoenix doesnt have the extra money to have a buy out on their pay roll. They need to save every last cent when it comes to spending. If Spezza were in fact being targeted I think it would be for a trade with salary coming accross to Ottawa.

Now, maybe, just maybe that money is being free'd up for a moulson or to a bigger extent, Vanek type guy.

No one knows, but something was said for this to be a topic.

Old
06-27-2014, 03:23 PM
Predsrule

only reason to buy him out is if he refuses trade.. id take him on the preds better option then we have currently and would cost much/none in terms of assets.

Old
06-27-2014, 03:32 PM
guyzeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsrule View Post
only reason to buy him out is if he refuses trade.. id take him on the preds better option then we have currently and would cost much/none in terms of assets.
They could still trade it to you guys by retaining salary and get something in return as well.

Old
06-27-2014, 03:33 PM
SR

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyzeur View Post
They could still trade it to you guys by retaining salary and get something in return as well.
NTC means Ribiero would have to sign off on it. I dont think Nashville would be on the list.

Old
06-27-2014, 03:34 PM
letowskie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Whoa, take it easy man. Hes just saying what everyone else is saying. If ribs were bought out it would most certainly be for opening up actual money for someone and Spezza is rumored to be on the move, no need to kill the guy.

As far as I am concerned I dont see Ribs being bought out. Phoenix doesnt have the extra money to have a buy out on their pay roll. They need to save every last cent when it comes to spending. If Spezza were in fact being targeted I think it would be for a trade with salary coming accross to Ottawa.

Now, maybe, just maybe that money is being free'd up for a moulson or to a bigger extent, Vanek type guy.

OK, maybe I went a bit over board. These Sens fans on the mainboard have been continuously trashing the likes of Vermette, Rib, Hanzal, etc, over the last few days. Just so that they can say that the Yotes are in desperate need of a center.

Agree with what you said. Spezza does have much lower salary than cap hit. But he will be basically impossible to resign after this year (probably in the 8M range), even if we trade Rib + minor pieces across to him. I can see us getting into some FA sweepstakes, probably by trading relatively high cost, non-essential players like Korpi. There may even be a deal in place for Yandle, if the right offer comes along.

These rumours just make less than zero sense. A budget team that would never come close to the cap buying someone out that has performed at least adequately, and then try to spend more major assets to trade for another player that plays a similar style, that is completely unsuited for the system, and will cost even much more in the long run, is just asinine. It would be comical if they said it with a smiley face or something. It's like the dog of someone living in the garbage dump from Varnier barked something that Dreger picked up, just to make Ott fans excited.

Old
06-27-2014, 03:37 PM
Ricky Bobby

Ribeiro must still be a team cancer if a budget team like the Yotes who're nowhere near the cap are even considering this.

Nobody doubts his skill but he was run out of Montreal, barely brought back a return when traded out of Dallas and Washington didn't seem to try overly hard to retain him.

Old
06-27-2014, 03:38 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post

My thoughts are

Phoenix has asked about Spezza

He's available now

Phoenix probably feels like they really need to get people in the seats and make the playoffs if they want to stay in Arizona (and keep their jobs)

So the team discussed the possibility of buying Mike out to get Jason into the fold

I wouldn't expect them to actually do it but they ought to at least discuss it before making a decision, that's how you run a franchise

Old
06-27-2014, 03:46 PM
SR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do Make Say Think View Post
My thoughts are

He's available now

Phoenix probably feels like they really need to get people in the seats and make the playoffs if they want to stay in Arizona (and keep their jobs)

So the team discussed the possibility of buying Mike out to get Jason into the fold

I wouldn't expect them to actually do it but they ought to at least discuss it before making a decision, that's how you run a franchise
Yeah I am assuming the same. The NTC really puts a wrench into the process too.

The draft is going to be crazy if this is all the moves that have already been done. I see a lot of player movement tonight, along with picks.

Old
06-27-2014, 03:50 PM
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan

Quote:
My thoughts are

He's available now

So PHX is going to give up:

a) 3 years of Ribeiro
b) ~$7m in buyout cash
c) whatever assets OTT actually wants for Spezza

... for one year of Spezza? What if Spezza's first year in AZ underwhelms just like Ribeiro's did?

We didn't have enough offensive support last year to make full use of Ribeiro's talents ... and now we're going to give up even more of that support for some kind of all-in push on Spezza? And THAT'S going to work?

Old
06-27-2014, 03:52 PM
Yog S'loth

Sorry, this doesn't pass the smell test. There is no incentive for the Coyotes to do this. I call BS.

Old
06-27-2014, 03:52 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesa Awesaka View Post
Riberio has a NTC
Then he could be waived

Old
06-27-2014, 03:54 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck26 View Post
So PHX is going to give up:

a) 3 years of Ribeiro
b) ~$7m in buyout cash
c) whatever assets OTT actually wants for Spezza

... for one year of Spezza? What if Spezza's first year in AZ underwhelms just like Ribeiro's did?

We didn't have enough offensive support last year to make full use of Ribeiro's talents ... and now we're going to give up even more of that support for some kind of all-in push on Spezza? And THAT'S going to work?

Did you even bother reading my post?

I said they probably wouldn't go ahead with it

However they most likely at least talked about it

Old
06-27-2014, 03:56 PM
Homesick

vCash: 50
Quote:
What if they buy him out and get Spezza who's light years ahead of Ribeiro
good. They spend cash that they don't have and give up valuable assets for a player that will be gone in a year

Old
06-27-2014, 03:59 PM
YotesFan47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle Ben Kenobi View Post
Then he could be waived
I'd waive him, I've never been real fond of ribs though. Let some team have him for free, then sign Grabovski.

Old
06-27-2014, 04:00 PM
Vesa Awesaka
PuempeltoBorotoAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle Ben Kenobi View Post
Then he could be waived
I believe he wants to live in the southwest

Old
06-27-2014, 04:00 PM
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan

Quote:
Did you even bother reading my post?

I said they probably wouldn't go ahead with it

However they most likely at least talked about it
But since this is a message board, we're allowed to talk about the merits of said discussion. Buying out a guy you just signed to replace him with an expensive clone is horrible business.

Closed Thread