HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Derek Dorsett to Vancouver for ANA 3rd '14

Old
06-27-2014, 10:38 PM
mullichicken25

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjinx94 View Post
This is so wrong I can't even begin to explain why.
I too would love to hear why. Sounded like a spot on description of John Moore to me.

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 10:49 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
I too would love to hear why. Sounded like a spot on description of John Moore to me.
Yeah, generally speaking guys don't suddenly make massive jumps in hockey iq at the NHL level. People see the skating and the big shot and think Moore has greater potential than he actually does.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 10:53 PM
TheDirtyH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Yeah, generally speaking guys don't suddenly make massive jumps in hockey iq at the NHL level. People see the skating and the big shot and think Moore has greater potential than he actually does.
Personally, I was impressed with his decision making as the playoffs progressed especially. By the finals, he would turn the puck over sometimes still, but no more than any of our other defensemen besides maybe Stralman and Klein. I've thought he has steadily improved throughout his time here, and I see no reason to expect that will discontinue.

TheDirtyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 10:54 PM
SML

If we can flip this 3rd rounder to the Kings for Jordan Nolan, I am happy.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 10:54 PM
Hunter Gathers
No one deserves . .

Send a message via AIM to Hunter Gathers
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR2007 View Post
i actually agree with the whole post. i thought Diaz had more to offer then Moore
It was painfully obvious that that is not true in the playoffs.

Hunter Gathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 11:18 PM
Clown Fiesta
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird Law View Post
It was painfully obvious that that is not true in the playoffs.
Diaz had more to offer, in the suck department... ZING! Take that Diaz you sucker.

Clown Fiesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 11:46 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDirtyH View Post
Personally, I was impressed with his decision making as the playoffs progressed especially. By the finals, he would turn the puck over sometimes still, but no more than any of our other defensemen besides maybe Stralman and Klein. I've thought he has steadily improved throughout his time here, and I see no reason to expect that will discontinue.
Moore played the most sheltered minutes of anyone on the team in the playoffs. He faced nothing but the opposition's weakest forwards and started the vast majority of his shifts in the offensive zone. It would've been stunning if he hadn't been solid in the situation Vigneault placed him.

Old
06-28-2014, 12:13 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Moore played the most sheltered minutes of anyone on the team in the playoffs. He faced nothing but the opposition's weakest forwards and started the vast majority of his shifts in the offensive zone. It would've been stunning if he hadn't been solid in the situation Vigneault placed him.
As opposed to Diaz?! Diaz was so sheltered he played almost no minutes in the games he started and was immediately bumped to the pressbox the moment Moore's suspension expired... Those are about the most sheltered minutes you can have.

I'm not saying Moore's a world-beater by any stretch, but he's a respectable 3rd pair guy who has good tools and could still progress.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 12:15 AM
Raspewtin
Xanny family

vCash: 50
Quote:
Agreed.

Moore's hockey IQ is pathetic. I don't see the upside here.

"It's going to be a zoo no matter what, Staalmania, Staals everywhre, omg Staal on Staal action, three brothers hockeying! Staal returning to Carolina omg what news! All the feels he is feel..." - Ail on Eric Staal's return to Carolina.
Raspewtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 12:16 AM
bigdog16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
Think you are selling J Moore a little bit short. He is an above average skater, he's got a physical aspect to him game and throughout the whole playoffs he had a bit of a mean streak. He's not in any way a fighter but when he does he can hold his own (check youtube). He goes into corners and battles unlike Del Zotto did. And although his offensive skills are pretty limited, I do tend to see him join the rush a fair amount of times. Id prefer him over Diaz 7 days of the week. All Diaz would do is shoot the puck when it came on his stick, seemed to be a ticking time bomb. Diaz is pretty unnoticeable to me.

bigdog16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 12:48 AM
TheDirtyH

Hockey IQ is such a subjective quality it seems. I remember Kreider being described the same way Moore is now, but I don't think people doubt his Hockey IQ now. Not saying Moore has that kind of ceiling as an impact player, but seriously, as badly as Moore can **** up in the defensive zone, his offensive reads, when and where to rush, his first pass, and his ability to sustain pressure in the offensive zone all illustrate to me Hockey IQ. He certainly has it.

Though to be clear, I don't see him as more than a solid third-pairing option, with upside to grow.

Last edited by TheDirtyH: 06-28-2014 at 12:57 AM.
TheDirtyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 12:50 AM
TurgePurge*

Trades arent just players in vs players out. Its nyr situation before and nyr situation after. Gaborik was making 7.5 mil and we traded him for three usable pieces that combined for like 6 mil or so. That gives you flexibility for the rest of the roster. Not to mention he was traded for Frattin a 2nd and 3rd a year later. Double not to mention that watching Gaborik play hockey was a horrible experience. Only Drury, Backman, and Mccabe were as painful to watch. That can't be argued btw.

TurgePurge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 12:52 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I guess I'm in the minority. He was part of a great 4th line...great depth...kept other teams honest.

This team has a window they need to capture, and the chemistry was good. Sometimes teams need to lose together to make it to the next level.

The 3rd rounder in this years draft is likely years away from training camp let alone the big team.

Let's eye what they do with the cap space.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 12:55 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurgePurge View Post
Trades arent just players in vs players out. Its nyr situation before and nyr situation after. Gaborik was making 7.5 mil and we traded him for three usable pieces that combined for like 6 mil or so. That gives you flexibility for the rest of the roster. Not to mention he was traded for Frattin a 2nd and 3rd a year later. Double not to mention that watching Gaborik play hockey was a horrible experience. Only Drury, Backman, and Mccabe were as painful to watch. That can't be argued btw.

Yet he looked like an elite player in LA. I think they will come to know the woe of Gabby over the course of that contract, but today LA looks like they have the magic to turn damaged goods into cups.

Old
06-28-2014, 01:00 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

This years UFA list is pretty old and or unimpressive IMO...

Hopefully Sather has one of his infamous trades in the works

Old
06-28-2014, 01:01 AM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
As opposed to Diaz?! Diaz was so sheltered he played almost no minutes in the games he started and was immediately bumped to the pressbox the moment Moore's suspension expired... Those are about the most sheltered minutes you can have.

I'm not saying Moore's a world-beater by any stretch, but he's a respectable 3rd pair guy who has good tools and could still progress.
I'm not pumping Diaz. My post focused on the notion that Moore's somehow going to take a big leap forward to be a top four guy.

Old
06-28-2014, 01:40 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Get your copies of Beginnings: Derek Dorsett on eBay now.
I'm going to wait another month and get the Walmart 'Beginnings' 3 pack: Brian Boyle, Benoit Pouliot, and Derek Dorsett

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 01:55 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjinx94 View Post
This is so wrong I can't even begin to explain why.
I think it's fairly accurate. John Moore is fast. John Moore has an average shot. He is otherwise below average in every other category. I just don't think he has a brain for the game. His hockey IQ is very low which is a problem anywhere on the ice, but especially problematic as a defenseman. Kevin Klein was the single greatest thing that ever happened to him. He's not horrible - he's a competent 3rd pairing guy with the proper partner (Klein), but I really don't see much upside.

He sometimes reminds me of Matt Gilroy in a mans body.

Last edited by Barnaby: 06-28-2014 at 02:02 AM.
Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 02:43 AM
Glen Sathers Cigar
Sather 4 Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
I think it's fairly accurate. John Moore is fast. John Moore has an average shot. He is otherwise below average in every other category. I just don't think he has a brain for the game. His hockey IQ is very low which is a problem anywhere on the ice, but especially problematic as a defenseman. Kevin Klein was the single greatest thing that ever happened to him. He's not horrible - he's a competent 3rd pairing guy with the proper partner (Klein), but I really don't see much upside.

He sometimes reminds me of Matt Gilroy in a mans body.
Very on the nose description of John Moore.

His hockey IQ is so low, it is his worst attribute.

The point about him being Gilrow in a man's body might be the best description of Moore ever. I would even venture to say, Gilroy had a better mind for the game and if he had Moore's body he would be a top-4 D man.

Glen Sathers Cigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 03:44 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Oscar Limburger

In what world was watching Gabby an awful experience? What the ****?

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 04:59 AM
RangerBoy
HOPE & CHANGE

The Rangers couldn't afford Gaborik's $7.5M and their other commitments in a $64.3M cap. They traded him for 3 players to fill out the roster. People on this board constantly have trouble with that topic. Dorsett is entering the last season of his contract. The Rangers got a 3rd for him. They will re-sign Brassard and Moore. 1/2 of the Dorsett money will go towards Carcillo. The Rangers need to replace Dorsett. The Rangers have a net gain of $800K to put towards filling out the roster.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 05:35 AM
Steve Kournianos
@thedraftanalyst

Gaborik was struggling, coming off surgery, and at odds with the coach. He had an expiring contract to boot.

If you think the Rangers lost that trade, how do you think the BJ's feel right about now?

Steve Kournianos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 09:10 AM
tjtom

Get shaun thornton

tjtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 09:25 AM
DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
In what world was watching Gabby an awful experience? What the ****?
Gaborik had been horrific that year. Like.. seriously terrible. I think that's what he was referring to

DelZottoHitTheNetJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 09:30 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjtom View Post
Get shaun thornton
hes tough but slow

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote