HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues Trade Proposals Part XI

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2014, 09:17 AM
Vladys Gumption
Trap City

vCash: 500
The longer we go without seeing a Spezza trade, the more confident i get that we'll end up with Stastny. I have a feeling that if Army didn't think we were legitimately in on landing Stastny, he would have made a huge push for Spezza yesterday.

Old
06-28-2014, 09:26 AM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladys Gumption View Post
The longer we go without seeing a Spezza trade, the more confident i get that we'll end up with Stastny. I have a feeling that if Army didn't think we were legitimately in on landing Stastny, he would have made a huge push for Spezza yesterday.
I very much hope you are right. I have all my fingers and toes crossed.

Old
06-28-2014, 09:30 AM
rrude

I'll probably draw rain but...

Last year's big FA was Vinny Lecavalier. We would have been stoked at the time to get him. Instead he went to Philly, who still had the same basic structure in place that couldn't get the most out of Jeff Carter and Mike Richards, and he had a bad year. Now Philly seems like they'll almost give him away.

Why isn't he a target? He's a guy who was one of the best offensive players in the league for several years, has won a Cup, and may cost us nothing in assets or salary (if Philly pays some of it as rumored).

I get that he is on the decline but he was a much better player to start with than Roy, who someone compared getting him to recently, and his declining years should be better than most.

Not saying this is necessarily what I want but it makes almost too much sense for the Blues (if the rumors about Philly giving him away are true). I could easily see them making this move.

Old
06-28-2014, 09:36 AM
Majorityof1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrude View Post
I'll probably draw rain but...

Last year's big FA was Vinny Lecavalier. We would have been stoked at the time to get him. Instead he went to Philly, who still had the same basic structure in place that couldn't get the most out of Jeff Carter and Mike Richards, and he had a bad year. Now Philly seems like they'll almost give him away.

Why isn't he a target? He's a guy who was one of the best offensive players in the league for several years, has won a Cup, and may cost us nothing in assets or salary (if Philly pays some of it as rumored).

I get that he is on the decline but he was a much better player to start with than Roy, who someone compared getting him to recently, and his declining years should be better than most.

Not saying this is necessarily what I want but it makes almost too much sense for the Blues (if the rumors about Philly giving him away are true). I could easily see them making this move.
It's not a bad point but there are a couple shots against it. 1) What does Philly want? They won't just give him away. Is he better than other centers on the market to justify trade assets? 2) The contract Philly gave him to sign there was pretty bad. That is part of why he is not a Blue. It takes him to 38 at an AAV of $4.5 M. For his production and the eventual decline, that is overpayment. The good thing is that it is front loaded, and we'd split the recapture penalty with Philly. 3) He just wasn't that good last year. A big part of the problem was he either had to play wing, where he struggled, or didn't get many minutes as 3rd/4th line center. He still scored 20 goals, but his assists were way down. While he was better than Roy, it was marginal and he is not what we need to reach the next level.

Old
06-28-2014, 10:05 AM
Alklha

Stastny is a better fit than Lecavalier, so it would make sense that we would focus on him.

However, that is guesswork on our part. Armstrong might want Lecavalier. Philadelphia wants to move him, but he is due a $2m bonus on July 1... there is no way in hell we'd make a move for him until the Flyers have paid that.

Old
06-28-2014, 10:09 AM
Majorityof1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
I've heard the numbers we were talking with Stastny's agent were 7 years and ~$45m. I'd have guessed we'd try to get him at $6.75m, but if we have to go higher then I think we will.
Where did you hear that? I don't ask because I don't believe you. Only I find it strange that our opening offer was less than the $6.6M per he said was his bottom line. I'd think we would at least open there. As long as he is still talking to us, it is cool and we can go up. But it is still strange.

Old
06-28-2014, 10:19 AM
Alklha

A friend of mine, all he said is that the numbers we discussed were around $45m over 7 years, which would might even mean the same $6.6m cap hit (which would be $46.2m). The point he was making was that from what he understands we didn't discuss going as high as $7m. I think we would if push came to shove.

Old
06-28-2014, 11:38 AM
ExJbeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
A friend of mine, all he said is that the numbers we discussed were around $45m over 7 years, which would might even mean the same $6.6m cap hit (which would be $46.2m). The point he was making was that from what he understands we didn't discuss going as high as $7m. I think we would if push came to shove.
For who? Vinny? Stas?

Old
06-28-2014, 11:46 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExJbeck View Post
For who? Vinny? Stas?
Stas lol.

Old
06-28-2014, 11:49 AM
Alklha

Stastny. Lecavalier will be traded, so his cap hit would be $4.5m for 4 years.

What is interesting about Lecavalier is that he has a full NMC, and we were apparently his second choice last season. You look at what Vancouver got for Garrison, and Lecavalier might be had for a mid level prospect if he decides on 1 team.

Old
06-28-2014, 12:27 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Approaching 1000 posts.

Part XII is up.

Closed.

Closed Thread