HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are Any Forwards From This Draft Likely To Step Right Into A Top 6 NHL Role In 07-08?

Old
03-30-2007, 11:59 AM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

vCash: 500
Are Any Forwards From This Draft Likely To Step Right Into A Top 6 NHL Role In 07-08?

Many on here feel that we'll be filling a spot on our top 6 with an UFA or through a trade. Is there any of the top forwards that we could maybe draft in the top 6 picks that could step right in and produce offensively at this level ala Staal, Nash, etc.??? That would certainly be a cheap 3 year fix and then we could devote more $ to the back-end. Not what many would like to hear but if EIG is as cheap as some say, IMO this would make the most sense.

03-30-2007, 12:05 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

I think Cherepanov could be, he would be highest on my list.

Maybe Kane, but I think he's needs to put on weight.

Some of the guys lower on the list Vellieux, Aliu and others maybe be ready to step in, but not in a top-6 roll.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 12:10 PM
voxel

What about Voracek? Isn't he a complete player? A Mac-T player?

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 12:16 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Not with the Oilers, I don't think. Unless whoever we end up drafting this year is going to be better right out of junior as an 18 year old, than Nilsson, Pouliot, Schremp, Brodziak, or Jacques are now.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 12:29 PM
Hemsky4PM

I, and a lot of scouts, think Alzner has a shot too. I'd say Kane, Alzner, Cherepanov and Voracek are the closest to being NHL ready. Kane could easily put on 10 lbs this summer with the NHL carrot in front of him. JVR, Gagner, Esposito, Couture, Ellerby and others are probably not quite ready.

With a top 6 pick the Oilers are assured of getting one of Kane, Cherepanov, Alzner, JVR or Voracek. I see there being one "out there" top 5 selection. If those are the top 5 guys taken the Oilers could take Ellerby 6th.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 12:36 PM
Giggli G

Cherepanov would be the most likely. Although he'd have to get used to the NA game, he's coming out of the second best league in the world.

Man I would love to get that guy.

Giggli G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 12:46 PM
Digger12

Until you get these kids into an NHL training camp, it's hard to predict with any degree of certainty.

The only one of the top guys I'd be confident in saying is not ready for the rigors of the NHL is Turris, due to his stringbean frame and playing in a far inferior league. After that, who knows?

Digger12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 12:46 PM
Bauer83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
I, and a lot of scouts, think Alzner has a shot too. I'd say Kane, Alzner, Cherepanov and Voracek are the closest to being NHL ready. Kane could easily put on 10 lbs this summer with the NHL carrot in front of him. JVR, Gagner, Esposito, Couture, Ellerby and others are probably not quite ready.

With a top 6 pick the Oilers are assured of getting one of Kane, Cherepanov, Alzner, JVR or Voracek. I see there being one "out there" top 5 selection. If those are the top 5 guys taken the Oilers could take Ellerby 6th.
Living here in Kamloops, I really hope the Oilers grab Ellerby. He has some good size, can really move the puck, and was one of the few Blazers defencemen who could break the Giants trap. He is what we need, and personally I would draft him even if I had the 5th pick.

Bauer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 01:04 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

JVR, Alzner and Couture are likely the closest (btw I am really liking Couture right now, getting him wouldn't suck, I see him as another Toews).

Outside shot with Voracek as well. He seems fairly complete, but the Q is a bigger jump then some other leagues.

03-30-2007, 01:16 PM
Cerebral

I don't think there is one forward in this draft who could step into a top 6 role in the NHL next season (and it would be foolish to burn one of their UFA years trying it as well). The only player in the draft who looks potentially NHL-ready to me is Alzner.

03-30-2007, 07:17 PM
Master Lok

I agree with Cerebral. The OP asked if there are any forwards "likely" to step right into a top 6 role. I don't think any of the forwards are "likely" to actually do it. That doesn't mean that none of them will do it, but there are no Crosby, or Malkin in this draft.

think about it - how "likely" is an 18 year old to step into a top 6 role in the NHL? very doubtful.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2007, 02:15 AM
ChrisB

Cherepanov could probably step into the top six of a struggling team. He's been putting up better numbers than Malkin, so its quite possible that he could make an immediate impact. The Russian Superleague is also a lot higher level of competition than the NCAA or junior so the adjustment wouldn't be as great.

ChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2007, 02:58 AM
Hemsky4PM

I've heard that Ellerby is very solid too. He's rated highly on a lot of lists I've seen and could be a better long term prospect than Alzner. I think the Oilers will be drafting a skilled forward, however. We have some puck movers that they are supposedly happy with in Smid, Gilbert, Chorney and Grebeshkov. I think we've seen that beyond Hemsky and Stoll we don't have a lot of great offensive punch up front.

I know, draft the best player available...but any 50-50 debate should have the tie breaker: Take the Forward.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2007, 01:18 PM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
JVR, Alzner and Couture are likely the closest (btw I am really liking Couture right now, getting him wouldn't suck, I see him as another Toews).

Outside shot with Voracek as well. He seems fairly complete, but the Q is a bigger jump then some other leagues.
The Q is no more a bigger jump than the OHL...which is where Couture plays...

LaLaLaprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2007, 02:07 PM
Declassified

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaprise View Post
The Q is no more a bigger jump than the OHL...which is where Couture plays...
Defensemen in the Q are plywood with holes on stands.

Declassified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2007, 02:09 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post

I disagree, I think Cherpanov is putting up pretty good numbers against top quality men and would be most ready to step in right away. It's a big diference between the juniors and the RSL.

The Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2007, 02:10 PM
ThePhoenixx

Who is the fastest skater in the top seven?

ThePhoenixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2007, 02:12 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
(and it would be foolish to burn one of their UFA years trying it as well).
This is the most important point. Unless you have a Crosby (or maybe a Lecavalier or a Thorton) there's no point in playing a player in the NHL when he's 18.

The Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2007, 11:05 PM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declassified View Post
Defensemen in the Q are plywood with holes on stands.
Than why did both the OHL and QMJHL tie for goals per game this year???

This isnt the mid 90's...the Q isnt some no defense league anymore.

LaLaLaprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2007, 11:15 PM
hfboardsuser

My vote goes to Bill Sweatt. I can see him having the kind of special teams impact Jordan Staal has had.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote