HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C/W William Nylander - Modo, SHL (2014, 8th overall, Toronto)

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2014, 04:02 PM
Kamiccolo
Oh Crap Baskets

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreSaurusRex View Post
Does he have any advantages over Ehlers?
I don't know about advantages, but disadvantages, Nylander was drafted by the leafs. That means Ehlers will be better at everything, at every stage, and people will take Ehlers over Nylander at every stage of their careers, unless he is traded.

Old
06-28-2014, 04:19 PM
ChesapeakeRipper
Tres Comma Club

vCash: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Reim View Post
I don't know about advantages, but disadvantages, Nylander was drafted by the leafs. That means Ehlers will be better at everything, at every stage, and people will take Ehlers over Nylander at every stage of their careers, unless he is traded.
yea, sounds about right

Old
06-28-2014, 04:49 PM
Sundinisagod
christmas in june

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreSaurusRex View Post
Does he have any advantages over Ehlers?
The most obvious I can see is that he plays center, and the Leafs have the option of sending him to the AHL, I wanna add genetics as a plus but Ehlers comes from good bloodlines too.

I'd love to here a more comprehensive breakdown how they compare if anybody is so inclined.

Old
06-28-2014, 04:58 PM
Sundinisagod
christmas in june

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post

Also what I loved in an interview after the draft, when he was asked what he needs to work on to get to the next level he says everything, that he's not happy with anything in his game right now and just wants to keep getting better.
Is it just me, or does he resemble Erik Karlsson when the puck is on his stick?

Old
06-28-2014, 05:15 PM
BananaSquad

Hows his 2 way game? I know his offense is off the charts, but can he play a solid 2 way game as well? The leafs can put the puck in the net with the best of them, but need more of that complete 2 way center. He reminds me of Kadri in a way but i could be way off with that comparsion.

Anyways leaf fans it looks like you got one heck of an offensive prospect.

Old
06-28-2014, 06:34 PM
Romang67
BitterSwede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Reim View Post

Nylander is a lot sturdier right now, though I don't know how much that will matter as he isn't a gritty player (unless that has changed?). However, because of this, I'd say that he's closer to a spot in the NHL, as Ehlers needs some time to get heavier.

He also has the opportunity to play in the AHL, which Ehlers doesn't have.

Old
06-28-2014, 07:27 PM
that is unfortunate
woops

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83* View Post
Sometimes organizational needs triumph BPA.

The last thing Toronto needed was another 160lb Forward - that if he hits his ceiling is a 2C. Oh and can't play defence.
Is he even a true C?

See Bozak
See Kadri
See Gauthier
See Holland

All capable of filling 2-3C admirably 3/4 can't play defence to save their lives.

Ritchie was the best choice as far as what was left on the table - seeing that Josh Leivo is currently their best Forward Prospect.
If you were going to gamble on anyone it would be Ehlers. Who still fills an organizational need even if he doesn't hit his ceiling. Again Josh Leivo.
Someone's clearly never watched Nylander. I wouldn't be surprised if he turns out to be the best player in the draft.

Old
06-28-2014, 07:41 PM
Romang67
BitterSwede

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83* View Post
Sometimes organizational needs triumph BPA.

The last thing Toronto needed was another 160lb Forward - that if he hits his ceiling is a 2C. Oh and can't play defence.
Is he even a true C?

See Bozak
See Kadri
See Gauthier
See Holland

All capable of filling 2-3C admirably 3/4 can't play defence to save their lives.

Ritchie was the best choice as far as what was left on the table - seeing that Josh Leivo is currently their best Forward Prospect.
If you were going to gamble on anyone it would be Ehlers. Who still fills an organizational need even if he doesn't hit his ceiling. Again Josh Leivo.
Isn't Nylander ~180 pounds?

Old
06-28-2014, 10:06 PM
Tyler Biggs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureloss View Post
Listening to Kyle Woodlief - Chief Scout for Red Line Report - on Oilers Now.

Woodlief said Red Line report ranked Nylander #11 and the only reason Nylander isn't in their top 10 was because of his diva like mentality.

Called Nylander coddled and said Nylander's Dad hasn't done him any favours with his attitude.

Anyone else hear this about Nylander?
The kid has an attitude that'll do well in T.O. Seems confident enough to be undated by the scrutiny of Leafs fans. I just hope they don't rush him. Let's avoid another Luke Schenn situation.

Old
06-28-2014, 10:39 PM
Future

You can put the questions about his attitude and diva crap to bed. Shanny talked about how he did a lot of homework on him. Talked to players that he has played with in the past as well as Nylander, and his coaches, and they had nothing but great things to say about him. They've also had many interviews with him and really got to know him. By all accounts, he's a great kid. But obviously really confident.

Old
06-28-2014, 11:04 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Biggs View Post
The kid has an attitude that'll do well in T.O. Seems confident enough to be undated by the scrutiny of Leafs fans. I just hope they don't rush him. Let's avoid another Luke Schenn situation.
Tbh, I think if you're going to play in Toronto then being arrogant/full of yourself can really only help - lol, it provides a set of armour to deal with the idiot media.

Look at guys like Dion and Kadri...I think if either had more humble personalities, they would have left town in tears along time ago.

If the Islanders hadn't taken Ho-Sang, he's another guy who would have been okay, imo.

Old
06-28-2014, 11:24 PM
Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
Tbh, I think if you're going to play in Toronto then being arrogant/full of yourself can really only help - lol, it provides a set of armour to deal with the idiot media.

Look at guys like Dion and Kadri...I think if either had more humble personalities, they would have left town in tears along time ago.

If the Islanders hadn't taken Ho-Sang, he's another guy who would have been okay, imo.
Well Kessel signed an 8 year extension...

But I do think being really confident helps a lot in big markets.

Old
06-28-2014, 11:29 PM
snizzbone*
ignore listed

Quote:

Kessel just doesn't give a ****, he just wants to play hawkey.

Old
06-28-2014, 11:31 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Hawks!

Quote:

...lol, I almost edited my post to mention Kessel...but then didn't bother.

Kessel is a special case - insofar as I think his own 'unique' personality also really helps. He's not an arrogant guy by any stretch - while he's awkward and doesn't seem interested in much attention ...he's also not self-conscious as at all...and I think that is his own 'armour' for dealing with the media morons - he just sorts of floats outside it all.

In some ways, I think that of all the Leafs, Kessel is the one who deals with it all the best...but part of that, I think, is that he's not moth-to-flame attention wise like someone like Kadri.

Old
06-28-2014, 11:46 PM
Woodhouse

vCash: 666
Awards:
Folks, this thread is for discussion of Nylander. You are given some rope with off-topic posts stemming from comparisons, but please and try to keep the thread topical. Rants about the Leafs draft history and scouting are better suited for your team forum. Thanks.

Old
06-29-2014, 12:43 AM
CaptainKishimoto
=-{Astral Finish}-=

I really like this pick for the Leafs. I was expecting them to pick a big, skilled player (like Ritchie) or a safer pick. Glad they decided to deviate from the norm, because it wasn't working for them.

Old
06-29-2014, 12:56 AM
7even
Go on, do your duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
Folks, this thread is for discussion of Nylander. You are given some rope with off-topic posts stemming from comparisons, but please and try to keep the thread topical. Rants about the Leafs draft history and scouting are better suited for your team forum. Thanks.
You're doing the lord's work in this thread Woodhouse

Old
06-29-2014, 10:30 AM
weems

How can you not love this pick if your a Leafs fan?

At #8 you get the kid who arguably has the most offensive talent in the draft. His skating/agility, hands, shiftyness and shot are top level. He obviously needs to get bigger and stronger but what makes me very optimistic in this regard is how well he tested at the combine (finished 1st or 2nd in many of the disciplines). If this kid can gain 10-15 lbs of mass and show he can handle the C position this will turn into one of the best Leaf selections they've ever made. I love the fact he has a certain swagger and seemingly wants to be great.

The Patrick Kane lite comparison seems accurate.

Old
06-29-2014, 10:41 AM
3 Minute Minor

Before the draft, everyone said he's a winger at the next level.

He gets drafted by Toronto, so everyone will expect him to be a center at the next level.

Old
06-29-2014, 10:41 AM
Evolu7ion
#firelindenning

Nylander projects as a winger, but he has elite upside. Boom or bust potential, he's either going to be piling up points, or not have a role as he has to score to be effective.

Personally, I think he's going to be a 70-80 point Patrick Kane lite. He'll help drive puck possession from the wing. Great pick at 8 especially for a weak draft.

Old
06-29-2014, 10:48 AM
Center Ice Scrum*

vCash: 50
I don't think he's Patrick Kane lite. If anything his game will be a hybrid between Erik Karlsson and Patrick Kane. He's going to be one hell of a talent. Finally the Leafs give us fans something to be optimistic and excite about (ignoring the Gunnar trade ofc, lol).

Old
06-29-2014, 10:52 AM
Hyack57

Forgive my ignorance but could he play in the CHL next year, as in if a team owns his rights?

Old
06-29-2014, 10:55 AM
3 Minute Minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyack57 View Post
Forgive my ignorance but could he play in the CHL next year, as in if a team owns his rights?
He could literally play anywhere - NHL, AHL, CHL, Sweden, etc.

Old
06-29-2014, 10:57 AM
Tryampled
Registered Snoozer

I'm sure Nylander will be a good player but I don't see him as a good fit for the Leafs. I mean, they really need defense, two-way forwards, toughness in the top 6. so they go out and draft maybe the softest player in the first round? Nonis really has no clue.

Old
06-29-2014, 11:05 AM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
I'm sure Nylander will be a good player but I don't see him as a good fit for the Leafs. I mean, they really need defense, two-way forwards, toughness in the top 6. so they go out and draft maybe the softest player in the first round? Nonis really has no clue.
BPA.

If they feel he has Patty Kane potential over someone that has Raffi Torres potential who cares the style of game they play?

Closed Thread