HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 - 2015 Coyotes Roster Part 3

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2014, 07:49 PM
Desert Ice 11
;)

vCash: 450
Korpi does a good job blocking shots and is more a defensive player. He has great speed and is very useful on the back check. I think some of you also forget that he was injured for a while last season.

It would be better if he got full season, maybe change some of your minds. He has put up 40 points in the past and got 25 points in 64 games last season. Also, if you look at players to similar contracts he is about on par for his performance and pay.

Old
06-28-2014, 07:56 PM
Grimes

vCash: 500
At this point I think Korpi is on the roster considering we have another space to fill and it sounds like Moss and Vrbata are all but gone. Can't complain about that all all. But he seemed like decent trade bait when we only had two holes in the lines. Have three now...again.

Old
06-28-2014, 08:10 PM
CC96
Serious Offender

So let me try and figure this out.

Boedker - Vermette - Doan
XXXX - Hanzal - XXXX
Korpi - XXXX - Erat
Chipchura - XXXX - McMillan
Klinkhammer
XXXX

OEL - Z
Yandle - Stone
Schlemko - Summers (because, of course)
Gormley
Murphy

Smith
XXXX

Let's see, we need 2 top-6 wings, a third line (ideally, top-6) center, a fourth line center, a physical stay at home defenseman (Maloney said he wants to "toughen up the defense"), a 14th forward "enforcer", and a back-up goalie. Also, Maloney doesn't seem like he wants to make a significant trade, because of our poor depth.

We have $47.9 million in salary committed to next season, and most of you estimate the budget to be $60-61 million. Try filling this roster with prospects and free agents, go.

Old
06-28-2014, 09:03 PM
crazyhockeylover96

Boedker-Vermette-Doan
Domi (C/LW)-Hanzal-Erat
Lessio-McMillan(C/LW)-Szwarz
Korpikoski(C/W)-Chipchura(C/W)-Klinkhammer

"Enforcer"

OEL-Murphy
Z-Yandle
Gormley-Summers

Stone-Schlemko (trade bait, please)

Smith
"Backup"

Per Capgeek: $53.3 million not counting the 2 mentioned open slots. Not ideal but nothing about the Coyotes is ever ideal. Your list of needs isn't going to happen. This roster reflects youth that has spent time last season with the team. Domi is expected to stick. This is not a Cup team and a lot would have to work perfectly for this to even be a playoff team but this is within a reasonable Coyotes budget with room for the 2 contracts and late season flexibility. Tippett likes the flexibility to move centers and wings as needed. DM stated that trade talks will resume tomorrow league wide. So who knows what else may happen. Vermette and Z are in their final years so they may become trade bait at some point.

Old
06-28-2014, 09:17 PM
Desert Ice 11
;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC96 View Post
So let me try and figure this out.

Boedker - Vermette - Doan
XXXX - Hanzal - XXXX
Korpi - XXXX - Erat
Chipchura - XXXX - McMillan
Klinkhammer
XXXX

OEL - Z
Yandle - Stone
Schlemko - Summers (because, of course)
Gormley
Murphy

Smith
XXXX
Ok, Now I am going to look at what pieces we have in the system and fill in some holes..until we know who is coming in...

Boedker Vermette Doan
Korpikoski Hanzal Erat
Domi Some Center McMillan
Klinkhammer Chipchura Szwarz
twitter  

OEL Z
Yandle Stone
Schlemko Summers
Gormley 
Murphy 

SmithVisentin

I know alot of you will say "Need more time in the minors" or "Not ready" but this is just looking at where we are at now.

Also, think Visentin can handle the 10 to 15 games he might get as Smiths backup. Did fine the last game of the season.

Old
06-28-2014, 09:27 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
It's not like the Coyotes ever had a #1 center.
Olli Jokinen was pretty much a bonafide 1C when he came here, having been over a PPG player in the previous 3 seasons in Florida. Of course we know what happened then...

If the price isn't steep for Spezza, I'm not against trading for him. As I've said, he's a PPG center when healthy and a good goal scorer on his own right. Plus he's certainly a solid character player.

Old
06-28-2014, 09:32 PM
CC96
Serious Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPreferPi View Post
Olli Jokinen was pretty much a bonafide 1C when he came here, having been over a PPG player in the previous 3 seasons in Florida. Of course we know what happened then...

If the price isn't steep for Spezza, I'm not against trading for him. As I've said, he's a PPG center when healthy and a good goal scorer on his own right. Plus he's certainly a solid character player.
Jeremy Roenick was probably our only bonafide 1C, but that was 13 years ago..

I wouldn't mind trading for Spezza either, but Sarah Mac said Maloney would "prefer to fill the roster holes in FA so he doesn't have to give up assets".

Old
06-28-2014, 09:35 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Ice 11 View Post
It would be better if he got full season, maybe change some of your minds. He has put up 40 points in the past and got 25 points in 64 games last season. Also, if you look at players to similar contracts he is about on par for his performance and pay.
Even during his 40 and 37 point campaigns a lot of that offense came in bunches and spurts - Korpi certainly isn't a guy you can rely on in the clutch.

Don't get me wrong, I like Korpi and he's a solid role player. I don't like that Maloney/Tippett tried to force him into a top 6 role last season. And with so many unknowns at forward now with Ribs gone, it'd make sense to keep Korpi. Still, Korpi is a *very* replaceable player.

Old
06-28-2014, 09:37 PM
AndrewYotes

Now that we know that Greiss isn't returning, actually one of our most critical signings will be our back-up, we need a guy that gives us a chance to win in 15-20 games, we all know how much it hurt us when we had LOLbarbea as our backup.

Old
06-28-2014, 09:38 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:

I wouldn't mind trading for Spezza either, but Sarah Mac said Maloney would "prefer to fill the roster holes in FA so he doesn't have to give up assets".
Well yeah, Roenick...but that may as well be ancient history. Tkachuk - Roenick - Tocchet. Oh take me back, Clarence...

Yeah, I'd absolutely expect Maloney will go the UFA route with filling some of our holes at forward. Brad Richards/David Legwand/Marcel Goc/Mikhail Grabovski, come on down.

Old
06-28-2014, 09:40 PM
CC96
Serious Offender

Quote:
Even during his 40 and 37 point campaigns a lot of that offense came in bunches and spurts - Korpi certainly isn't a guy you can rely on in the clutch.

Don't get me wrong, I like Korpi and he's a solid role player. I don't like that Maloney/Tippett tried to force him into a top 6 role last season. And with so many unknowns at forward now with Ribs gone, it'd make sense to keep Korpi. Still, Korpi is a *very* replaceable player.
You can consider Vrbata good as gone now too, now that DM is saying he doesn't expect any of our free agents to return. Just makes things even more unknown going into next next year.

Old
06-28-2014, 09:40 PM
Desert Ice 11
;)

Quote:

Right but whats the point in trading him? Especially if would have to get a player to replace him. I think its better to keep him..one less role to fill.

Sign a 3rd line center and maybe a 2nd or a 3rd line winger..Give some young guys a shot call it an off season.

Old
06-28-2014, 09:42 PM
ctwin22
Go Desert Dogs

If we have to have Erat anywhere near the top 6 and McMillan centering the 3rd line we're in deep *****

Erat is "has to be" on the 3rd line with Lessio and Vermette. We "have" to go get a #2 or better center to pair with Doan & Boedker.

Lessio/Vermette/Erat is a decent to good 3rd line

Korpi/ ? /Klinkhammer is an ok 4th, but we need a RH center for that 4th line. In reality, Chips and Klinkhammer should be traded to teams with cap problems...and we should go get guys who can actually PK better than Korpi

Doan/Grabovski/Kulemin
Domi/Hanzal/Boedker
Lessio/Vermette/Erat
Korpi/Vitale/ someone who can kill penalties
Klinkhammer

OEL/Z
Yandle/Stone
Gormley/Murphy
Summers
Schlemko

Smith
Montoya

Old
06-28-2014, 09:43 PM
CC96
Serious Offender

Quote:
Well yeah, Roenick...but that may as well be ancient history. Tkachuk - Roenick - Tocchet. Oh take me back, Clarence...

Yeah, I'd absolutely expect Maloney will go the UFA route with filling some of our holes at forward. Brad Richards/David Legwand/Marcel Goc/Mikhail Grabovski, come on down.
I mean, I know I sound really pessimistic right now and I hate it, but I just don't see how signing one or even two of those guys is going to make us a better team next year. Also, Grabo is asking for $5 million per on a multi-year deal, so we should probably cross him off the list.

Old
06-28-2014, 09:46 PM
BUX7PHX

Quote:

In the 18 games that Korpi was out, our PK % was 76.7%

In the 64 games that Korpi was in, our PK % was 79.7%

Please tell me that his role as a PKer is not critical on our team, and that he doesn't provide more offensive capabilities than say, Boyd Gordon, Joe Vitale, or the other PKers that it makes sense to replace him with. He also had assists on all 3 SH goals that we had...

Old
06-28-2014, 09:48 PM
AndrewYotes

I'm dissapointed Vrbata is choosing to go FA. You would think he had a lot of reasons to stay here, being how we've treated him, having Z and Hanzal on the team, and etc. Either he's really asking for a lot or we are really lowballing the guy.

Old
06-28-2014, 09:50 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
I mean, I know I sound really pessimistic right now and I hate it, but I just don't see how signing one or even two of those guys is going to make us a better team next year. Also, Grabo is asking for $5 million per on a multi-year deal, so we should probably cross him off the list.
It's a tall order, no doubt.

Old
06-28-2014, 09:52 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUX7PHX View Post
In the 18 games that Korpi was out, our PK % was 76.7%

In the 64 games that Korpi was in, our PK % was 79.7%

Please tell me that his role as a PKer is not critical on our team, and that he doesn't provide more offensive capabilities than say, Boyd Gordon, Joe Vitale, or the other PKers that it makes sense to replace him with. He also had assists on all 3 SH goals that we had...
So going from mediocre to slightly less mediocre. Gotcha.

Old
06-28-2014, 09:53 PM
Desert Ice 11
;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewYotes View Post
I'm dissapointed Vrbata is choosing to go FA. You would think he had a lot of reasons to stay here, being how we've treated him, having Z and Hanzal on the team, and etc. Either he's really asking for a lot or we are really lowballing the guy.
I still think its a tactic and will sign an offer here before camp. Why make a choice now when he doesn't have to? Probably just wants the best offer possible and to ensure that is to hold out as long as possible.

Old
06-28-2014, 09:55 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:

...and I can understand that giving up no assets is pretty attractive in itself. Some posters don't seem to realize that option 'A' may not be available and blame GMDM. I wouldn't want to overpay for Spezza either, heck I hope they don't pay a fair price for him. Legwand would be a good addition as long as he isn't too expensive.

Old
06-28-2014, 10:06 PM
Muppet
7th Round Pick

vCash: 934
Well, Maloney has a busy week ahead of him. We're losing all of our FA's according to the man himself, so I hope he knows what he's doing.

Old
06-28-2014, 10:08 PM
Mosby
Howl On

Quote:

Pretty cool what Spezza did for Bennett after the whole "can't do a chin up" fiasco

Old
06-28-2014, 10:10 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:

I thought he was more effective as a 2nd line center, but Janney wasn't very good on the 1st line.
I can't see a GM saying he would rather trade to get a center than getting a free agent (and right before free agency starts), or even say that there isn't much available in free agency.

Old
06-28-2014, 10:11 PM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewYotes View Post
Something tells me he will stay with the Coyotes, he's just looking for more money.

Old
06-28-2014, 10:24 PM
Mosby
Howl On

After Ribeiro, I'm a bit skeptical of Grabovski. There were multiple times in Toronto when he fought with teammates. It happened in Montreal on one occasion too. We also have no Russians (Grabovski is Belarussian) so I wonder if there would be a bit of barrier anyway.

As for Korpi, he doesn't have the offensive abilities to be a regular Top 6. He needs to be on the third line (maybe fourth) or not on the team all together. Also worth mentioning, remember he came into camp last year with the added muscle weight. It was intended to make him a more punishing player but it really just diminished his speed.

Closed Thread