HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I... (Part 3)

Old
06-28-2014, 10:46 PM
Sureshotte
Thumbs up, soldier!

vCash: 500
Went to the Ducks team sale and got a Bonino pro stock Reebok 11k stick and some Bauer Pro series shoulder pads for $100 total. Both brand new.

Sureshotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 03:13 PM
BrummieRed

. . . had a good rec team scrim tonight. I play LW but I seem to do better at forechecking than goalscoring. Made a nuisance of myself to a few people I'd wanted to get to for a while now.

BrummieRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 08:36 PM
TCRF
RICK. GNASH

vCash: 476
Scored a goal as the goalie in a 3v3 mini tourney. On the 4v3 PK and I just lobbed it down the ground (Is street for summer) and it hit someone's leg and outreached other goalie by just a few inches. Felt legit.

TCRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 10:22 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Tested out a shorter stick for the first time in a while in a game today. Have been using about an inch longer than Bauer stock which comes up to my adams apple in skates. I have two pro stock sticks that have the built in extension (so once cut, can't add another), so I pulled the extension out of another one that's a little stiff just to see how it would go.

Felt much easier carrying the puck with one hand. Wish I would have tried more 1v1 moves. Shots were meh as the flex was stiffer than I'd like. Much easier to pick pucks up in close. I think I'll be cutting the other sticks. We have a 4 week layoff so I will probably hit up some stick times and/or pickup to really get a good feel for it.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 10:38 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Voluntarily moving back to defense next season. Been thinking about it some. Our team really needs guys who can move the puck and score on the blue line. I always think those teams are harder to play against.

We had maybe two guys who can skate well and move the puck a bit and three who weren't as strong, so hopefully we can roll three decent pairings out there.

It's going to be a fun new challenge, something I haven't done for a few years. I played my first few years of rec league at wing, then shifted back to defense for a couple years, then moved back up for the last few.

I've been working out somewhat consistently lately too. Heavy kettlebell swings and air squats. My endurance sucks. Need to clean up my diet and cut back on beer as well. Really want to get in some better shape for league this winter.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 11:21 AM
MattGTI

am playing a hockey "double header". Game 1 at 8:00, then a quick ride up the highway for game 2 at 10:20. 4 or 5 other guys that play on both teams are doing the same. First time for all of us.

MattGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 11:02 PM
TCRF
RICK. GNASH

vCash: 476
Went on a little ebay spree... bought a Jägermeister hockey jersey

TCRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 07:52 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Haven't played in two weeks biked 50+ miles this week after picking up a new (to me) bike this week. Curious to see how is translates. Legs are drained from pushing it harder and harder.

Old
07-25-2014, 09:36 PM
Cursed Lemon
Registered Bruiser

Send a message via AIM to Cursed Lemon Send a message via MSN to Cursed Lemon Send a message via Yahoo to Cursed Lemon
Skated at Bridgestone for a session of open hockey. The entire ice surface was painted by kids writing silly designs and words - it was IMPOSSIBLE to see the puck on the ice, but it was still fun.

Cursed Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 11:00 PM
Mikey 48
Still D.R.E.J.

Finally bought new shin pads today.

Mikey 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 05:59 PM
Cursed Lemon
Registered Bruiser

Send a message via AIM to Cursed Lemon Send a message via MSN to Cursed Lemon Send a message via Yahoo to Cursed Lemon
My summer men's league team has destroyed every team thus far by about 10 goals, but we just lost 8-4 (we only had eight guys, but still).

I feel like a guy who was really stinking rich about three hours ago, but is now bankrupt. :x

Old
07-29-2014, 10:36 PM
Cursed Lemon
Registered Bruiser

Bridgestone ice right now:

Old
08-02-2014, 08:46 PM
Pacifist Goon

Well last night I was really happy with my skating and involvement in the game at both ends and felt in the zone. This after a layoff for a couple of weeks with some travel and the like. Put one away five hole from a 2 on 1 pass to centre in a 4-2 win.

Out for pick up this morning and tweaked a groin after about five minutes which was the end for me. Must have gone a bit too hard last night. Just as I'm getting closer to where I'm wanting to be skating wise too. Highs and lows.

Pacifist Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2014, 10:54 PM
Cursed Lemon
Registered Bruiser

Played a team tonight.

They had 20 guys. We had 9.

They had synchronized warmup drills. A team chant. They had a COACH, and brought a crowd with them.

They were undefeated.

Were.

Old
08-04-2014, 12:04 AM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursed Lemon View Post
Played a team tonight.

They had 20 guys. We had 9.

They had synchronized warmup drills. A team chant. They had a COACH, and brought a crowd with them.

They were undefeated.

Were.
They what? No thank you. I'd take 9 over that all day long.

Switched back to a longer stick and feel better with it. Only a 1/4" of a difference but better. I am struggling with getting confidence in taking guys 1v1 in game settings and risking a scoring chance. I have the ability in pickup, but never use it in games. It's like I would rather have the play die on a pass or cycle than me trying to walk guys.

Last edited by Splitbtw: 08-04-2014 at 12:26 AM.
Old
08-04-2014, 03:19 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbtw View Post
They what? No thank you. I'd take 9 over that all day long.

Switched back to a longer stick and feel better with it. Only a 1/4" of a difference but better. I am struggling with getting confidence in taking guys 1v1 in game settings and risking a scoring chance. I have the ability in pickup, but never use it in games. It's like I would rather have the play die on a pass or cycle than me trying to walk guys.
I have the opposite issue. I blow plays because I forego passes at times and try to walk defenders too often.

While both will draw vitriol from your teammates, blowing a play while not passing will induce a lot more rage than passing.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 11:56 PM
Ozz

Played my first game tonight since the birth of my son 2.5 weeks ago. Been very tired working from home, and caring for him and my wife.

Anyway, my team battled the undefeated team for first place and destroyed them 10-3. I had 4 assists and got my linemate his first ever hat trick. He was so excited! I felt pretty damn good considering my restfulness, can't wait to play on Thursday now. Monday league's playoffs start next week.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2014, 04:24 PM
GinoLucia2217
SkiUMah #Gophers

vCash: 328
Have a hockey tryout for the Minnesota Elite Prep Development League. Tad Nervous but more than ready.

GinoLucia2217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2014, 04:48 PM
MattGTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Played my first game tonight since the birth of my son 2.5 weeks ago. Been very tired working from home, and caring for him and my wife.

Anyway, my team battled the undefeated team for first place and destroyed them 10-3. I had 4 assists and got my linemate his first ever hat trick. He was so excited! I felt pretty damn good considering my restfulness, can't wait to play on Thursday now. Monday league's playoffs start next week.
Congratulations! I know the feeling. Its been tough juggling work, family, hockey, and everything else for the past year(My son was born September of last year).

I'm a firm believer in family first. However, I've been very fortunate that I have been able to get out and play as much as I have over the past year. I'm very lucky.
Good luck in your playoff run. Looking forward to our playoffs in 2 weeks. Should be fun.

MattGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2014, 05:20 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGTI View Post
Congratulations! I know the feeling. Its been tough juggling work, family, hockey, and everything else for the past year(My son was born September of last year).

I'm a firm believer in family first. However, I've been very fortunate that I have been able to get out and play as much as I have over the past year. I'm very lucky.
Good luck in your playoff run. Looking forward to our playoffs in 2 weeks. Should be fun.
Thanks on all accounts. Monday's team would be an upset if we don't win it all, Thursday's team has 2 out of the 4 players with any talent injured with playoffs starting Sunday (if we win 1 game, I'll be surprised), and my Tuesday team at another rink is still halfway through their season. No clue how we fare there.

I don't feel bad getting out of the house frequently though; I figure if I had a normal job I'd be gone much more so I should realize the positive points of it all and feel good about staying sane

Old
08-10-2014, 08:48 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Thanks on all accounts. Monday's team would be an upset if we don't win it all, Thursday's team has 2 out of the 4 players with any talent injured with playoffs starting Sunday (if we win 1 game, I'll be surprised), and my Tuesday team at another rink is still halfway through their season. No clue how we fare there.

I don't feel bad getting out of the house frequently though; I figure if I had a normal job I'd be gone much more so I should realize the positive points of it all and feel good about staying sane
Well the Thursday team won their opening playoff round! It could easily have gone either way; thankfully I was on my game and made a difference. In a 5-4 win, I got 2g2a. One goal was an unassisted breakaway from playing it forward on a faceoff in our zone. It was the only draw I took all game, as I fell back to cover D for this game, but for some reason our center wanted me to take it. It definitely worked out Then for the game-winner, I fed him a breakaway pass straight up the center.

Monday's team opens playoffs tomorrow

Old
08-11-2014, 01:42 AM
aguynamedjoe

Was on D when we lost a draw in our zone with 6 seconds left and they scored to tie it. Then they won in overtime.

Did not feel good to lose that one, even though I felt like overall I actually played pretty well for the game overall

aguynamedjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 12:55 PM
haveandare

Had a very good practice session at the roller rink today. Not as cool as some of the other stories in here, but gotta start somewhere.

I'd been working on my shot at home with some lighter pucks, and hadn't been able to make the trek to the rink to shoot full force with a normal puck in a while. Finally took some shots today, and I really felt that the practice had paid off. My shot has way, way more power than it did when I was first learning not too long ago. The accuracy is coming along nicely too - been roofing it and hitting corners fairly often when I try to. Still working on getting a nice shot off with full power while I'm really hauling it, but it's a process.

A few months into the process of seriously learning now, and I literally can't believe how long I went without playing hockey regularly. Insane.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 08:52 PM
Cursed Lemon
Registered Bruiser

Today I...misjudged the intensity of a drop-in session, and picked a bad time to forego my cage. Accidental high sticks hurt.

Old
08-11-2014, 10:37 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Well the Thursday team won their opening playoff round! It could easily have gone either way; thankfully I was on my game and made a difference. In a 5-4 win, I got 2g2a. One goal was an unassisted breakaway from playing it forward on a faceoff in our zone. It was the only draw I took all game, as I fell back to cover D for this game, but for some reason our center wanted me to take it. It definitely worked out Then for the game-winner, I fed him a breakaway pass straight up the center.

Monday's team opens playoffs tomorrow
And Monday's team advances to the finals with a 4-2 win. I had 2g1a including the opener and game-winner. Been on a roll lately!