HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Berglund signs 3 year extension ($3.7m AAV)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-29-2014, 11:11 PM
  #51
BlueDream
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 13,328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
Speaking of Berglund on the wing. Man, I loved the Berglund-Sobotka-Tarasenko line. I really wanted to see it back together once everyone was healthy, but it never happened.
I know everybody is stuck on the idea that Schwartz and Tarasenko go together, which is obviously great, but I like something like this...

Schwartz-Stastny-Oshie
Steen-Backes-Jaskin or Paajarvi-Backes-Steen
Berglund-Sobotka-Tarasenko

The two-way ability of all three of those lines is impressive. Oshie and Stastny looked very good together on team USA.

Now, I know it's also interesting to see Jaskin and/or Paajarvi get a shot above 4th line duty, but that lineup begs for a veteran right winger. Iginla and even Vrbata is very likely out of their price range, but they could legitimately afford Stastny AND someone like Downie. Then, because there's so much two-way play going on, you can play Paajarvi-Lindstrom-Jaskin as a soft-responsibility offensive 4th line if you want. With Lapierre and Reaves rotating in for nightly match-ups and to keep things fresh.
Not that the first line is bad because that'd be a great two-way line and Schwartz can score goals, but I don't know about finally getting a playmaking center and putting him with two guys that are also primarily playmakers. Maybe Steen could go on that left side instead because Stastny and Oshie did look good in the Olympics. Then Schwartz could feed Backes and Jaskin for some goals. I think that'd look good.

I do wonder who the Blues may bring in along with Stastny if it were to happen. For some reason I just don't see that being their only move. Armstrong said he was interested in Ott, but since I think he'll get overpaid, clearly they are thinking about adding another bottom 6 guy.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2014, 12:24 AM
  #52
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man
 
rumrokh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Not that the first line is bad because that'd be a great two-way line and Schwartz can score goals, but I don't know about finally getting a playmaking center and putting him with two guys that are also primarily playmakers. Maybe Steen could go on that left side instead because Stastny and Oshie did look good in the Olympics. Then Schwartz could feed Backes and Jaskin for some goals. I think that'd look good.

I do wonder who the Blues may bring in along with Stastny if it were to happen. For some reason I just don't see that being their only move. Armstrong said he was interested in Ott, but since I think he'll get overpaid, clearly they are thinking about adding another bottom 6 guy.
I don't really consider Schwartz to be primarily a playmaker. The gap between his goals and assists probably won't be large for most of his career. His release is superb, he goes to the net, and is very good at putting in rebounds. I totally understand getting a center to play with Tarasenko, and I'm all for that, too, but liked that Berglund-Sobotka-Tarasenko line and would like to see it get another chance.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2014, 02:34 AM
  #53
Ranksu
Crotch Academy ftw
 
Ranksu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Lapland
Country: Finland
Posts: 6,097
vCash: 132
Here is article of Patrick Berglund, written by Uffe Bodin on hockeysverige.se

This is my translation, so god I Hope my old Swedish teacher won't read this. I think Swedish blues fans will enjoy this post.

This summer people talked about a trade, but Patrcik Berlund stay on Blues and he will play lefwing instead of center - addiotionally he is best condition of his career. - "Patrick has done damn good work this summer, says coach Hitch".

Patrick Berglund's last yeard was big disappointment. After that he was best Swedish goalscorer in lockout season 12-13 with 17 goals in 48 games thou last season slump with 14 goals in 78 games - that was his second weakest season of all time.

After last season Patrick faced heavy criticism how he played and there was rumours that he could be traded away from St Louis Blues. Instead of complete those rumours about trade Blues gives Berglund needed trust and in June he writed new 3-year deal worth of 11.1mill. $ and 3.7mill. AAV.

After bad year Patrick has worked extremely hard to get revenge. According to all reports from Blues Patrick has done well this summer. His test results at the beginning of training camp has been brilliant and after Monday's preseason game against Dallas where he had both goals and assists, he get well received hype from Hitch about his physical condition. - "Patrick played over 20minutes and didnt slowed down at all, he didnt lose his energy and he wasnt tired one bit, says Hitch."
-" We have followed him closely today (read Tuesday) and he came back with even more energy. So the work what he has done at summer has demonstrably improved his strength on ice.

Hitch says Patrick biggest probelm previously was that he get tired too quicly and also he got such a hard time recovery from games and that usually showed as 'lazy' gamestyle.
-"Now he has done hell of a good job this summer so he can keep up his high level and it wont go down.


Patrick's physical condition isnt the only new thing his coming up season. Blues has reinforces centers with Stastny and Lehterä so its going to be clear that former Västeräs player will be pushing himself highest limit. Hitch believes that Berglund greatest strenght as a player is to lead the attack, cus Blues center role is much as playing back up position and that spot Patrcik can on rare occasions complete. Playing as (left)winger Hitch hopes Patrick will be much better outlet for his offensive tools.
-"He is better able to lead the attack and be the first one into the offensive zone instead of being the one who comes last to attack. That's why we want to test him on the edge and see how it goes.

Patrick like the challenge and he is excited with anticipation to see what change it might developed.
-"it's fun, like set your focus and mind in one thing only. i have never played on wing before, but it was really fun says Patrick."


Last edited by Ranksu: 09-26-2014 at 04:19 AM.
Ranksu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2014, 05:22 AM
  #54
Blanick
Winter is coming
 
Blanick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 6,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranksu View Post
Here is article of Patrick Berglund, written by Uffe Bodin on hockeysverige.se

This is my translation, so god I Hope my old Swedish teacher won't read this. I think Swedish blues fans will enjoy this post.

This summer people talked about a trade, but Patrcik Berlund stay on Blues and he will play lefwing instead of center - addiotionally he is best condition of his career. - "Patrick has done damn good work this summer, says coach Hitch".

Patrick Berglund's last yeard was big disappointment. After that he was best Swedish goalscorer in lockout season 12-13 with 17 goals in 48 games thou last season slump with 14 goals in 78 games - that was his second weakest season of all time.

After last season Patrick faced heavy criticism how he played and there was rumours that he could be traded away from St Louis Blues. Instead of complete those rumours about trade Blues gives Berglund needed trust and in June he writed new 3-year deal worth of 11.1mill. $ and 3.7mill. AAV.

After bad year Patrick has worked extremely hard to get revenge. According to all reports from Blues Patrick has done well this summer. His test results at the beginning of training camp has been brilliant and after Monday's preseason game against Dallas where he had both goals and assists, he get well received hype from Hitch about his physical condition. - "Patrick played over 20minutes and didnt slowed down at all, he didnt lose his energy and he wasnt tired one bit, says Hitch."
-" We have followed him closely today (read Tuesday) and he came back with even more energy. So the work what he has done at summer has demonstrably improved his strength on ice.

Hitch says Patrick biggest probelm previously was that he get tired too quicly and also he got such a hard time recovery from games and that usually showed as 'lazy' gamestyle.
-"Now he has done hell of a good job this summer so he can keep up his high level and it wont go down.


Patrick's physical condition isnt the only new thing his coming up season. Blues has reinforces centers with Stastny and Lehterä so its going to be clear that former Västeräs player will be pushing himself highest limit. Hitch believes that Berglund greatest strenght as a player is to lead the attack, cus Blues center role is much as playing back up position and that spot Patrcik can on rare occasions complete. Playing as (left)winger Hitch hopes Patrick will be much better outlet for his offensive tools.
-"He is better able to lead the attack and be the first one into the offensive zone instead of being the one who comes last to attack. That's why we want to test him on the edge and see how it goes.

Patrick like the challenge and he is excited with anticipation to see what change it might developed.
-"it's fun, like set your focus and mind in one thing only. i have never played on wing before, but it was really fun says Patrick."

Yeah there was a similar article released over here in the local newspaper. It all sound well and good but we get articles like this every single preseason. I know it will make me sound like a cynical ass but everything written this time of year should be taken with a grain of salt because 90% is hype pieces. I would love for Berglund to take a giant leap forward this year but I am going to temper expectations until I see it come to fruition on the ice.

Blanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2014, 08:52 AM
  #55
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!
 
2 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Temple, Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 13,017
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanick View Post
Yeah there was a similar article released over here in the local newspaper. It all sound well and good but we get articles like this every single preseason. I know it will make me sound like a cynical ass but everything written this time of year should be taken with a grain of salt because 90% is hype pieces. I would love for Berglund to take a giant leap forward this year but I am going to temper expectations until I see it come to fruition on the ice.
It sounds like a straight translation almost of the STLToday article.

I agree about the hype and hopefulness. But then there are objective measurables, too, like the weight Paajarvi has put on for example.

I can't remember a camp before where I was looking forward to cuts more. Its time to get the guys that have no hope of making the team back to their clubs, and let us see who is slotting into the line-up. Its been a few years since the Blues had this much competition for those last couple spots. Especially if Schwartz and/or Gunnarson are not on the ice for game one, there are opportunities here.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2014, 11:04 AM
  #56
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You
 
MattyMo35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 12,496
vCash: 500
Seems almost exactly like the article that was written about Stewart last preseason. Nothing seemed to change with him. I do think, however, that tge shift from center to wing will be beneficial.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2014, 11:06 AM
  #57
Vladys Gumption
Global Moderator
Colt55
 
Vladys Gumption's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 16,040
vCash: 500
At least Berglund doesn't limit himself to being a complete perimeter player like Stewart was. Plus, he's willing to play defense. I'm actually looking forward to seeing how he responds to playing on the wing.

Vladys Gumption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2014, 11:13 AM
  #58
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You
 
MattyMo35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 12,496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladys Gumption View Post
At least Berglund doesn't limit himself to being a complete perimeter player like Stewart was. Plus, he's willing to play defense. I'm actually looking forward to seeing how he responds to playing on the wing.
I absolutely agree that Berglund is a much more complete hockey player than Stewart, I'm just saying that these articles are written in every sport during pre season. His play in his first game is much more exciting than his supposedly improved fitness. Hitch seems to think his improved physique is the cause of his great first game, while I think the position change has more to do with his success. Improved fitness is never a bad thing obviously, but it doesn't always translate to performance on the ice.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2014, 11:17 AM
  #59
Vladys Gumption
Global Moderator
Colt55
 
Vladys Gumption's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 16,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
I absolutely agree that Berglund is a much more complete hockey player than Stewart, I'm just saying that these articles are written in every sport during pre season. His play in his first game is much more exciting than his supposedly improved fitness. Hitch seems to think his improved physique is the cause of his great first game, while I think the position change has more to do with his success. Improved fitness is never a bad thing obviously, but it doesn't always translate to performance on the ice.
You're absolutely right about those articles. I take them worth a grain of salt. I'm with you on the position change playing a big role in his potential improved play. I want to see what he can do.

Vladys Gumption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2014, 11:19 AM
  #60
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!
 
2 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Temple, Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 13,017
vCash: 50
Berglund did a good job at many parts of his role as a center. Defensively, he was effective. He was responsible. He maintained puck possession and executed Hitchcock's system to keep pressure in the offensive zone.

But he doesn't have the vision or play-making ability to feed talented finishers on his line consistently enough to match their skill level. If he were still 3C on the Blues, it would function just fine as a shut-down line.

But he also has the dimension of having a great shot himself, and proven scoring ability in the past. The Blues now have the luxury of talent at forward such that his scoring ability is more valuable than his center skills. If Berglund can make the mental gear switch to being an attacking forward, looking to shoot rather than to just maintain possession. And being fed by a good passer as his own center.

Anyway, beyond the new additions duking it out for roster spots, Berglund's new role is probably the most compelling story in camp. I think this is a lot different than the Stewart situation because he will have a different position. With Stewart, we were hoping for the right chemistry to unlock his potential, finding the center that would make him dangerous. There really was never much reason to expect that was going to happen.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2014, 11:22 AM
  #61
Vladys Gumption
Global Moderator
Colt55
 
Vladys Gumption's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 16,040
vCash: 500
I think the biggest thing that limited him as a center was his lack of foot speed. It really hindered his ability to create off the rush. Hopefully moving to the wing will minimize that. I just want to see him play angry more because when he does he's fantastic. We all know he has the size and puck possession ability to do it. If all goes well, I could see him scoring 25 goals this year.

Vladys Gumption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2014, 01:12 PM
  #62
nicholas89alex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranksu View Post
Hitch says Patrick biggest probelm previously was that he get tired too quicly and also he got such a hard time recovery from games and that usually showed as 'lazy' gamestyle.
-"Now he has done hell of a good job this summer so he can keep up his high level and it wont go down.
if this is true than it could mean we see much more "angry" Berglund. theres been a perception on this bored as berglund being lazy sometimes and not playing to his capabilities. i think hitch would know better than us whether that was due to fatigue or mind set, and hitch thinks it was fatigue.

nicholas89alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2014, 02:30 PM
  #63
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!
 
2 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Temple, Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 13,017
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas89alex View Post
if this is true than it could mean we see much more "angry" Berglund. theres been a perception on this bored as berglund being lazy sometimes and not playing to his capabilities. i think hitch would know better than us whether that was due to fatigue or mind set, and hitch thinks it was fatigue.
Yeah, but he's been a pro for years. Why would his fitness level be a hindrance? It could only be due to his training habits. I'm pretty skeptical of a guy suddenly finding different motivation (after a contract season) that is going to result in dramatically different results for his fitness level, or some new training regimen.

If that has been what held him back before, I don't have any confidence that we're going to see much difference in the future.

I read this a different way: Berglund gets discouraged and down on himself, and then he plays worse. He can get into a cycle of negative thinking. I've watched him have a bad shift that snowballs into a pedestrian game where he's obviously upset with himself. I view Hitchcock's comments as a savvy coach who is building up his player mentally, giving Berglund more reasons to expect positive results.

I don't think Hitchcock is being intentionally misleading, just overstating the fitness thing a bit.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2014, 02:37 PM
  #64
nicholas89alex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Yeah, but he's been a pro for years. Why would his fitness level be a hindrance? It could only be due to his training habits. I'm pretty skeptical of a guy suddenly finding different motivation (after a contract season) that is going to result in dramatically different results for his fitness level, or some new training regimen.

If that has been what held him back before, I don't have any confidence that we're going to see much difference in the future.

I read this a different way: Berglund gets discouraged and down on himself, and then he plays worse. He can get into a cycle of negative thinking. I've watched him have a bad shift that snowballs into a pedestrian game where he's obviously upset with himself. I view Hitchcock's comments as a savvy coach who is building up his player mentally, giving Berglund more reasons to expect positive results.

I don't think Hitchcock is being intentionally misleading, just overstating the fitness thing a bit.
very plausible. actually probably more plausible than my own post. but you never know, maybe he realized this off season that he really was trade bait, and that he really is about to be knocked out of the top 6 and it was the slap on the ass he needed to train better? you never know whats going on in somebodies head. either way hopefully it takes away his lazy games.

nicholas89alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2014, 02:39 PM
  #65
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!
 
2 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Temple, Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 13,017
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas89alex View Post
very plausible. actually probably more plausible than my own post. but you never know, maybe he realized this off season that he really was trade bait, and that he really is about to be knocked out of the top 6 and it was the slap on the ass he needed to train better? you never know whats going on in somebodies head. either way hopefully it takes away his lazy games.
He was playing for a contract last year. This year, he's got a 3 year deal in place.

"Lazy Berglund" isn't going to change. Hopefully "Angry Berglund" is the real deal, and he just needs to build some confidence and reinforce those aggressive offensive tendencies. I still rememember Paul Stastny commenting about how Berglund was going to be a star in the league.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2014, 03:08 PM
  #66
bleedblue1223
Fire Army
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 29,100
vCash: 130
Berglund is a lean mean fightin machine.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2014, 12:24 PM
  #67
KareyPrice
Registered User
 
KareyPrice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 766
vCash: 500
I picked him up last in my fantasy pool this year I saw he had kind of a poor year but I don't know much about St. Louis, any chance he turns out to be a good late pick?

KareyPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2014, 12:27 PM
  #68
ManyIdeas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 5,232
vCash: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by KareyPrice View Post
I picked him up last in my fantasy pool this year I saw he had kind of a poor year but I don't know much about St. Louis, any chance he turns out to be a good late pick?
Depends on the round. He is capable for 20g

ManyIdeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2014, 01:32 PM
  #69
KareyPrice
Registered User
 
KareyPrice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 766
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyIdeas View Post
Depends on the round. He is capable for 20g
Last round so figured it was worth a shot just wondered how St. Louis fans figured he might turn out this year

KareyPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2014, 01:34 PM
  #70
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne
 
Oberyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 8,840
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KareyPrice View Post
Last round so figured it was worth a shot just wondered how St. Louis fans figured he might turn out this year
Berglund could be a very good sleeper pick, so nice job getting him in the last round.

Oberyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2014, 02:50 PM
  #71
SneakerPimp82
Registered User
 
SneakerPimp82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,758
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SneakerPimp82
johan franzen v. 2.0

SneakerPimp82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:43 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.