HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

JF Jacques ... could he make history?

Old
03-31-2007, 10:02 PM
Bryanbryoil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil View Post
JFJ's zeros are likely all about confidence - the kid is just shelled right about now and doesn't know how to get out of it. Young powerforwards also try your patience almost as much as young dmen. All you can do is keep on giving him ABs because we need his skill set on this team (big, hits, scores a bit). I'm willing to go another year with him because his AHL performance is no fluke.
Agreed AO, that is the MO of most young power forwards. Torres fell out of favor in NY, same with Bertuzzi, however so did Josh Green and Brad Isbister. That said, IMO Mac-T should give him some better linemates so that he can get his first point. IMO it'll all start coming together after that. As Matts said, he has been thrown into the 4th line goon role. That is not his game, just because a kid can fight doesn't mean that it should be expected of him when he can bring other things to the table. IMO he has done better than MAP in their last CHL season and first AHL season and even statistically this AHL season. He was the head honcho on Baie-Comeau and he was a man amoungst boys in his teams first round play-off loss that year. Pouliot was a complimentary scorer on a superb Rimouski team. IMO he should get more time in the AHL and then get some time in a top 9 role with at least one offensive minded player, a line of JFJ-Schremp-Nilsson could be very succesful in the AHL play-offs. He could feed off of juicy Schremp rebounds, and great passes by both Robs. IMO somewhere inside of him there is a borderline 2nd line LW that can pot 20 in the NHL.

03-31-2007, 10:09 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowetide View Post
Matts: I've been more impressed with Jacques' AHL numbers than his junior numbers to be honest. You never know how many minutes they get in junior but the best players are going to get a lot of time. In Jacques' AHL time he's put up numbers in what appear to be traditional shift lengths and totals.

One thing I believe may have hurt him and Mikhnov this season is making the team and then not really playing. Also, Thoresen. As good as he's been (and I'm a big fan of Thoresen, I consider him a Finn) Thoresen got the ab's that Jacques may have gotten otherwise (Jacques beat out the rest of the competition, the guys we all knew would be in the race).

Strange year for sure.
I am not entirely sure about the Thoresen thing. As I recall Thoresen narrowly beat out Toby Petersen for the privilege of getting a semi-regular role. I think it would have played out similarly with Toby being here earlier had Thor not been around.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 12:46 AM
Hemsky4PM

For me the problem is that Jacques isn't skilled enough to be a top 6 guy EVER. So what's his max potential? To be a less useful Ethan Moreau? He should be dealt this summer if they can upgrade their skill.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 08:35 AM
OntOilFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Agreed AO, that is the MO of most young power forwards. Torres fell out of favor in NY, same with Bertuzzi, however so did Josh Green and Brad Isbister. That said, IMO Mac-T should give him some better linemates so that he can get his first point. IMO it'll all start coming together after that. As Matts said, he has been thrown into the 4th line goon role. That is not his game, just because a kid can fight doesn't mean that it should be expected of him when he can bring other things to the table. IMO he has done better than MAP in their last CHL season and first AHL season and even statistically this AHL season. He was the head honcho on Baie-Comeau and he was a man amoungst boys in his teams first round play-off loss that year. Pouliot was a complimentary scorer on a superb Rimouski team. IMO he should get more time in the AHL and then get some time in a top 9 role with at least one offensive minded player, a line of JFJ-Schremp-Nilsson could be very succesful in the AHL play-offs. He could feed off of juicy Schremp rebounds, and great passes by both Robs. IMO somewhere inside of him there is a borderline 2nd line LW that can pot 20 in the NHL.
Only in Edmonton do we apologize for a player going 44 games without a point. I guess it's no surprise we're supporting a coach who has one win in his last 16 games.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 10:27 AM
francky89

To demoralize even more Jacques, he will not play this afternoon against Chicago. Why? Maybe to save money, because Jacques will be entitled has a bonus if he plays 40 games or more...Jacques has 37 game to play, then he should not play more than 2 games to finish the season...It is not maybe a truth reason, but.....

francky89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 01:03 PM
TheGreatone94

Quote:
Originally Posted by francky89 View Post
To demoralize even more Jacques, he will not play this afternoon against Chicago. Why? Maybe to save money, because Jacques will be entitled has a bonus if he plays 40 games or more...Jacques has 37 game to play, then he should not play more than 2 games to finish the season...It is not maybe a truth reason, but.....
Good, why waste our money on him? So he can go out there and do absolutely nothing night in and night out?

TheGreatone94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 01:08 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by francky89 View Post
Do you feel Jacques deserves his bonus money after failing to put up a point in over 40 games?

04-01-2007, 02:02 PM
Sethis

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php3?pid=2765

This is my favorite comparison for the 'Crazy Train'. He's never going to stand out, he's not going to be a catalyst. He needs to learn to use his great tools in an absolute complementary role imo. Hell, if he does just that (Be the man in front of the net, the first man back to the zone, the guy who covers the point, etc.) he could parlay it into a couple of 20 goal seasons somewhere down the line.

Note: The 59 and 65 point seasons came on lines with Thornton and Forsberg, and should be seen as statistical anomolies imo.

Sethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 06:01 PM
iceman_88888888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
He needs to learn to use his great tools in an absolute complementary role imo.
i have to absolutely agree. jacques will never be the top flight power forward every team wants to have. he does have the speed and some skill but right now, he appears to be like brad isbister was when he was here: no hustle, no heart, no effort.
but i wonder how much of his inability is due to the system that he has to play. he was great in the A because, if i remember a few situations correctly, he was allowed to run around a little and had the freedom to go hit guys that weren't along his side of the boards. now, he's got to be responsible for his side of the ice, he's got to be back to play the trap and running up and hitting guys would leave him out of position (earning him a nice warm seat on the bench). on the O, he's got to stay in his lane and floating to get open isn't an option that is coached by mact or simpson. it's hard to get a shot when you've got a d-man draped on you and the options you're given from your team's system is very limited.
overall, he needs a little more time to figure out what to do (some guy said he doesn't think the game very well and i agree) and how to use the tools he has. he'll get opportunities in the future.

iceman_88888888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 07:41 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
I wonder if that is why he gets so many Moreau comprisons. Moreau is not a great shooter and is not great at handling the puck but somehow he gets the job done.
At least Ethan can fire a slapper (remember he's a 20-goal man) and he's a good-enough technical skater.

I wanna like Jacques because he can really hit and at least he's better than Brad Winchbister but man...the guy has just STUNK.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote