HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All Things Beaulieu Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-17-2014, 09:17 AM
bsl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Or you could look that stuff up yourself. Get your own beer man.
Actually, LG do me a favour and pick me up a 2-4? Courier to Hong Kong: BSL. Thanks man.

Old
05-17-2014, 09:24 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac View Post
I totally agree with you there, to tell the truth. No joke, you're right.

I was trying to present an 'eye test' type argument that would get to Southernhab.

And my point still stand: knowledge is always better than ignorance when it comes to decision making.
And you are absolutely right. At the very least these stats might catch something you otherwise miss with your eyes. Teams who are stronger in those possession stats tend to be more successful than those who aren't. So why the hell wouldn't you want to at least have the stats handy when breaking down how your team is playing?

Phil Esposito has his own show on the NHL network and talks about these stats with real disdain. He's old school and to him these stats offer no value whatsoever. Personally, I don't get why he'd be so threatened by them. Maybe he believes that people think that stats ALONE will determine who's a good hockey player and who isn't... A feeling that maybe people will make lineups based on spreadsheets. That's not the case.

I've had debates on Scott Gomez in the past about him being a poor player. His Corsi suggested he'd be a more productive player than he was but that production never came. To me, it was a classic example of relying on one stat and extrapolating the wrong conclusion. You can't just look at one stat and then know everything about a player. And with hockey being a fluid game the eye test will always come into play.

When you look at a player and his stats are terrible across the board and you still think he's good? Those stats are probably telling you something that you don't see.

Old
05-17-2014, 09:24 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I didn't like how Nathan didn't play a lot in the third. Again I know he's a rookie but he didn't need to be protected, he didn't make any mistakes. Close-minded stuff from JJ and Therrien again.
I dunno, I thought they played him perfectly. He even said after the game how nervous he was. It was literally THE biggest pressure situation you could put a rookie in. We got the job done, didn't we? I thought we played pretty well. Sure we might have been a little less tired, but at that point, the vets had that.

Now, clean sheet series -- i expect him to be used a LOT. My only worry is his coverage. It takes time to know what your partner (and 3 other skaters) are going to do. Playing with the team enough and hardwiring their tendencies is important. I've seen soooo many blown coverages these playoffs and it's not about a D-man's vision, it's about how well they know their teammates/decisions they make.

Here's hoping Nate has one hell of a series. Such a weapon and we need him as much as we need everyone else to do their respective jobs. Imagine wave after wave of PK/Markov/Beaulieu...it'll wear them down.

Old
05-17-2014, 09:29 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
I dunno, I thought they played him perfectly. He even said after the game how nervous he was. It was literally THE biggest pressure situation you could put a rookie in. We got the job done, didn't we? I thought we played pretty well. Sure we might have been a little less tired, but at that point, the vets had that.

Now, clean sheet series -- i expect him to be used a LOT. My only worry is his coverage. It takes time to know what your partner (and 3 other skaters) are going to do. Playing with the team enough and hardwiring their tendencies is important. I've seen soooo many blown coverages these playoffs and it's not about a D-man's vision, it's about how well they know their teammates/decisions they make.

Here's hoping Nate has one hell of a series. Such a weapon and we need him as much as we need everyone else to do their respective jobs. Imagine wave after wave of PK/Markov/Beaulieu...it'll wear them down.
My big concern was that we'd fall into the same trap as the Leafs did. Carlyle basically gassed Phaneuf in the last 10 mins of the game. He benched Gardiner (who'd befuddled the Bruins for most of the series) and played only the vets. I remember after the game people giving it to Dion because he showed no effort at the end - it wasn't a question of effort - the guy was just absolutely gassed.

Anyways we won so wtf cares?

Old
05-17-2014, 09:44 AM
MoldyCakes
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
My big concern was that we'd fall into the same trap as the Leafs did. Carlyle basically gassed Phaneuf in the last 10 mins of the game. He benched Gardiner (who'd befuddled the Bruins for most of the series) and played only the vets. I remember after the game people giving it to Dion because he showed no effort at the end - it wasn't a question of effort - the guy was just absolutely gassed.

Anyways we won so wtf cares?
Thankfully, we were still able to rotate 5 guys instead relying on just the big first pairing Dmen.

Old
06-30-2014, 10:52 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Аrpon Basu ‏@ArponBasu 40m

Spoke with Gerard Gallant in Philly and he felt Nathan Beaulieu would be full time on #Habs D next season. Does that make Gorges expendable?

Old
06-30-2014, 10:59 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post

Spoke with Gerard Gallant in Philly and he felt Nathan Beaulieu would be full time on #Habs D next season. Does that make Gorges expendable?
Beaulieu will graduate. The kid is just too good.

Old
06-30-2014, 11:00 AM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Beaulieu will graduate. The kid is just too good.
Should have been playing last season, but better late than never, I suppose.

Old
06-30-2014, 11:03 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post

Thinking of young players who graduated to the Habs under him, Bergevin never made any roster players expendable to make room for them, to my recollection (Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Bournival). If anything Bergevin has shown he loves depth. So not impossible but not really his MO either.

Old
06-30-2014, 11:06 AM
Gally11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Thinking of young players who graduated to the Habs under him, Bergevin never made any roster players expendable to make room for them, to my recollection (Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Bournival). If anything Bergevin has shown he loves depth. So not impossible but not really his MO either.
Well when he bought out Gomez he said it was to make room for youth

Old
06-30-2014, 03:45 PM
Tyson

Both Tinordi and NB are full time Habs next season, they are ready.

Old
12-08-2014, 04:54 PM
Richiebottles
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
The All Things Beaulieu Thread

Via the Bulldogs Facebook.

Old
12-08-2014, 04:55 PM
Habs100

why did they wait so long? can he make it to the game in time if Allen can't go?

Old
12-08-2014, 04:56 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Nice. Let's hope he gets an opportunity to stay up and that he plays well.

Old
12-08-2014, 04:56 PM
DAChampion

When does his waiver eligibility run out?

Old
12-08-2014, 04:57 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Next year

Old
12-08-2014, 04:58 PM
FrappeDuRocma

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Next year.

Old
12-08-2014, 04:59 PM
Erik Estrada

I'm just ready to settle for any D that's played pro hockey not called Allen as a full time gig. Beaulieu is fine. I know some prefer Tinordi.

Last edited by Erik Estrada: 12-08-2014 at 05:05 PM.
Old
12-08-2014, 05:00 PM
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin

To replace Weaver who will be brought along slowly (as he is terrible). Let's hope Allen continue his... stellar play and forces Therrien's hand.

Old
12-08-2014, 05:00 PM
BigHabs

Weaver I think will be gone 3 weeks to a month if the concussion thing is true. I think this is the best time for Beaulieu to show his worth afun stick with the big club. If he doesn't I can see him wanting out basically a Morin situation in Chicago.

Old
12-08-2014, 05:02 PM
MXD

Wait....

79-76
28-55
74-77

Is that it?

Old
12-08-2014, 05:03 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Funny though, two years ago, Tinordi was a starter in the playoffs. Last year, it was Beaulieu. Now they're both not sure to have a permanent spot with the Habs.

Old
12-08-2014, 05:27 PM
vfactor

At which point playing a lot of minutes at AHL level won't bring you more than learning in NHL games. The game at NHL is a different beast, the difference is quite big compare to AHL. They both showed that they're ready to be in NHL. It's up to the coach to manage them and give them the best chance to learn and progress. We're not winning this year, probably next year will be similar. Why go into winning first, second and third mode instead of accepting the small price to pay to give these twos the valuable time they need to have to hit their prime once the real cup windows opportunity arrives.

Do they really that risky to play? Unless I can't see the game as M. Therrien and M. Bergevin, I don't see them as inferior to Gilbert, Weaver and even Emelin.

Old
12-08-2014, 05:29 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Wait....

79-76
28-55
74-77

Is that it?
Probably Emelin-Gonchar and Beaulieu-Gilbert

Old
12-08-2014, 05:38 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
I'm just ready to settle for any D that's played pro hockey not called Allen as a full time gig. Beaulieu is fine. I know some prefer Tinordi.
Definitely. Allen is awful. He's basically Murray without the huge hits.

I'll take both Tinordi and Beaulieu over him. Hell.. I'd rather have Bouillon over Allen.

All that being said, still think it was a good trade. We need the cap space for next season. Let's get Galchenyuk inked LONG term.

Closed Thread