HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

When do you feel like the season was lost?

Old
04-01-2007, 04:57 AM
HuMz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
The day they were forced to trade Pronger.

Game over.
Was just going to say the same thing...while they had a decent early start and led the division, there was a awefull lot of games that they deserved to lose if it wasn't for Rollie, that killer instinct to win was never really there.

HuMz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 11:06 AM
Oi'll say!

I thought that the Oil started out the season on very thin ice with their defence and that even if the two rookies every night scenario worked for them initially, eventually injuries to the veteran d-men would seal their fate. Even if they stayed healthy, anyone who dreamed of another Cup run with two rookies in the lineup and Smith as our best defensive defenseman was delusional.

This isn't a 20-20 hindsight post, I made several posts and threads pertaining to this exact issue before the season started.

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 11:09 AM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
When we were up 4-1 against Dallas and lost 6-5 in the SO.

Hemsky made the miracle play to salvage a point, but blowing a 4-1 lead to a Dallas team that was decimated by injuries was when this team lost me.

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 12:18 PM
vb

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-townchamps View Post
December 28th, 2006 was the day the Oilers were toast

those Colorado games earlier really pissed me off but losing to the lowly Kings by blowing a 4-2 lead put me over the edge...it was the start of a horrendous end of 2006
Completely agreed, this was a game they should have won easily based on effort but made too many mistakes (just like every other loss this year). The mini-slide over Christmas along with the other teams getting hot were the difference this year.

vb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 12:21 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

For me, it's when they went 4-9 in December, before that they had a shot, but they could recover from going under .500 that month.

Though it stems from Pronger and the hole he put the team in being a coward.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 05:30 PM
guzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pouzar View Post
Last half of December: it became clear that Lowe was either having trouble getting a defenceman or didn't want to (to my amazement, this lasted all season) and the Oilers started to show their true colours, culminating in that horrendous New Year's Eve stinkfest against Calgary.
I have to agree Pouzar. Edmonton came out of the gate very strong this year but in late December teams were taking advantage of the young defence. The oilers always seemed to be playing on their heals. The new years stinkfest was a terrible game. Edmonton didn't seem to want it. That is the night I realized Edmonton wouldn't make the playoffs. With that being said I didn't think Vancouver would make it let alone win the division.

guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 05:32 PM
OntOilFan

I think the Magoo blown call was monumental.

It would have capped an amazing comeback against a team that has always haunted us and been a huge morale boost.

I don't think this team recovered after that.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 05:44 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

The minute that Rob Schremp was cut from the team and sent to the AHL.

04-01-2007, 10:06 PM
Perfect_Drug

I hate to say they were winning at the start of the season by fluke, but it seemed that the start of the season had a LOT to do with lucky bounces, and winning many games we had no business winning.

We were winning incoherently, and showed that we were not a consistant team. As a whole, we weren't talented enough to win without a LOT of hard work and sacrifice (which was once the staple of this club).

I think with Moreau injury, the team lost a lot of its blue-collar work ethic, and started trying to win on talent alone. All the things that gave the OILERS their identity, all the trademarks of their cup run, were lost.

- No one will argue that When Torres is hitting, he is a dominanting force.
- No one could argue Horcoff wasn't a true #1 centre when he was outhustling, outworking, and outscoring the opposing top lines.
- No one would argue that Pisani's shot in the playoffs was a thing of beauty.

The remaining players from that cup run seemed to be extremely burned out, rather than playing like they had something to prove (with the exception of Smyth).

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 10:12 PM
Lowe in Oil

The day that Mcgeough screwed us over was the beginning of the end.

Lowe in Oil is offline   Reply With Quote