HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Isbister needs to stay!

Old
04-01-2007, 10:08 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Isbister needs to stay!

At least untill Hossa can retake his place on Jagrs opposite wing. Isibi adds a much needed dimension to both that line and this team. He's tough and he hustles.

When Hossa comes back......

well one game at a time

04-01-2007, 10:11 PM
Balej20*

So when Hossa comes back, which two of these sits?

Callahan?
Orr?
Hollweg?

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 10:17 PM
StartLundqvist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post

Callahan?
Orr?
Hollweg?
If those are the 3 choices then Orr.

StartLundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 10:20 PM
BigE

I agree that he should stay on that top line for the duration of Hossa's injury. It's clear that Jagr likes having a big man on his line to take the physical, corner pressure off of himself. However, after Hossa returns I'm not sure Isbister adds anything to any of our other lines.

He'll be a scratch in my books.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 10:21 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
At least untill Hossa can retake his place on Jagrs opposite wing.
I agree.

I don't think you'll see Orr dress in the playoffs.

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 10:21 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:

Callahan?
Orr?
Hollweg?
I don't envy Renny having to make that decsion.

You have to play Hossa to see if he returns where he left off , a monster on the puck, on the boards and unlike Isbi, Orr, Hollweg, Marcel can score. He'll also make plays on his own. Maybe we won't need Orrs talents against every opponent in the playoffs.

You know , sometimes fate makes these choices for us.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 10:22 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:

Callahan?
Orr?
Hollweg?

Orr and Hollweg. Orr's value goes down in the playoffs, while Hollweg's a candidate for the Dom Moore treatment this off-season.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 10:23 PM
nickrOck

outside of his play in the corners he brings nothing to this team.. i'm not a fan of him taking up a roster spot on this team beyond hossa coming back.. orr and hollweg both provide more of what this team needs compared to isbister.. hossa plays the same role as isbister with alot more offensive upside..

nickrOck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 10:24 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Orr and Hollweg. Orr's value goes down in the playoffs, while Hollweg's a candidate for the Dom Moore treatment this off-season.
I REALLY wish Hollywood could score some goals. I Love his energy and hustle. **** the only goal he's got Jagr wrapped for him

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 10:38 PM
frozenrubber

Isbister's best games come after sitting in the pressbox/being a scratch.

He was very good in the "Hossa" power forward/cycle position today, but in his earlier topline duty, he was unable to hold the same success after 2-3 straight games.

Isbister's problem has always been matching similar performances game in and out.

Until a suitable replacement is healthy, Renney must lean on Isbister very hard in practice and not hesitate to scratch him. When he's fighting for a spot, he's been the most successful.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 11:45 PM
Thor God of Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I agree. Hollweg has the hustle and the heart, but it's not really enough to help elevate the team. Lately I've been thinking that he really just doesn't do anything. I like the guy, I really do, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him go in the off-season.

Thor God of Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 01:56 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor God of Thunder View Post
I agree. Hollweg has the hustle and the heart, but it's not really enough to help elevate the team. Lately I've been thinking that he really just doesn't do anything. I like the guy, I really do, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him go in the off-season.

Byers should replace him on the Rangers next year. He has more skill size and over 207 pim 18 goals and 26 assist and +5

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 05:23 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
At least untill Hossa can retake his place on Jagrs opposite wing. Isibi adds a much needed dimension to both that line and this team. He's tough and he hustles.
Larry Brooks remarks in the Post this morning that Isbister is the only player in the history of the NHL who only will play on his teams 1st line, or not play at all.

IMO thats just proof of how stuck allot of people in the game are to the old ways of the NHL, the two scoring and two checking line structure. Where the 6 best players goes out and plays like they feel, and the 6 worst players goes out and just trys to be destuctive.

By far the most important thing in the game today is to have units that works, that can play together in the system, achive what the team wants to achive all over the ice.

It doesn't matter if you got:
Tanguay-Forsberg-Hejduk
Kariya-Sakic-Sellane

if thoose 6 can't play together all over the ice, if they don't compliment each others -- you won't get any results.

Isbister have been a constant factor with Nyls and JJ. He have won the battles in the corner, he have always made simple plays with the puck meaning that he is easy to read for nyls and jj, he is strong defensivly, wins allot of battles in his own end.

And while Isbister himself might not have earned all that much praise, he have been a good fit with Nyls and JJ. Thats whats important to a coach, not to reward every player on the team with ice time according exactly how each player have played, like so many people seems to think....

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 07:11 AM
eco's bones

Isbister's making a case for himself but I'm not sure he's coming back next year--we have to make room for guys younger than he (30 next year). One thing with Hollweg in the lineup--you know your 4th line is going to come with a hard forecheck. He can skate--he can get to the puck carrier and he can be very disruptive to the other teams breakouts--in his own end he's not quite as good. Byers I think is going to spend at least another year in the AHL. Korpikoski would be more my idea for a player who might replace Hollweg next season (if that happens). Lauri doesn't fight but he has much more skill and has an energetic and physical game.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 07:53 AM
Fletch

I'm pretty much...

in disagreement on Isbister with the rest of the board. Jagr's playing hard and skating again - that's why the line's doing well. Jagr and others say Isbister creates room for them, but it's Jagr still creating room for Isbister. On Nylander's goal yesterday much was made of Isbister using his body, etc...little was made of the fact that (I believe at least) it was Boyd Devereaux who was covering Isbister, and not the defenseman who was chasing him and that Boyd made little contact, if any, with Isbister. Even with Nylander coming around the defensemen stayed put and seemed to be more concerned with Jagr than anyone else, which opened up the ice for both Isbister and Nylander.

Remember the success Jagr had with Prucha, a player who doesn't provide that dimension that Ibister brings? If Jagr's healthy and motivated, you can put a player with most any kind of style; grit, skill, etc. on his line and be successful. I don't break up this line immediately if Jagr's successful on it, but I don't start calling for Isbister to be signed next season either. He still has about 5 points in 15 games, one goal I believe; this is for a top liner.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 07:55 AM
Fletch

AHall...

I think Byers has another year in Hartford left. And with Dubi, Korps, Dawes, and Callahan being forwards who may be ready for a jump, there's likely not much room for a Byers, who still has some developing as he was quite inconsistent this season and really needs to bring his physical game to the rink more often.

Old
04-02-2007, 07:56 AM
wereback

I think Hollweg is the perfect player for the playoffs....skates hard and always hits...remember the playoffs have some unexpected heros.....

wereback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 08:13 AM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor God of Thunder View Post
Same here, He'll probably be in Hartford.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 08:21 AM
Fletch

I'd actually give Hollweg another shot...

He seemed to improve this season over last season despite not putting up points. He hit more, he seemed to take less unneccessary penalties and his defense was better. Maybe he can put it all together next season. But of course, it'll be dependent on the competition and if a guy like Korps stakes a claim, and if Renney wants to play a guy like that 5-6 minutes per game; he was back and forth with that issue this season.

Old
04-02-2007, 08:25 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I think this is very healthy for the team though. Very.

Isbister has added something to this team, i never thought he would have the impact he would, but having that big body on the first line really does help distribute the rest of the talent on the team well.

But like i said this is a tough decsion to make with who to sit but a very good problem to have going into the playoffs. The playoffs are a game to game thing, each one becoming a separate entity. YOu can rotate guys in and out. A guy sits and hes iching to play that next game - if he gets in hes only gonna play harder to show he deserves to stay. You need that healthy competition in the playoffs. It only helps things.

Im liking the way this is all setting up going in, they just gotta keep everything simple and sharp and not worry too much about the lineup. If everyone does their job theyll be tough to beat.

HockeyBasedNYC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 08:33 AM
schmieder44

I agree once Hossa returns Isbister sits. Either that or he moves to the 4th line as more of a checking role in place of Orr for the playoffs. Orr just doesnt skate well enough to be a major disruption on the forecheck. Playoffs he should sit for most games.

schmieder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 08:37 AM
94now

Brad who?.. Well, some people were assuring this was a strictly AHL move when Slats got him.. Not so fast... I am positive Carolina would've had a much better chance to be in playoffs should they keep him. By same token we would have had a lesser chance to be where we are without him. True, some guys simply cannot put it all together without help form the premium players, but not everyone can be successful on 1st with Jarg. Isbo could be nothing on the bottom six, but so was Hossa. Kudos to coaches for figuring it out. Hockey is a team game.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 08:39 AM
philbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I agree.

I don't think you'll see Orr dress in the playoffs.
I agree as well, Orr's services will only be needed for the regular season. But he has taken a step forward this season.

But once Hossa returns, there is no spot in the lineup for Izzy, so Orr and Izzy IMO would be the "black aces"

Last edited by philbo: 04-02-2007 at 08:41 AM. Reason: spelling
philbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 08:52 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbo View Post
I agree as well, Orr's services will only be needed for the regular season. But he has taken a step forward this season.
Orr will be there. He clicks with Betts and Holy very well. He is useful w/o fighting. It is not a good time to break up this line.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 09:00 AM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
The thing we have to remember is that one of Hollweg and Orr is already going to have to sit if both Ortmeyer and Callahan are playing. If we keep Isbister in the lineup, then both have to sit and the 4th line will likely be Isbister-Betts-Ortmeyer.

Is that bad? I don't know. If the 4th line isn't going to get a lot of even strength time, then it makes sense to load it up with PKers. But it's hard to change what's working.

Kodiak is offline   Reply With Quote