HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

2014 CBJ Offseason Thread II (All proposals, "blog" rumors, speculation in here)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-30-2014, 10:17 AM
  #976
tonyg035
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 14
vCash: 500
With Commodores buyout running out after the year is done, at least that will cover a good amount of Boll s contract for the next couple if years. As for the roster spot, scratch - enforcers are done replaced by pests and power forwards.

Hopefully within the next couple of day s Joey s contract will be sorted so we can get our depth in order. I love d Mac s hustle but I think that Letestu can keep the glue in the 4 th line going so if Mac goes I m not seeing a huge loss. I like Skille for depth but I also think other teams are eyeing him for the same reason but we got Tropp to cover. We can catch a fourth line free agent or bring up Chaput or hjalmarsson.

would love to see Dubi get an extension mid season, ha if not just for more post loss pissed off interviews. I'm with the side who thinks this guy should be captain especially if they want to try to keep selling the jackets as a blue collar team. No trade for arty, but trade for upgrade on cam only for an upgrade. Next year we are gonna be spending the load.

And please god have Horton be healthy for a year

tonyg035 is offline  
Old
06-30-2014, 04:09 PM
  #977
WhatASaveDave
Registered User
 
WhatASaveDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: toronto ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,712
vCash: 500
Did Matt Frattin end up being qualified

WhatASaveDave is offline  
Old
06-30-2014, 04:10 PM
  #978
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby
 
Samkow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Columbus
Country: Colombia
Posts: 13,494
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatASaveDave View Post
Did Matt Frattin end up being qualified
Yes.

__________________
Truth should never get in the way of a good persecution complex.
Samkow is offline  
Old
06-30-2014, 04:47 PM
  #979
thebus2288
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 578
vCash: 500
Any interest in Volchenkov, Gleason or O'Brien? I think we could use another defense 1st guy.

thebus2288 is offline  
Old
06-30-2014, 04:49 PM
  #980
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky
 
CBJBrassard16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 12,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebus2288 View Post
Any interest in Volchenkov, Gleason or O'Brien? I think we could use another defense 1st guy.
Every single one of them are old, and can't skate. Volchenkov was only good for blocking shots and O'Brien is just a party boy. No thanks

CBJBrassard16 is offline  
Old
06-30-2014, 05:36 PM
  #981
BluejacketNut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,828
vCash: 500
I just hope we dont lose MacKenzie over a small amount while Boll takes up that much. I'd take Mac over Boll every day of the week.

BluejacketNut is offline  
Old
06-30-2014, 05:47 PM
  #982
cbjfaninmo
I know nut-ting
 
cbjfaninmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lake Ozark, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 665
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Every single one of them are old, and can't skate. Volchenkov was only good for blocking shots and O'Brien is just a party boy. No thanks
Agree. We certainly don't need to do any dumpster diving.

cbjfaninmo is offline  
Old
06-30-2014, 08:25 PM
  #983
thebus2288
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 578
vCash: 500
Ok what bad things do you guys have to say about Gleason? He's the best out of the 3. There's going to be injuries and "bad play" during the year. I'd be ok with Gleason or Volchenkov as a 5-7. 2-2.5 million for a year or two.

thebus2288 is offline  
Old
06-30-2014, 08:29 PM
  #984
WannabeFinn
Registered User
 
WannabeFinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Columbus
Country: Finland
Posts: 223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebus2288 View Post
Ok what bad things do you guys have to say about Gleason? He's the best out of the 3. There's going to be injuries and "bad play" during the year. I'd be ok with Gleason or Volchenkov as a 5-7. 2-2.5 million for a year or two.
Yeah, let's sign those guys and tell Erixon+Prout+Goloubef to go walk off a cliff

WannabeFinn is online now  
Old
06-30-2014, 08:29 PM
  #985
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey
 
Fro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Drinking With Carts
Country: United States
Posts: 13,859
vCash: 500
Gleason...meh...but no to Volch...watched him enough...he's awful...

Fro is offline  
Old
06-30-2014, 08:50 PM
  #986
Double-Shift Lassť
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassť's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Superurban Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 17,504
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebus2288 View Post
Ok what bad things do you guys have to say about Gleason? He's the best out of the 3. There's going to be injuries and "bad play" during the year. I'd be ok with Gleason or Volchenkov as a 5-7. 2-2.5 million for a year or two.
I like the idea of a vet d-man, but nobody liked my idea of a 7th round pick for Roszival - who doesn't specifically meet your d-first criteria, but still.

__________________
"Every game, every point is a necessity." -- Ty Conklin, January 2007
"I'll have a chance to compete for the post of first issue. This is the most important thing." -- Sergei Bobrovsky, June 2012
Double-Shift Lassť is offline  
Old
06-30-2014, 08:51 PM
  #987
Kev22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Plain City, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 3,302
vCash: 500
Tomorrow sounds like it's not going to be much fun. I'm hoping all the signals that Jarmo is going to sit on his hands are wrong. I'm crossing my fingers that there will be a surprise of some sort.

Kev22 is offline  
Old
06-30-2014, 08:57 PM
  #988
RDriesenUD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,902
vCash: 500
What exactly can we do? Even better, what do we have to do? We really have open spots. We already have enough players on big contracts. All you get in FA are guys who get overpaid (term or money). I really hope we don't do anything. Last thing we need to do is to overpay for some older player and play him over one of our young players who is better. There are very few players I would want us to even think aobut trying to sign.

RDriesenUD is offline  
Old
06-30-2014, 09:00 PM
  #989
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky
 
CBJBrassard16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 12,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev22 View Post
Tomorrow sounds like it's not going to be much fun. I'm hoping all the signals that Jarmo is going to sit on his hands are wrong. I'm crossing my fingers that there will be a surprise of some sort.
Yeah tomorrows going to be a day where we sit here with our hands on our chins bored and wondering what we're doing..

But its for the best. Hopefully we can re-sign MacKenzie and I can call it an offseason (After the RFA signings of course)

CBJBrassard16 is offline  
Old
06-30-2014, 09:06 PM
  #990
Kev22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Plain City, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 3,302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
What exactly can we do? Even better, what do we have to do? We really have open spots. We already have enough players on big contracts. All you get in FA are guys who get overpaid (term or money). I really hope we don't do anything. Last thing we need to do is to overpay for some older player and play him over one of our young players who is better. There are very few players I would want us to even think aobut trying to sign.
If more of the kids were ready to step in and play, I'd be along the same lines of thinking. They may be in a year or two, but we need players that will keep us a playoff team. Hartnell will help, but I still think we need another piece. I'm not saying we need to break the bank, but there will be some quality players out there that would boost this club.

Kev22 is offline  
Old
06-30-2014, 09:21 PM
  #991
RDriesenUD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,902
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev22 View Post
If more of the kids were ready to step in and play, I'd be along the same lines of thinking. They may be in a year or two, but we need players that will keep us a playoff team. Hartnell will help, but I still think we need another piece. I'm not saying we need to break the bank, but there will be some quality players out there that would boost this club.
We were a playoff team this year. We will hopefully get a full year from Horton. We have Hartnell. Hopefully, the young guys (Murray, Johansen, Savard, etc....) keep improving. Not sure why we have to do something to be a playoff team. We were a playoff team this year and are already a better team if you ask me. So, do you think the teams behind us are going to improve that much? Who out there would you sign that would be better than who we already have?

RDriesenUD is offline  
Old
06-30-2014, 09:32 PM
  #992
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,277
vCash: 500
Unless we're gonna go with a big-timer at right wing, I'd rather we go to battle with the guys we have.


Last edited by leesmith: 06-30-2014 at 09:45 PM.
leesmith is online now  
Old
06-30-2014, 09:34 PM
  #993
slightlystewpid420
Registered User
 
slightlystewpid420's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
We were a playoff team this year. We will hopefully get a full year from Horton. We have Hartnell. Hopefully, the young guys (Murray, Johansen, Savard, etc....) keep improving. Not sure why we have to do something to be a playoff team. We were a playoff team this year and are already a better team if you ask me. So, do you think the teams behind us are going to improve that much? Who out there would you sign that would be better than who we already have?
Exactly. We were a playoff team without Horton, now we should get a full year of him and a upgrade on Umberger.

slightlystewpid420 is offline  
Old
06-30-2014, 09:45 PM
  #994
Kev22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Plain City, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 3,302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
We were a playoff team this year. We will hopefully get a full year from Horton. We have Hartnell. Hopefully, the young guys (Murray, Johansen, Savard, etc....) keep improving. Not sure why we have to do something to be a playoff team. We were a playoff team this year and are already a better team if you ask me. So, do you think the teams behind us are going to improve that much? Who out there would you sign that would be better than who we already have?
I don't want to be just a playoff team, it's time move forward, win a round or two or I don't know become a contender. I said in my other post that I want moves that will help keep us a playoff team. Hartnell was a good step, but I still think we need a second line RW. Vrbata has been brought up here, he would be a pretty reasonable signing that would improve this club. You mentioned that "hopefully the young guys keep improving" but do perennial playoff teams rely on these types of statements? I'm not saying out with the young and in with the old, I'm just saying we need to find a good blend until the prospects play their way into the lineup.

Kev22 is offline  
Old
06-30-2014, 09:48 PM
  #995
WannabeFinn
Registered User
 
WannabeFinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Columbus
Country: Finland
Posts: 223
vCash: 500
So.. who plays 2nd line RW, assuming we do nothing in FA? Atkinson? Or do we try and bump Foligno over and have the lines going something like this

Jenner/Joey/Horton
Hartnell/Anisimov/Foligno
Calvert/Dubinsky/Atkinson
DMac/Letestu/?

WannabeFinn is online now  
Old
06-30-2014, 10:01 PM
  #996
EDM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,887
vCash: 500
That pretty much covers it.

EDM is offline  
Old
06-30-2014, 10:27 PM
  #997
Sore Loser
Since 2009
 
Sore Loser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 5,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeFinn View Post
So.. who plays 2nd line RW, assuming we do nothing in FA? Atkinson? Or do we try and bump Foligno over and have the lines going something like this

Jenner/Joey/Horton
Hartnell/Anisimov/Foligno
Calvert/Dubinsky/Atkinson
DMac/Letestu/?
I see nothing wrong with that group of forwards. Gritty, can score, and all are reliable in both ends. You want to win games? Ice a lineup that has three lines that can match up against any line in the league. That lineup does it.

Even if we don't sign one of the big names tomorrow - which, face it guys, is going to be a stretch - we're fine. The only thing we should really be concerned about are major injuries.

Sore Loser is offline  
Old
06-30-2014, 10:35 PM
  #998
Kev22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Plain City, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 3,302
vCash: 500
Another name I'll throw out is Leo Komarov. He played for Jarmo at the Olympics, he's a third line RW. I'm guessing, not much would be need to make a signing like that. It would bump Atkinson up to the second line. That would make really four tough, gritty lines that would make us tough to play against. There's not a ton of skill there, but a lot of hard work and toughness.

Kev22 is offline  
Old
06-30-2014, 10:55 PM
  #999
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky
 
CBJBrassard16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 12,712
vCash: 500
Going into tomorrow, factoring out all UFA's (MacKenzie, Schultz, Comeau, Skille) and keeping all RFA's. Here would be my lineup

Jenner - Joey - Horton
Hartnell - Anisimov - Atkinson
Calvert - Dubinsky - Foligno
Hjalmarsson - Letestu - Boll
Tropp, Frattin

JJ - Savard
Murray - Wisniewski
Tyutin - Prout
Erixon

Bob
McE

Having a hard time keeping Wennberg off the roster. I still think he's going to make it hard on management to send him down. Anyway, that's a pretty solid group with some depth. I just hope we keep MacKenzie still

CBJBrassard16 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.