HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Paul Mara

Old
04-02-2007, 11:40 AM
Chelios

vCash: 500
Paul Mara

Hello there guys, I`m just wondering how Paul Mara has been for you guys. He seems to be playing alot of minutes, which must be a good sign. I remember when that deal went through I was thinking "What the hell is Boston thinking?". To me, he has always been a much better defenseman than Aaron Ward, but I admit I haven`t seen a whole lot of him.

Chelios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 11:44 AM
ruckus*

I'd say he's been much better than Ward for us. I don't notice him nearly as much as Aaron because he doesn't seem to turn the puck over in his own zone all the time or fail miserably at winning a lose puck battle in the corners. He also HITS THE NET with his shot and can score goals with a nice shot from the point. What a steal this trade was. Props to Glenny boy for this one.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 11:48 AM
Levitate

Yeah, while he's not exactly lighting up the lamp, he's playing pretty solid D and moves the puck well. His pinches have been well timed too.

So far I like him. If he keeps it up, I wouldn't mind seeing him signed for another couple of years

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 11:57 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
He's been pretty sound defensively and has thrown some monstrous hits. I like how he moves the puck around, and his shot from the point is arguably the best on our team. He's definitely played better than Ward did for us.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 12:11 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

dude like you said, what was boston thinking. I think he was being used in the wrong system and gels better with these guys. But still

Mara > Ward.

I love it when he shots from the blueline

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 12:12 PM
in the hall

he's probably been our most steady defenseman since joining the team

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 01:17 PM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
he's probably been our most steady defenseman since joining the team
We can't forget Danny boy. But I love Mara as of late. He's got a great shot and has no problem just blasting the puck at the net. He's also a decently physical player with good size who isn't afraid to bump you. Definitely agreat trade, not only because he is better than Ward (on this team), I just hate Ward. He's a whiner, not to rob a line from Sean...

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 01:19 PM
lotus

he's been good but you can't expect too much from him. In a 5th or 6th defensemen role, he's a gem. In a 4-5 he's pretty much in place and at his limits.

I like him though....if only he didn't look quite so much like Ward.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 01:26 PM
bogans

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus View Post
he's been good but you can't expect too much from him. In a 5th or 6th defensemen role, he's a gem. In a 4-5 he's pretty much in place and at his limits.

Disagree completely, I feel like this kid has the ability to be at least a 2nd pairing if not top pairing, I mean he is only 27 years old and has had a fifty point season on a terrible team already in this league. He is definitely not the best guy in the league, but he is solid. I think since he was traded for, he has been our best D-man, and this is considering our defense has shored up since that point.

bogans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 01:34 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelios View Post
Hello there guys, I`m just wondering how Paul Mara has been for you guys. He seems to be playing alot of minutes, which must be a good sign. I remember when that deal went through I was thinking "What the hell is Boston thinking?". To me, he has always been a much better defenseman than Aaron Ward, but I admit I haven`t seen a whole lot of him.
He has played well for us, but he is also a really good fit here.

Renney got our D's moving the puck allot, right up there with Detroit and Buffalo, and allot more then what Lewis wants his team to do in Boston.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 01:36 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus View Post

If you haven't noticed the last few games, Mara has led the entire team in minutes played (26 vs. PHI and 22 vs. TOR).

And while playing in Boston, he played significant time w/ Chara on the first pair.

While automatically pencilling him on the top pair is a bit of a reach, he is a solid #3 and while playing puck moving, but still physical game, doesn't fall out of the top four on pretty much any squad in the NHL.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 02:39 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post
We can't forget Danny boy. But I love Mara as of late. He's got a great shot and has no problem just blasting the puck at the net. He's also a decently physical player with good size who isn't afraid to bump you. Definitely agreat trade, not only because he is better than Ward (on this team), I just hate Ward. He's a whiner, not to rob a line from Sean...
I didn't forget Girardi. Mara has been our most steady defenseman since he joined the team. In addition to that Mara has been much more physical and has been more productive. I think if there's an argument as to who's been our best defenseman the only one that might beat Mara is Roszy but he has his moments which makes it an argument.

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 02:51 PM
NY Ranger86

Mara is a solid Defenseman HOWEVER, you guys ever notice his hesitation into the corners? i think its a sign of being afraid of getting rocked. I mean i know the guys an NHL player, so im not sayin he's a p*ssy but definently obviously hesitant to get hit. Not the TRUE GRITTY NYR I'de like to see....other than that, (which is a big deal to me)....he moves the puck well and basically does his job without any flash. I want Tvutin back.

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 05:39 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
well hes defintely a ranger now as he doesnt shoot the puck on the powerplay and opts to pass the puck off.. but when he shoots he has a rocket of a shott

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 11:55 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Good shot...very solid defense...sticks up for teammates...

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 07:51 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
At Phoenix he was one of the top Dman. He anchored a lousy PP and was probably their main scorer in the man advantage situation.

Can't speak for Boston, but I had Paul Mara in my fantasy team and he did very well.
Rangers play a different PP and dont solely rely on the blast from the blue line for scoring so his numbers will be down, and given that he will not be the Go-to-guy he was for the Coyotes.

he is solid Dman and if he is only a 5 or 6th Ranger Dman that only the better for the team, meaning we should be so lucky!

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 08:02 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
At Phoenix he was one of the top Dman. He anchored a lousy PP and was probably their main scorer in the man advantage situation.

Can't speak for Boston, but I had Paul Mara in my fantasy team and he did very well.
Rangers play a different PP and dont solely rely on the blast from the blue line for scoring so his numbers will be down, and given that he will not be the Go-to-guy he was for the Coyotes.

he is solid Dman and if he is only a 5 or 6th Ranger Dman that only the better for the team, meaning we should be so lucky!

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 08:14 AM
Fletch

lotus...

I believe Mara's been up there, or leading, the team in minutes - so he hasn't been playing a 5/6 role. Thus far, he's been a great top four defenseman. Hopefully the Rangers were exactly what he needed.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 08:57 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Better than I thought

This guy definately surprised me. I was pissed when Ward was sent packing, and really thought Mara was going to make them a weaker team defensively. I knew he had offensive upside, and I knew he could throw hands when the situation calls for it, but I thought Ward was really going to pick up his physical game come down the stretch(like he did in Carolina)

What I wasen't expecting was the booming point shot out of Mara. It was something that is sorely missed here. All in all I think the trade was a wash for both clubs. For the Rangers they might have lost a little bit of that physical element, but gained a PP point man in return. Either way, they were both areas of concern.

The only thing that Mara does worry me about, and someone else already pointed it out, is that it looks like he is hesitant to go into the corners. I totally agree with whoever said that, and I hope that he can elevate his physical game in the near future.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 09:31 AM
NYROrtsFan

Mara has been extremely good. What has been so impressive with him is how good he is in his own zone. He has very good offensive abilities and defensively, he is more than fine back there. Plays a little physical too which is nice to see.

Love his shot though. And even his passing for the most part. But the shot is almost always extremely hard and very low...

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 10:18 AM
ogie

the thing i like most about Mara is he is not afraid to slide into the slot and jump in on offense. Most of our D-Man stay at the blue line and never jump in on O. But Mara is regularly moving up into the play which is a great thing to see.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 11:00 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

The Mara /Ward trade coincided with Dan Girardi coming up and those two thing are a BIG part of the team turning into a much more sound Defensive team.

Only the Devils have a better GA in the Eastern Conference.

Henrik and the D have been very solid since the Mara trade.

Hard to put your finger on it....but you did kind of get the vibe that Ward didnt fit this team well. He is a good player...but not the right piece on this team.

Mara > Ward

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 11:58 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Ranger86 View Post
Mara is a solid Defenseman HOWEVER, you guys ever notice his hesitation into the corners? i think its a sign of being afraid of getting rocked. I mean i know the guys an NHL player, so im not sayin he's a p*ssy but definently obviously hesitant to get hit. Not the TRUE GRITTY NYR I'de like to see....other than that, (which is a big deal to me)....he moves the puck well and basically does his job without any flash. I want Tvutin back.
I don't see that at all.

If anything, he's been our most physical defenseman.

I have to completely disagree with this case, and I actually wonder what you're watching, because we're not seeing the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I believe Mara's been up there, or leading, the team in minutes - so he hasn't been playing a 5/6 role. Thus far, he's been a great top four defenseman. Hopefully the Rangers were exactly what he needed.
Well said.

Now, if we could get him some more PP time, that would be great. His only flaw is that he needs to get his shots off quicker which would lead to more goals/points. Otherwise, he's been nothing but great for us.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 12:21 PM
NYROrtsFan

Wish they'd continue to play him on that 1st powerplay unit.

He does a great job at the point in that he has a bomb for a shot, but he also isnt just a shoot it all the time type of player. He'll look to make the extra pass which i think is good for Jagr and them.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 12:34 PM
lotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
If you haven't noticed the last few games, Mara has led the entire team in minutes played (26 vs. PHI and 22 vs. TOR).

And while playing in Boston, he played significant time w/ Chara on the first pair.

While automatically pencilling him on the top pair is a bit of a reach, he is a solid #3 and while playing puck moving, but still physical game, doesn't fall out of the top four on pretty much any squad in the NHL.

er, mistake in my post. i meant to say in 3-4 he's at his limits. Don't get me wrong, he's a great defensemen but I just don't believe he's a top pair player. Maybe in time yeah but I wasn't talking future. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

But for anyone thinking this guy is going to play number 1 and 2, you must think our farm system is crap. (though I wouldn't mind sliding him in over Malik for now. At least Mara isn't infected with traffic-cone-itis.)

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote