HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Ryan Hollweg responsible for Islanders tank job?

Old
04-02-2007, 03:50 PM
KreiMeARiver
PHI has potential!

vCash: 500
Ryan Hollweg responsible for Islanders tank job?

Ryan Hollweg, by taking that cheap shot, has also taken one for the team! Since Simon nailed him with the stick, the Islanders have been in a free-fall. Imagine if that hit never happened, do you think the Isles would be where they are now in the standings? Or do you think they just ran out of gas?

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 03:52 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Simon was responsible. That is all.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Balej20*

Simon was a huge part of that team, but the DiPietro injury was really the nail in the coffin for the Islanders. If DiPietro doesn't get himself hurt being an idiot, the Islanders are still in this thing.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
i would couple that incident with dp going down

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 03:54 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
i would couple that incident with dp going down
Have to agree. Isles are nothing minus DP.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 04:01 PM
KreiMeARiver
PHI has potential!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Have to agree. Isles are nothing minus DP.
This is very true. DP was the team. The simon hit was the beginning of the end, though.

Old
04-02-2007, 04:05 PM
Fletch

The team...

has no goaltending without a healthy Dipietro. They'd easily be in playoff position if he didn't get a concussion.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 04:10 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Actually, everything went south for the Isles when Yashin returned to the lineup.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 04:13 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
Ryan Hollweg, by taking that cheap shot, has also taken one for the team! Since Simon nailed him with the stick, the Islanders have been in a free-fall. Imagine if that hit never happened, do you think the Isles would be where they are now in the standings? Or do you think they just ran out of gas?
I think it's a combination of that, and thier new mascot Barney..or Sparkey...or whatever!!!

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 04:22 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Actually, there is a bit of truth in all of the responses above.

However, the bottom line is that the Islanders are responsible for their fate.

Just as NYR is responsible for their own fate over the last month.

Isles didn't get it done. NYR has.

And injuries are a fine excuse but they are just that. A fine excuse.

We can all BS for 6+ months of a marathon season, but at the end the standings don't lie. You are either playing post April 8th, playing in the season that means most...or you are one of 14 losers who are not. Black and white. No moral victories here.

And, of course, fans of teams on the outside spend the next several months in a mode of victimization, finger-pointing, scapegoating and blame. Which is why the NYI board is currently an insufferable place to be and one of which I will not be part for the time being.

In the meantime, congratuations to you and your team. This surge has been nothing short of phenomenal. In September, I picked NYR to finish 6th and win at least a round. That prediction holds.

Last edited by Trottier: 04-02-2007 at 04:48 PM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 04:26 PM
GarretJoseph

I think the Islanders could have made the PO's without Simon.

DP going down ended the season.

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 04:27 PM
OpAck

As an Isles fan lurking around and stumbled in here, I think most of you guys are hitting the nail on the head. I don't think it was the Hollweg/Simon incident that did them in though. If anything, it was a former NY Ranger by the name of Mike Dunham, who let in something like 24 goals in 4 games after DiPi went down. That and constant defensive miscues that DiPietro would stop, but Dunham didn't.

Simon wasn't much help on the ice, but he apparently brought alot of leadership to the team...which probably hurt the Isles in some capacity. As for Yashin, he had no ill effect on the team's demise. In fact, over the past 5 games, he's played very hard and seemed to fit in well with his linemates.

It basically just comes down to the loss of DiPietro, and the Isles inability to move on without him.

Good luck to you guys tomorrow.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 04:30 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Whats the Isles record since the Simon incident??

P.S. i like the new look logo

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 04:31 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
I think the Islanders could have made the PO's without Simon.

DP going down ended the season.
Way too simplistic, IMO. No doubt, Dipietro is the teams' MVP. And Simon is not. And Dipietro's superb play hid all season a defensively deficient team that features fringe NHL dmen like Campoli and Meyers and such reliable "backchecking" forwards as Kozlov and Captain Courageous.

But this team has played fangless (non-aggressive) hockey coinciding with the Simon incident. He gave other guys "cover". That is to say, Simon, the player, is certainly not great, or anything like it. However, his role/impact on the team was much greater than stats might suggest, especially this time of the year. His own coach and teammates have admitted as much.

It funny, really. First half of the year, when NYI and NYR were meeting, Isles were the aggressive team, NYR the team that seemingly lacked toughness and heart. Since then, the EXACT OPPOSITE. Sather gets A LOT of credit for that, IMO. (Much as it may hurt some NYR fans to acknowledge that. )

Last edited by Trottier: 04-02-2007 at 04:37 PM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 04:35 PM
Skroob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAckTool View Post
As an Isles fan lurking around and stumbled in here, I think most of you guys are hitting the nail on the head. I don't think it was the Hollweg/Simon incident that did them in though. If anything, it was a former NY Ranger by the name of Mike Dunham, who let in something like 24 goals in 4 games after DiPi went down. That and constant defensive miscues that DiPietro would stop, but Dunham didn't.

Simon wasn't much help on the ice, but he apparently brought alot of leadership to the team...which probably hurt the Isles in some capacity. As for Yashin, he had no ill effect on the team's demise. In fact, over the past 5 games, he's played very hard and seemed to fit in well with his linemates.

It basically just comes down to the loss of DiPietro, and the Isles inability to move on without him.

Good luck to you guys tomorrow.

*I* invented goaltending injuries. it was all me. hoo-hoo.

Skroob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 04:42 PM
KreiMeARiver
PHI has potential!

This is exactly why I made this thread! Good stuff, guys!

Old
04-02-2007, 04:45 PM
schmieder44

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
the biggest reason is DP getting hurt...the end

schmieder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 04:49 PM
HockeyBurd*

Avery is probably more of a reason... by "falling" on DiPi's head.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 05:39 PM
OpAck

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Whats the Isles record since the Simon incident??

P.S. i like the new look logo
3-7-2 since the Simon incident.

The big telling stat...of those 12 games since the Simon incident:

When DiPietro started (6 games), the Isles went 3-1-2 with 14 goals against/17 goals for (that 1 loss was the Simon-Hollweg game)

When Dunham started (5 games), the Isles went 0-5-0 with 27 goals against/15 goals for.

When Dubielewicz started (1 game), the Isles went 0-1-0 with 5 goals against/2 goals for.

Yep, Dunham sucks...and I guarantee he will get another contract since he's best buds with Garth Snow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skroob
*I* invented goaltending injuries. it was all me. hoo-hoo.
Allison! It was all about Allison!

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 05:41 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Way too simplistic, IMO. No doubt, Dipietro is the teams' MVP. And Simon is not. And Dipietro's superb play hid all season a defensively deficient team that features fringe NHL dmen like Campoli and Meyers and such reliable "backchecking" forwards as Kozlov and Captain Courageous.

But this team has played fangless (non-aggressive) hockey coinciding with the Simon incident. He gave other guys "cover". That is to say, Simon, the player, is certainly not great, or anything like it. However, his role/impact on the team was much greater than stats might suggest, especially this time of the year. His own coach and teammates have admitted as much.

It funny, really. First half of the year, when NYI and NYR were meeting, Isles were the aggressive team, NYR the team that seemingly lacked toughness and heart. Since then, the EXACT OPPOSITE. Sather gets A LOT of credit for that, IMO. (Much as it may hurt some NYR fans to acknowledge that. )
That's a good point, Trotts. Would this have anything to do with things like Jason Blake's outbursts towards the trade deadline, too? I mean, the guy is a bundle of energy and one of the Islanders' most important forwards -- it must have been galling for his teammates to hear him say he suddenly wanted out, even if he recanted.

As for Slats, I think a lot of us are starting to give him credit (some of it begrudgingly...).

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 05:44 PM
TheRedressor

The downfall of the Islanders began in that 5-4 OT win against the Flyers. They were up 5-2 in the third, became sloppy and sqeaked the win out in OT on a Hunter PP goal. This was Zednik's first game.

Next the loss on the day of the deadline to St. Louis definetly hurt. Up 2-0 with 138 to go and let them tie the game. Then DP makes mental error in OT and it costs the Isles the game.

Then they played the Rangers at the garden and the only player who showed up was Rick DiPietro.

Then at the colesieum the swing by Chris Simon is what began the downfall. Luck was not on their side as resulting in the PP goal by Prucha following the controversial non-goal.

At that point all it took was DP making that regretable play to keep Begin from getting a breakaway and that was the season right there.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 06:20 PM
shoothepuck
NY Raiders AMNRL

Signing Poti sealed their fate..

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 06:39 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

The Islanders were responsible for their tank job as they weren't good to start from.

04-02-2007, 06:43 PM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoothepuck View Post
Signing Poti sealed their fate..

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 07:10 PM
VanIslander
Hockey in the blood.