HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Devils fire Julien

Old
04-02-2007, 08:14 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaiMaiShu View Post
Hockey fans seem to nitpick a lot about systems. In every sport there are GREAT defensive teams. Basketball and Football are good examples. Botton line is not all defense is boring unless you really like to watch sloppy hockey. And it's not like the Devils were the first trapping team. Not one team ruins a league anyhow.
Devils hockey is boring. How boring? Chico spends 30 minutes a game, at least, defending how their style of play isnt boring.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 08:19 PM
TaiMaiShu
back to square one

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
Devils hockey is boring. How boring? Chico spends 30 minutes a game, at least, defending how their style of play isnt boring.
I never thought Devils games were boring until this year. With Julien as coach, if they had a lead in the third there was absolutely no forecheck. But in years past, the forecheck was still there.

TaiMaiShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 08:21 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
I never thought Devils games were boring until this year. With Julien as coach, if they had a lead in the third there was absolutely no forecheck. But in years past, the forecheck was still there.
last year they werent that bad, but its mostly because of 1 player. Scotty Gomez. when he has the puck, magic happens, the kid has a ton of talent off the rush, but other than that, its a snooze fest.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 08:22 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
but they made it cool.
Actually it was a couple of Canadians who did that - Lemaire and Robinson - from when they played in Montreal, difference is the Devils did it to win games, alot of bad teams copied it to stay in competitive in games rather than win them.

04-02-2007, 09:39 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God View Post
And it isn't, and anybody that thinks Lou has an ego knows nothing about Lou, even Mike Franseca laughed that off when it was suggested by some nutcrack of a fan, and he knows crap about hockey. But he knows Lou well.
Francesa isn't the greatest hockey mind, but he isn't that bad. It's Mad Dog that's terrible with it. Listening to him attempt to act like he knows something about hockey is like nails on a chalkboard. It's just painful.

Not to mention that "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" when he introduces the show. That commercial is just plain annoying.

Quote:
right, and lord knows we can trust that Lou has no ego from Franceseca, the guru of all things hockey. And your screen name, admin or not, pretty much disqualifies you from being objective 3rd party.

im not saying im right, im probably not, but in my opinion, the guy wants to be the one to get all the glory from taking them all the way.
I've actually had my fair share of run-in's with Lou, to be honest with you, inferno, and he's actually the most objective poster of all of the Devils fans that post on these boards.

Saying that about his screen name is just a little offbase.

Quote:
Yeah probably, but I'd trade a heart attack for another Stanley Cup any day of the week my good man.
Yeah, I would too. So that I wouldn't have to wait until it gets the point where I have to write up a sign that says... "Now I Can Die In Peace."

Quote:
I agree, Chico is the worst. It's not Emrick that annoys me as much as it is Chico. It's like he's enlodged his head in Brodeur's and Lou's *****.

Quote:
Actually it was a couple of Canadians who did that - Lemaire and Robinson - from when they played in Montreal, difference is the Devils did it to win games, alot of bad teams copied it to stay in competitive in games rather than win them.
I think Scotty Bowman actually used the first form - Left Wing Lock - of what we now know as the Neutral Zone Trap. He implemented it in his days with Montreal.

Well with all of the clutching and grabbing, teams had to try to steal a page from Lemaire to achieve some sort of success. Hartley did in Atlanta, and now they're a competitor.

CM Lundqvist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 09:50 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCaptain11 View Post
it doesn't have to be a contending team that hires him. not that i'm suggesting these teams make changes necessarily but don't you think SB that philly, washington, florida, and possibly chicago or even edmonton might think of julien as an upgrade over their current head coaches?
Washington and Florida have seen steady improvements. Philly is a mess. And what has Julien ever really done?

04-02-2007, 09:57 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Washington and Florida have seen steady improvements. Philly is a mess. And what has Julien ever really done?
I agree.

- Washington has improved under Hanlon, and he's helped create a good team chemistry. Backstrom still has yet to come up, and who knows how far the team will go when Ovechkin gets a capable center on his line.

- Florida has a great young team, with a great coach who knows how to develop young talent. Need proof? Check out the Ottawa Senators. They're a Martin project.

- I'm not a fan of Stevens, and I'm not exactly sure he can hack it at the NHL level, but I wouldn't fire him to hire Julien. If I'm gonna fire Stevens, I'd replace him with a guy like Quinn, Robinson, or a coach with a much better resume.

Old
04-02-2007, 10:11 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Sending one man in is not a "forecheck".

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 10:25 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
i'm not endorsing julien so much as defending him. i don't care whether he gets another coaching job or not. but the man did have a generally good rep as a good coach when he was with hamilton of the ahl before he became the canadiens coach.

i'm sure he'll get another shot soon...hell if therrien and vigneault, 2 ex-habs who had lengthy waits before jumping back in, can get jobs it should be much easier for julien.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 10:29 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 View Post
I agree.

- Washington has improved under Hanlon, and he's helped create a good team chemistry. Backstrom still has yet to come up, and who knows how far the team will go when Ovechkin gets a capable center on his line.

- Florida has a great young team, with a great coach who knows how to develop young talent. Need proof? Check out the Ottawa Senators. They're a Martin project.

- I'm not a fan of Stevens, and I'm not exactly sure he can hack it at the NHL level, but I wouldn't fire him to hire Julien. If I'm gonna fire Stevens, I'd replace him with a guy like Quinn, Robinson, or a coach with a much better resume.

my bad, the caps and panthers are bad examples on my part although i don't think martin will coach much longer as he'll stay there as gm.

i think the flyers, depending upon their offseason, will try to find that coach with a resume. but if, and it's a big IF, they go for steady improvement and not a quick fix, then there's almost no chance someone like the names you mentioned will give them a good look. they'll have to go for someone along julien's lines by default. which isn't a bad thing.

i guess what i'm saying is i don't think julien is bad at all. just a victim of circumstance so far more than anything else. gainey wanted his own guys in montreal when he took over and lou is being...lou.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 10:35 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCaptain11 View Post
my bad, the caps and panthers are bad examples on my part although i don't think martin will coach much longer as he'll stay there as gm.

i think the flyers, depending upon their offseason, will try to find that coach with a resume. but if, and it's a big IF, they go for steady improvement and not a quick fix, then there's almost no chance someone like the names you mentioned will give them a good look. they'll have to go for someone along julien's lines by default. which isn't a bad thing.

i guess what i'm saying is i don't think julien is bad at all. just a victim of circumstance so far more than anything else. gainey wanted his own guys in montreal when he took over and lou is being...lou.
I agree.

That's why I said IF I were to fire Stevens, I'd fire him in favor of a guy like Quinn or Robinson. I wouldn't do so, personally. I don't think Julien is that much of a jump over a guy like him. I don't think he's a bad coach, but he's just not a guy that I would fire a guy who has developed a good team chemistry amongst his players for.

Old
04-02-2007, 11:22 PM
Vodka Drunkenski

Send a message via AIM to Vodka Drunkenski Send a message via Yahoo to Vodka Drunkenski
Quote:
Teams copied it to stay competitve and not win? huh?

Vodka Drunkenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 11:43 PM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

who cares what system they play? The Knicks played the ugliest basketball back in the early 90's, and most of you would have creamed in your pants to win a title. Much less three. What do you care what style you used to win it?????

GentlemanOfLeisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 11:53 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanOfLeisure View Post
who cares what system they play? The Knicks played the ugliest basketball back in the early 90's, and most of you would have creamed in your pants to win a title. Much less three. What do you care what style you used to win it?????
The problem is that kind of play helped deteriorate the quality of the game.

Deteriorate the quality of the game to the point where they had to re-write the rules so that the offense could flourish again.

Old
04-02-2007, 11:54 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootin'Tyutin View Post
Teams copied it to stay competitve and not win? huh?
Pretty much.

Ronnie Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 07:53 AM
TravisZajac*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 View Post
The problem is that kind of play helped deteriorate the quality of the game.

Deteriorate the quality of the game to the point where they had to re-write the rules so that the offense could flourish again.
So your point is... Its better to scores 10goals by a game, and wins it 10-6 then.. Win 2-1 or 1-0?

I'M sure if the Rangers won 3stanley Cups with that Kind of play, im sure there'll be NO BORING , THIS KIND OF PLAY IS GREAT!

TravisZajac* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 08:43 AM
JR#9*

These Devils fans are great..this is what I posted in response to my favorite Poster Muttley on the main board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley
Are there any NYR fans that have anything fair or impartial to say about the New Jersey Devils?

What difference does it make if MacLean gets the job today, tomorow, next month, this summer or never?

And what exactly does this have to do with someone's "ego"?

You want to talk about 'ego' and living off of one's past, start with Slats. ""end quote

Yeah, because you Devil posters are certainly an impartial bunch!!!

The mancrush on Lou is pretty sickening at times like this.

You guys are applauding him for firing a guy THREE games before the playoffs for aqll the guts he has.

Well how about calling it what it was...overdue and the wrong hiring in the 1st place!

Everybody knew exactly what you were getting in Julien and that was a team that focused on defense-defense-defense all at the expense of any sort of flow or offensive attack in their gameplan.

But of course all you impartial Devil fans went on and on and on about how exciting you guys were and how the disgusting lack of offense wasn't and wouldn't be an issue and how the tag as the most boring team in hockey was all just this big media/fan conspiricy against the mighty Devils and how unfounded and biased it was but yet now that the Mightly Lou has spoken...yet again just days before the playoffs...and now what do we have...that's right all these impartial Devil fans going on and on about how Julien was choking the life out of the team and how terrible he was as coach!!!!

Classic!

The guy goes from coaching the Devils to all these great and EXCITING wins this year but now HIS SYSTEM(of course not the Devils style of play!!) is choking the life out of the team and players!! That's impartial for you alright!

People want to fall over themselves in signing Lou's praises and yet this is simply one of the oldest tricks in the book...make a coaching change to spark a shorterm run which is exactly why he waited until 3 games before the playoffs as opposed to 3 weeks ago when the team was struggling badly or even at the allstar break when if it was as obvious a problem as Lou painted yesterday then why wouldn't LOU have identified it MONTHS AGO and take steps to correct it?

But you know Lou wasn't making this move a few weeks ago with all the injuries and with the team struggling as he would've gotten a ton of heat if he made the move and continued to stuggle but now that the teams getting all their big guns back Lou walks into a much easier situation because he'll just claim he didn't have the time to right the ship and undue the damage that Julien had done.

But on a side note I just hope all your shoulders are all OK after all the backpatting you Devil fans were doing yesterday on yourselves because you all expected this change 3games before the PO's...after all you kept telling us all about it inbetween all the posts about what a great style the Devils deploy...you know the one's that now have been edited to say what a choking and offensivelyy stiffling system it was!!!

Last edited by JR#9*: 04-03-2007 at 08:54 AM.
JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 08:47 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
Sending one man in is not a "forecheck".
Don't bother..when you try to explain this to them they simply can't grasp it because if they see anything close to one guy anywhere near the attacking zone they consider it a forecheck in NJ!!!

Tried to explain this to Muttley after he was spouting off but when I went slow and explained how a forecheck works he had no answers and promptly disappeared from the thread.

Old
04-03-2007, 09:02 AM
Vodka Drunkenski

Send a message via AIM to Vodka Drunkenski Send a message via Yahoo to Vodka Drunkenski
Quote:
Pretty much.
I don't know of any team that went into a game with the mentality to stay competitive rather than try to win but okay, if you say so.

Vodka Drunkenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 09:02 AM
NewYorkStranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9 View Post
Don't bother..when you try to explain this to them they simply can't grasp it because if they see anything close to one guy anywhere near the attacking zone they consider it a forecheck in NJ!!!

Tried to explain this to Muttley after he was spouting off but when I went slow and explained how a forecheck works he had no answers and promptly disappeared from the thread.
You mean you didn't realize bravely sending one man in as deep as the face off circles is a forecheck? Come on, those trailblazing Jersey Devils and that intense puck pressure system they have garners nothing but excitement.

NewYorkStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 09:45 AM
Slewfoot

Quote:
But you know Lou wasn't making this move a few weeks ago with all the injuries and with the team struggling as he would've gotten a ton of heat if he made the move and continued to stuggle but now that the teams getting all their big guns back Lou walks into a much easier situation because he'll just claim he didn't have the time to right the ship and undue the damage that Julien had done.
IMO , If the Devils make an early exit from the playoffs , Lou absolutely should take a hit. On the other hand , if they do well ....................

Slewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 10:02 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:

Lou is the same guy who has his son Chris as one of the Devils top execs.Can you imagine the media coverage if Shannon Sather was running Hartford

According to reports,Lou has a camera set up in the hallway near the Devils room at the Meadowlands.The players know the camera exists.Lou doesn't want the players talking with the opposing players.When the Devil players want to talk to players of the other team,they walk down the hallway and behind two sets of doors which are out of the camera's view

I have friends who work in the hockey business and they have dealt with Lou

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 10:41 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
These Devils fans are great..this is what I posted in response to my favorite Poster Muttley on the main board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley
Are there any NYR fans that have anything fair or impartial to say about the New Jersey Devils?

What difference does it make if MacLean gets the job today, tomorow, next month, this summer or never?

And what exactly does this have to do with someone's "ego"?

You want to talk about 'ego' and living off of one's past, start with Slats. ""end quote

You guys are applauding him for firing a guy THREE games before the playoffs for aqll the guts he has.

Well how about calling it what it was...overdue and the wrong hiring in the 1st place!

Everybody knew exactly what you were getting in Julien and that was a team that focused on defense-defense-defense all at the expense of any sort of flow or offensive attack in their gameplan.

But of course all you impartial Devil fans went on and on and on about how exciting you guys were and how the disgusting lack of offense wasn't and wouldn't be an issue and how the tag as the most boring team in hockey was all just this big media/fan conspiricy against the mighty Devils and how unfounded and biased it was but yet now that the Mightly Lou has spoken...yet again just days before the playoffs...and now what do we have...that's right all these impartial Devil fans going on and on about how Julien was choking the life out of the team and how terrible he was as coach!!!!

Classic!

The guy goes from coaching the Devils to all these great and EXCITING wins this year but now HIS SYSTEM(of course not the Devils style of play!!) is choking the life out of the team and players!! That's impartial for you alright!

People want to fall over themselves in signing Lou's praises and yet this is simply one of the oldest tricks in the book...make a coaching change to spark a shorterm run which is exactly why he waited until 3 games before the playoffs as opposed to 3 weeks ago when the team was struggling badly or even at the allstar break when if it was as obvious a problem as Lou painted yesterday then why wouldn't LOU have identified it MONTHS AGO and take steps to correct it?

But on a side note I just hope all your shoulders are all OK after all the backpatting you Devil fans were doing yesterday on yourselves because you all expected this change 3games before the PO's...after all you kept telling us all about it inbetween all the posts about what a great style the Devils deploy...you know the one's that now have been edited to say what a choking and offensivelyy stiffling system it was!!!
Wow, JR, who new you cared so much. If I didn't know any better I might think that you're a bit obsessed. Anyway, it was a well-written rant.

Last edited by Brooklyndevil: 04-03-2007 at 01:36 PM.
Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 10:45 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
Wow, JR, who new you cared so much. If I didn't know any better I might might think that you're a bit obsessed. Anyway, it was a well-written rant.
Thanks BD, You know deep down I am the closet Devil fan that I'm accussed of being!

Old
04-03-2007, 01:23 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisZajac View Post
So your point is... Its better to scores 10goals by a game, and wins it 10-6 then.. Win 2-1 or 1-0?

I'M sure if the Rangers won 3stanley Cups with that Kind of play, im sure there'll be NO BORING , THIS KIND OF PLAY IS GREAT!

No Genius, my point is that Lemaire - who coached Jersey before your time - helped kill the quality of the game in the NHL by having his players clog up the neutral zone and not send a forecheck in, and then clutch and grab players all throughout the neutral zone on top of that.

Teams caught onto this, and thought they could win with it, and some did. Another Lemaire coached team, the Minnesota Wild, are probably the best example of it.

Boring is boring, whether your team is winning or losing.

The Devils didn't win 3 cups because of the trap, they won 3 cups because of the play of Stevens, Niedermayer, and Brodeur, and once Brodeur is gone, there will be some rocky times in Jersey, mark my words. Brodeur is the only goalie good enough in this league to perennially play 70+ games and win about 95% of them by 2-1 or 1-0.

That is why Brodeur is the best goalie in the league.