HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Where does Edmonton rank?

Old
04-02-2007, 05:35 PM
barrel_master
Amber Heard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadave View Post
I agree with you about the schools and hospitals.

If I could wave a wand...hmmm...haven't thought about it much. I guess for starters downtown should be more of a place to go (that's been an issue here as long as I can remember). Neighbourhoods should be less cookie-cutter and be more distinctive. It'd be nice to see some offbeat stores, clubs, and general "things to do" in areas other than Whyte.

I grew up in Greenwich Village, one of the most "happening" neighbourhoods in NYC, so I guess I'm a bit biased. But it just seems to me that Edmonton is pretty "dead" on a regular basis (not including annual festivals, which are great).
I guess I"m asking for more quantatative comments. Like TO has the Museum downtown + large malls + interesting record stores + erotic boutiques. So, I guess I'm asking, how many erotic boutiques does edmonton need before it becomes awesome?

Ha ha, but seriously, is it just a matter of more commercialization or something else? Do we need X number of stores downtown, Y number of museums/art galleries?

barrel_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 05:51 PM
Declassified

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel_master View Post
I guess I"m asking for more quantatative comments. Like TO has the Museum downtown + large malls + interesting record stores + erotic boutiques. So, I guess I'm asking, how many erotic boutiques does edmonton need before it becomes awesome?

Ha ha, but seriously, is it just a matter of more commercialization or something else? Do we need X number of stores downtown, Y number of museums/art galleries?

Just put it this way, anything you can do in Edmonton can be done in almost any city across North America, and you wont be isolated from pretty much the rest of the continent

Declassified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 10:30 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
I don't know why people are so shocked at the views of Edmonton or why players wouldn't want to live here.
Awesome post Raoul ( can't say much for the Stars colors you're wearing though ) . I 've been wanting to pipe up on this topic for a long time and I guess this is as good a chance as any . I lived in Edmonton for ten years ( what seems like an eternity ago ) and as a student it was great . Since then , as a fuction of my job , I have spent significant time in many of the world's financial centers . Places like NY , Zurich , Paris , Singapore , Cape Town , London and Hong Kong . I am currently based out of Tokyo . Let me assure you that most people I meet have never even heard of Edmonton . Toronto is really the only " important " city in Canada . Why do you think they have such a superiority complex ?

NHL players ( and their wives ) have the same preferences and tastes that most filthy rich people do - very few of which can be indulged in Edmonton . Some examples .....

We often hear how Edmonton has one of the largest malls in the world . But for someone like cfp's boss , out for an afternoon of shopping , the place would look like one giant Work Wearhouse . One simply cannot buy brands like Dior , Chanel , Hermes , Prada and Gucci in Edmonton .

Edmonton has maybe two hotels that might meet the standards of a pretentious rich person inviting friends to town .

To a Uof A student the Fringe is the best party of the year .... to cfp's boss it's hick culture on display .

Fine dining ? Impressive wine cellars ? Places to see and be seen ? They just don't exist on the level that a filthy rich person requires to fill up their days . And to get to anywhere that they do exist you have to ......

Fly out of an airport that doesn't have any direct flights to where you want to go . People want to talk about a thirty minute drive to the airport ? Please , that isn't the problem at all . On the scale of convenience and flights to choose from the airport in Edmonton barely registers .

And then there's the weather ......

I think some posters on this board are either very young and have never travelled , or they are seriously underestimating the shallowness of the filthy rich NHL players and the trophy wives their money and fame buy them .

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 11:37 PM
aki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fury View Post
The marketing of this city has also been atrocious. (can I get a indefinite suspension of the phrase "world-class city" please?) Edmonton could be Austin, but it wants to be Calgary so it ends up being Cleveland.
Cleveland is actually quite a cool town. Not in the same league as NYC, Boston etc. but they have revitalized the waterfront and there is a lot to do there. Edmonton actually would do well to emulate Cleveland.

aki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 11:49 PM
gr8haluschak

There are a couple things that are wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post

We often hear how Edmonton has one of the largest malls in the world . But for someone like cfp's boss , out for an afternoon of shopping , the place would look like one giant Work Wearhouse . One simply cannot buy brands like Dior , Chanel , Hermes , Prada and Gucci in Edmonton . .
Really go to Holt Renfrew, the exact same place that you can get that stuff in Calgary or Toronto

Quote:
Fly out of an airport that doesn't have any direct flights to where you want to go . People want to talk about a thirty minute drive to the airport ? Please , that isn't the problem at all . On the scale of convenience and flights to choose from the airport in Edmonton barely registers
The two main places people would want to go would be Toronto and LA and yes there are direct flights from here to there. As well if the Oilers did invest in a plane this is another use for it to make the families more happy.

gr8haluschak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 11:58 PM
barrel_master
Amber Heard

Quote:
I think some posters on this board are either very young and have never travelled , or they are seriously underestimating the shallowness of the filthy rich NHL players and the trophy wives their money and fame buy them .
Ha ha, I guess I'm underestimating how shallow these guys may be. I honestly didn't think that not having Gucci boutiques everywhere would be a problem but I guess it may be.

Old
04-03-2007, 12:17 AM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Probably more so that the city itself, I think it probably has more to do with the hockey culture here, where guys are very public figures. Everybody in town claims to have an encounter with a player somewhere, and have some inside knowledge about some wild stories. If you are Jarret Stoll or Ales Hemsky, you literally cannot go anywhere in this city without being the focal point of attention. Furthermore, with hockey being the only true game here (Eskimos don't count, since they play in the CFL), the players become even more public commodity. The media attention is completely on these guys, and perhaps for some, this could be uncomfortable (obviously not all, but for some). Sometimes that attention goes way over the line, and there are all sorts of innuendo about certain players (I've heard my fair share about the current crop of Oilers, and some guys who have left. Whether they are true or not, I'm not sure, but it seems like everybody who tells me is an informant on these matters) I think most players probably don't mind Edmonton the city itself. The majority of the players in the league are Canadian, and many of them grew up playing hockey in small towns or travelling in buses across the country. Weather and the "look" of a city shouldn't necessarily matter to these people. In terms of the city itself, there are far worse places to be than Edmonton.

As a Canadiens fan, I know that Montreal has a similar problem in attracting free-agents. The media pressure is suffocating, and the players are so recognizable that the whole experience can be crippling for some. Rumours surround every player, and not everyone can deal with it properly (some would argue that Theodore and Ribeiro were victims of it).

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 12:19 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

I think climate is a big thing. A long, cold winter is a detriment. And sure Buffalo, Minneapolis, even Denver aren't much better. But two of the three are major airline hubs and Buffalo is within a few hours drive of Toronto or NYC. While Edmonton is somewhat isolated geographically.

Calgary has winter but some reprieve with chinooks. Banff and Rockies are within an hour and one-half drive. The city's population is the youngest on average in Canada. It seems to have a more favourable impression than E-Town. On a side bar note, I will say that imo Edmonton has better hockey fans as ticket holders vs. fickle corporate seats (and fans) who seem to dominate Flamerville.

Edmonton has a great hockey tradition and many positives to offer. However today's NHL athletes are more sophisticated and savvy than past generations when it comes to making life/hockey decisions. Whether we choose to accept it or not, there seems to be a real image problem in attracting and retaining top NHL talent. No slag on the city but K-Lowe and crew likely have to face this additional barrier when recruiting prospective free agents.

Roloson became a convert despite initial misgivings and he is a kid from Simcoe, Ontario with NHL tours of duty in Calgary, Buffalo, and Minnesota. Can't ignore this fact. But money talks and maybe Rolo becomes the official Oiler welcome wagon to advocate E-Town to would be Oilers...

EDIT: Tricolour hits on another reality. These guys are rockstars in Edmonton. There is no escape beyond the rink. This can be a huge ego boost but also inprisoning especially if things aren't going well. Takes a special character to embrace this reality.

Behind Enemy Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 12:44 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiOil View Post
Yet, the Flames haven't really attracted any big name UFA's yet. Marc Savard? Boston. Jeremy Roenick - went to Phoenix for family reasons.

Fact is, most guys want to play out in the East. Why do you think Sutter has been assembling so many western born players?

I can't see any difference between Edmonton and Calgary in terms of one city being more attractive than the other. They're likely both at the bottom of the list.

The only way to win free agents? Outbid other teams. That's what ultimately most teams have done to attract UFA's.
I don't think they've really had to with an awesome nucleus of Iggy, Kipper, Phaneuf, and Regehr. Instead they have been able to target mid-level free agents like Hammer, Amonte.

Flamers were never in the market for Savard. Not sure where you got that information from? JR went desert, not sure if Sutter ever talked to him. Sutter has been building his team with Western boys as much for their character and work ethic as it has to do with their willingness to play in Cowtown.

Drury didn't want to play here. But I don't know if there have been many others.

Old
04-03-2007, 12:52 AM
barrel_master
Amber Heard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
Probably more so that the city itself, I think it probably has more to do with the hockey culture here, where guys are very public figures. Everybody in town claims to have an encounter with a player somewhere, and have some inside knowledge about some wild stories. If you are Jarret Stoll or Ales Hemsky, you literally cannot go anywhere in this city without being the focal point of attention. Furthermore, with hockey being the only true game here (Eskimos don't count, since they play in the CFL), the players become even more public commodity. The media attention is completely on these guys, and perhaps for some, this could be uncomfortable (obviously not all, but for some). Sometimes that attention goes way over the line, and there are all sorts of innuendo about certain players (I've heard my fair share about the current crop of Oilers, and some guys who have left. Whether they are true or not, I'm not sure, but it seems like everybody who tells me is an informant on these matters) I think most players probably don't mind Edmonton the city itself. The majority of the players in the league are Canadian, and many of them grew up playing hockey in small towns or travelling in buses across the country. Weather and the "look" of a city shouldn't necessarily matter to these people. In terms of the city itself, there are far worse places to be than Edmonton.

As a Canadiens fan, I know that Montreal has a similar problem in attracting free-agents. The media pressure is suffocating, and the players are so recognizable that the whole experience can be crippling for some. Rumours surround every player, and not everyone can deal with it properly (some would argue that Theodore and Ribeiro were victims of it).
I sort of don't buy the whole media attention angle. Although it may be different in different sports, almsot all pro-athletes in NA want to play in the large markets (New York, LA, Miami). If pro-athletes, in general, don't want the media attention, why on earth does it seem that all pro-baseball players want to play for the damn yankees?

Old
04-03-2007, 12:55 AM
barrel_master
Amber Heard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines View Post
I don't think they've really had to with an awesome nucleus of Iggy, Kipper, Phaneuf, and Regehr. Instead they have been able to target mid-level free agents like Hammer, Amonte.

Flamers were never in the market for Savard. Not sure where you got that information from? JR went desert, not sure if Sutter ever talked to him. Sutter has been building his team with Western boys as much for their character and work ethic as it has to do with their willingness to play in Cowtown.

Drury didn't want to play here. But I don't know if there have been many others.
Agreed, I don't feel that Sutter is collecting westerners because they're more inclined to play in the west, rather, I think, it has more to do wit htheir general style of play.

Old
04-03-2007, 01:21 AM
barrel_master
Amber Heard

Quote:
2 of them are from Alberta, 1 from Saskatchewan.

Langkow - also from Alberta.

One of them already played in Alberta (Hammer), and the other (Amonte) has come to Calgary himself, leaving his wife and children in the east.

It's not like Edmonton has been out of the loop for mid range free agents (Sykora - who has had nothing but good things to say about Edmonton) and Tjarnqvist.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nhl/columns...vid&id=2695346

Q: Were Boston and Calgary the last two teams standing for you in the free-agent sweepstakes?
A: Yeah, it was a tough call. Those were the last two teams. Iggy was really working me to come to Calgary and we are such good buddies. It was really hard to make a decision. We had been talking for two weeks straight leading up to my decision and he didn't talk to me for two weeks after my decision [laughs]."

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...ng+with+flames

http://calsun.canoe.ca/Sports/Hockey...69026-sun.html

Rejoicing rejection
GM Sutter actually happy Roenick picked Phoenix over Calgary

"At the end of the day, it wasn't a difference in money," said Sutter.

Sure

Or maybe it just has to do with the fact that it's more difficult to keep Eastern players in Northwest Canada? We already found out from Samsanov and Peca (who both claimed travel was the major reason they chose to go east)

Sun, November 12, 2006
Travellin' men
Life on the road is a huge factor for teams playing in the Western Conference

By ROBERT TYCHKOWSKI, EDMONTON SUN

ST. LOUIS -- Mike Peca couldn't handle it, and Sergei Samsonov didn't even want to try.

And better men than them have taken one look at the Western Conference travel schedule - 100 days a year on the road, rolling up to hotels at 3 a.m., forgetting what your kids look like - and said "Thanks, but no thanks.''

Go east, young man, has become an increasingly popular slogan in the NHL.

"It's a bigger deal than people realize,'' said Detroit netminder Chris Osgood, who's seen the view from both sides of the league. "When I was in the East, we'd take the train to Madison Square Garden, we'd bus to Philly and Jersey. Even if we played Pittsburgh or Boston and had to fly, we'd still be home, in our beds, by midnight. You never feel jetlagged out East.

"Out West you're never home, and if you are it's at six in the morning after a week-long trip to the West Coast.

"And in the playoffs it's a huge advantage. We can have a three hour time change from here to San Jose, while the teams out East are half an hour apart.

EAST PREFERRED

"Talking to guys out West this year, a lot of them have said they'd prefer to go to the East if they could - especially guys who are a little older and have families, who want to be home more. It makes a big difference.''

Samsonov isn't even going to pretend that travel wasn't one of the biggest reasons he wasn't going to stay in Edmonton.

"Our priorities were to stay in the Eastern Conference,'' he said, adding all the horror stories he heard about the travel were essentially true. "If you start off in the Eastern Conference and play for a while there, going to the West is definitely a different lifestyle.''

Calgary Sun from Jessie Conroy, Craig's wife:

"The group of girls I was with there loved it. Some said, 'I would just love for my husband to play his whole career here,' " recalled Jessie, who moved to California two years ago when Craig signed a no-brainer free-agent deal with the Los Angeles Kings. "There are a few wives -- more Americans -- coming from big cities who didn't like it. I'm not naming names but they're more big-city people. I'm from a small town, so (Calgary) was like a big city to me."

__

Like Edmonton, there are many players do not want to play in Calgary. Then, there are guys who have loved playing here (Weight, Marchant, Cujo, Niinimaa, Smyth, Hemsky, etc.)

"I've enjoyed every minute of my time in Edmonton. My wife enjoys the city, I love it, the fans have been great and have really stood by me. And I've struggled a bit to get where I am now."

(Horcoff)

The only difference is, it's Edmonton the eastern media has targeted....perhaps is the general defeatist attitude people in Edmonton have. Funny though, it's 2 posters from Calgary in this thread trying to take subtle shots at Edmonton....

I think it's foolish for you to assert that you "know" how western guys are targeted because they somehow can "tollerate" the travel while others can not. Western kids don't care for the travel just like eastern guys. I feel that enemy is right in his assertion that sutter collects westerners because he likes the style that is usually associated with western players.

Old
04-03-2007, 01:24 AM
Tyrolean

I remember the British press really running down Edmonton during the University games so it is not exclusively just a hockey perception.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 01:31 AM
Lupulfan*

These threads do nothing but become a "My city is better than yours" fest.

Guymez is very subtle in his message. Pimp up Calgary while you're taking a subtle shot at Edmonton....you know that's what you're trying to do. Carry on!

By the way, I must have missed it. What big name free agent has ever, in the last 17 years, signed in Alberta?

Lupulfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 01:35 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
2 of them are from Alberta, 1 from Saskatchewan.

Langkow - also from Alberta.

One of them already played in Alberta (Hammer), and the other (Amonte) has come to Calgary himself, leaving his wife and children in the east.

It's not like Edmonton has been out of the loop for mid range free agents (Sykora - who has had nothing but good things to say about Edmonton) and Tjarnqvist.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nhl/columns...vid&id=2695346

Q: Were Boston and Calgary the last two teams standing for you in the free-agent sweepstakes?
A: Yeah, it was a tough call. Those were the last two teams. Iggy was really working me to come to Calgary and we are such good buddies. It was really hard to make a decision. We had been talking for two weeks straight leading up to my decision and he didn't talk to me for two weeks after my decision [laughs]."

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...ng+with+flames

http://calsun.canoe.ca/Sports/Hockey...69026-sun.html

Rejoicing rejection
GM Sutter actually happy Roenick picked Phoenix over Calgary

"At the end of the day, it wasn't a difference in money," said Sutter.

Sure

Or maybe it just has to do with the fact that it's more difficult to keep Eastern players in Northwest Canada? We already found out from Samsanov and Peca (who both claimed travel was the major reason they chose to go east)

Sun, November 12, 2006
Travellin' men
Life on the road is a huge factor for teams playing in the Western Conference

By ROBERT TYCHKOWSKI, EDMONTON SUN

ST. LOUIS -- Mike Peca couldn't handle it, and Sergei Samsonov didn't even want to try.

And better men than them have taken one look at the Western Conference travel schedule - 100 days a year on the road, rolling up to hotels at 3 a.m., forgetting what your kids look like - and said "Thanks, but no thanks.''

Go east, young man, has become an increasingly popular slogan in the NHL.

"It's a bigger deal than people realize,'' said Detroit netminder Chris Osgood, who's seen the view from both sides of the league. "When I was in the East, we'd take the train to Madison Square Garden, we'd bus to Philly and Jersey. Even if we played Pittsburgh or Boston and had to fly, we'd still be home, in our beds, by midnight. You never feel jetlagged out East.

"Out West you're never home, and if you are it's at six in the morning after a week-long trip to the West Coast.

"And in the playoffs it's a huge advantage. We can have a three hour time change from here to San Jose, while the teams out East are half an hour apart.

EAST PREFERRED

"Talking to guys out West this year, a lot of them have said they'd prefer to go to the East if they could - especially guys who are a little older and have families, who want to be home more. It makes a big difference.''

Samsonov isn't even going to pretend that travel wasn't one of the biggest reasons he wasn't going to stay in Edmonton.

"Our priorities were to stay in the Eastern Conference,'' he said, adding all the horror stories he heard about the travel were essentially true. "If you start off in the Eastern Conference and play for a while there, going to the West is definitely a different lifestyle.''

Calgary Sun from Jessie Conroy, Craig's wife:

"The group of girls I was with there loved it. Some said, 'I would just love for my husband to play his whole career here,' " recalled Jessie, who moved to California two years ago when Craig signed a no-brainer free-agent deal with the Los Angeles Kings. "There are a few wives -- more Americans -- coming from big cities who didn't like it. I'm not naming names but they're more big-city people. I'm from a small town, so (Calgary) was like a big city to me."

__

Like Edmonton, there are many players do not want to play in Calgary. Then, there are guys who have loved playing here (Weight, Marchant, Cujo, Niinimaa, Smyth, Hemsky, etc.)

"I've enjoyed every minute of my time in Edmonton. My wife enjoys the city, I love it, the fans have been great and have really stood by me. And I've struggled a bit to get where I am now."

(Horcoff)

The only difference is, it's Edmonton the eastern media has targeted....perhaps is the general defeatist attitude people in Edmonton have. Funny though, it's 2 posters from Calgary in this thread trying to take subtle shots at Edmonton....
You've got me on Savard. I live here and never heard any rumbling that he might be re-Calgary bound. Looking at his payday in Beantown, there is little likelihood Calgary could compete dollar wise. Interesting that CowTown would even be on his list given the way he was railwayed out of town by past management.

Craig Conroy's LA Story was indeed a no-brainer. They offered his way more money. Just like you said, money is a primary motivator for players with limited shelf life to earn an NHL paycheck.

I'm sorry you view this as an Edmonton - Calgary thang. While I do prefer Calgary, they are both nice prairie cities, nothing more, nothing less. Truth be told, I'll always be a Saskatchewan boy first. Growing up I spent much more time in Edmonchuk than Calgary. Something to do with a hockey team. As far as NHL players preferences, I can't speak for them but I would like to see the Hockey News survey and any other info. to see if there is any difference. Whatever the case, there seems to be a growing perceptual issue that Edmonton is not a preferred destination. We'll see soon enough if Calgary falls into this category.

I think we can agree on the travel issue. I think this is growing into a competitive advantage for Eastern teams and is another reason the league should expand its inter-conference play.

Old
04-03-2007, 01:38 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel_master View Post
I sort of don't buy the whole media attention angle. Although it may be different in different sports, almsot all pro-athletes in NA want to play in the large markets (New York, LA, Miami). If pro-athletes, in general, don't want the media attention, why on earth does it seem that all pro-baseball players want to play for the damn yankees?
I think the media attention angle is probably overplayed a bit. It will be a factor for some, but most players will go where the money is. That's why the Yankees attract so many free agents. They can afford to outbid all 29 other teams in the league. However, when money doesn't come into play then other factors like media attention will impact a player's decision.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 01:51 AM
Bank Shot

Quote:
The thing is, many NHL cities fit under the same criteria you've listed.
Yeah but Edmonton has every negative trait possible. It's generic, it's working class, it's the farthest north, and it's among the top of the list for travel.

Sure Minneapolis is all of these things as well, but it's more central and less cold, so at least there a player could say to himself, " At least it's not Edmonton."

I like Edmonton well enough, but I can't honestly reccomend that people should visit it. Living there is fine, but it's not exactly an exciting destination. I don't think it is something that the residents should worry about either. Afterall, we can always look down our noses at Regina.

Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 01:56 AM
barrel_master
Amber Heard

Quote:
You have anything to back up your claim that Western players play a different style of hockey than Eastern players?
My point concerning the westerners is that, in gerneral, a "tough" style is associated wit h players who hail fro mthe west. This is in part because most westerners play in the WHL which certainly does play a differet style then the OHL and Q.

Still, my main point was that your assertion that Sutter targets westerners mainly because they find Calgary to be more palitable is, IMO, flawed. It may play a part but it's several orders of magnitude down from why he "targets" westerners.

Old
04-03-2007, 01:58 AM
barrel_master
Amber Heard

Quote:
What I dislike is people using Edmonton as an excuse for not getting an elite free agent.

The mid level free agents are easier to sign, but that doesn't mean the Oilers can't sign a top end free agent. Money will talk (as it has for most free agents).

Management/Winning atmosphere will also play a role. It seems some players want to play under Sutter (which can explain why Amonte and McCarty signed there). Under Slats, it seemed for the most part, players loved to play here.

There are plenty of other cities that aren't a tropical paradise (St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Nashville) that have had no trouble signing bigger name UFA's. Out-bidding or a chance of winning helps.

There really shouldn't be any excuses made for Lowe/EIG this summer. They have to turn the franchise around - results matter - otherwise it's time to look at other options.
I don't know man, do you really want to "overpay" a UFA?

Old
04-03-2007, 02:26 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
I don't really buy that. First, most WHL players don't end up playing in the NHL. Second, for every tough western boy like Stoll, you have a Comrie or Lupul.

How is it flawed? Most of the North American players that have been brought by Sutter via trade or free agency are western players or have played in the west.

http://calgaryflames.com/cgi-bin/roster/roster.cgi

It is much tougher convincing a guy from out east, especially the older players, to settle in the West.
Have a look at the players drafted. The Dub has been a training ground for big, strong defenseman. The league is known for its physical, tough hockey. And its style of play is more defensive, lower scoring. Recent Dub products include Phaneuf, Seabrook, Weber, Keith, Hamhuis. Lots of tough, physical forwards too.

But the WHL has all types of players including skill guys. Though it is certainly known by reputation for its tough, physical style of play. Not a surprise that a team like Nashville has looked West for several of its top picks to build its nucleus.

Two of Sutter's key trade acquisitions have been Floridians Huselius (a softy hated by Iron Mike Keenan) and Nilson, a Euro who thinks he is from Prince Albert. But for the most part, Sutter has been a team in his own image. One that will never quit, plays tough, physical hockey. The kind of game he and his bros. learned in the WHL wars.

Old
04-03-2007, 02:37 AM
Bank Shot

Quote:

Two of Sutter's key trade acquisitions have been Floridians Huselius (a softy hated by Iron Mike Keenan) and Nilson, a Euro who thinks he is from Prince Albert. But for the most part, Sutter has been a team in his own image. One that will never quit, plays tough, physical hockey. The kind of game he and his bros. learned in the WHL wars.
Tanguay, Conroy, Langkow, Amonte, Friesen. The forward core is actually pretty weepy now compared to the cup run Flames.

Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 02:42 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank Shot View Post
Tanguay, Conroy, Langkow, Amonte, Friesen. The forward core is actually pretty weepy now compared to the cup run Flames.
Ya, forgot Tanguay. And I'll add Lombardi to your list but take off Langkow. DL plays a very solid two way game and gets his nose dirty. Tough bugger to play against.
Sutter's core warriors are Iggy, Regehr, Warrener.

This is a better, more balanced team than Cinderella. They'll be a handful in the playoffs, imo.

Old
04-03-2007, 02:44 AM
Senor Catface

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Ya, forgot Tanguay. And I'll add Lombardi to your list but take off Langkow. DL plays a very solid two way game and gets his nose dirty. Tough bugger to play against.
Sutter's core warriors are Iggy, Regehr, Warrener.

This is a better, more balanced team than Cinderella. They'll be a handful in the playoffs, imo.
With a road record like theirs they'll be lucky to even reach round 2.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 09:53 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsun View Post
With a road record like theirs they'll be lucky to even reach round 2.
Here's hoping...

But I look at their goal differential which is very good. They just ran the table on a tough road trip (against three playoff bound division rivals). Hate 'em or hate 'em, they are a better team and road team than their season results show, imo.

Going into the playoffs with a strong defensive team and four scorers in the leagues' top thirty, the Flamers could be a spoiler.

Old
04-03-2007, 10:08 AM
bleed_oil

My drive to work today is a good example of why Edmonton ranks poorly among places to be. Here we are in April and I'm going 40 KM/hr on a road thats usually 70 because theres 1" of ice..... I can see why someon would rather work in say Florida or whatever, but thats all besides the point. A hockey player is supposed to be a professional who comes here does his time (September to Apri) and then goes wherever he wants to... even during the season they are only here half the time so I dont know what the big deal is.. I think a lot of the reason that players have issue with Edmonton are realated to the Franchise rather than the city.

bleed_oil is offline   Reply With Quote