HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

D Dmitry Osipov - Vancouver Giants, WHL (2015 Draft; 2013, 1st overall, CHL Import)

Old
02-17-2014, 01:55 AM
caley

vCash: 500
I think he's got some upside, though I'm not sure if Vancouver will be the right place to demonstrate it. A couple of times I've seen him show a bit of a mean streak and it's impressive, knocking opponents to the ice, and if he can display that on a more consistent basis, he could become a pretty solid stay-at-home defenceman.

People also have to remember that he's a 2015 draft eligible. This season isn't really his time to shine, this year is more about getting acclimated to the North American game. Now, if he doesn't show marked improvement next season, then you can begin to say it was a bad pick, but right now it's too early.

02-18-2014, 06:36 PM
Hordichuk_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
I think he's got some upside, though I'm not sure if Vancouver will be the right place to demonstrate it. A couple of times I've seen him show a bit of a mean streak and it's impressive, knocking opponents to the ice, and if he can display that on a more consistent basis, he could become a pretty solid stay-at-home defenceman.
He certainly hasn't been shy about playing the body. That has been the main bright spot in his game. He even got into his first scrap a few weeks ago and more than held his own. I think many people expected more pure skill out of a #1 overall pick. And that hasn't surfaced (at least not yet). Like you said he is still young and next season will be a lot more telling.

Hordichuk_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 02:13 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

People will go look at his stats and say he's a bust, but this is clearly not the case.

He is extremely raw, but there is a lot of great qualities to make him into a shutdown defenseman with a mean streak. His job will not be to score goals or have secondary assists so don't expect even more than 15 points next season. He has a great frame and uses it well. He has great puck skills defensively, including a long reach and great poke check ability. Plays a similar game like Ladislav Smid, but I would say that Osipov is a more physical player.

I like him much more than Mitchell Wheaton (DET) from the Rockets.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 01:48 AM
Sticks and Pucks

Where is Osipov currently projected to go in next year's draft?

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 01:54 AM
Trav

Is Vancouver going to keep Osipov or do u think they'll trade or release him and pick two new imports? They have had some success in the import draft though lately they don't seem to be having much.

Trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 10:08 AM
Zaddy Zads

Very intruiging player. Hopefully he'll have a strong season. The tools are definitely there. Wouldn't mind using a late draft pick on him next season if he shows some promise.

Zaddy Zads is offline   Reply With Quote