HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Olli Jokinen 1yr 2.5M

Old
07-02-2014, 04:28 PM
ChesterCopperpot1

vCash: 500
Poile said they may be close on some other deals, but would not specify.

ChesterCopperpot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 04:28 PM
Jarnberg

Ah yes. Announce the need for a #1 center. Fail to land one in free agency. Announce a crap signing. Then say you're working on some other deals. Mention the kids can move up. Quietly back away for the offseason.

David Poile everyone.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 04:30 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

My guess:

Neal - Fisher - Smith
Stalberg - Wilson - Cullen
Olli - Jarnkruk - Bourque
Nystrom - Goose - Clune

Forsberg to Milwaukee

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 04:30 PM
Privy
Unregistered User

Neal - Wilson - Cullen
Stålberg - Fisher - Smith
Forsberg - Järnkrok - Jokinen
Nystrom - Gaustad - Bourque
Clune

No clue at this point...

Privy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 04:33 PM
Jarnberg

Right now, we have more money spent on forwards then the following teams:

Detroit, Anaheim, Buffalo, Vancouver, Arizona, Ottawa, Columbus, Calgary, New York Rangers

St. Louis has only spent $3 million more than us on forwards.

$8.2 million locked up in Nystrom, Jokinen, Gaustaud.

Old
07-02-2014, 04:35 PM
predshabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
I'm OK with this. Obviously, he's not ideal, but he can help, and the money and term are very agreeable. He's extremely durable, missing not a single game in the last 3 seasons, only 3 games in the last 5 and only 9 games in the last 10 seasons. He's versatile because he can be put out there in all situations, so that some of the younger guys aren't thrust into situations that they're not prepared for (and which might hurt their confidence if they struggle in). If he re-kindles some of his scoring touch, it could become a very good signing. If he doesn't, he can be relegated to a bottom-6 role player, benched entirely or waived and it won't be any loss.

If he pushes Jarnkrok back to the AHL, it's not the end of the world. Calle didn't exactly light the AHL up last year. Going back down and becoming a PPG player for 2/3rds of next season could help his development. Also, if he does that, Jokinen can be traded at the deadline (netting, maybe, a 3rd- or 4th-rounder) so that there's room to recall him. LA did this with Toffoli. He put up 0.5PPG in 10 RS games and in 12 playoff games last Spring, and looked to have made the NHL permanently, yet LA sent him back to the AHL at the end of training camp, not recalling him until after the Olympic break, and the rest is history. If Jarnkrok has a strong training camp, it'll be hard to justify sending him down, but if he's only OK or "good," starting the season in Milwaukee and being "the guy" there for a half of a season could do some good for his development and long-term NHL potential.
Calle Jarnkrok did well in the AHL once he got use to the NA game. I want him on this team as #2 Center.
If no other moves

Forsberg-Wilson-Neal
Olli-Jarnkrok-Smith
Cullen-Fisher-Stalberg
Nystrom-Gaustad-Bourque
Clune

predshabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 04:36 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarnberg View Post
Ah yes. Announce the need for a #1 center. Fail to land one in free agency. Announce a crap signing. Then say you're working on some other deals. Mention the kids can move up. Quietly back away for the offseason.

David Poile everyone.
Well done.

07-02-2014, 04:36 PM
Top 6 Spaling

It's a one year, no risk deal. I see no problem here.

Poile's comments are great to hear. He's not selling it as a #1C signing, he's just saying it gives us options, and he's right.

Welcome to Nashville, Olli. I, personally, am glad to have you.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 04:39 PM
Top 6 Spaling

After posting, I went back through and read that thread. This fanbase confuses me so much. Pissed when Poile does nothing, pissed when he makes a low risk signing for one year. Everyone jumps on him for saying this is a #1C, then he proceeds to say Jokinen "provides options" and will likely be a winger.

Look, I'm not thrilled or anything, but I don't see how this signing causes anything more than ambivalence. Absolute worst case scenario, it doesn't work out and he's gone in a year (or at the deadline for a pick). What's to be mad about? If this was a 4 year deal (cough Gaustad cough) then I can see it, but there's no risk here.

What I am missing?

Old
07-02-2014, 04:43 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
After posting, I went back through and read that thread. This fanbase confuses me so much. Pissed when Poile does nothing, pissed when he makes a low risk signing for one year. Everyone jumps on him for saying this is a #1C, then he proceeds to say Jokinen "provides options" and will likely be a winger.

Look, I'm not thrilled or anything, but I don't see how this signing causes anything more than ambivalence. Absolute worst case scenario, it doesn't work out and he's gone in a year (or at the deadline for a pick). What's to be mad about? If this was a 4 year deal (cough Gaustad cough) then I can see it, but there's no risk here.

What I am missing?
You're missing the chance to rant and rave about a low risk signing.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 04:44 PM
ChesterCopperpot1

Quote:
It's a one year, no risk deal. I see no problem here.

Poile's comments are great to hear. He's not selling it as a #1C signing, he's just saying it gives us options, and he's right.

Welcome to Nashville, Olli. I, personally, am glad to have you.
His wife is pretty cute, and she likes country music. She also favorited my tweet to her asking if she liked hot chicken, so I am inferring that as a yes to my question.

ChesterCopperpot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 04:45 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

You are missing we are all jaded and have been fed the above line for years.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 04:46 PM
dknash

Quote:
What I am missing?
The corresponding moves to make this a successful offseason.

dknash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 04:50 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknash View Post
The corresponding moves to make this a successful offseason.
What moves are those, exactly? I don't want this to become the UFA thread all over again, but the top guys we not available for us to sign. Stastny went home, Vanek went home, and Moulson went back to his old team. We can't offer them the same thing. Poile almost had Spezza, but he wouldn't come here. He inquired on Kesler, who wouldn't come here. He brought in one of the best shooters in the NHL, addressing our biggest need. The off-season is far from over, with guys like Vrbata still in UFA.

Please, tell me what more he could have done. I am disappointed to, but it's not like Poile didn't try. He went out today and got us some secondary scoring at a low-to-no risk price. Awesome. It's not Stastny, but it's the best he could do.

What moves would you have made, in Poile's shoes?

Old
07-02-2014, 04:57 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

So in other words - David Poile has done everything he can. We should feel sorry for him. It just isn't fair that no one wants to play for him. He tried so hard, but it just didn't work out. It is just a shame. But don't worry - he tried! Hang in there!

Heard it since the team moved here.

#tiredofunendingexcuses

I know this isn't what you are exactly saying, but it is the idea you are pushing. I agree with most of your posts, but I think it is more than time to hold Poile accountable.

If this is his roster to start the year and it misses the playoffs, he deserves to be fired.

There is time to turn things around and use the 13 million in cap space. There are surely creative moves and trades and even a few free agents that would help. I'll reserve final judgement for the start of the season or until Poile says he is done, but I still remain unimpressed.

And for the record, I agree with your thoughts on jokinen.

Old
07-02-2014, 04:58 PM
Jarnberg

Well I feel much better now knowing that David Poile tried. At least he tried. What more could we ask for?

FYI we have NO idea who Poile tried or did not try to get. Other than Spezza deal falling through (BTW it is Poile's job to make this a team that players WANT to play for) and the Vinny deal since those got leaked. We have no other names that he tried to get. Or his effort level.

But hey, Poile tried to get Suter to stay. He tried to sign Weber before the massive offer sheet.

Trying by the GM may be good enough for some of our fan base, but apparently it isn't good enough for the stars in this league.

The offseason is far from over. But as of right now, we've all seen this play out before.

Last edited by Jarnberg: 07-02-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old
07-02-2014, 04:58 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
You are missing we are all jaded and have been fed the above line for years.
This year there were about four players that fit what the boards deemed as our needs ... Stasny, Vanek, Moulson, Richards ... with a second tier of Grabovski, Roy, and Hemsky for top six additions. Half of the top four were pretty much predetermined landings in hometowns .... Grabo and Kulemin were a package deal ... Richards is Cup chasing and took a lowball offer join the Hawks. That left Moulson, Roy and Hemsky for the FA chase ... with Roy still on the market. So, that puts the boards into full OMG ... we didn't sign Hemsky or Moulson mode. Sorry, but I'm not going to panic about not landing either of them.

Not that Olli Jokinen is a great catch but he is a fairly solid player on a low risk, short term contract. He can play wing or center and chip in 30+ points if his performance holds up at the low end of his recent play. It's a depth move.

Of course we could all join Cooper in Derek Roy fanboy land or Eklund in VLC to Preds trade rumorville ... but for now those aren't reality.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 05:01 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
So in other words - David Poile has done everything he can. We should feel sorry for him. It just isn't fair that no one wants to play for him. He tried so hard, but it just didn't work out. It is just a shame. But don't worry - he tried! Hang in there!

Heard it since the team moved here.

#tiredofunendingexcuses

There is time to turn things around and use the 13 million in cap space. There are surely creative moves and trades and even a few free agents that would help. I'll reserve final judgement for the start of the season or until Poile says he is done, but I still remain unimpressed.
Call them excuses or whatever, that's fine. That won't change the fact that we never had a legitimate chance to get Stastny or Vanek. I'm not saying we should feel bad for him, I'm saying we shouldn't be calling for him to be fired because he couldn't make Stastny be from Nashville.

Yeah, there are a few free agents left that would help. So he went out and signed one to add depth and every s**t on him for not doing enough. What do you want the guy to do?

I'm not saying I agree with everything he does (Klein, Gaustad, Nystrom), but the guy has gotten us Forsberg, Jarnkrok, and Neal in excellent trades, and all we do is complain.

Quote:
Well I feel much better now knowing that David Poile tried. At least he tried. What more could we ask for?
....nothing? Firing Poile won't fix the fact that people don't want to play here.

Old
07-02-2014, 05:01 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:

FYI we have NO idea who Poile tried or did not try to get. Other than Spezza deal falling through (BTW it is Poile's job to make this a team that players WANT to play for) and the Vinny deal since those got leaked. We have no other names that he tried to get. Or his effort level.
Bingo.

Old
07-02-2014, 05:02 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:

Kesler was a name that was leaked as well.

Old
07-02-2014, 05:04 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Kesler was a name that was leaked as well.
Right. Again, another player who didn't want to play here. That is on Poile.

Old
07-02-2014, 05:05 PM
alexmanu

"What more can we ask for?"... Well RESULTS for one! This isn't the school sports day where everyone gets a medal for 'trying', this is professional sports. Results need to happen sooner or later. I'm tired of the excuses. If Poile can't get any results then GET RID!

alexmanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 05:05 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

T6S,

Do you think David Poile does a good job selling Nashville?

I don't. You should see what other GMs in the sports league do to get talent. Our GM can't even call a player or agent to convince them we are a good destination.

Nice.

Great man. Brilliant hockey mind. Passive. Doesn't have what it takes. That is David Poiles career thus far.

Old
07-02-2014, 05:06 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Right. Again, another player who didn't want to play here. That is on Poile.
Exactly. Poile should have tried to sell the team/city to these players, yet he probably did as he admitted to doing with Spezza, which was he didn't want to come here so I was done talking to him. You shouldn't be done until he has signed elsewhere if that is who you really want.

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 05:07 PM
Flgatorguy87

Quote:

But hey, Poile tried to get Suter to stay. He tried to sign Weber before the massive offer sheet.

Trying by the GM may be good enough for some of our fan base, but apparently it isn't good enough for the stars in this league.

The offseason is far from over. But as of right now, we've all seen this play out before.
Please tell me what your plan is because clearly you have it figured out?

I'll just sit here and wait to be enlightened....

Flgatorguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote