HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hossa Vs. Callahan

Old
04-04-2007, 06:50 AM
DutchShamrock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal_NYR View Post
Hossa over Callahan
Prucha over Hollweg
Callahan over Ortmeyer

Touch choice. I don't want to see any of them go.
Hossa over Callahan? I don't think that's really the who is going to replace Callahan but I don't agree regardless. Callahan was one of the best forwards last night and when he gets his minutes he is always noticable out there. Hossa needs Jagr and Nylander to contribute points for this team. It's great and all that he meshes with some top level players in the league, but did you notice Callahan generating about 3 legit scoring chances on his own. He drove to the net and the defense just couldn't stop him. I've never seen the bigger Hossa do that. Cally's a force out there regardless of his linemates, that cannot be said about Hossa.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 07:19 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
If Hossa is healthly he should not play, It has taken Hossa almost two full seasons to show me what Callahan has shown me in three weeks. I think Callahan has done more than Hossa actually, His hussle and hard nose to the Net is somthing I've rarely seen from Hossa.
I think you sit someone like ortmeyer he has been struggling lately. He took two dumb penalties against the isles. Hossa can kill penalties plus he adds more offense. This is the threat to orts NYR career, more versitle players that do the samething type of things but bring a better all round game. You can not have 3-4 players, Betts, Orts, Hollweg and Orr that are similar in offensive ability and think you can be successful. You have to replace at least 2 of them with people who are just a physical but have a better all round game.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 11:17 AM
SickNice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
I think you sit someone like ortmeyer he has been struggling lately. He took two dumb penalties against the isles. Hossa can kill penalties plus he adds more offense. This is the threat to orts NYR career, more versitle players that do the samething type of things but bring a better all round game. You can not have 3-4 players, Betts, Orts, Hollweg and Orr that are similar in offensive ability and think you can be successful. You have to replace at least 2 of them with people who are just a physical but have a better all round game.
Every one of these discussions SHOULD be based on the following: 1) Prucha is in the line-up, and 2) Callahan is in the line-up. Despite Renney's actions, there is no logical explanation against either of those two statements. The real concern is the three spots that need to be allocated between Ortmeyer, Hollweg, Orr, Isbister, and Hossa.

To be honest, and to build on this, outside of Ortmeyers penalties and the fourth line being on the ice for both goals against, can anyone recall any of the aforementioned players being noticably visible on the ice???

SickNice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 11:58 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Hossa - Nylander - Jagr
Callahan - Avery - Shanny
Prucha - Cullen - Straka
Ortmeyer - Betts - Ibister

Against a playing team

Straka - Nylander - Jagr
Prucha - Cullen - Hossa
Ortmeyer - Betts - Hollweg/Orr

Against a goon squad

These are my initial thoughts - although the 4th line above played -2 last night in a "shutdown role" was not especially encouraging...
Having 2 good and hungry alternatives being scratched day to day for 5 of the spots on the bottom 2 lines (and for Hossas spot if his comeback is hampered) is not a bad thing and is a problem welcome to encounter actually.
The team composition and chemistry has to be composed according to competition and present form of players. That is the key to a coaching job. This has not worked very well this season - but has been working much better of late. Why - I do not know.

Last edited by BBKers: 04-04-2007 at 12:03 PM.
BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 12:07 PM
BroadwayBlair

Prucha shouldn't sit for anybody, he has 20 goals this season... not as great as last year, but hes finding his touch again. Isbister, Orr, or Ortmeyer should sit for Hossa. i personally want isbister or orr to sit.

BroadwayBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 12:08 PM
BBKers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Hossa - Nylander - Jagr
Prucha - Cullen - Straka
Ortmeyer - Betts - Ibister

Against a playing team

Straka - Nylander - Jagr
Prucha - Cullen - Hossa

Against a goon squad
Possible playoff opponents:
Pittsburgh - playing team
Buffalo - playing team
Atlanta - playing team
New Jersey - something between goon and play (trap team)

This kinda sums up what the lineup will look like. No need for enforcers in PO:s *(probably) - just good skaters and hard workers stepping up their play when it counts.

Old
04-04-2007, 12:14 PM
BBKers

Quote:
Pittsburgh - playing team (excluding George)
Buffalo - playing team
Atlanta - playing team
And were the Rangers not to make the
playoffs with is golden opportunity at hand - they can wrestle with the Flyers, Fishstix, Capitals and Blackhawks on the golf green
They deserve a good *ss wupping then to boot

Old
04-04-2007, 12:33 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
I'm not a big fan of Hossa or Isbister, but if it came down to those two, I'd go with Hossa. Prucha and Callahan have to play. And I'd be hesitant to scratch Ortmeyer despite his recent troubles because the guy is a shot-blocking machine on the PK. Hollweg or Orr would be my scratches.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 02:54 PM
uvm44

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
I'm not a big fan of Hossa or Isbister, but if it came down to those two, I'd go with Hossa. Prucha and Callahan have to play. And I'd be hesitant to scratch Ortmeyer despite his recent troubles because the guy is a shot-blocking machine on the PK. Hollweg or Orr would be my scratches.
Hossa will be in, Isbister will be out. Prucha will be in, Orr will be out. I'd be surprised if we see Orr, unless there is an injury, for the final two games of the regular season for that matter.

uvm44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 08:42 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Sorry, TB, but Hollweg is bringing nothing right now. And, while I'd play Ortmeyer over Orr, Orts has pretty much sucked lately. I think he was responsible for three out of the four consecutive icings the other night against the Leafs, and he's been brutal attempting to clear zones. Guys like Hollweg and Ortmeyer have served their purpose the last two years. But, there are better players coming who should push these two out of the way.
Nothing it what context? Again, I keep going back to that if looking at him as a 4th line role player whose role is to bring energy and physical play, he certainly is bringing something. What more are you looking from a 4th liner?

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 08:44 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickNice View Post
Every one of these discussions SHOULD be based on the following: 1) Prucha is in the line-up, and 2) Callahan is in the line-up. Despite Renney's actions, there is no logical explanation against either of those two statements.
And therien lies the difference between reality and Renney's actions. The problem is that I do not think that the discussions begin with those as a base. Not when it comes to Renney.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 10:30 PM
sickofsather4ever*

Quote:
Pittsburgh - playing team
Buffalo - playing team
Atlanta - playing team

This kinda sums up what the lineup will look like. No need for enforcers in PO:s *(probably) - just good skaters and hard workers stepping up their play when it counts.
Would have to disagree a bit. Isbister sits either way if Hossa is healthy. I would go with the following (either way - you are NOT gooning in the playoffs)

Hossa-Nylander-Jagr
Callahan-Avery-Shanny
Straka-Cullen-Prucha
Hollweg-Betts-Ortmeyer

Assuming our D gets healthy

Toots-Rosib#%ch
Malik-Girardi
Mara-Pock

While I would LOVE to sit Malik and Rosygirl; that will NOT happen. Bring up Stahl and start Strudwick over the turnover twins! But I digress.....

sickofsather4ever* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 11:07 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Nothing it what context? Again, I keep going back to that if looking at him as a 4th line role player whose role is to bring energy and physical play, he certainly is bringing something. What more are you looking from a 4th liner?
He's not bringing either energy or physical play. And, his overall play has been rather on the dumb-side of the ledger.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 12:22 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedrngrblue View Post
I totally agree with you. The guy seemed to have finally gotten it together and settled into a zone before getting hurt. Like Jagr said, its hard to show you can produce with limited ice time.
hey bleeds..sorry forget the link to the other forum they're all dead i'll be posting along side with you on HF! YOUR PM doesn't work again LOL..it's disabled.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 08:40 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Hossa over Isbister
Prucha over Orr/Hollweg

Hossa - Nylander - Jagr
Callahan - Avery - Shanahan
Straka - Cullen - Prucha

However, Renney likes playing both Hollweg and Orr because they had a good game against Crosby and Co. once.

On a good team, a 4th line player (Ortmeyer) does not play on the 3rd line over a 2nd liner (Prucha). However, in Rangerland this occurs. It always amazes me.

Last edited by WhipNash27: 04-05-2007 at 08:50 AM.
WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 05:39 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

If it came down to the 2 at this point I'd take Callahan simply because he's been a big part of the team down the stretch run. Unfortunately for Hossa it would be a situation where an injury lost him his spot

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 09:12 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

This is just stupid. How many point per game players do the Rangers have? Hossa was playing at a point per game ever since he joined the top line. Even before he started scoring, he was also the best player outside of Jagr at controlling the puck in the offensive zone. And, oh yeah, he is one of the better defensive/PK forwards on the team. Why on EARTH would he sit?

Are you actually implying that guys like Ortmeyer, Hollweg, ISBISTER or ORR should play ahead of him? And don't get me wrong, I LOVE Callahan and want him to play for a dozen or more years on our team, but if you MUST make this an either/or scenario between the two... does Callahan score a point a game? Does he kill penalties? Was he our BEST PLAYER in last year's playoffs (short as they were)?

Everyone jumped on the Hossa bandwagon back in Jan/Feb, the guy gets hurt and all of a sudden it's like his offensive breakout (and full year of defensive excellence) never happened. Come ON.

Pardon the extensive use of caps, but I am just flabbergasted by this thread.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 06:59 AM
DutchShamrock

Just to play devil's advocate, Callahan isn't a ppg player, but he isn't on the top line either. Hossa wasn't scoring as much as Callahan on the 3rd line or even the 2nd. How much would Callahan be putting up if he was on the 1st? It's not fair to only look at Hossa's career with Jagr and compare it to Callahan's career with Betts, Ortmeyer, Hollweg and Cullen. The competition shouldn't be between these two guys, it should be between Hossa and Isbister and in that case Hossa wins. He wins over Orr also. I'm reluctant to have both Isbister and Hossa in and then sit Ortmeyer or Hollweg though, I'd rather just have one of two in the lineup... preferably Hossa.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote