HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Guess Shanahan Might be Right

Old
04-03-2007, 09:34 PM
vladmyir111

vCash: 50
Guess Shanahan Might be Right

Kind of weird he said it was going to take the second to last game to clinch the playoffs...

said it a while ago, don't recall exactly when.

Guess he could be right..

Last edited by FLYLine24: 04-03-2007 at 10:26 PM.
vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 10:22 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Shanahans Comment

Actually Shannys prediction made on WFAN , last month, was that the playoff race would not be decided untill the 2nd to last game of the season.

He didn't say the Rangers would get in. He just said that he saw the standings being so so tight down the stretch that it wouldn't be untill that game that the race would be decided.

It's an interesting story "if" it really does unfold that way.

I know we need a point to get in, but is it possible we are eliminated that day as well, depending on other games?

Not that that is going to happen.

You know Shanny was about to sign with Montreal and he said that instead his "intuition" told him to come to NY first.

04-03-2007, 10:59 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
Actually Shannys prediction made on WFAN , last month, was that the playoff race would not be decided untill the 2nd to last game of the season.

He didn't say the Rangers would get in. He just said that he saw the standings being so so tight down the stretch that it wouldn't be untill that game that the race would be decided.

I know we need a point to get in, but is it possible we are eliminated that day as well, depending on other games?

You know Shanny was about to sign with Montreal and he said that instead his "wife" told him to come to NY first.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 11:09 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post

You know Shanny was about to sign with Montreal and he said that instead his "intuition" told him to come to NY first.
The only way the Rangers can be eliminated is if they lose their last 2 games in regulation and Toronto wins their last two games. Any Ranger point or Toronto loss and the Rangers are in. I think even if Toronto loses in OT or shootout in and win the other game, the Rangers are still in due to more wins.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 11:20 PM
McDonagh27

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
The only way the Rangers can be eliminated is if they lose their last 2 games in regulation and Toronto wins their last two games. Any Ranger point or Toronto loss and the Rangers are in. I think even if Toronto loses in OT or shootout in and win the other game, the Rangers are still in due to more wins.
Precisely.

McDonagh27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 11:27 PM
The Thomas J.*

Man, I just hope we win in regulation on Thursday, I dont want to back into the playoffs like we did last year. Winning just makes it so much sweeter!

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 11:42 PM
kovalev27hf

i don't get it. if we get one more point we're at 93 with 41 wins. if toronto wins their next two they are at 93 with 41 wins. so how is it automatic that we get in with one point? who's got the next tie breaker?

kovalev27hf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 12:11 AM
McDonagh27

First tiebreaker is wins. Second tiebreaker is head to head (2-2 vs Toronto this year)..

It would come down to the third tiebreaker, which is goal for goals against differential, which we win by a huge margin

Leafs = -9
Rangers over +20

http://www.nhl.com/nhlhq/faq/go_figure.html

McDonagh27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 06:59 AM
bcrt2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrstrakanylander View Post
First tiebreaker is wins. Second tiebreaker is head to head (2-2 vs Toronto this year)..

It would come down to the third tiebreaker, which is goal for goals against differential, which we win by a huge margin

Leafs = -9
Rangers over +20

http://www.nhl.com/nhlhq/faq/go_figure.html
Actually the second tiebreaker is points won against the other team. The Rangers have got 4 points against the Leafs, the Leafs have 5 points against the Rangers (one OTL)

bcrt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 10:42 AM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrt2000 View Post
Actually the second tiebreaker is points won against the other team. The Rangers have got 4 points against the Leafs, the Leafs have 5 points against the Rangers (one OTL)
So one more point doesn't guarantee it?

If this is the case, then why would 2 points last night get us in?

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 11:08 AM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease29 View Post
So one more point doesn't guarantee it?

If this is the case, then why would 2 points last night get us in?
A win last night would have given us 93 points and 42 wins. Toronto, if they win both remaining games, can get 93 points and 41 wins, so even if Toronto caught us on points, we would keep the spot on wins, which is the first tie-breaker.

If we only get one more point in the last two games, we will have 93 points and 41 wins. Toronto can also get to 93 points and 41 wins, and they hold the head-to-head tie-breaker.

Kodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 11:17 AM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
A win last night would have given us 93 points and 42 wins. Toronto, if they win both remaining games, can get 93 points and 41 wins, so even if Toronto caught us on points, we would keep the spot on wins, which is the first tie-breaker.

If we only get one more point in the last two games, we will have 93 points and 41 wins. Toronto can also get to 93 points and 41 wins, and they hold the head-to-head tie-breaker.
Ah I see. Well that sucks. So any combination of two points for us or a loss for Toronto and we're in. At least we control our own destiny.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 11:34 AM

The east is so tight this season it's unbelievable!

With two games to go, even the 6th team can still miss the playoffs while the 10th could make it in!

Tomorrow's Habs vs Rangers game is HUGE! If the Habs win in regulation, and the Leafs win aswell, and the Bolts lose to FLA on Friday, it would ALL come down to Saturday's games... with only Toronto playing at home!

MTL @ TOR
TB @ ATL
NYR @ PIT

SICK!

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 02:21 PM
outofrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
Man, I just hope we win in regulation on Thursday, I dont want to back into the playoffs like we did last year. Winning just makes it so much sweeter!
Oh, I know. i'm going to have my fingers and toes and other body parts crossed for Thursday.

outofrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 06:18 PM
bubba5

We need to not only get in the playoffs but we need to finish 6th. Playing Atlanta is much better than getting Buffalo or the Devils.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 06:42 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
We need to not only get in the playoffs but we need to finish 6th. Playing Atlanta is much better than getting Buffalo or the Devils.
Definitley. Playing Atlanta would be ideal. Lets first get the 2 points tomorrow.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote