HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Getting that lower base balance?

Old
07-03-2014, 06:53 PM
BackhandToeyJoey

vCash: 500
Getting that lower base balance?

I need a little advice on skating.

I'm a pretty good hockey player, one of the reasons I played at such high levels of hockey is because of my skating. I need help with my balance though. I think I would be 10x the skater if my balance was better. I've been playing hockey since I was 12 so It's sort of difficult to develop a skating habit right now, but it isn't impossible. I'm 18 right now, 6'0 and 185, athletic build.

Are there any ways to increase my balance? Also, are there any hockey players with incredible balance I can look up on YouTube?

BackhandToeyJoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 07:14 PM
Pacifist Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackhandToeyJoey View Post
I need a little advice on skating.

I'm a pretty good hockey player, one of the reasons I played at such high levels of hockey is because of my skating. I need help with my balance though. I think I would be 10x the skater if my balance was better. I've been playing hockey since I was 12 so It's sort of difficult to develop a skating habit right now, but it isn't impossible. I'm 18 right now, 6'0 and 185, athletic build.

Are there any ways to increase my balance? Also, are there any hockey players with incredible balance I can look up on YouTube?
So you're a pretty good hockey player and play at high levels because of your skating ability, but you have balance problems and have room to improve tenfold?

Pacifist Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 07:57 PM
BackhandToeyJoey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifist Goon View Post
So you're a pretty good hockey player and play at high levels because of your skating ability, but you have balance problems and have room to improve tenfold?
Well, I exaggerated a bit lol. But yeah, I mean, my balance is the weakest part of my game. I fly into corners, chipping for pucks and hitting bodies, but with better balance, I'll be playing my game much smarter and better along the boards. I've been working out the past few months, and this Summer, I want to be ready for Junior (or Senior hockey) by working out on my balance.

BackhandToeyJoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 08:37 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800

Get a bosu ball, stick, ball/biscuit and work on stick handling while balancing on the ball with knees bent deep, shoulders up. Full range of motion: front, both sides, behind.

I'm probably doing it ass backwards, but I've used it upside down. I think it's more of a challenge, but it likes to throw you off so be careful.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 01:14 PM
sully61
Unregistered User

Go to sticks and pucks and work on your edges. My old coach Steve Lowe (search him) had us do drills every week to improve balance and no one can knock me off the puck and I'm 6'0" 170lbs. For the drills start at a goaline and take 2-3 strides and use only your inside edge while cutting the ice while turning. Do the same for your outside edge. Then do one foot each so inside outside inside outside edges. Do that and get good at it and you'll be set.

sully61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 03:22 PM
flyers10

Bosu ball is good. If used normal works balance in ankles up through core. Upside down will work more hips through core.

flyers10 is offline   Reply With Quote