HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Malik did it again

Old
04-04-2007, 02:37 PM
dave4

vCash: 500
Malik did it again

Ok I know we've talked about this before, but not recently and it still blows my mind. I think Malik has been playing OK during the last two months, not great, not terrible...just OK. He has good vision and makes some nice outlet passes, and a couple of amazing passes that led directly to goals come to mind. But he makes too many mistakes in his own end and the risk/reward ratio is just too high for me. Give me a guy like Tyutin instead who makes a LOT of nice passes and doesn't turn the puck over very often.

That's why Tyutin is a #1-2 defenseman, and Malik is a #5-6.

Anyway, I thought Malik, along with Girardi and Strudwick, played particularly poorly last night. Numerous mistakes and bad decisions, being out of position, turnovers because of the Islander forechecking pressure, etc.

The funny thing is, Girardi and Strudwick came out of the game with well earned -2 ratings, and Malik came out + 2. PLUS 2!!! PLUS FREAKIN 2!!!

Obviously Girardi and Strudwick were hampered by playing too often with the fourth line, which had a particulalry abysmal game, and Malik got one of his 'plusses' on the Nylander goal, generated by the top line. He got his other plus on the shorthanded goal.

We've been talking about the merits of +/- for a while here, and last night was a perfect example of the flaws of this stat.

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 02:39 PM
in the hall

haha that is funny.. i've given up trying to even think of an explination for it

theres that saying its better to be lucky than good.. he doesn't seem to ever be either though, but somehow he gets those +

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 02:43 PM
RangersAM99

Once toots comes back I think our defence will be strong going into the playoffs. Even though Marik has been playing OK I think he will get his A game back and start putting up some points and making key defensive plays when we need them

RangersAM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 02:55 PM
chosen

Now up to plus 31 on the season yet some here write things like he stinks up the joint every other game, or how every player who ever laced them up is better.

Never mind that it is straight out impossible to lead your team in plus/minus and stink up the joint on a regular basis.

The inevitable denigrating threads (like this one) and comments are staples of this site and the stupid fans at the Garden who regularly boo Malik even when he has done nothing even remotely wrong remain idiots. They think Orr is more important to the team because he will punch people. Never mind that he can do nothing else. Much of the brain damaged crowd loves him.

You cannot be a non-physical defenseman here and be appreciated unless you have the offensive talent of a Leetch. Some hockey fans will always spit venom at large D-men that don't hit even if they do other things that help the team.

Face it. He fits in with the team we have and is a contributor. If we weren't structured around a Czech/European mentality he might be a non-contributor or worse. But we are structured that way.

Maybe some folks who don't appreciate him are wrong?

Nah, can't be that.

What was I thinking.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 02:57 PM
Balej20*

Here's a legit question for you all. When Tyutin and Rachunek are back in the lineup...does Pock sit or does Malik sit? If Renney can't see that Malik has been the teams worst d-man for the better part of the season, he is blind.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 02:59 PM
Geogaddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
Here's a legit question for you all. When Tyutin and Rachunek are back in the lineup...does Pock sit or does Malik sit? If Renney can't see that Malik has been the teams worst d-man for the better part of the season, he is blind.
Thats easy...no way Renney benches Malik. Pock will be watching again.

Geogaddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 03:00 PM
Vodka Drunkenski

Send a message via AIM to Vodka Drunkenski Send a message via Yahoo to Vodka Drunkenski
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
Unfortunately, we all KNOW that Renney is going to sit Pock.

Vodka Drunkenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 03:09 PM
Evgeny Oliker

Like the person who started this post suggested, Malik is a +31 because he always plays with the Jagr line.

Girardi always plays with our 3rd or 4th line. Put Girardi with the Jagr line and he'll be a +31 too! Maybe better!

I'll be rather upset if we keep Malik for much longer...he sucks

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 03:15 PM
dave4

Cool, you drew a line in the sand and are trying to take what was an observation thread about three d-men playing poorly, two coming out of the game -2 and one coming out +2, and turn it into a battle. Congratulations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Now up to plus 31 on the season yet some here write things like he stinks up the joint every other game, or how every player who ever laced them up is better.

Never mind that it is straight out impossible to lead your team in plus/minus and stink up the joint on a regular basis.
Nobody said he's stinking up the joint on a regular basis. I said he's been playing OK but he played poorly last night. Please read the post.

Quote:
The inevitable denigrating threads (like this one) and comments are staples of this site and the stupid fans at the Garden who regularly boo Malik even when he has done nothing even remotely wrong remain idiots. They think Orr is more important to the team because he will punch people. Never mind that he can do nothing else. Much of the brain damaged crowd loves him.
What's so denigrating? I'm sorry I said he played badly last night. I only said that because he did do a few things 'remotely wrong' last night, along with a lot of his teammates.

But thanks for calling us all stupid, idiots, and brain damaged.

Quote:
You cannot be a non-physical defenseman here and be appreciated unless you have the offensive talent of a Leetch. Some hockey fans will always spit venom at large D-men that don't hit even if they do other things that help the team.
You're the one spitting venom. I said he has some offensive talent and has made some amazing passes. Please read the post.

Quote:
Face it. He fits in with the team we have and is a contributor. If we weren't structured around a Czech/European mentality he might be a non-contributor or worse. But we are structured that way.
Not even sure what the Czech/European thing has to do with this. Whether he plays well or plays poorly has nothing to do with his nationality.

Dude, relax. Oh, and read the post.

Old
04-04-2007, 03:15 PM
mattyd99

Is anyone really surprised by this? I don't know how he does it and I don't even care anymore how he does it. Malik is just this enigma where he'll make a mistake and the other team won't score and then he'll make a good outlet pass out of the zone and we end up scoring. I don't know if he's good or just lucky anymore. No matter what it is I always get a good laugh at the guy during the game.

mattyd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 03:20 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
Like the person who started this post suggested, Malik is a +31 because he always plays with the Jagr line.

Girardi always plays with our 3rd or 4th line. Put Girardi with the Jagr line and he'll be a +31 too! Maybe better!

I'll be rather upset if we keep Malik for much longer...he sucks
You got the answer right there and you guys still refuse to understand what Malik is.

Do you guys honestly think that the Jagr line with Malik & Rosy are whats hurting this team?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 03:26 PM
NYROrtsFan

Malik has been worse off the last week or so, but the bottom line is that good things happen with him on the ice.

Who cares why? Does it really matter? As long as the Rangers score when he's on the ice and the other team doesn't, then that is all that matters. By luck or whatever else, good things happen when Malik is out there.

Think its time for people to back off.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 03:32 PM
in the hall

Quote:

Maybe some folks who don't appreciate him are wrong?

Nah, can't be that.

What was I thinking.
Oh shut up

This guy sucks. He always gives the puck up in his own zone, and nearly every game i have gone to this season he has done something to frustrate me

Old
04-04-2007, 03:33 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4 View Post
Nobody said he's stinking up the joint on a regular basis. I said he's been playing OK but he played poorly last night. Please read the post.
I wasn't referring to you and to deny that comments say he stinks appear regularly is to deny reality. Look within this thread. Hell, one of the moderators here said just that in another thread.

Quote:
What's so denigrating? I'm sorry I said he played badly last night. I only said that because he did do a few things 'remotely wrong' last night, along with a lot of his teammates.

But thanks for calling us all stupid, idiots, and brain damaged.
Perhaps it's you who is not reading what someone else wrote. I wrote that the idiots at the Garden boo him before he does anything wrong. Folks here are not at the Garden when they are typing, at least I don't think they are.

Quote:
You're the one spitting venom. I said he has some offensive talent and has made some amazing passes. Please read the post.
I wasn't talking to you. If I quoted you and replied to it I understand the misunderstanding on your part. That would be my fault. If I didn't reply to you then you are reacting to something not directed at you.

Quote:
Not even sure what the Czech/European thing has to do with this. Whether he plays well or plays poorly has nothing to do with his nationality.
Geez. Nothing to do with their nationality. Has to do with the difference in style of play between the Czechs on our team and a North American style.

Quote:
Dude, relax. Oh, and read the post.
I think you have made a few errors in your evaluation of what I wrote, not the other way around.

Old
04-04-2007, 03:37 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 03:39 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
Oh shut up

This guy sucks. He always gives the puck up in his own zone, and nearly every game i have gone to this season he has done something to frustrate me
Telling me to Shut up on the Internet is weak.

Maybe you're frustrated for other reasons.

Old
04-04-2007, 03:39 PM
NYRSinceBirth

Malik is a joke. He is so slow tothe puck, get's beat easily to the puck, and plays way to consevative. He hates to hit, and is always looking to absorb or avoid a hit instead of just playing. He does make good decisions offensively sometimes, such as his outlet passes and a decent shot, but damn, he is difficult to watch.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 03:40 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
wow, that was just about the dumbest post you could have made in this thread on which is designated for debate

Old
04-04-2007, 03:42 PM
dave4

Quote:

Perhaps it's you who is not reading what someone else wrote. I wrote that the idiots at the Garden boo him before he does anything wrong. Folks here are not at the Garden when they are typing, at least I don't think they are.
Well I'm one of the idiots at the Garden, and I've booed Malik and virtually every other player on the team at some point.

I'm the one that started this 'inevitable denigrating thread', and NOBODY said anything like 'Malik sucks' until you went on your rant.

Take a look at the posts before and after yours...big difference. Like I said you took a thread that had an observation about Malik and +/- and turned it into a battle.

And do you really thing Malik did nothing 'remotely wrong' last night? Do you think he played well last night?

Old
04-04-2007, 03:43 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Telling me to Shut up on the Internet is weak.

Maybe you're frustrated for other reasons.

yes, its weak to tell you to shut up on the internet.. uhuh

ok how does this sound.. you have no credability, everything you wrote makes you look like an idiot, so save me the grief of reading your crap and don't post again

much appreciated, thanks

Old
04-04-2007, 03:47 PM
Fletch

Chosen...

I guess the question would be do you think he played well defensively last night.

There have been many nights where Malik was this team's worst defenseman yet comes up a plus. When you're out there with Jagr mostly, and with Lundqvist behind you that's going to happen often. I mean, Lundqvist is going to make 30 saves per game - many of them quality saves - so just because the minus didn't happen doesn't mean Malik didn't turnover the puck with a pass up the middle in the defensive zone that resulted in a quality scoring chance against.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 03:50 PM
chosen

Quote:
Well I'm one of the idiots at the Garden, and I've booed Malik and virtually every other player on the team at some point.

I'm the one that started this 'inevitable denigrating thread', and NOBODY said anything like 'Malik sucks' until you went on your rant.

Take a look at the posts before and after yours...big difference. Like I said you took a thread that had an observation about Malik and +/- and turned it into a battle.

And do you really thing Malik did nothing 'remotely wrong' last night? Do you think he played well last night?
Booing someone before they do anything is idiotic and counterproductive. I have no problem with anyone booing someone after the fact but Malik gets booed the first time he touches the puck at every single home game. If he starts the game he even gets booed in the intros.

You can't name one other Ranger who gets booed as soon as he touches the puck.

As to who you have booed or not booed I will guess that you have never booed Orr or Avery.

Blaming me for arguments revolving around Malik is ridiculous. A day has not gone by in this chat area this season without someone telling us how terrible Malik is. Usually multiple times by multiple participants. It's a fact of life here.

As to last night's game, I don't think Malik played particularly well or poorly.

Do you agree that Malik meshes well with the other Czechs on the ice?

Old
04-04-2007, 03:51 PM
dave4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I guess the question would be do you think he played well defensively last night.

There have been many nights where Malik was this team's worst defenseman yet comes up a plus. When you're out there with Jagr mostly, and with Lundqvist behind you that's going to happen often. I mean, Lundqvist is going to make 30 saves per game - many of them quality saves - so just because the minus didn't happen doesn't mean Malik didn't turnover the puck with a pass up the middle in the defensive zone that resulted in a quality scoring chance against.
Which game was it over the weekend where Malik went totally out of position, running to the far corner during a PK, and left a guy open in front to score a goal. No minus, of course, we were shorthanded, but a brutal play nonetheless.

Old
04-04-2007, 03:54 PM
cringer

To play devil's advocate...

In 142 games played for the Rangers, Malik is +59.

Prior to the lockout in 147 games for the Canucks he wsas +58.

Are those gawdy +/- nubmers really just from good fortune of who happens to be on the ice with him? Thats pretty consistent luck for 4 straight seasons now.

cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 03:56 PM
dave4

Quote:

As to last night's game, I don't think Malik played particularly well or poorly.

Do you agree that Malik meshes well with the other Czechs on the ice?
I agree he's lucky to be able to play with Jagr's line so much. And I think a lot of defensemen would 'mesh' well with the Jagr line. It's not like Malik is joining the rush like Brian Leetch did with Messier, he stays at the point while those guys cycle and look for a scoring opportunity. Like I said, he does make some nice outlet passes, though.

I do think his +31 makes him seem better than he really is. Put him out there with the Betts line last night and he's quite possibly -2, just like Girardi and Strudwick. And definitely not +2.

I'd like to see what Tyutin's +/- would be if he played with Jagr the whole season, and didn't get injured.