Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2004, 10:19 PM
OttMorrow

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to OttMorrow
Steve Gainey Finally Gone!

Traded to the Flyers for Mike Siklenka.

Anyone know who this guy is? I know he can't be good since he got swapped for Gainey but I'd still like to know who he is.

Old
02-17-2004, 10:21 AM
Al Alven

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Al Alven
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttMorrow
Traded to the Flyers for Mike Siklenka.

Anyone know who this guy is? I know he can't be good since he got swapped for Gainey but I'd still like to know who he is.
Siklenka is a big, burly enforcer type. He has some skill, but his primary asset is his toughness.

For some reason, he had been a pet project of sorts of Ken Hitchcock while with Philly. He played in only one game with the Flyers over the past two seasons, and eventually proved that he wasn't even remotely NHL material.

He's strickly a minor leaguer, but he will provide toughness and protection for the kids in Utah. Pound for pound, he may be one of the stronger players in the AHL, and he is good at digging for the puck along the boards and behind the net.

Siklenka had become somewhat stale in Philly, as the Phantoms couldn't seem to find a role for him this season. He really needed a change of pace, so maybe this deal will be good for him.

As for Gainey, can anyone tell me what his contract status is? How many years does he have left, and when did he ink his last deal?

Closed Thread