HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nylander vs Briere

Old
04-04-2007, 09:35 AM
NoCurse94

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to NoCurse94
Nylander vs Briere

I know this may seem like a no brainer from a personnel perspective long-term, but do you think the Rangers are better off giving (will be 35 by 07-08 season) Nylander 2 more years with Jagr or throw a boatload of money at (will be 30 by 07-08 season)Briere or possibly a 3rd route? Jagr clearly has chemistry with Nylander and although Briere in theory would be an upgrade, it's possible Jagr could be unhappy with that move and we know an unhappy Jagr, is not a good thing. Thoughts?

NoCurse94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 09:46 AM
JR#9*

I think re-upping Nyls for another 2 yrs is an absolute no-brainer.

He has been maybe the best bargain for the last 2 yrs in the NHL and he shows no signs of slowing down, especially with him and Jagr having the chemistry they do.

The other good thing about resigning him soon will be that he doesn't turn 35 until training camp next year so the 35 and over rules in regard to the cap wouldn't apply which is always nice.

As for Briere I'd love to take a run at him this summer as well and we'd have a 1-1a situation as far as the top 2 lines.

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 09:46 AM
Onion Boy

Nylander. More bang for buck plus Jagr likes him.

Gotta keep JJ happy.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 09:48 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Nylander. Proven he can play here and will cost less.

04-04-2007, 09:57 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9 View Post
He has been maybe the best bargain for the last 2 yrs in the NHL and he shows no signs of slowing down, especially with him and Jagr having the chemistry they do.
I am a big fan of Nyls. But I had my doubts though around dec-jan this season, he looked worn out, he didn't have that last edge in his skating.

Though, he is playing better now then ever, he is skating better then ever. He have almost not missed any hockey for two straight seasons.

If he can peak physically at this period of the season, I have no doubt that he will be able to perform for 2 more seasons.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 10:02 AM
NoCurse94

Send a message via AIM to NoCurse94
nylander is having a career yr and will require a significant raise. just playing devil's advocate, especially since this team was disappointing for most of the season

NoCurse94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 10:04 AM
Fletch

Nylander...

gives the team flexibility for other players, if he does indeed sign to a 'lower' contract. Sather kind of f'd that one up by not exercising the option over the Summer for a lower amount.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 10:09 AM
philbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I am a big fan of Nyls. But I had my doubts though around dec-jan this season, he looked worn out, he didn't have that last edge in his skating.

Though, he is playing better now then ever, he is skating better then ever. He have almost not missed any hockey for two straight seasons.

If he can peak physically at this period of the season, I have no doubt that he will be able to perform for 2 more seasons.
I agree w/ Ola, also if we really can sustain balanced scoring from lines 2 & 3, that will take considerable pressure off JJ-NYLS-HOSSA, saving them the burnout of carrying the team all season. He would be a bargain at that price.

Also NYLS is not an idiot he knows he won't get anywhere near the numbers playing w/ someone other than JJ, so it's his best option as well.

philbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 10:22 AM
McRanger

Gotta go with Nylander.

As much as I am not a fan of him and his constant reversals, rink turns, excessive passing etc etc etc, there is no denying his production and the fact that he fits with the current makeup of the team.

Sign Nylander and Shanny, pencil Straka in as 2nd line center until Dubinsky is ready for full time work.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 11:11 AM
eco's bones

Nylander can be frustrating but there's no denying he has chemistry with Jagr and also Straka when he's on the same line. Briere would be good but I don't see him as a setup guy so much. He would solve the 2nd line problem I would think though--since most players don't want to play in Buffalo anyway (recent NHL players poll) we could take a shot at him.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 11:19 AM
BigE

I'd love to sign Briere to play along with Shanny, but can you afford to sign a guy for 6+ and have him play second line center? He's no doubt better than Nylander, but if Jagr gets top minutes, so will Nyls.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 12:00 PM
ThirdEye

I think it's a huge question mark as to how Briere will perform here either way. I honestly think Nylander would still put up better numbers exclusively because of the chemistry he's developed here. Briere might be having his best season, but so is Buffalo. I'm not sure you can expect him to sign with us and play as good as he has this season. Not to mention how much we will cost. I do like him a lot, but it's not worth it imo

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 12:04 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/nyr.html

I like using this.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 01:19 PM
towely

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post

maybe he was worn out due to the new arrival ( baby ) in his family i was when my kids were born and so were all of my freinds when they had kids too the guy's human just like you and me.

i have been a big fan of nyls since day one and last year he had his best year as a pro and this year topped that the guy is getting better every year not to mention he is a class act that pretty much shys away from the attention and works his butt off.

towely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 01:26 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

I think that we should explore the option of BOTH Nylander and Briere

With Nylander the defacto 1st line center due to already mentioned chemistry with Jagr, Briere would look awesome playing between either Shanny and Callahan or Avery and Callahan.

If the money's right for Nylander, I think making a play for either Daniel or Scotty G should be on the off-season's menu

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 01:26 PM
TomLaidlaw

I think resigning Nylander is a must. If we can do it for 3.5 - 4.0 for 2 years I think we have to do it. His age really doesn't worry me because of hsi style of play. Nylander rarely ever takes a huge hit because of his low center of gravity and his ability to position his body correctly. Think about how much time Nylander has control of the puck on the ice and how many HUGE hits he has absorbed, i could probably count them on 1 hand.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 02:12 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
I feel that Briere has much more upside and is already the better player. He is a better goal scorer, and is still a good playmaker, plus he's younger. I would love Briere to be a Ranger next season. I swear to god Nylander frustrates the hell out of me.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 02:22 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Do you really want the Briere diving show in NYC?

He's a talented hockey player, no question there but I can't stand his overacting.

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 02:58 PM
uvm44

Why is no one talking about Drury? Isn't he a free agent at the end of the season? I think he would be a better fit for less money than Briere.

uvm44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 03:02 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by uvm44 View Post
Why is no one talking about Drury? Isn't he a free agent at the end of the season? I think he would be a better fit for less money than Briere.
I prefer Drury as well. I don't think he will get less money than Briere though.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 03:06 PM
RangerSteve

Send a message via MSN to RangerSteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I prefer Drury as well. I don't think he will get less money than Briere though.
They're both going to have their money but I'd love Drury.

RangerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 03:10 PM
uvm44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Well, I'm hoping that he does. Briere is looking at 100 points this season, Drury needs a couple to crack 70. Briere is 29, Drury is 30. Drury is a solid second line center and a great penalty killer, but as far as goals go he is a streaky (albiet clutch) goal scorer. While Drury and Briere are both having career years as far as scoring goes, Briere obviously has more offensive upside.

Buffalo is fairly deep at center, especially if they can get Connolly back and playing at a high level. I'm hoping they opt to go after Briere, and we can keep Nylander and make a move for Drury.

How about Drury centering Shanny and Callahan next season?

uvm44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 03:29 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
thanks for the site

personally i say keep # 92

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 04:17 PM
LeetchIsGod2

Send a message via AIM to LeetchIsGod2
how bout either Pavel Datsyuk or Robert Lang both Centers and UFA from Detroit only problem is Lang is 35 but Datsyuk is 27

LeetchIsGod2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 04:22 PM
LeetchIsGod2

Send a message via AIM to LeetchIsGod2
Oh and dont forget Lindros Is A UFA this Year Too maybe we might be lucky enuff to land him

LeetchIsGod2 is offline   Reply With Quote