HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

sam rosen...

Old
04-04-2007, 04:13 PM
harlemhockey

vCash: 500
sam rosen...

has he lost a little off his fast ball?

harlemhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 04:17 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlemhockey View Post
Yeah, he forgets some stuff and stumbles on some players names but hes done a fantastic job night in night out for the Rangers for 23 years. Give him a break, everybody gets old sooner or later.

Hes been sportscasting since 1970.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 04:18 PM
SML

I think he's a little lost without JD. I think we all lose track of just how much those two read off each other and correcteed each other when they made a mistake. Michelletti doesn't do that, and more often than not, he's wrong about what he says, whether it be the goalie getting a piece of a shot, a deflection, who gets the assists, the guy is always off base.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 04:22 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
I think he's a little lost without JD. I think we all lose track of just how much those two read off each other and correcteed each other when they made a mistake. Michelletti doesn't do that, and more often than not, he's wrong about what he says, whether it be the goalie getting a piece of a shot, a deflection, who gets the assists, the guy is always off base.
Always? Come on give Joe Mich a break its his first year and he's taking over for a legend.

Sam has had a few brain cramps this year, but still he's one if not the best in the business.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 04:23 PM
Doshell Propivo

It's tough to accept from a fan's POV. I remember growing up watching/listening to Eddie Westfall doing the Isles games and it became sad (and a tad embarassing) as he got older.

Getting old sucks...

Doshell Propivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 04:25 PM
uvm44

I personally have never liked him very much as an announcer. Listening to Rosen and JD laugh about golf during the late 90's and early 2000's was pretty unbearable, I had a hard time chuckling while the Rangers were losing.

For that matter, I can't stand Fischler or that other guy whose name I have refused to learn who is on in between periods on MSG. His insightful commentary on the role of fighting in hockey (combined with Rosen's for that matter), forced me to watch the rest of the game on mute.

uvm44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 04:28 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by uvm44 View Post
I personally have never liked him very much as an announcer. Listening to Rosen and JD laugh about golf during the late 90's and early 2000's was pretty unbearable, I had a hard time chuckling while the Rangers were losing.

For that matter, I can't stand Fischler or that other guy whose name I have refused to learn who is on in between periods on MSG. His insightful commentary on the role of fighting in hockey (combined with Rosen's for that matter), forced me to watch the rest of the game on mute.
Yeah, they're so professional, how dare they !?

Old
04-04-2007, 04:31 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Last night when he said Jagrs shot went in, only for Dubi to then run out of the net caused me a mild heart attack.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 04:32 PM
uvm44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Yeah, they're so professional, how dare they !?
We all have our preferences I guess. I thought that was the point of this thread. I would take the guys who do the games on CBC over Sam/JD or Sam/Joe any day of the week. Feel free to disagree.

Old
04-04-2007, 04:38 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlemhockey View Post
I think so

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 04:38 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
Definitely true... even if Sam is forgetting (which I haven't noticed), his eyes are much better than Micheletti's (who is trying and I kind of have empathy for... it's never an easy thing, especially when you're asked to fill JD's shoes.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 04:41 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
We all have our preferences I guess. I thought that was the point of this thread. I would take the guys who do the games on CBC over Sam/JD or Sam/Joe any day of the week. Feel free to disagree.
Well, during those awful years what else were they gonna say? They didn't like the losing anymore than we did, but they were professionals.

And yeah, Rosen & Giannone got upset that yet another player was seriously hurt on the ice so they spoke up about it. His opinion is different from some, but he had every right to voice it, just like you have that right to turn off the sound.

CBC? Hmm, pretty entertaining calls <YAWN>

Old
04-04-2007, 04:42 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:

Everyone hates Fischler and I don't get it. He does say things people tend to disagree on, but he's knowledgeable, passionate and hilarious, IMO.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 04:48 PM
uvm44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Well, during those awful years what else were they gonna say? They didn't like the losing anymore than we did, but they were professionals.

And yeah, Rosen & Giannone got upset that yet another player was seriously hurt on the ice so they spoke up about it. His opinion is different from some, but he had every right to voice it, just like you have that right to turn off the sound.

CBC? Hmm, pretty entertaining calls <YAWN>
1) They were in a tough spot. I'm not saying they had a lot of good options.

2) Sure, they have a right to voice it. This thread is about personal opinions.

3) I'm sorry you haven't developed an appreciation for a good Oilers v. Flames game on Hockey Night in Canada. I think you're missing out.

Old
04-04-2007, 04:51 PM
uvm44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
Everyone hates Fischler and I don't get it. He does say things people tend to disagree on, but he's knowledgeable, passionate and hilarious, IMO.
For whatever reason, I can't help but perceive Fischler as anything but a self-important, condescending jerk. There are lots of people who feel the same way. TV is a personality game, and his personality=fail imo.

Old
04-04-2007, 04:54 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
1) They were in a tough spot. I'm not saying they had a lot of good options.

2) Sure, they have a right to voice it. This thread is about personal opinions.

3) I'm sorry you haven't developed an appreciation for a good Oilers v. Flames game on Hockey Night in Canada. I think you're missing out.
Yeah, its fine to have an opinion, but i was still caugt up in the 'is he slipping' deal.

3) I don't get to see enough of those games these days though I wish I could. To me, those announcers are some of the smartest around, but for some reason they put me to sleep most nights.

Old
04-04-2007, 05:06 PM
Plato

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingHenrik35 View Post
Last night when he said Jagrs shot went in, only for Dubi to then run out of the net caused me a mild heart attack.
same thing happened to me
i almost passed out

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 05:13 PM
gaels22

michiletti is such a homer i love it

gaels22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 05:14 PM
RFAN

Sam had a brutal night, with the Jagr no goal, goal call, to the Fishstick out not out call. It got to hard for Sam, JD was the guy who filled the dead air, Joe doesn't do it so much.

RFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 05:17 PM
RangerSteve

Send a message via MSN to RangerSteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaels22 View Post
michiletti is such a homer i love it
My favorite Micheletti line of the year happened on that Sunday afternoon game vs the Isles.

Joe: "Sam, I don't like how this line is staying out there so long they're going to get tired. Jagr I can understand staying out for long shifts because he preserves energy."

Translation: "Jagr I can understand stay out for long shifts because he doesn't skate 150% hard every shift."

RangerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 05:40 PM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
I thought I was the only one who noticed this....

Does not seem as sharp as he used to be... he still does well and hopefully he gets with it a bit more and teh mental lapses stop..

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 05:46 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Yes he has. It obvious he doesn't work as hard preparing for games as he used to. Age does that to you. I also agree with those who think Micheletti is part of the problem. Joe just doesn't bring a whole lot to the table. So and So is playing well tonight. So and so is invisible -- that's all I ever seem to hear.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 05:58 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karel View Post
It's tough to accept from a fan's POV. I remember growing up watching/listening to Eddie Westfall doing the Isles games and it became sad (and a tad embarassing) as he got older.

Getting old sucks...

This pretty much sums it up. I love Sam to death and always will but the guy has been really off this year. Last game was kinda a culmination of an entire year. Most games it's not major stuff that he gets wrong like he did last game with he islanders not really elimated and the jagr shootout. Most of the time this year he has had a rough time with penalites being called, alot of times he'll say there was a whistle because of an offside or a hand pass when actually there is a penalty and you can almost sense Joe M correcting him in the booth.
Sam has never been good at calling "saves" especially during the Richter era, if the shot counter went by Sam Rosen "save by richter" Richter would have faced 75 shots a game. I am immune to that though. I just think Hockey is the hardest game to call play by play for because of the high speed. I never notice that many errors when Sam does football maybe because he has time to collect his thoughts in between each play. Regardless, considering what Sam has meant to the Rangers i am willing to overlook all the mistakes and not get on him for it.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 06:04 PM
BJo

It's not Rosen's fault the graphics people messed up. The graphic was wrong and thats why he said the isles were done. I don't blame him for that.

BJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 06:50 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjoelson View Post
It's not Rosen's fault the graphics people messed up. The graphic was wrong and thats why he said the isles were done. I don't blame him for that.
That's something you should know if you're announcing a game of this magnitude between two rivlas this late in the season. Even Russo made a good point about this today. It's not like they were playing some Western Conference team and Sam was a little oblivous to things (even in that case he should know the deal if he's going to be doing the game...they should do their homework) They were playing the Isles. A huge rival. A team in the same market as them. It's not like he said it once either, he said it multiple times. I like Sam a lot but that was a pretty dumb blunder.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote