HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Al Montoya [2 years/1.05M]

Old
07-01-2014, 11:10 PM
CanadianPantherFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Beinfest View Post
In all fairness, I don't think our defense is necessarily better than anyone else's defense. Especially given how bad it was last season.
Ekblad/Mitchell plus Guds entering prime years for a defender now... the defense WITH Luongo/Montoya combo in net should be solid. Plus Tallon says he wants another signing on the blueline (not sure if that's even needed with Olsen/Petrovic/Robak/Racine/Weeger as solid 6th-7th options). I can see Campbell moving on in the next year or so now with Matheson not too far away.

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 11:29 PM
flapanthersfan

Great signing.

Not even because Montoya is anything special, but because it sends Dan Ellis to San Antonio.

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 12:11 AM
JetsFan815

Great signing for you guys. A lot of us Jets fans felt that Montoya is good enough to be an NHL starter who was never given a fair shot.

JetsFan815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 12:27 AM
Dr Beinfest

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPantherFan View Post
Ekblad/Mitchell plus Guds entering prime years for a defender now... the defense WITH Luongo/Montoya combo in net should be solid. Plus Tallon says he wants another signing on the blueline (not sure if that's even needed with Olsen/Petrovic/Robak/Racine/Weeger as solid 6th-7th options). I can see Campbell moving on in the next year or so now with Matheson not too far away.
22 is not a prime year for a defender, and Gudbranson has shown nothing of being a solid NHL defender yet.

Our defense was worse than Winnipeg's last season. Bottom line. Now... it's just decent on paper. Let's see what Ekblad can do as a rookie. Let's see how Gudbranson progresses. There's a lot of variables in play here. Don't rely on our on paper defense to somehow make Montoya better.

Dr Beinfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 01:46 AM
CanadianPantherFan

Quote:
22 is not a prime year for a defender, and Gudbranson has shown nothing of being a solid NHL defender yet.

Our defense was worse than Winnipeg's last season. Bottom line. Now... it's just decent on paper. Let's see what Ekblad can do as a rookie. Let's see how Gudbranson progresses. There's a lot of variables in play here. Don't rely on our on paper defense to somehow make Montoya better.
No I get what you are saying. But then everyone complaining about our forwards on PAPER can work out opposite too (Flash bounces back, Bolland stays healthy and beasts it up, Upshall is not made of glass after all etc). See what I did there

Old
07-02-2014, 09:00 AM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by klabob View Post
A 6'7 fast physical and responsible centers don't grow on tree. Where you thinking about Dan Boyle?
No, I was thinking that we had no need for Brian Boyle considering we already had 4 C's at the time of your post.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 10:04 AM
Dr Beinfest

Quote:
No I get what you are saying. But then everyone complaining about our forwards on PAPER can work out opposite too (Flash bounces back, Bolland stays healthy and beasts it up, Upshall is not made of glass after all etc). See what I did there
Definitely, but at that point I think it's best to not speak and sound so certain :p

Old
07-02-2014, 12:14 PM
CanadianPantherFan

Quote:
Definitely, but at that point I think it's best to not speak and sound so certain :p
Ya. I won't speak and let others who know more about the game speak on "other stuff"

Old
07-02-2014, 12:30 PM
klabob

Quote:
We could have the 2012 luck again. That year multiple players had career years, both our goaltender were very good and Campbell was giving a damn. Here's to hope! We just need a good start and maybe it will motivate the players.

klabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 12:36 PM
Dr Beinfest

Quote:
Ya. I won't speak and let others who know more about the game speak on "other stuff"

Relax. Clearly you interpreted that as me telling you to not speak... that was one continuous thought, not a list. No Oxford comma.

Old
07-04-2014, 04:05 AM
ucanthanzalthetruth
Kiddin' Around

vCash: 50
This guy was on my dream wish list, I thought for sure we'd be stuck with Ellis. Really good player that didn't get a shot till recently. Could be a starter on some bad teams.

ucanthanzalthetruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 09:36 AM
Cats2TheCup

Bringing in Montoya is such a great move. I brought this up a few weeks ago, but if our backup goalie plays 15 or 20 games that could be the difference between 30&40 pts in the standings. With Ellis in net we could have kissed our playoff hopes goodbye before the season even began. But now Montoya gives us a fighting chance. This is such an underrated signing IMO.

Cats2TheCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 04:59 PM
BigNickBjugstad

Really happy with this signing.

As others have said, it gives us good back up.

I would have been terrified if Lou had gone down injured and Ellis was our starter!

BigNickBjugstad is offline   Reply With Quote