HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

04/03 - Kings vs Canucks @ General Motors Place

Old
04-04-2007, 03:08 AM
dabeechman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
Sorry, I wouldn't know. I've never even gotten a warning
Lucky for us I'm an *******

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 03:14 AM
cc

JJ looks great. He created chances and generally tried to make a difference out there. He moves the puck well, strong on his skates, and very mobile. He seems to have great instincts and seems to know when to jump up into play. He made mistakes but that will get corrected in little time. Kings future looks so bright, it's sickening.

cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 03:47 AM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

We got Modry out there. We need Clouts back.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 01:14 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
How is winning a couple of meaningless games at the end of a meaningless season a great goal? Getting the opportunity to draft someone who could possibly put this team into a position where they could actually win a Stanley Cup in the next decade seems like a far more worthy goal.

If the Kings were actually in a position to make a push for the playoffs the opinions of many here would be vastly different. But since that is no longer an option then putting the team in the best position to improve for the future seems like a worthy thing to "encourage".
What you are really talking about is tanking games. Couching it in terms of "playing the kids" or whatever, is really just a smokescreen. Hell, if finishing last is the goal, why aren't we calling up guys from Reading or Bakersfield or the local beer league? I certainly understand WHY people want higher picks, but that should always be the result of a crappy season, not the goal at any point.

To me, advocating throwing games for an ulterior motive crosses the line of what sports are all about. Any organization, coach or player who does that is permanantly tainted, be it publicly or within their own conscience. That said, happily I see no sign from the Kings organization or players that this is happening. What I do see here are fans criticizing the team for apparently still trying to win games.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 01:40 PM
Jebus
That boulder?

I agree. I can understand looking at the bright side after a loss, but not hoping for a loss before the game is even played just so we have a slightly better chance and getting a player who may or may not have an impact years from now. All I'm hoping for that the teams ahead of us don't draft the player DL wants, which I think is quite possible in this years draft regardless of picking 3rd, 4th or 5th.
When we beat the Pens in the cup finals in '09,'10 and '11 I'll be glad that we built the team through good trades and strong drafting outside the top 3.

Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 02:43 PM
Brodie562

Personally at this point in the season im just watching anyone under the age of 25 and hoping the find their way onto the scoresheet. The ice time they get is more important then anything else.

Brodie562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 08:56 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
What you are really talking about is tanking games. Couching it in terms of "playing the kids" or whatever, is really just a smokescreen. Hell, if finishing last is the goal, why aren't we calling up guys from Reading or Bakersfield or the local beer league? I certainly understand WHY people want higher picks, but that should always be the result of a crappy season, not the goal at any point.

To me, advocating throwing games for an ulterior motive crosses the line of what sports are all about. Any organization, coach or player who does that is permanantly tainted, be it publicly or within their own conscience. That said, happily I see no sign from the Kings organization or players that this is happening. What I do see here are fans criticizing the team for apparently still trying to win games.
I think you are missing my point entirely. I think that Lombardi/Crawford's #1 goal right now should be creating chemistry with the long-term players of this team. That means giving less ice time to those players that more than likely will not be here next season. It also means giving more ice time to players who are inexperienced and need to be put in more unfamiliar situations to see how they adapt. This will probably result in losses but is better for the future development of this team. I would not see that as "tanking". But at this point I would welcome a loss more than a win because it will also put the team in a better position to be successful in future seasons. I don't see how that makes me less of a fan.

In fact a lot of the "fans" who have that "win now at the expense of the future" attitude are part of the reason the Kings have never achieved success in the NHL. Management had the same opinion that putting your faith in an uncertain prospect who "may or may not" help the team was not worth it and proceeded to trade away draft picks for "proven" veterans. Look at where that has gotten this franchise. I for one would have liked to have seen what Ray Bourque et al could have contributed to this team. But he was an "uncertain" risk because he was a kid that may have never amounted to anything. We all know how that has turned out.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 09:08 PM
Quattro

Squid, my post wasn't targeted at you specifically although I did quote your post. I should have clarified that. You make excellent points. I am certainly not a "win now at the expense of the future" person, either. It's a fine line. I just think the rooting for losses thing is a slippery slope I wouldn't want to go near.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote