HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nashville Aquires James Neal from Pittsburgh for Patric Hornqvist and Nick Spaling

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-01-2014, 11:00 AM
  #276
Byrddog
Registered User
 
Byrddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,868
vCash: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
either.

Both played about 16:20 a game.
Smiths is easier to explain since he does not play a lick of defense and the team was 4th in the league in PK minutes that hurt him there and to a lesser effect Wilson as well.

That will also be a task Lavy will need to address we will miss Spaling on the PK and Goose and Fish will have even more minutes on the PK if things do not change.

There was much said about the increase in minutes Goose played but the PK was a big part of it. Even the number of faceoffs he took on the PP added to his minutes.

Cutiting down the PK is a must Neal will need to reduce his PIM's to lower than Horni"s level just to remain equal to last season. It is doable

Byrddog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 12:32 AM
  #277
maplepred
Registered User
 
maplepred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,700
vCash: 500
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=724674&cmpid=nhl-fb

Looks like Neal is ready to tear it up as a pred!!


Last edited by maplepred: 07-02-2014 at 11:33 AM.
maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 09:41 AM
  #278
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,559
vCash: 500
Centers for James Neal (not all goals scored with this center but got most of his points with this center):

2008-2009 - 24 goals in 77 games with Mike Modano
2009-2010 - 27 goals in 78 games with Brad Richards
2010 - 2011 - 21 goals in 59 games with Brad Richards
2010 - 2011 - 1 goal in 20 games with Jordan Staal
2011 - 2012 - 40 goals in 80 games with Evgeni Malkin
2012 - 2013 - 21 goals in 40 games with Evgeni Malkin (although 9% of his points came from playing the PP with Crosby, Malkin, Kunitz)
2013 - 2014 - 27 goals in 59 games with Evengi Malkin

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 10:05 AM
  #279
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 19,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
Smiths is easier to explain since he does not play a lick of defense and the team was 4th in the league in PK minutes that hurt him there and to a lesser effect Wilson as well.

That will also be a task Lavy will need to address we will miss Spaling on the PK and Goose and Fish will have even more minutes on the PK if things do not change.

There was much said about the increase in minutes Goose played but the PK was a big part of it. Even the number of faceoffs he took on the PP added to his minutes.

Cutiting down the PK is a must Neal will need to reduce his PIM's to lower than Horni"s level just to remain equal to last season. It is doable
Nashville had 398:31 minutes in penalty kill time last season, only 4 teams had fewer.

We had the 4th least times being shorthanded, not the 4th most, you're reading it wrong.

So your statement that we spent the 4th most time on the penalty kill in the league is not accurate.

Smith's even strength numbers put him at about 104th. I guess technically that's the bottom of the top 6 (120th rank)

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 03:10 PM
  #280
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,559
vCash: 500
I'm sure James Neal is pumped going from Malkin to Jokinen. Surely that'll help him make up the difference in goals lost from Hornqvist!

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 03:24 PM
  #281
Kamikazepants
Registered User
 
Kamikazepants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarnberg View Post
I'm sure James Neal is pumped going from Malkin to Jokinen. Surely that'll help him make up the difference in goals lost from Hornqvist!
Good thing Neal won't be anywhere near the third line then.

Kamikazepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 09:52 PM
  #282
RCola88
Registered User
 
RCola88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 1,033
vCash: 500
Don''t know if this was posted, but I just read our package for Spezza was Hornqvist + 11th pick. Im okay with it not going through now, means we probably would have not gotten Neal. So we would be in the same boat, except looking to fill a winger position instead

Quote:
Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun -
"Senators GM Bryan Murray wasn’t too happy that he couldn’t move Jason Spezza for a deal that included the Predators first round pick and Patric Hornqvist."
So Neal + Fiala for Hornqvist + Spaling? Ill take that every day.

RCola88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 10:09 PM
  #283
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 11,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCola88 View Post
Don''t know if this was posted, but I just read our package for Spezza was Hornqvist + 11th pick. Im okay with it not going through now, means we probably would have not gotten Neal. So we would be in the same boat, except looking to fill a winger position instead



So Neal + Fiala for Hornqvist + Spaling? Ill take that every day.
Seeing what Spezza actually went for, either Poile was grossly overpaying or that rumor was wrong (it's been quoted from multiple sources).

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 10:21 PM
  #284
PredsV82
No
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Grumpyville
Country: St Kitts and Nevis
Posts: 17,012
vCash: 130
If those rumors are correct then Lavy must have told Poile to get rid of Hornqvist because that would have been a Godawful overpayment for a one year rental. Thank you Spezza, for saving us from ourselves. The Neal trade is substantially better

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 08:13 PM
  #285
token grinder
formerly sirryan189
 
token grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Franklin
Country: United States
Posts: 4,310
vCash: 500
I heard from a bird that the Ottawa offer was Ekholm and the 1st for Spezza, and had been on the table and agreed to for darn near a month.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 08:19 PM
  #286
Armourboy
Registered User
 
Armourboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,439
vCash: 500
Once again thank god Spezza turned it down.

Armourboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 08:34 PM
  #287
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cookeville TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I heard from a bird that the Ottawa offer was Ekholm and the 1st for Spezza, and had been on the table and agreed to for darn near a month.
Wow.

__________________
- Enoch -
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 08:52 PM
  #288
RCola88
Registered User
 
RCola88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 1,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I heard from a bird that the Ottawa offer was Ekholm and the 1st for Spezza, and had been on the table and agreed to for darn near a month.
Probably why word didn't come out about MDZ till after it was declined by Spezza

RCola88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 09:05 PM
  #289
AdmiralsFan24
Registered User
 
AdmiralsFan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 6,607
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I heard from a bird that the Ottawa offer was Ekholm and the 1st for Spezza, and had been on the table and agreed to for darn near a month.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 09:12 PM
  #290
klt2001
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,089
vCash: 500
http://video.predators.nhl.com/video...ole?catid=1501

klt2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 10:12 PM
  #291
Gnashville
Playoff losers
 
Gnashville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 5,929
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by klt2001 View Post
they almost got #22 and #23 for the 11th pick also but Poile wanted Fiala

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 10:36 PM
  #292
Predsboro
Registered User
 
Predsboro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
they almost got #22 and #23 for the 11th pick also but Poile wanted Fiala
yeah ... at least Poile stood his ground on the picks and kept 11 ...

Predsboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 10:16 AM
  #293
Filip Forceberg
Registered User
 
Filip Forceberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,802
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by klt2001 View Post
It's clear that they think Fiala is going to be something special.

Filip Forceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 07:58 PM
  #294
OpenWheel
Registered User
 
OpenWheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Keweenaw Peninsula
Country: United States
Posts: 1,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredaDORES View Post
It's clear that they think Fiala is going to be something special.
The last time Poile was high on a forward, it was Colin Wilson. ("We've been looking for a guy like him for a long time.")

Nice draft.

And getting Neal, even better. Best wishes to Hornquist and Spaling though, both good players and good guys.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 08:18 PM
  #295
RCola88
Registered User
 
RCola88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 1,033
vCash: 500
So was the deal Neal + 22 + 23 for Horqvist + Spaling + 11? And I assume when Poile said "he's our next star player" he was referring to Kevin Fiala?

RCola88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 08:38 PM
  #296
Privy
#ShutUpStu
 
Privy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCola88 View Post
So was the deal Neal + 22 + 23 for Horqvist + Spaling + 11? And I assume when Poile said "he's our next star player" he was referring to Kevin Fiala?
That's what it sounds like to me.

Edit - Poile mentions quantity over quality. I think he's referring to the draft picks. Not sure if Poile or Mario shot down the picks or if Rutherford couldn't get the second 1st. Either which way, I prefer how it turned out.

Privy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 08:44 PM
  #297
Preds33
Registered User
 
Preds33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Privy View Post
That's what it sounds like to me.

Edit - Poile mentions quantity over quality. I think he's referring to the draft picks. Not sure if Poile or Mario shot down the picks or if Rutherford couldn't get the second 1st. Either which way, I prefer how it turned out.

I'm pretty sure that Poile shot down the picks. I think he wanted Fiala that bad and knew he would be gone if he had to wait until 22.

Preds33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 08:54 PM
  #298
Privy
#ShutUpStu
 
Privy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
I'm pretty sure that Poile shot down the picks. I think he wanted Fiala that bad and knew he would be gone if he had to wait until 22.
I agree. Poile called the kid a "gamechanger". Everyone seems to think highly of Fiala. Looking at the forwards that would have been available, Poile made the right call.

Privy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 09:48 PM
  #299
Predsrule
Registered User
 
Predsrule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,723
vCash: 500
Anyone remember when the trade was done? Like after witch pick. I think Nylander and Ehlers were still not drafted at that point to be fair the star player could of been one of them and to save face he's talking up fala? Though seeing who was drafted at 22 and 23 would of been happy with that as well. In the end all things said and done we made out very well in tutus trade so all good.

Predsrule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 10:20 PM
  #300
PredsV82
No
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Grumpyville
Country: St Kitts and Nevis
Posts: 17,012
vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsrule View Post
Anyone remember when the trade was done? Like after witch pick. I think Nylander and Ehlers were still not drafted at that point to be fair the star player could of been one of them and to save face he's talking up fala? Though seeing who was drafted at 22 and 23 would of been happy with that as well. In the end all things said and done we made out very well in tutus trade so all good.
Well, afterwzrds Poike said they had identified Fiala back in December as someone they liked who looked to be available in the range where we were likely to be drafting, so I think it was Fiala all along

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:04 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.