HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Malik did it again

Old
04-04-2007, 09:45 PM
Radek27

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
yes, its weak to tell you to shut up on the internet.. uhuh

ok how does this sound.. you have no credability, everything you wrote makes you look like an idiot, so save me the grief of reading your crap and don't post again

much appreciated, thanks
Well I agree with everything he said, does that make me an idiot? Should I now stop posting here too cause I like Malik? And to be honest I don't think anyone even made a solid post to try and prove Chosen wrong because .......well he isn't.

Hall I been reading ur posts for a long time, I was kinda surprised to see u respond so nasty, what is it about Malik that brings out the anger in here lol.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 10:12 PM
NY Ranger86

malik sucks. i'm sorry. no hockey player frustrates me more than him. and i dont want to hear about his +'s....cmon. again, sorry. lol

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 10:28 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
Then get back on your high horse and go somewhere else. I'm sure you're too busy with your cool life to read this post so it is probably as much of a waste to the discussion as your's though.
Haha, exactly what I mean.

I DID read your post and was initially referring to nothing you said, so let's not get all heated over it.

I think the name-calling and telling one another to shut up is just juvenile. I've been told I "contribute nothing to this board." Why, because I don't sit in front of THN.com all day, hitting refresh so I can be the first to post a link? And, although some of us profess to be experts (retired or otherwise), we wouldn't be posting on this board if that were the case. That's why I'm always quick to defend Renney - the guy is the coach because he knows what he's doing.

I'm not saying don't question authority in general, but in this case I am.

Basically, let's allow the guys who make a living of this to get fired up about this. Debating is cool, but it's not like our pride is/should be on the line. Just saying.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 10:46 PM
tedtroll

Malik fits with the Jagr line. Jagr line = puck possession from defensive zone to offensive zone. Watch how Malik passes. There is no comparison between Malik's passing ability and Strudwick's or Girardi's. That's why he plays with Jagr. Even his give-aways are a result of the puck possession style. He sometimes holds the puck too long when trying to make a play. My problem/concern with Malik is he can't play PP, 4 on 4 because he is too slow.

tedtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 11:07 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

as the rodent says:

Quote:
Perhaps his plus-minus speaks well during the regular season... until you scrutinize the digits with a magnifying glass. More than half those chits came against the five worst defenses in the universe... The Kings, Bruins, Yotes, Caps and Flyers. All of these clubs yield at least 3.5 goals per game. None of whom represent the type of challenge New York will face in the postseason. All (but one) of whom score fewer than 2.7 goals per game. And the lone exception is Washington which ranks 18th in team offense.
Can't argue with stats

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 11:11 PM
NYROrtsFan

The other players play against those same teams...

And Malik is out there a lot with Jagr, but its not every single even strength shift.

People get on him for the same reason they got on Poti... They are fairly larger guys who are soft and don't show a ton of emotion. Same with Nedved.

People itch to get on Nylander because he's the same but he's just doing too well and getting paid too little.

Malik has his obvious faults but everything considered, he's an asset to this team. And his plus-minus has been good nearly his whole career.

NYROrtsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 09:10 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyF27 View Post
as the rodent says:

Can't argue with stats
As someone else already pointed out, the entire Rangers team plays the same opponents. The Rodent, in an effort to make a point, used a very narrow piece of statistics. In other words, it is nonsensical data.

I'm sure it is also possible to construct something like Prucha scored 32% of his goals against teams whose name begins with the letter "P" (not true). Therefore against teams that don't begin with the letter "P" he should sit.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 09:20 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Well I agree with everything he said, does that make me an idiot? Should I now stop posting here too cause I like Malik? And to be honest I don't think anyone even made a solid post to try and prove Chosen wrong because .......well he isn't.

Hall I been reading ur posts for a long time, I was kinda surprised to see u respond so nasty, what is it about Malik that brings out the anger in here lol.
Maybe he was just having a bad day.

Old
04-05-2007, 09:59 AM
dave4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Maybe he was just having a bad day.
Yeah, HE'S not usually the confrontational one!

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 10:06 AM
snowcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyd99 View Post
Is anyone really surprised by this? I don't know how he does it and I don't even care anymore how he does it. Malik is just this enigma where he'll make a mistake and the other team won't score and then he'll make a good outlet pass out of the zone and we end up scoring. I don't know if he's good or just lucky anymore. No matter what it is I always get a good laugh at the guy during the game.
The thing is, he makes Lundy's job so much tougher than it already is or has to be. Another thing is, Malik's mistakes WILL be exposed once the playoffs start-that's if we make it.

snowcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 10:12 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcloud View Post
The thing is, he makes Lundy's job so much tougher than it already is or has to be. Another thing is, Malik's mistakes WILL be exposed once the playoffs start-that's if we make it.
Everyone's mistakes WILL be exposed in the Playoffs because they will be replayed a thousand times and there will be endless threads about every single mistake, especially the Malik ones.

Face it, some folks watch Rangers games with one eye hoping Malik makes a mistake so they can crow about it.

And there is no if. They will make the Playoffs.

Old
04-05-2007, 10:23 AM
dave4

Quote:
Everyone's mistakes WILL be exposed in the Playoffs because they will be replayed a thousand times and there will be endless threads about every single mistake, especially the Malik ones.

Face it, some folks watch Rangers games with one eye hoping Malik makes a mistake so they can crow about it.

And there is no if. They will make the Playoffs.
OK you had some very sound logic about Jagr wanting Malik to play with him. Jagr wants to succeed, so he wouldn't want a bad player out there with him.

But the same logic applies here. Do you think people REALLY want Malik to fail? When Malik fails, our entire team fails. And I pretty much think every Ranger fan on this board wants the team to win.

So why would we root against Malik? He's going to play no matter how well he does. Renney and Jagr love him, and quite frankly we don't have anyone to replace him.

Old
04-05-2007, 10:25 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
As someone else already pointed out, the entire Rangers team plays the same opponents. The Rodent, in an effort to make a point, used a very narrow piece of statistics. In other words, it is nonsensical data.

I'm sure it is also possible to construct something like Prucha scored 32% of his goals against teams whose name begins with the letter "P" (not true). Therefore against teams that don't begin with the letter "P" he should sit.
Well it's the fact that he plays with Jagr and that Jagr's line will tend to score more goals against teams who aren't as good defensively meaning that he will get more +s in those games.

I mean put it this way. Jaromir "I Play Defense When I Feel Like It" Jagr is a +24, do you really think he's great defensively? I mean damn, if +/- is that good of a gauge then Jagr is the next Doug Harvey.

+/- means nothing about how good you play. Just watch the game and see how often Malik turns over the puck and is bailed out by Henrik. See how often Malik is out there when Jagr's line scores. How often Malik puts the puck in his own net or deflects a puck into Henrik. How often Malik is completely out of position when the other team scores.

Last edited by WhipNash27: 04-05-2007 at 10:31 AM.
WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 10:26 AM
snowcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4 View Post
OK you had some very sound logic about Jagr wanting Malik to play with him. Jagr wants to succeed, so he wouldn't want a bad player out there with him.

But the same logic applies here. Do you think people REALLY want Malik to fail? When Malik fails, our entire team fails. And I pretty much think every Ranger fan on this board wants the team to win.

So why would we root against Malik? He's going to play no matter how well he does. Renney and Jagr love him, and quite frankly we don't have anyone to replace him.
I don't want him to fail, either. I just have to cover one eye in horror everytime he's got the puck in the defensive end. Poor Henrik.

snowcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 10:32 AM
dave4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyF27 View Post
Well it's the fact that he plays with Jagr and that Jagr's line will tend to score more goals against teams who aren't as good defensively meaning that he will get more +s in those games.

I mean put it this way. Jaromir "I Play Defense When I Feel Like It" Jagr is a +24, do you really think he's great defensively? I mean damn, if +/- is that good of a gauge then Jagr is the next Doug Harvey.
You know, that's a good point. And Jagr gets a lot of his points on the power play, where you don't even get a 'plus'.

Hey wait a second...maybe we've got this all wrong...maybe JAGR's +/- is good because of MALIK, and not the other way around!

Old
04-05-2007, 12:47 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Something I'd like to add. Yes, Malik makes many bone-headed plays. However, he's also one of the best I've seen at recovering from his own mistakes. Would it be better if he never made them in the first place? Sure. But there are plenty of examples of plays like this: Malik makes a bad pass out of his zone and turns it over. Suddenly the other team has got two forwards to Malik's one. Breaking in, the player with the puck attempts to pass it to his teammate... only the find Malik's stick blocking the play. Or he attempts to shoot it, only to find Malik's stick deflecting it away. And that's how Malik has such a high +/- despite his defensive miscues. Sure, the goaltender bails him out from time to time... but I don't think you can deny he recovers quickly.

What makes Malik the way he plays is his stickwork. In fact, I'd say that the whole team's defensive stickwork is above average and I firmly believe that's how our defense "over-achieves"

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 12:51 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4 View Post

I think there are some fans who want Malik to fail so they are proved right, provided the Rangers still win. I don't think anyone here who dislikes Malik is rooting for him to cause a loss but you can be sure they would be far more vocal the next day if Malik blows a game than if any other Ranger blows a game.

Old
04-05-2007, 10:42 PM
Smashley

sad to say that it may be a good idea just to sticky this thread....

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 11:19 AM
chosen

+ 32

Old
04-06-2007, 01:59 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Goal!