HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: Blues @ Predators - 4.5.07

Old
04-05-2007, 12:20 AM
irisheyes555

vCash: 500
GDT: Blues @ Predators - 4.5.07

(34-33-13)________ (49-23-8)

Preds lead season series 6-1

Blues roadies_____________preds alternies

@

Nashville, Tennessee
Gaylord Entertainment Center
Nashville Arena

RADIO & TV INFORMATION

MEDIUMSTATIONTIME(CST)BROADCASTERSLINKS/INFO
Television FSN South 6:30 Pete Weber & Terry Crisp Comcast Ch28, Dish Ch 447, Direct TV Ch664
Television FSN MW 6:30 Bernie Federko & John Kelly St. Louis
Radio 104.5-FM 6:30 Eli Gold & Jeremy Bennefield WGFX Feed
Radio 550-AM 6:30 Ken Wilson & Kelly Chase KTRS Feed
Satellite Radio XM Ch n/a , Sirius Ch n/a n/a XM / Sirius

Blades of Glory?????
(we are skating like it)

MEDIA NEWS & NUGGETS

INTERNET LINK SOURCE
Recap of 2.16.07 meeting, Blues over Preds 1-0 in St. Louis NHL website
Highlights of last meeting, 2.16.07 NHL website
NHL Preview Page NHL website
Predators Preview Page Predators website
Predators Preview Page-Stats Predators website
Tennessean Preview Page Tennessean website
St. Louis Post Dispatch Preview Page St. Louis Post Dispatch website
Abid to the farm means Hartnell is ready Tennessean website
Well something needs to inspire them Tennessean website
Preds stats and stuff Predators website
Blues stats and stuff Predators website
Even more game stats Predators website

WESTERN CONFERENCE STANDINGS

TEAMGPWLOTPTSGFGAHOMEAWAYL10
Wings 80 49 19 12 110 245 194 28-4-8 21-15-4 5-2-3
Ducks 80 47 20 13 107 253 203 26-6-9 21-14-4 5-3-2
Canucks 79 48 247 103 216 192 26-10-4 22-14-3 7-1-2
Predators
80 4923 8 106 264 209 27-8-5 22-15-3 3-5-2
Sharks 80 50 26 4 104 251 192 24-12-3 26-14-1 8-1-1
Stars 79 48 25 6 102 220 192 26-11-2 22-14-4 7-2-1
Wild 80 46 26 8 100 227 190 27-7-5 19-19-3 7-2-1
Flames 79 43 26 10 96 250 213 30-8-2 13-18-8 6-4-0

last dance with the blues

PROBABLES AND INJURIES

Netminders: VOKOUN and BACASHIHUA?

Blues injuries:
  • Probable - Dallas Drake (wrist)
  • Doubtful - none
  • Out - D Jay McKee (hip), D Bryce Salvador (collarbone), G Manny Legace (knee), LW Martin Rucinsky (groin), RW Dan Hinote (shoulder) and RW Vladimir Orszagh (knee)

Predators injuries:
  • Probable - LW Scott Hartnell (foot)
  • Doubtful - LW Steve Sullivan (back)
  • Out - RW Martin Erat (knee)

TEAM LEADERS

STAT # #
GOALS J. Arnott 27 L. Stempniak 27
ASSISTS P. Kariya 51 D. Weight 43
POINTS P. Kariya 74 D. Weight 59
+/- D. Legwand +24 B. Jackman +20
OT GOALSSullivan/Forsberg/Timonen 1 Stempniak/Brewer 1
PIM J. Tootoo 110 J. Mayers 92
SOGP. Kariya 220 P. Cajanek 189

TEAM COMPARISON

STAT
106 POINTS 81
49 WINS 34
11 SHUTOUTS 6
19 POWERPLAY RANK 29
3 PENALTY KILL RANK 22
74.4 WIN % LEADING AFTER 1st 50.0
85.0 WIN % LEADING AFTER 2nd 76.7
41.2 WIN % TRAILING AFTER 1st 20.8
15.8 WIN % TRAILING AFTER 2nd 15.2

Individual Players Stats for the Predators from ESPN__________Individual Players Stats for the Blues from ESPN

website

MAKE IT WORTH THE PRICE WE PAY_________ NO EXCUSES __________MOTIVATION IS WHAT GETS YOU STARTED. HABIT IS WHAT KEEPS YOU GOING.__________ WINNING RESPECT_________ PRIDE, HUSTLE, DESIRE

all items are subject to change/correction, dealer keeps incentive, not available in some states, wash-rinse-repeat....

Last edited by irisheyes555: 04-05-2007 at 03:35 PM.
irisheyes555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 12:49 AM
canadianpredsfan97

Of course I hope we win, but just to save myself the potential stress, I am not going to check the score of this game until it's over. Still, go preds.

canadianpredsfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 01:45 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Glen Metropolit makes his return to Nashville!

His career kind of went full circle. He played here for the Knights in the ECHL and now is back here playing in the NHL, although for the Blues.

Welcome back Hartnell!

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 02:02 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Well some things I think are key to the game tonight:

1) Intensity out of the gate and a full 60 minute effort. St. Louis has been flying recently and rightfully so. They are a young team with a bright crop of prospects beginning to come of age (Oshie, E. Johnson, etc) and the veterans and rookies alike are fighting for jobs for next season. The team has been out of the playoff hunt basically all season long and are content in their role as spoiler right now. St. Louis broke the Predators long winning streak against them in their last meeting and will look to start a streak of their own tonight. Gotta come out and match, if not exceed, the energy level of the Blues tonight. Heck, I'd love to see Tootoo fight Mayers or Hordichuk drop the gloves early in the game and set the tone early that this isn't going to be a walk-over.

2) Our goaltending (Vokoun) needs to match their goaltending (Legace/Sanford/Bacashihua) and give us a chance to win. Legace has been a beast against us all season long. He has kept the Blues in many games this season that they shouldn't have otherwise been in. Vokoun has to give us a chance to win tonight. Now that doesn't mean he has to shut out the Blues, but it does mean no soft goals, rebound control, and hopefully not to many puckhandling miscues.

3) Faceoffs! Just have to think back to Saturday night against Dallas to realize the importance of faceoffs. Now we did a great job in the faceoff circle Tuesday night against Chicago, but let's be realistic. St. Louis features several top faceoff men in Weight and Drake and I'm sure their skill has worn off on the other St. Louis centers. Need a big game tonight from our guys in the faceoff circle otherwise we are going to be talking about more missed opportunities from lost OZ draws, unnecessary chances against from lost DZ draws, and just in general a game of chasing the puck around because we start without it.

4) Patience. Since Andy Murray's arrival the Blues have played a tight defensive game and love to sit back in the neutral zone and capitalize on every NZ turnover we give them. Tonight the focus has to be on either gaining speed through the NZ in transition to attack the Blues before they can get set back in their trapping defense (primarily will happen off of STL turnovers) or getting the puck deep in the STL zone and either getting in on the forecheck if we are in a position to do so or dropping back into our 1-2-2 trap and attempting to get them to turnover the puck. I really think the return of Nichol and hopefully Hartnell will help in this role tonight. Our energy line (Hordichuk - Nichol - Smithson), Tootoo, Dumont, and Hartnell among others need to get on top of the Blues' defensemen as soon as possible and finish their checks. This in turn will get the Blues to move the puck quicker and hopefully create some extra turnovers along the way.

5) Special teams have to be "Special" Obviously our PK has not been a problem too much, but regardless...we gotta watch out for the Blues tonight with Stempniak at the point booming the one-timer and Weight and Boyes among others using their playmaking skills to create chances. Our PP has got to get some goals tonight. Even-strength this game is not going to be fun. Offense is going to be hard to come by and the PP is going to present a majority of our scoring chances for the night. I'd like to see the Predators look away from that cross-crease pass and look more towards getting Weber and Arnott some one-timers. I'd like to see some more movement to the PP tonight...no standing around. I think we will see Hartnell plant himself in front of the net again, but don't count on him being in game shape...it is harder then it looks to tip a puck fired at 90+ mph, let alone have any accuracy doing so. I'd like to see at least two PP goals tonight. I say if we are a +2 on special teams tonight (PP goals for - PK goals against) we win the game guaranteed.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 08:37 AM
handtrick

Hordichuk had Fiddler on his show last night.

Apparently it was said that they had a "big meeting" yesterday to address things, and it was a "good" meeting. No further details were given.

I hope we see some dividends of that tonight.

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 09:06 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
Hordichuk had Fiddler on his show last night.

Apparently it was said that they had a "big meeting" yesterday to address things, and it was a "good" meeting. No further details were given.

I hope we see some dividends of that tonight.
Some good quotes today in the newspaper about recently coming out "sluggish" and wanting to get off to a fast start tonight. Let's see if this all isn't just lip service and hope that their actions speak louder than words.

Old
04-05-2007, 10:02 AM
Yeti
HFBoards Partner

So it's Mason tonight....not Vokoun??

Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 10:20 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedYeti View Post
Hopefully.

I hope the meeting had the desired effect. The Blues played us tough when we weren't struggling, and this game will be tougher than the one against the Blackhawks.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 10:25 AM
Jarnberg

I want Vokoun in net tonight. We know that is who we are going with in the playoffs. He needs games to work out his kinks and perhaps get some momentum.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 10:30 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
I want Vokoun in net tonight. We know that is who we are going with in the playoffs. He needs games to work out his kinks and perhaps get some momentum.
I'm really not trying to knock on Vokoun, but ever since coming back from his injury, he's had these "kinks." If he hasn't worked them out by now, how is he going to do it in the last two games of the season? He's making big saves, granted, but he's giving up a soft goal or TWO on average almost every game. He's not stopping anything up high, he's about a half second slow in his reactions, he's not backing up his five hole with his stick, and as a result is getting beaten there over and over(and don't think other teams aren't aware of it). He looks so uncomfortable in net right now...and I don't think it's wise to let someone continue to start just based on history. You have to go with the hot hand until it fails you. It just seems dangerous to go with a guy that is apt to give up an unscreened, direct shot from the top of the circles right after you finally manage a rare goal.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 10:37 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
I'm really not trying to knock on Vokoun, but ever since coming back from his injury, he's had these "kinks." If he hasn't worked them out by now, how is he going to do it in the last two games of the season? He's making big saves, granted, but he's giving up a soft goal or TWO on average almost every game. He's not stopping anything up high, he's about a half second slow in his reactions, he's not backing up his five hole with his stick, and as a result is getting beaten there over and over(and don't think other teams aren't aware of it). He looks so uncomfortable in net right now...and I don't think it's wise to let someone continue to start just based on history. You have to go with the hot hand until it fails you. It just seems dangerous to go with a guy that is apt to give up an unscreened, direct shot from the top of the circles right after you finally manage a rare goal.
Yeah I understand what you are saying. Vokoun hasn't been in top form and hasn't worked out his kinks. Last game he looked VERY bad handling the puck. He's still letting in a few softies.

That being said, everything we've heard from the media and coaching staff have suggested that Vokoun will be the guy come playoff time. Since they are going to play him next week, I'd rather see him in goal tonight to work things out. There is a risk of course. Perhaps Vokoun lets in a back breaking goal that deflates us and we don't pickup the victory. Or perhaps Vokoun makes some big saves and gets his confidence back. If we play Mason and we win the game, what happens when Trotz throws Vokoun out next week in the playoffs? Of course the team could lay an egg tonight and Vokoun gets shelled. That has a negative effect as well.

I just feel if Vokoun is going to be our guy next week, we might as well play him now and let him gel things out.

Now, whether or not Vokoun should be the go to guy come playoffs, well that is a different argument.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 10:56 AM
lstcyr

If it's Mason, I wonder if the Preds are just giving him a chance to get a well-deserved thank you from the home crowd for his work this year. It's hard to imagine we'd even be in the position we're in without what he did while Vokoun was out.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 11:10 AM
irisheyes555

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedYeti View Post
won't know "for sure" until later. me or someone will post the local rags 411 when they get it from trotz and host it. when i put a question mark after the goalie's name, that is who i think is due to start. but those darn coaches don't always check with me.

Old
04-05-2007, 11:15 AM
irisheyes555

tonights refs

Dan Marouelli and Mike Hasenfratz

Old
04-05-2007, 01:47 PM
handtrick

Just listened to troza's post morning skate interview posted on the game day news article on NP.com...

He is not tipping his hand as to which goalie is starting tonight.

also he said that "he has put a lot of pressure on the 'leadership group' to have the guys ready to play right from the start tonight"....he goes on to say that "you can't come in and give a 'Knute Rockne speech' 82 games a year, at some point the motivation has to come from the room."

Was it said at Darcy's show whether the "big meeting" was players only or coaches and players?

Will be interesting to see how we come out of the blocks AND who leads the team out for the preskate.......

Both items will tell me volumes about the future.,,,,

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 03:10 PM
Seth Lake

Well the local rag is listing Vokoun as the "expected" starter in their post-morning skate article and I agree with that.

As P303 stated before, Vokoun certainly isn't at the top of his game...meaning that he's not performing at a level where he can go out and steal a game on his own on a consistent basis. However, with all of Vokoun's "issues" this season he has put up his best numbers over the past three seasons statistically.

Mason on the other hand is performing at the top of his game and is having a career year. We don't honestly believe or expect (but would love to see) another level out of Mason. He is what he is and he's shown that it's very good. BUT...even with all of Vokoun's issues...he is on even with Mason and still has another level to get to that he has shown in the past.

Vokoun is our franchise goalie and can be one of the top goalies in the world when he is on top of his game. I have no doubt that the coaching staff will not hesitiate to insert Mason should Vokoun show a lack of confidence in the playoffs, but Vokoun will start and he will either give this team the best chance they have at winning or he will ride the pine as Mason is given the same shot. It's Vokoun's job to lose.

Tonight, especially after a "big team meeting", Vokoun has to be in net. He has to be focused and determined to stop everything that is thrown his way. Championship teams are built from the net out, a big performance by Vokoun will go a long way to giving the defense some extra confidence and in turn that will help out the forwards by allowing them to use their speed to attack rather than getting bogged down in the defensive zone.

Old
04-05-2007, 03:32 PM
irisheyes555

no sully tonight, tomorrow, next week or ever?

well here is the other shoe we have been waiting for.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs..../70405056/1028

btw: vokie in net too

Last edited by irisheyes555: 04-05-2007 at 03:38 PM.
Old
04-05-2007, 03:53 PM
canadianpredsfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by irisheyes555 View Post
well here is the other shoe we have been waiting for.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs..../70405056/1028

btw: vokie in net too
Well hopefully things will work out in the playoffs, and we'll be playing a while so Sully can come back. Sure wouldn't want Sully to end the season on the injured list.

canadianpredsfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 05:03 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Preds get Goose Egged tonight this will be the Easiest win for St. Lou this season 5-0 if that close

Gnashville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 07:43 PM
PeterAngelo
In Elliott We Trust

a goal 11 secs in from legwand gets cancelled out 11 secs from the end of the period by the blues... 1-1 after 1.

PeterAngelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 08:15 PM
Paincakes

Radulov and Legwand score in within 28 seconds. 3-1 preds.

Kariya with his 500th career assist.

Paincakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 08:16 PM
PeterAngelo
In Elliott We Trust

Legwand's 2nd on the pp makes it 2-1 preds halfway through period 2, milestone goal as Kariya gets 500th assist (106 have come with us!).

EDIT: Raddy scores also 3-1

Old
04-05-2007, 08:36 PM
PeterAngelo
In Elliott We Trust

Predators 3 Blues 1 after 2. For the love of god preds stay attacking in the 3rd! don't play this 20 min pk for a change....

Old
04-05-2007, 08:48 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
I [heart] Irisheyes555...

04-05-2007, 09:02 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

OMG The Preds are fore-checking, cycling, and putting the freaking puck into the net tonight WOW

Gnashville is online now   Reply With Quote