HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If Smyth is to be traded

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2004, 10:45 AM
Mr Sakich

vCash: 500
If Smyth is to be traded

then it looks like we may have a good fit with New Jersey. The devils need scoring and Smyth's defensive awareness would fit right in with the Devil's system. He is a prototypical Devil and it would be his best chance to win a cup. The Devils have a few things we need as well - Ahonen and a real good young pp qb in the making - Paul Martin.

If Lowe doesn't address the situation in goal, we are destined for a few more years of mediocraty. The consensus is that Ari is one of the best young goalie prospects so Lowe should be targeting him before anyone else.

This could be one of those trades where both teams improve. We would still have ethan, izzy, torres, and Chimera on the left side so LW is definately the place that we could absorb a significant player loss.

Old
02-17-2004, 11:54 AM
Bohologo

I'm with you on the mechanics of such an exchange, but I'm not sure about the soul of the swap. Okay, Smyth has had a tough year, but he's been playing center, getting paid less than he could command on the open market, and not doing any whining about MacTavish's silly line juggling; the guy is a good Oiler, the sort of guy you want around for the youth core to learn from. So while I'd like to see the LW surplus ameliorate the gaps in center, defense, and in the pipes, I guess the concern is about the identity of the team, and Smyth is a big part of that identity.

Old
02-17-2004, 01:03 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

I disagree. If Smyth goes for anything less then a potential 1st line center I will be upset

Old
02-17-2004, 01:24 PM
rec28

Send a message via MSN to rec28
I'd love to get Ahonen, but I'm not completely sold on Martin yet. Together, they would be 2 big question marks (though very promising ones) for whom we would be trading our heart & soul - not enough return, IMHO. Ahonen + Gomez in exchange for Smytty & a depth player (Horcoff, to replace their loss of a center?), plus or minus a pick on either side would come a lot closer to satisfying me.

Old
02-17-2004, 02:23 PM
kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
then it looks like we may have a good fit with New Jersey. The devils need scoring and Smyth's defensive awareness would fit right in with the Devil's system. He is a prototypical Devil and it would be his best chance to win a cup. The Devils have a few things we need as well - Ahonen and a real good young pp qb in the making - Paul Martin.

If Lowe doesn't address the situation in goal, we are destined for a few more years of mediocraty. The consensus is that Ari is one of the best young goalie prospects so Lowe should be targeting him before anyone else.

This could be one of those trades where both teams improve. We would still have ethan, izzy, torres, and Chimera on the left side so LW is definately the place that we could absorb a significant player loss.
I think we are more likely to see Smith traded for those two. We may have to sweeten the pot with a 2nd (which will sadly be early) or Philly's 1st. Stevens could be down for the count and they will need someone other than David Hale to do some damage from the backline.

I could be wrong but I think that Smith is more what they will want.

Closed Thread