HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Help think I might have ruined my new skates.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-03-2014, 03:39 PM
  #1
M11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 11
vCash: 500
Help think I might have ruined my new skates.

I recently started playing recreational hockey, but after my first game I decided to get new skates (The old ones were a little to big on me.) After getting my new skates i went to a public skate to try them out and I was very pleased with the performance. It was more comfortable and easier to skate. The boots were an excellent fit and I used a floating knot to increase support on my ankles.

I didn't have any problems with my new skates during my next game. In fact I was a lot faster and could stop a lot more efficiently I was really happy with them but after the game I noticed creases were forming on the ankles of the skates.

Pictures of the skates

I spoke with my brother whose been playing hockey for a while. He said I need to work on the muscles in my ankles, he said I'm putting to much pressure on the boots ankles when I skate.

The skates are brand new and I haven't had any performance issues with them, but I don't want them wearing out before I've gotten a lot more use out of them. Does anyone know a way to remedy the issue?

Thanks for the help. I'm 6'1 about 175 pounds (don't know if that matters.)

M11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 10:10 PM
  #2
nwharris74
Registered User
 
nwharris74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
I'm no expert...and you should probably check with someone at the local shop, but I believe these are the low end skates for CCM. They are not going to be stiff, which in turn, probably will break down a lot quicker and offer less support. My first pair of skates were also 1/2 size too big and were on the low end of the price range. I did manage to get a few years out of them, but I when I got my new skates (Reebok White Ks) I noticed a major increase in support in the ankles and in turn, better performance. While I hesitate to tell you you've ruined your new skates, I will say you probably are in for some bad news. They still may offer some support but I'd bet money that they will break down further and your skating will suffer as a result.

Sorry, I know this isn't the answer your looking for. Again, I would suggest talking to someone at the local shop for advice. They have way more knowledge than I have.

nwharris74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 03:09 AM
  #3
raptor5191
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 19
vCash: 500
Buddy that is simply a sign that the skates are probably too big and they are probably the lower end of the CCM scale. I understand that even a lower end new skate can seem like a gift from God though, man.

However, if you are really skating hard on them you are likely outskating the skate.

Which RBZ is it?

raptor5191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 06:55 AM
  #4
Crosbyfan
Registered User
 
Crosbyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 7,651
vCash: 500
Take them back

You didn't ruin them...they ruined themselves

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 08:16 AM
  #5
Cursed Lemon
Registered Bruiser
 
Cursed Lemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,520
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cursed Lemon Send a message via MSN to Cursed Lemon Send a message via Yahoo to Cursed Lemon
I don't know how you skate so I can't really comment on that, but the material of those skates looks to be somewhat weak. I highly doubt you've "ruined" them, I think they might just get on like that.

Cursed Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 08:47 AM
  #6
AntsSheffield
Registered User
 
AntsSheffield's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 180
vCash: 500
I'm guessing they're low-end skates. My first pair, also CCM's (that cost 90/$150) buckled too after a few months of heavy use. Now I have $450 Grafs and there's no way anyone could crease em like that.

AntsSheffield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 09:24 AM
  #7
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,400
vCash: 500
nwharris is the closest.

They are bottom end skates with very little support & stiffness.

However, that creasing could also be caused by other issues, such as having a skate too big, or a skate that has too much volume for your foot.

Why don't you help us rule out the former? Did you get sized properly? Are your toes grazing the toe cap when you stand up?

Take a picture from the side showing your foot in the boot to check on the latter.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 06:24 PM
  #8
M11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 11
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
nwharris is the closest.

They are bottom end skates with very little support & stiffness.

However, that creasing could also be caused by other issues, such as having a skate too big, or a skate that has too much volume for your foot.

Why don't you help us rule out the former? Did you get sized properly? Are your toes grazing the toe cap when you stand up?

Take a picture from the side showing your foot in the boot to check on the latter.

Nah these guys are the right size, my toes do graze the toe. The first pair I got were an 11 and they were just to big. The new ones I got are 9s I'm a 13 shoe size. They are the 40 RBZ CCM. I knew ahead of time they were the lower end and they would break down quickly but I didn't think they would start breaking down after one game.

M11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 07:56 PM
  #9
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,400
vCash: 500
How long have you had them since you bought them?

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2014, 10:30 AM
  #10
nwharris74
Registered User
 
nwharris74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
My understanding towards the low end skates...they look like hockey skates, and they feel like hockey skates, but they should only be used when skating laps during a public sessions by someone who probably has no intention of actually playing hockey, or is just learning how to skate.

Did you buy them online or at a shop? either way I'd go back to them and tell them what happened. Skates shouldn't do that after one use no matter what the price point is. They will probably work with you. Then you should invest in a better pair of skates. The good news is, you don't have to spend $400 dollars or more on top of the line. If you like the feel of the CCM RBZ line, then upgrade to the RBZ 60 or 70. Those are probably a better choice for you.

nwharris74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2014, 11:24 AM
  #11
M11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 11
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwharris74 View Post
My understanding towards the low end skates...they look like hockey skates, and they feel like hockey skates, but they should only be used when skating laps during a public sessions by someone who probably has no intention of actually playing hockey, or is just learning how to skate.

Did you buy them online or at a shop? either way I'd go back to them and tell them what happened. Skates shouldn't do that after one use no matter what the price point is. They will probably work with you. Then you should invest in a better pair of skates. The good news is, you don't have to spend $400 dollars or more on top of the line. If you like the feel of the CCM RBZ line, then upgrade to the RBZ 60 or 70. Those are probably a better choice for you.
Thanks for the help. I bought them at a Play it again store, though I'm not familiar with their refund/trade-in policy. I'm a little bit hesitant about getting another new pair of skates because I fear the same thing might happen. If I bought a new pair of RBZ would the 60-70 series stop this from happening?

AIREAYE I bought them last week

M11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2014, 07:39 PM
  #12
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,400
vCash: 500
See if they could warranty that for you. Patiently explain your situation, don't mention you play hockey unless they ask. Just say you've been fun skating.

What's your frequency of play and rough budget for skates?

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2014, 09:17 AM
  #13
Crosbyfan
Registered User
 
Crosbyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 7,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by M11 View Post
Thanks for the help. I bought them at a Play it again store, though I'm not familiar with their refund/trade-in policy. I'm a little bit hesitant about getting another new pair of skates because I fear the same thing might happen. If I bought a new pair of RBZ would the 60-70 series stop this from happening?

AIREAYE I bought them last week
Do they have any better quality used skates your size? One advantage is that you can try them out without turning them into "used", since they already are, and generally you get a better skate for the same money.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2014, 09:38 AM
  #14
nwharris74
Registered User
 
nwharris74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by M11 View Post
Thanks for the help. I bought them at a Play it again store, though I'm not familiar with their refund/trade-in policy. I'm a little bit hesitant about getting another new pair of skates because I fear the same thing might happen. If I bought a new pair of RBZ would the 60-70 series stop this from happening?
That's hard for me to say. I only have my own experiences to draw on. I would think not but without seeing how you skate it's hard to judge. If there is a local shop at the rink or another store that specializes in hockey, ask they guys who run it for advise.

My experience with Play it Again is a sporting good shop with no real expertise. Guys I know who have gone to a hockey specific store and gotten professionally fitted will tell you that's the only way to go. I don't doubt them.

I have never been professionally fitted for skates, my experience over many years has been trial and error. With a lot of research I have found what I like. But who knows, if I went and got professionally fitted things could change. I don't recommend my method as the opposite could have saved me time and money. It sucks using skates that don't fit correctly or don't have the correct level of stiffness.

nwharris74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2014, 09:47 AM
  #15
nwharris74
Registered User
 
nwharris74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
Do they have any better quality used skates your size? One advantage is that you can try them out without turning them into "used", since they already are, and generally you get a better skate for the same money.
I've also gone the used skates route. Bought a pair of Bauers on Ebay, hated them and sold them to someone else.

nwharris74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2014, 12:49 PM
  #16
M11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 11
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
See if they could warranty that for you. Patiently explain your situation, don't mention you play hockey unless they ask. Just say you've been fun skating.

What's your frequency of play and rough budget for skates?
I think I'm going to go in Monday and see what can be done. Trade in and pay the difference and get 60's or take whatever they give me and head over to Total Hockey.

Even though I just started I think I'm going to play through the summer and then join a league in the winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
Do they have any better quality used skates your size? One advantage is that you can try them out without turning them into "used", since they already are, and generally you get a better skate for the same money.
Finding a properly sized skate in the used section can be difficult. Most people keep their adult skates because they stop growing so it's hard to find sizes over 7-8s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwharris74 View Post
That's hard for me to say. I only have my own experiences to draw on. I would think not but without seeing how you skate it's hard to judge. If there is a local shop at the rink or another store that specializes in hockey, ask they guys who run it for advise.

My experience with Play it Again is a sporting good shop with no real expertise. Guys I know who have gone to a hockey specific store and gotten professionally fitted will tell you that's the only way to go. I don't doubt them.

I have never been professionally fitted for skates, my experience over many years has been trial and error. With a lot of research I have found what I like. But who knows, if I went and got professionally fitted things could change. I don't recommend my method as the opposite could have saved me time and money. It sucks using skates that don't fit correctly or don't have the correct level of stiffness.
Thanks for the help you guys have been a great resources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwharris74 View Post
I've also gone the used skates route. Bought a pair of Bauers on Ebay, hated them and sold them to someone else.
This was pretty much my experience with used skates. I got used ones they were really uncomfortable and didn't fit as well as they should. Didn't help that after the first game the rivets started popping out. Though that was my fault because they weren't fitted properly.

M11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2014, 03:57 PM
  #17
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,400
vCash: 500
TH should be able to give you good advice. Let them know what kind of hockey you are playing and rough budget that you should be flexible on.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2014, 04:11 PM
  #18
miscs75
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 37
vCash: 500
Do you wrap your laces around your ankles when you tie them? That's another bad idea.

miscs75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 06:58 AM
  #19
shoeshine boy
Registered User
 
shoeshine boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscs75 View Post
Do you wrap your laces around your ankles when you tie them? That's another bad idea.
not necessarily. I've been wrapping my laces around for 14 years with no issues whatsoever. I do however, have much higher level skates. Bauer Vapor 8 when I started and MLX the last few years.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 01:50 PM
  #20
M11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 11
vCash: 500
Alright I thought I would give you guys an update. I went to Play it again to see what they could do refund wise. They told me they could give me a full refund in store credit, but they said I should contact CCM first. They said CCM is pretty good about their warranty and 9 times out of 10 they send a replacement pair a level higher. They also said they would use the warranty if I returned the skates to them so I was better off going through CCM. I just sent an email to CCM in regards to the warranty and am waiting to hear back.

Though just in case I still went to TH to see if they had any 60 or 70s, unfortunately they were all out. The employee who was helping me called a few stores and said they'll have a pair in my size there on Thurs.

Update: CCM got back to me and said they will replace my skates with RBZ 75s. I'm glad CCM came through and are replacing them with a higher quality skate. I would have probably gotten the 70s and sold the replacements if they were a lower RBZ. Thumbs up to CCMs customer service.


Last edited by M11: 07-09-2014 at 08:30 PM.
M11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 08:30 AM
  #21
jsykes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NoVa
Posts: 825
vCash: 500
First off, if CCM is dealing directly with you, you're lucky as they generally will not deal direct with a customer on warranty.

Secondly, I've never had them upgrade a skate upon warranty.

Lastly, what the hell is a RBZ 75? There is no such thing in the CCM lineup of retail skates. http://ccmhockey.com/en/gear/player/skates

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 08:41 AM
  #22
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsykes View Post
First off, if CCM is dealing directly with you, you're lucky as they generally will not deal direct with a customer on warranty.

Secondly, I've never had them upgrade a skate upon warranty.

Lastly, what the hell is a RBZ 75? There is no such thing in the CCM lineup of retail skates. http://ccmhockey.com/en/gear/player/skates
I agree with your first 2 points.

The 75 seems to be an SMU for several large retailers.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 09:40 AM
  #23
jsykes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NoVa
Posts: 825
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
I agree with your first 2 points.

The 75 seems to be an SMU for several large retailers.
Ahh, well that adds a little more of a question as to why CCM would replace something with and SMU.

Oh well. Good luck to the OP.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 09:56 AM
  #24
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,400
vCash: 500
Sorry to get off topic, but every company makes SMUs for all of their product lines. The curious thing for me is the sheer popularity of the RBZ75 among all of the big US retailers (and a certain large CDN retail chain). Whether or not most retailers see more value in the 75 vs the 70 and 80, or if CCM gave them all good deals, I'm not sure.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 10:34 AM
  #25
Kyndig86
Registered User
 
Kyndig86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Springville, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwharris74 View Post
My understanding towards the low end skates...they look like hockey skates, and they feel like hockey skates, but they should only be used when skating laps during a public sessions by someone who probably has no intention of actually playing hockey, or is just learning how to skate.

Did you buy them online or at a shop? either way I'd go back to them and tell them what happened. Skates shouldn't do that after one use no matter what the price point is. They will probably work with you. Then you should invest in a better pair of skates. The good news is, you don't have to spend $400 dollars or more on top of the line. If you like the feel of the CCM RBZ line, then upgrade to the RBZ 60 or 70. Those are probably a better choice for you.
I must be lucky then. I love my low end CCM intruders. Thousands of hours playing hockey and skating around though they have some slight damage from someone kicking my boot as it took a chunk of the plastic out. Can skate for hours on them without my feet hurting, 10 minutes in anything else and I'm done.

Anyways for the original topic it looks like the skate doesn't fit or its just a poor design (maybe both). The boot should be supportive there and not give out unless you want a broken ankle.

Kyndig86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:47 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.