HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

STICKS - Buying Guide and Advice

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-07-2014, 03:34 PM
  #876
miscs75
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 37
vCash: 500
I should have specified. Its pro-stock. I have 5 different sticks with his pattern: Sherwood T90pro, Sherwood Nexon N12, Easton s19, Easton SE16, Warrior Widow. My favorite out of them by far is the Widow. Its a thin blade that has a hard, stiff feel.

miscs75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 06:00 PM
  #877
ki11joy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,140
vCash: 500
I was able to get the TotalOne NXG shaft and an Easton blade for about $120 together, so I decided to go for it. The blade is on the heavier side, but at least I can just replace it down the line without having to get a whole new stick. I'll probably pick up a cheap fused one piece like a Bauer One.6 or Easton 65S II as a backup to replace my old junior Synergy.

ki11joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 06:36 PM
  #878
miscs75
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 37
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki11joy View Post
I was able to get the TotalOne NXG shaft and an Easton blade for about $120 together, so I decided to go for it. The blade is on the heavier side, but at least I can just replace it down the line without having to get a whole new stick. I'll probably pick up a cheap fused one piece like a Bauer One.6 or Easton 65S II as a backup to replace my old junior Synergy.
Whats the range you're looking to spend for a backup? Personally, I hate when sticks don't match interms of feel. I'd try to pick up the same one as a backup to keep everything the same. Plus being a shaft, you can just buy bulk blades.

miscs75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 06:47 PM
  #879
ki11joy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,140
vCash: 500
I'm not too picky about stick feel, I just need something in case the blade breaks during a game. If the TotalOne 2 piece holds up as well as my One90 did, I probably won't even have to use the backup at all.

Buying blades in bulk is nice, but not if they don't have my curve! I'd like to say I'm not too picky about curve either, but I'm used to the P92/Naslund/Backlund/Sakic/Draper/Hall/Nugent-Hopkins style, so I'm going to try and keep that consistent. On the other hand, having a shaft means I can experiment with different blade patterns without having to buy a whole new stick.

ki11joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 06:52 PM
  #880
miscs75
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 37
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki11joy View Post
I'm not too picky about stick feel, I just need something in case the blade breaks during a game. If the TotalOne 2 piece holds up as well as my One90 did, I probably won't even have to use the backup at all.

Buying blades in bulk is nice, but not if they don't have my curve! I'd like to say I'm not too picky about curve either, but I'm used to the P92/Naslund/Backlund/Sakic/Draper/Hall/Nugent-Hopkins style, so I'm going to try and keep that consistent. On the other hand, having a shaft means I can experiment with different blade patterns without having to buy a whole new stick.
Understandable. I would still go with the same shaft if you can get more for cheap or look into pro-stock stuff. I know the Isles had a few leftover shafts from Brad Boyes. I forget what they were though.

miscs75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 07:15 PM
  #881
One Turris God
Gersei Chongar
 
One Turris God's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,205
vCash: 500
Just for what its worth, the Covert QR1 (not out yet) is the best stick I have ever used, by a fair margin too.

Stick history: RIBCOR, Widow, T90, SE16, S17, U+ CL, One95, X60

One Turris God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 09:16 PM
  #882
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,373
vCash: 500
A lot of good sticks for 2014. MX3, Tacks, QR1 and Synergy HTX all impress.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 09:21 PM
  #883
Wilch
Unregistered User
 
Wilch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Under your bed
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 8,234
vCash: 500
Though I already asked this, I'll do this in a shorter post.

Anyone know how to get rid of the grip coating without damaging the graphics?

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 11:21 PM
  #884
Bengerm77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
^^^^^^
plus a bajillion. I just got a replacement for a stick where I broke the blade and its got grip. I hate grip. How can I get rid of the grip?

Also, why is it so hard to get sticks WHITHOUT grip now?

Bengerm77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 12:27 AM
  #885
Wilch
Unregistered User
 
Wilch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Under your bed
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 8,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengerm77 View Post
^^^^^^
plus a bajillion. I just got a replacement for a stick where I broke the blade and its got grip. I hate grip. How can I get rid of the grip?

Also, why is it so hard to get sticks WHITHOUT grip now?
I went on Modsquadhockey to get their advice, and was told to either spray Krylon onto the shaft or rub it with fine steel wool. Not sure if I can find the former in my country, but I'm going to try the wool and pledge, if not maybe some clear tape.

Yeah, it's extremely annoying, especially because I use intermediate flex. I haven't seen a single clear Sherwood intermediate so far.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 12:44 AM
  #886
snizzbone
Give me the puck ;-)
 
snizzbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,335
vCash: 500
Kreps

snizzbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 05:43 AM
  #887
miscs75
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 37
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowNoMo View Post
Kreps
Too much PHEW in this comment for me to handle. Ugliest curve ever.

miscs75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 01:04 AM
  #888
Onetimersniper28
Registered User
 
Onetimersniper28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscs75 View Post
Too much PHEW in this comment for me to handle. Ugliest curve ever.
It's funny because it's a very popular curve at the NHL level, among the snipers (Stamkos and Semin for instance).

The Lidstrom curve with its square toe is to me the ugliest curve.

Onetimersniper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 09:39 AM
  #889
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,373
vCash: 500
The Stamkos red TotalOne pro stocks that my store had were all P92 type curves, not Kreps.

Unless you have evidence of a current and in-use model?

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 02:26 PM
  #890
Onetimersniper28
Registered User
 
Onetimersniper28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
The Stamkos red TotalOne pro stocks that my store had were all P92 type curves, not Kreps.

Unless you have evidence of a current and in-use model?
You are right, my mistake. My LHS had some Stamkos pro stock sticks too, and it looked slightly deeper towards the toe than a P92, hence the confusion with a Kreps curve.



As you can see, the P92 is a straighter version of the Kreps curve.

Onetimersniper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 08:41 PM
  #891
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,373
vCash: 500
Kind of. There's more to it than that. The P92 has a higher lie, shallower pocket and more closed mid toe.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 10:55 PM
  #892
Onetimersniper28
Registered User
 
Onetimersniper28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Kind of. There's more to it than that. The P92 has a higher lie, shallower pocket and more closed mid toe.
Spot on. But both curves are similar in the sense that they both serve the same purpose : firing quick wrist shots towards the top corners, and making it easy to pull toe drags.

Onetimersniper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 11:35 PM
  #893
PlayoffBeard365
Registered User
 
PlayoffBeard365's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 124
vCash: 500
Been playing 6 months. I bought a Vapor 7.0 Kane lie 6 and loved it, it broke last game. I have an Easton Mako 2 Iginla lie 5.5 which is just not working for me and a buddy just gave me a brand new Vapor 2.0 which is like a freakin tree log.

No 7.0s to be found online, so what is in the new Bauer lineup that is the equivalent?

I'd like to stay around the 15.5 grams and $150.

Also willing to go diff route. My main concern is the weight and blade similarity to the Kane.


Last edited by PlayoffBeard365: 07-10-2014 at 11:50 PM.
PlayoffBeard365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 08:48 AM
  #894
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,373
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetimersniper28 View Post
Spot on. But both curves are similar in the sense that they both serve the same purpose : firing quick wrist shots towards the top corners, and making it easy to pull toe drags.
Yeah absolutely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayoffBeard365 View Post
Been playing 6 months. I bought a Vapor 7.0 Kane lie 6 and loved it, it broke last game. I have an Easton Mako 2 Iginla lie 5.5 which is just not working for me and a buddy just gave me a brand new Vapor 2.0 which is like a freakin tree log.

No 7.0s to be found online, so what is in the new Bauer lineup that is the equivalent?

I'd like to stay around the 15.5 grams and $150.

Also willing to go diff route. My main concern is the weight and blade similarity to the Kane.
Specs wise, the closest would probably be the X100 but price wise that would be closest to the X90. But for a bit more money, you may as well look for clearance APXs.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 09:48 AM
  #895
PlayoffBeard365
Registered User
 
PlayoffBeard365's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Yeah absolutely.


Specs wise, the closest would probably be the X100 but price wise that would be closest to the X90. But for a bit more money, you may as well look for clearance APXs.
Thanks! I went with the x90 as no apx avail in p88.

If I were to go 2 piece, what Bauer combo (handling, snappers, wristers) would you recommend that comes in under 16oz? APX2? standard or tapered (I play wing)?


Last edited by PlayoffBeard365: 07-11-2014 at 11:18 AM.
PlayoffBeard365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 01:21 PM
  #896
Murr11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 9
vCash: 500
Does flex and kickpoint really make a difference for kids? I purchased a Bauer 4.0 and APX and I don't think my kid notices a difference. At what age should you invest in a good premium stick? My son and I are new to hockey and I am just trying to figure it all out, a little overwhelmed at this point. Don't want to spend extra money when I don't have to.

Murr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 02:00 PM
  #897
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,373
vCash: 500
When they can pick targets at will and have an arsenal of shots.

Short answer for you and your kid is no, not yet. You probably shouldn't have bought the APX, waste of money. The 4.0 will do just fine.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 03:38 PM
  #898
Murr11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 9
vCash: 500
Thanks.
I will hide his APX in the closest. I have not cut it yet so hopefully he can use it later on.

Murr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 06:11 PM
  #899
Onetimersniper28
Registered User
 
Onetimersniper28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murr11 View Post
Does flex and kickpoint really make a difference for kids? I purchased a Bauer 4.0 and APX and I don't think my kid notices a difference. At what age should you invest in a good premium stick? My son and I are new to hockey and I am just trying to figure it all out, a little overwhelmed at this point. Don't want to spend extra money when I don't have to.
The question is : How old is he ? If he's using junior or youth sticks, he won't feel any difference. However, if he's using intermediate or senior sticks and is around 15 years, then, he will definitely notice the difference.

Onetimersniper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 09:35 PM
  #900
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,373
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayoffBeard365 View Post
Thanks! I went with the x90 as no apx avail in p88.

If I were to go 2 piece, what Bauer combo (handling, snappers, wristers) would you recommend that comes in under 16oz? APX2? standard or tapered (I play wing)?
Ah yeah I forgot about 2 pieces. If an APX2 2 piece is close in price to an X90. I wouldn't hesitate at all to go for that. Should be lighter and better performing. The X90 is basically a 2 piece anyways.

Go tapered.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.