HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Weird rules in beer leagues

Old
07-08-2014, 08:31 AM
MTLAzzurri

vCash: 500
Weird rules in beer leagues

This happened a couple years ago and just popped into my head now for some reason.

One of my best friends used to play on a beer league team with his dad, and I used to go sub for them once in a while. We were 18 at the time, and the next youngest guy was probably 30, with most guys being between 35-55.

But while we were young we were probably middle of the pack skill wise.

Once we were in the middle of a game, and the guy on the bench next to me told me I had to stop stealing the puck in the neutral zone if the other guy was a) older than me and b) worse than me. He said it's ok if the guy is better than me but that I shouldn't "show up" less skilled players.

I've played in a lot of leagues and never heard of anything like that. I just shrugged it off (since no one else brought it up again), the way I saw it was I was paying 20 bucks to sub which entitled me to strip the puck from, and get stripped by whoever was on the ice.

Anyone ever heard anything like this?

MTLAzzurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 10:51 AM
mikitas donut
The Hammer!

That's weird, that sounds like an unspoken courtesy at pond hockey or pick up, but not in a league. If you're in a league anyone should be fair game.

One of the leagues I play in had a rule that if you brought the puck up from your defensive zone, you either had to pass it or dump it before crossing the opposing blue line. This was to discourage ringers from just dangling around everyone. The refs don't seem to call it anymore for some reason.

mikitas donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 11:06 AM
Ozz

I often find that I or my team will do things like that, but only when we easily outclass our opponents that day. If there's a chance the team as a whole can compete, then it's tough luck for the low-end players because, obviously, we won't give them any help.

Silly to be a RULE, though, as mikitas donut said it sounds more like a courtesy for non-competitive play which is fine by me. Then again, if it's oldest guys and/or they're only so good, there might not be much harm in letting them gain the zone anyway before you strip 'em.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 11:19 AM
Cams

I am also of the opinion that is more of a courtesy thing. Young guys get a bad rep sometimes, as being hot dogs, etc. I used to be one of those "young guys", but never had a problem like that. Now I am 41 and just play for fun, which is what it is all about right???

One odd rule that confused the heck out of a few guys on a team I played on in a tournament one time: U of Mich business school tournament, my buddy went to Cornell, and their team needed some players, so a few of my buddies said we'd play. Apparently (and I think this may be a USA hockey rules) the whistle is blown and play is stopped whenever an opposing players skate enters the goal crease. The play was blown down, and I questioned the ref, and he said the player's skate went in the crease. The look of bewilderment a few of us had was priceless.

Cams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 11:49 AM
Terry Yake

ahhh yes the ever so confusing skate in the crease rule

this has been something that has confused the heck out of me for a while now. in my league, this rule is almost never applied by the referees with the exception of two of them who have been known to apply it whenever they ref games. so whenever one of those two refs is working one of my teams games, we make sure to remind everyone that one of the refs is the one who enforces the skate in the crease rule.

does anyone know if this is a USA hockey rule? is it just rarely ever enforced or is it not even a rule and those two refs are still living in the 90s?

Terry Yake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 12:28 PM
JoeCool16

vCash: 1000
If that's the rule I guess it's the rule, and when in Rome... but it sounds like a pretty silly rule. I mean, if there's someone unskilled out there then I agree you should let him play with the puck every now and then, but that doesn't mean lying down and letting him slowly deke his way up the ice every time. Give him a better chance here and there, and other times remind him that he needs to see his surroundings and recognize the situation. He'll probably benefit from it in the long run.

It also depends on the situation I think. Are you up by three? Down by one? If it's a league game and my team is winning by a lot, we all ease up, especially on the newer players. The trick is not letting them notice, so they feel good too!

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 01:16 PM
fryer98

Rule 625(b)...

A face-off shall be conducted at the nearest neutral zone faceoff spot anytime an attacking player stands, holds his stick, or skates through the goal crease provided the puck is in the attacking zone, the attacking team has possession of the puck and the goalkeeper is in contact with the crease.
No goal may be scored with an attacking player in the goal crease unless the puck has preceded the player(s) into the goal crease or the goalkeeper is out of the goal crease area.
However, if the attacking player has been physically interfered with by the actions of a defending player that causes him to be in the goal crease, play shall not be stopped and any legal goal scored shall be allowed.

fryer98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 01:25 PM
Cams

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryer98 View Post
Rule 625(b)...

A face-off shall be conducted at the nearest neutral zone faceoff spot anytime an attacking player stands, holds his stick, or skates through the goal crease provided the puck is in the attacking zone, the attacking team has possession of the puck and the goalkeeper is in contact with the crease.
No goal may be scored with an attacking player in the goal crease unless the puck has preceded the player(s) into the goal crease or the goalkeeper is out of the goal crease area.
However, if the attacking player has been physically interfered with by the actions of a defending player that causes him to be in the goal crease, play shall not be stopped and any legal goal scored shall be allowed.
Googled that: Yep, USA hockey rule. I've played in many tournaments and never seen a rule like that, except for said tournament in Michigan. I actually think the play was whistled because a teammate of mine had his stick in the crease, not his skate.

Old
07-08-2014, 01:39 PM
BlueJazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool16 View Post
It also depends on the situation I think. Are you up by three? Down by one? If it's a league game and my team is winning by a lot, we all ease up, especially on the newer players. The trick is not letting them notice, so they feel good too!
I wish more teams understood this. I'm playing on a new team that has a lot of beginner's and even playing in the bottom division we are outclassed by every other team (currently 0-16). What gets me riled up, is that most teams we play never let up. Our worst game was 19-0, our average game would be about 12-1. As a beginner myself, I haven't played on a team that can dominate like that; but is it really still fun to keep running the score like that? I would think not, but maybe I'm wired differently.

BlueJazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 02:11 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I got called for delay of game for standing behind my net as a defense men and not moving the puck for 3 seconds. It was while playing roller, my team would run a re group and with no offsides that can take awhile. I've never seen it called since, never heard of it, never seen it called in the NHL. The ref said if you stand by the puck and don't move it he can call delay of game.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 02:23 PM
McDugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tikkanen View Post
I got called for delay of game for standing behind my net as a defense men and not moving the puck for 3 seconds. It was while playing roller, my team would run a re group and with no offsides that can take awhile. I've never seen it called since, never heard of it, never seen it called in the NHL. The ref said if you stand by the puck and don't move it he can call delay of game.
That's absurd. Ref causes far more delay by calling that penalty.

McDugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 03:20 PM
rh71

^ should be discretionary like if you're leading already and obviously trying to kill time. Otherwise warning to move it and most likely you would have.

Anyway, reminds me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VV1PrbkK3E

As for the OP, I would agree that it's an unspoken rule to not take the puck from your slower teammate unless he meant to give it up or was in the process of losing it. They're trying their best and finally get the puck - how would you feel if your own guy comes along and puts an end to that? What's better is if you ALWAYS intend to pass it back to them for a shot attempt - then they'd certainly appreciate that you're not just trying to hog the puck.

Last edited by rh71: 07-08-2014 at 03:34 PM.
rh71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 03:48 PM
fryer98

I played college roller hockey in the early 2000s. The best team in the country (by a long shot) would set up behind their net and wait for the forecheck to chase them out, making a 4v3 right away.

We decided we would sit back and wait for them. They sat behind their net for 10+ minutes doing nothing. Embarrassing to the sport. Other teams did the same thing and would take a knee and relax.

This wasn't a strategy to win. If they played straight up, they would have beat us pretty good. We just wanted to play hockey, win or lose.

Old
07-08-2014, 03:48 PM
fryer98

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
As for the OP, I would agree that it's an unspoken rule to not take the puck from your slower teammate unless he meant to give it up or was in the process of losing it. They're trying their best and finally get the puck - how would you feel if your own guy comes along and puts an end to that? What's better is if you ALWAYS intend to pass it back to them for a shot attempt - then they'd certainly appreciate that you're not just trying to hog the puck.
I could be wrong, but nothing was said about taking the puck from his own team.

Old
07-08-2014, 03:56 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
I played college roller hockey in the early 2000s. The best team in the country (by a long shot) would set up behind their net and wait for the forecheck to chase them out, making a 4v3 right away.

We decided we would sit back and wait for them. They sat behind their net for 10+ minutes doing nothing. Embarrassing to the sport. Other teams did the same thing and would take a knee and relax.

This wasn't a strategy to win. If they played straight up, they would have beat us pretty good. We just wanted to play hockey, win or lose.
Yup, we had a kid who was very good under 18 and was coached so we ran his system. If we attacked the zone and didn't like the play the guy with the puck would curl back and we would try again. With no offsides it can be incredibly frustrating to play against but it's a solid strategy to win games. I was simply standing behind my net, no pressure from the other team and no clear outlet pass. If I puck handle it with my feet still I don't see how that's any different than not doing anything. Come get the puck if you're upset.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 04:13 PM
intangible

vCash: 139
Quote:

Lindenwood.

intangible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 11:36 PM
nystromshairstylist
Puck control master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJazz View Post
I wish more teams understood this. I'm playing on a new team that has a lot of beginner's and even playing in the bottom division we are outclassed by every other team (currently 0-16). What gets me riled up, is that most teams we play never let up. Our worst game was 19-0, our average game would be about 12-1. As a beginner myself, I haven't played on a team that can dominate like that; but is it really still fun to keep running the score like that? I would think not, but maybe I'm wired differently.
A team that is up by ten goals and keeps pouring it on is made up of a--holes, there's no other way to describe them. Sounds like they are probably in the wrong division.

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 07:21 AM
shoeshine boy

I was scheduled to play in a tourney in Houston back in March where apparently if a female player scores the goal counts as 2 not 1. sadly I never got to experience it since the ice at the rink went down the day before the tourney so it never happened.

my regular Rec league has a "Hat Trick" rule. you're only allowed to score 3 goals per game. if you score after the 3rd one it doesn't count and the puck is taken all the way down to the other end like an icing.
it's a rule that has worked well.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 09:06 AM
intangible

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post
A team that is up by ten goals and keeps pouring it on is made up of a--holes, there's no other way to describe them. Sounds like they are probably in the wrong division.
I play on a team who has scored over 10 goals in 4 out of the 5 last games in the top division of a summer league. But, interestingly, I don't feel as if my team is pouring it on or is even really trying that hard. They've just played together a long time, make smart plays, and opportunities arise.

What I do hate is when a team is ahead and there's still a guy cherry picking. That's just trashy. It's one thing to play hard and get up on a team; it's another to be an a-hole out there and TRY to run up the score. In those cases that's when I, as a goalie, start looking to take out feet on breakaways.

intangible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 09:37 AM
fryer98

Quote:
Originally Posted by intangible View Post
Lindenwood.
Correct.

Old
07-09-2014, 10:11 AM
Cams

Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post
I played in a Sunday morning rec league, and my team was in the "rec" division (lowest). We were a bunch of guys out to have fun, play some hockey - nobody on our team played anything higher than maybe a few games (maybe 1 season) of Jr. C (here in Ontario). Most of the guys on my team, never even played organized hockey growing up. We were all in our 20s. We sucked, but had fun. In a 16 game season, we'd be happy to finish 5-11.

One team though, was bunch of guys who played Jr. C, B, and they lit up the league big time. There were a couple teams that we competed with, but these guys would win 11-0, 10-1 - scores like that. They did not let up. On top of it, they gooned it up too. They had a guy who was supposedly the "toughest guy in the county" when we played junior. Of course, before the game, you walked by their change room, and all you smelled was beer and pot - and this was Sunday mornings!!!!

Old
07-09-2014, 12:06 PM
buddhaknows

Just being a wise guy here but I'm surprised no one has mentioned this silly rule. The whole not being able to drink beer during the game while sitting on the bench is a perplexing one to me. It is beer league and most of us are sauced before the game begins so why not continue the party during the game?

buddhaknows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 12:48 PM
shoeshine boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhaknows View Post
Just being a wise guy here but I'm surprised no one has mentioned this silly rule. The whole not being able to drink beer during the game while sitting on the bench is a perplexing one to me. It is beer league and most of us are sauced before the game begins so why not continue the party during the game?
where I play you can't even have beer in the locker room or "officially" in the parking lot. I think it's partially because of kids that play at the rink and partially a liability issue.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 02:08 PM
Malarowski

vCash: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhaknows View Post
We play at a University rink, goes without saying that beer is frowned upon. I'll also never understand people drinking before/during the game, how do you perform with that level of dehydration, even just from a few beers?

Malarowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 03:33 PM
fryer98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malarowski View Post
I'll also never understand people drinking before/during the game, how do you perform with that level of dehydration, even just from a few beers?
Practice makes perfect!