HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Define hockey IQ

Old
07-02-2014, 11:45 AM
NHLFutureGuy3

vCash: 500
Define hockey IQ

What is your best definition, dictionary definition, and personal explanation of hockey IQ

NHLFutureGuy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 03:45 PM
Mr Fahrenheit
Valar Morghulis

I think its basically being able to read plays, the better/faster you can the higher your hockey IQ. Whether its defensively knowing what the puck carrier plans to do or offensively knowing the smartest play with the puck, be it pass back to your dman to regroup, dump it in or try to stall for help

Mainly, I guess, its things that go beyond tactics and strategies. Being able to improvise and think on your skates

Mr Fahrenheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 03:46 PM
Pacifist Goon

I don't have great hockey IQ, because I didn't grow up with the game, but every sport has an IQ element, which is the ability to read the game and make the appropriate and correct decisions. When I've coached kids I've always stressed the importance of them being good decision makers and to do everything they do for a reason; and to be able to explain why they took a certain option.

In hockey, obviously that translates into sound positional play and being able to read the play developing, anticipating what is going to happen next and being in the right place, making the right decisions at the right time, shooting when you should shoot, passing when you should pass and passing to the right person when you have more than one option, etc.

Pacifist Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 02:35 PM
leftwinger37

It's an intangable that encompasses a lot of different attributes, but it has basically become a hockey cliche that people like Pierre tend to over-use.

I think that somebody with a high hockey IQ is someone who understands the game beyond the X's and O's. Kind of like when you say someone is "street smart" as opposed to just being "book smart."

An in-game example of someone with a high hockey-IQ is someone who has good anticipation, creates good seperation from the puck, knows to move the puck to the "quiet ice," or has exceptional on-ice vision. These are all finer points of the game and some cannot always be coached or taught.

That's my definition, but it's completely subjective and open-ended. It's kind of like defining what it means when a player plays the game "the right way."

leftwinger37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 09:36 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Reading the ice and knowing what to do to make good things happen.

Offensively, good positioning, knowing when to drive the net, when to go to the boards, when to support, how to get open, working to open space for your teammates, making good passes, etc.

Defensively, good positioning, getting in passing lanes, intercepting passes, forcing players to the outside, skating the puck out of trouble, making a good first pass to exit the zone.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 12:07 PM
sanityplease

Basically, it's the part of a player's game which isn't dictated by physical ability and/or motor skills.

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 01:37 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

It comes down to spatial intelligence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spatial...8psychology%29

Aside from having an understanding of strategy, a player with high hockey IQ is able to observe the relationship of all the bodies on the ice simultaneously, and anticipate the next stage of their development.

In the case of a phenom like Gretzky, he might see as much as several seconds ahead of the play -- primarily because he had an extraordinary grasp of the physical location and trajectory of each player and the puck, and could process that information so quickly that he still had time left over to come up with clever ways to use their momentum and positioning against them.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 03:14 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
To me hockey IQ is being able to figure out what you need to do to help your team win. Spacing without the puck, always being open, covering open men on their breakouts, denying the best player the puck, all the little intangibles that lead to success. A lot of hockey players dictate success just by goals scored.

The Tikkanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 01:12 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
It comes down to spatial intelligence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spatial...8psychology%29

Aside from having an understanding of strategy, a player with high hockey IQ is able to observe the relationship of all the bodies on the ice simultaneously, and anticipate the next stage of their development.

In the case of a phenom like Gretzky, he might see as much as several seconds ahead of the play -- primarily because he had an extraordinary grasp of the physical location and trajectory of each player and the puck, and could process that information so quickly that he still had time left over to come up with clever ways to use their momentum and positioning against them.
its this,

in a practical example you could put a player with high hockey IQ in a complex team defensive system and they would quickly adapt to the flow of the play. you could take that same player and dump him on an outdoor rink (assuming equally skilled players) and he would adapt to that quickly as well. Its basically seeing the play before it happens, regularly.

some players will see a forecheck happening in front of them and can quickly analyze the situation to know that player has 2 maybe 3 options and is ready to move to the most likely option to happen. To put it in context its like how professional Poker players can calculate their odds based off their cards and the cards on the table and can easily adjust those odds as another card is flipped.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2014, 05:48 AM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

To me it is the ability to read and react to the play along with knowing where to be and when you need to be there.

Some guys know where to be before the play even fully develops and are able to take advantage of it. On the other hand you have your Benoit Pouliot's of the world who just don't think the game fast enough to maximize their potential. Skill is one thing, knowing what to do or where to be with that skill to be effective is quite another and that is what I consider hockey sense.

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote