HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Coyotes buy out Mike Ribeiro

Old
07-08-2014, 12:51 PM
cobra427

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
I would expect Trevling to not want Ribeiro on the Flames.
I still believe that noone could find Ribeiro, including his agent, so he could waive his NMC. I don't believe for a second that Maloney would have talked about MR behavior issues if he was traded. And I can't imagine why MR wouldn't waive his NMC. But I could believe he has disappeared on a bender...
When DM says behavioral issues, I wonder what he means? Being a jerk is one thing, but certain substances can make things worse. This leads me to my next question. I wonder if the NHL substance abuse and behavioral policy allows players to seek assistance in the program while the reasons for assistance remain confidential. This would mean NHL executives are aware of that a problem exists, is being dealt with, but the executives can't say anything about it. I wonder if the entire NHL knows the real problem because Ribs is seeking help, and that is why nobody is signing him now. Ribs has too much skill for there to be zero interest from anyone even if he has behavioral issues.

cobra427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 12:54 PM
The Feckless Puck
Consumer of Timbits

vCash: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra427 View Post
When DM says behavioral issues, I wonder what he means? Being a jerk is one thing, but certain substances can make things worse. This leads me to my next question. I wonder if the NHL substance abuse and behavioral policy allows players to seek assistance in the program while the reasons for assistance remain confidential. This would mean NHL executives are aware of that a problem exists, is being dealt with, but the executives can't say anything about it. I wonder if the entire NHL knows the real problem because Ribs is seeking help, and that is why nobody is signing him now. Ribs has too much skill for there to be zero interest from anyone even if he has behavioral issues.
Maybe it's just me, but the verbiage you usually see about an athlete with drug or alcohol problems doesn't mesh with the tenor of what Don Maloney said about Ribeiro when they bought him out.

Maybe - and I'm just spitballing here - maybe Ribeiro is simply an irredeemable *******.

The Feckless Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 01:00 PM
cobra427

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyllyx View Post
Maybe it's just me, but the verbiage you usually see about an athlete with drug or alcohol problems doesn't mesh with the tenor of what Don Maloney said about Ribeiro when they bought him out.

Maybe - and I'm just spitballing here - maybe Ribeiro is simply an irredeemable *******.
Maybe DM had to use that language because unless Ribs tested positive for a banned substance, DM would be speculating as to any substance abuse issues. DM legally could not say substance abuse. If he did test positive, that would be disclosed. If he voluntarily enters the NHL program, I am not sure how that works but I think it would be confidential. Or, maybe he refuses any treatment and that is why DM cut bait. The real story will surface sooner or later but I think it is more then Ribs just "not behaving".

cobra427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 01:01 PM
gra
Custom User Title

vCash: 466
If Ribs did test positive for a banned substance or 2, he would have been punished on the spot and it would have been reported to the media.

gra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 04:02 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt45Blast View Post
If Ribs did test positive for a banned substance or 2, he would have been punished on the spot and it would have been reported to the media.
A banned substance by the NHLPA? Or an illegal drug by federal law? 2 different topics.

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 10:53 PM
ctwin22
Go Desert Dogs

Looks like Ribs has got two clubs to choose from...1 in the west and 1 in the east.

Any guesses guys?

My guess is Vancouver and Detroit

ctwin22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 10:55 PM
gra
Custom User Title

Hoping its either LA or Pittsburgh.
Hoping its not San Jose or Tampa Bay.

Old
07-14-2014, 11:26 PM
Desert Ice 11
;)

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindiggy View Post
Looks like Ribs has got two clubs to choose from...1 in the west and 1 in the east.

Any guesses guys?

My guess is Vancouver and Detroit
Calgary or Vancouver for the west. Buffalo or Florida for east

Desert Ice 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 10:38 AM
The Feckless Puck
Consumer of Timbits

Preds, 1.05 mil. Good luck, Nashville.

Old
07-15-2014, 10:55 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyllyx View Post
Preds, 1.05 mil. Good luck, Nashville.
http://www.tennessean.com/story/pred...tors/12671837/

Quote:
"Mike is a talented veteran center who has produced offensively everywhere he has played," Predators general manager David Poile said in a press release. "We have done our due diligence and believe Mike has a lot to offer to our team, improves us at our center ice position and will fit in with our group and contribute."
Interesting. I guess if he falls off the wagon, they can just waive him, assign him to the minors, and suspend him without pay when he refuses to report.

07-15-2014, 11:05 AM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Wonder if Ribs will rebound with James Neal as his wing. On paper, that's pretty much an ideal match.

IPreferPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 11:08 AM
CC96
Serious Offender

Just because we're the Coyotes, watch him clean up his act, put up 60+ points in Lavi's system, and tear it up on the top-line with Neal and Smith.

Well either that, or he flames out and doesn't get another chance in the league. Anyway, hope the dude can get his act together.

CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 11:08 AM
Mosby
Howl On

Hopefully he can be as big as of distraction in Nashville as he was here.

Mosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 11:16 AM
Mosby
Howl On

The Preds should bring back Radulov and Kostitsyn, pair them with Ribeiro and call it the The Scottsdale Party line.

Mosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 11:25 AM
The Feckless Puck
Consumer of Timbits

It bears mentioning that two of Nashville's three center acquisitions since July 1st have been Olli Jokinen and Mike Ribeiro.

Old
07-15-2014, 11:36 AM
Fyreman
Ret FD Batt Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
http://www.tennessean.com/story/pred...tors/12671837/
Interesting. I guess if he falls off the wagon, they can just waive him, assign him to the minors, and suspend him without pay when he refuses to report.
I like this the best: "We have done our due diligence...," where have I heard that before?? Ribeiro, four teams in four years- nice track record.

WOW- Preds sign this disenchanted malcontent AND Olli Jokinen!! Good luck with that...

Fyreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 11:38 AM
Grimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC96 View Post
Just because we're the Coyotes, watch him clean up his act, put up 60+ points in Lavi's system, and tear it up on the top-line with Neal and Smith.

Well either that, or he flames out and doesn't get another chance in the league. Anyway, hope the dude can get his act together.
Either that or he is out a couple months after the Coyotes visit OCT 21st.

But seriously that first home game against the Preds should be interesting. Oli AND Ribs in our barn. May need to get glass seats to watch the fireworks up close.

Grimes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 11:40 AM
XX
Avoiding the Cap

Wasn't the place where he was flipping pucks and texting a girl while being a huge distraction to the team Nashville?

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 12:56 PM
Fallenone

I wish the Guy Good Luck!!! Time To Move On.

Fallenone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 01:44 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Actually we most likely would not have heard about it unless it was his 2nd or later offense. NHL's substance abuse program doesn't suspend players for a 1st offense and tries to keep the whole issue quiet.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 01:47 PM
gra
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
Actually we most likely would not have heard about it unless it was his 2nd or later offense. NHL's substance abuse program doesn't suspend players for a 1st offense and tries to keep the whole issue quiet.
I learn something new everyday, thanks!

Old
07-15-2014, 02:00 PM
hbk
HFBoards Sponsor

Ribeiro's comments on last season are quite telling. Essentially he says he gave up on the season because he wanted to focus on himself and getting his issues sorted out. That essentially cost us a post-season berth. And we wonder why Maloney and the rest of the Coyote players were so peeved?

"I was not committed to my job because of my issues. I just wanted the year to be over so I could go work on them so I could go be a healthy person," Ribeiro said.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 02:04 PM
gra
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
Ribeiro's comments on last season are quite telling. Essentially he says he gave up on the season because he wanted to focus on himself and getting his issues sorted out. That essentially cost us a post-season berth. And we wonder why Maloney and the rest of the Coyote players were so peeved?

"I was not committed to my job because of my issues. I just wanted the year to be over so I could go work on them so I could go be a healthy person," Ribeiro said.
But we could also add that Maloney could have had a better trade deadline that would have given us a playoff spot even when Ribeiro wasn't at his best in the 2nd half. In truth, our inability to not make the playoffs last season can be blamed on several other factors and not just 1.

Old
07-15-2014, 02:05 PM
Sciamachy
Shadow Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post

Should have just taken a leave of absence like when Demo was going through family stuff. Would have been better for everyone it seems.

Sciamachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 02:10 PM
hbk
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
But we could also add that Maloney could have had a better trade deadline that would have given us a playoff spot even when Ribeiro wasn't at his best in the 2nd half. In truth, our inability to not make the playoffs last season can be blamed on several other factors and not just 1.
I don't think there are any secrets about Ribeiro's issues and between his crappy play and the size of his contract what do you think the Coyotes could have acquired at the deadline for Ribeiro? Given our budget restrictions we weren't in much of a position to add. We had to force Washington to take a contract in order to even acquire Erat.

If there is criticism here for Phoenix management it's on the decision to sign Ribeiro in the first place. Tippett recommended Ribeiro so he's not free from criticism on this. What a horrific signing in retrospect. My take away about July 1st is we should avoid trying to solve top line scoring through UFA. We just can't afford to be wrong.

Last edited by hbk: 07-15-2014 at 02:15 PM.
hbk is offline   Reply With Quote