HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Interesting article about good and badly run teams

Old
07-07-2014, 06:11 PM
hockeydoug

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
poorly written but true.

Still think Tallon gets too much credit for the 1st cup. I think bringing in Hossa was a big changer
I always pointed to Bowman's hire in the summer of 08' as when things shifted, and I agree about too much credit. I think Bowman's hiring by McDonough saved Tallon's career. I'm still curious how Tallon navigates through the next 2 years.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 06:17 PM
hockeydoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
Cap hell was a pretty big thing though. Not something that should be easily written off
I was reminded of this when I saw that they have 27.5+, of possibly budgeted capspace, on Luongo, Mitchell, Versteeg, Bolland, Campbell, and Jokinen for 2016. He has a bunch of significant RFAs to deal with this offseason and next as well.

Old
07-07-2014, 06:30 PM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

Quote:
Cap hell was a pretty big thing though. Not something that should be easily written off
It is, but all the bad tends to get forgotten if the hardware is won. Tallon's bold gamble paid off for Hawks, (though indirectly as he was no longer running the show). But that's why he still has a job in the NHL.

As for the article: convenient how the author took the seemingly worst case scenario of all the players he mentioned - meanwhile the entire hockey world knew that Tallon needed to spend to comply with the cap rules. That said, Tallon's future will likely be dictated in the next 2 -3 years. As the Hawks did earlier, the Panther players will quite likely play their hearts out for him.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 06:42 PM
hockeydoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
It is, but all the bad tends to get forgotten if the hardware is won. Tallon's bold gamble paid off for Hawks, (though indirectly as he was no longer running the show). But that's why he still has a job in the NHL.

As for the article: convenient how the author took the seemingly worst case scenario of all the players he mentioned - meanwhile the entire hockey world knew that Tallon needed to spend to comply with the cap rules. That said, Tallon's future will likely be dictated in the next 2 -3 years. As the Hawks did earlier, the Panther players will quite likely play their hearts out for him.
He blew by the cap and still has a number of significant RFAs to deal with including Gubranson and Kulikov. He still needs to add dmen too. He could have passed on Bolland and Mitchell and been compliant without taking on cap dumps. I don't think the floor was an issue.

As far as the "hearts" thing goes, I don't remember effort being consistent for 3 years before Q was brought in after Scotty. "Commit to the Indian" comes to mind too. I think perception carried Tallon farther than accomplishment, just like it has in Florida to this point. How many gms get to use 4 coaches in 4 years and get to keep their job?

Old
07-07-2014, 07:25 PM
Hawkaholic

Yeah, he didn't have to sign Bolland to 5.5 to become cap compliant. He could have went with 4mil and still got there. He thinks he's a 5mil player, and he thinks Mitchell is a 4mil Dman.

He just has to over pay players to get them to go to Florida, which is partly his fault because he has built a crappy team and it started when he signed Jovo, Upshall, Bergenheim, Kopecky, etc when his owner gave him money to spend.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 08:10 PM
Johnny Hawkey

He may have wanted Marty over Hoss, but he still signed Hossa didn't he? Last time I checked, I think that counts as bringing him in.

Johnny Hawkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 08:21 PM
southernbeardown54

I think tallon is incredibly overrated by some hawk fans but to be fair he HAS to overpay to get people to go there right now and he needs vets to help develop those kids. Bolland knows how to win and he should help teach those kids how to compete.

southernbeardown54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 09:24 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Quote:
It was but Tallon had a proverbial gun to his head. With the addition of Scotty and Stan waiting in the wings, the writing was on the wall. Overpaid for UFAs like Campbell b/c Chicago was NOT a destination of choice at the time. Overpaid for everyone. That was another strategy of his since the Hawks were not the team it is today. The biggest complaint for me would be his inability to draft and essentially revamp the scouting staff. Many were holdovers from W3 days. If a team needed a rebuild, Tallon would be on my short list of GMs to do it.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 12:25 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Hawkey View Post
He may have wanted Marty over Hoss, but he still signed Hossa didn't he? Last time I checked, I think that counts as bringing him in.
It was Bowman, not Tallon

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 05:41 AM
ReillyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
It was Bowman, not Tallon
Hossa signed in 08 offseason, Tallon fired/"demoted" in 09.

ReillyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 05:53 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

it was the same offseason and Hossa signed 09

Old
07-08-2014, 09:13 AM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Hawkey View Post
He was technically still the GM, but a guy who is being fired 12 days after Hossa signed is not the guy to give the credit to for his signing.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 09:34 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbeardown54 View Post
I think tallon is incredibly overrated by some hawk fans but to be fair he HAS to overpay to get people to go there right now and he needs vets to help develop those kids. Bolland knows how to win and he should help teach those kids how to compete.
many Hawks fans forgets this point or weren't a Hawk fan when the days were dark.

I will always love Tallon as he is the man that turned us around. And in order for us to be competitive he HAD to go out and throw $$$ at players to just get them to come to this grave yard of a hockey town. Huet, BC, Khabi, etc all got more money then they should have, but all got lured here to play and to help put us on the map.

He is doing the same thing in Florida as he wants to make the Panthers a destination players no longer just look past. I agree he might have gone a bit nuts, and Bolland's contract is up there, but the Mitchell contract is the one I hate the most as I didn't think he even needed that guy...but Tallon knows he can't just rely on the kids, he needs some vets as well to help out.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 10:21 AM
hockeydoug

Quote:
He is doing the same thing in Florida
I completely agree.

Walking into a franchise ready to spend and full of useful assets, bad hires and lots of them (although Kelley might be his best intentional contribution to the Hawks), wasting assets (from Ellerby, to roster slots, to cap space, to ice time), and limiting long term flexibility for his favorite players to have a contract they shouldn't have.

All we need to see are some poorly constructed extensions to the young players and it will be a near match. Gudbranson's might get that train rolling.

Tallon needs help like he got in Chicago after his 10th place WC finish in year 5 of the rebuild. Preferably help that he doesn't hire himself. I loved Dale in the booth, but he's just not even showing much in the way of evolving as a gm.

Old
07-08-2014, 10:27 AM
madgoat33

shouldn't it be well and poorly?

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 12:55 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
He was technically still the GM, but a guy who is being fired 12 days after Hossa signed is not the guy to give the credit to for his signing.
knowing that he wanted Havlat over Hossa